Weapons & Equip Throwin' the Better Gear into Terraria!

you want to make boomerangs throwing weapons. that would mess up so many peoples builds and have massive repercussions. its fine when you change one weapon to another type of damage, like the harpoon. but changing an entire type? not a good idea.
Well, I Mean, 1.3 Made All Consumable Ranged Weapons Throwing.

I'm not really a fan of this. It's hard to put into words why, but I think a lot of your ideas come off too...modish? As I said, it's hard to put into words. Just that a lot of ideas don't quite seem to mesh with Terraria's design philosophy, and seem more like things you would see in fanmade content. There are individual ideas I like - like making the boomerangs throwing, which for-sure should have been done the moment throwing got its own damage type, but I'm not sold on a lot of it. I really don't like the Obsidian Outlaw changes - not because of the throwing bonus, which is as valid as any other option (and they do need something), but because I think that changing the recipe takes away a big element of what the set is meant to be. I'd rather have a weaker buff than a harder recipe.

Reactions: Bry
Quick suggestion. The Fire Glove should have somewhat of a special. By holding right click, you can charge up and fire off a blast like the Mario Finale of Smash Brothers at the cost of using extra ammo.

Jesus christ, do I have a lot of weapons in the Normal/Conversion section now.
I've also got more Throwing armor sets, though 4 of them are just pre-existing armor sets I modifed.
I've even got better accessories now, for Christ's sake.

...Meanwhile, I only have three freakin' explosive weapons. Which is a problem, since I only have one other idea for an explosive.
Anyone have any ideas? If I add 'em in, you'll be credited for the idea.

Great post overall. Great effort and good implementation as well.
That said I have some criticism/suggestions

1. I don't think ninja armor needs a flat out nerf nerf. It would be better if the loss of base stats was complemented by a rework into a throwing based utility armor balanced by low defense.
Here are a few possible set bonuses to complement it:
-movespeed- simple but thematically fitting and balanced
-jump height- see above
-A timed debuff similar to titanium armor's dodge giving percentage based damage mitigation instead of a complete dodge- likely harder to balance but interesting and thematic

2. I don't like the idea of scabbards, boomerangs returning instantly infringes on their identity as bouncing weapons and makes them less interesting. I'd try to come up with something else instead with a less intrusive effect that doesn't infringe on the concept of the weapon itself.

Great post overall. Great effort and good implementation as well.
That said I have some criticism/suggestions

1. I don't think ninja armor needs a flat out nerf nerf. It would be better if the loss of base stats was complemented by a rework into a throwing based utility armor balanced by low defense.
Here are a few possible set bonuses to complement it:
-movespeed- simple but thematically fitting and balanced
-jump height- see above
-A timed debuff similar to titanium armor's dodge giving percentage based damage mitigation instead of a complete dodge- likely harder to balance but interesting and thematic

2. I don't like the idea of scabbards, boomerangs returning instantly infringes on their identity as bouncing weapons and makes them less interesting. I'd try to come up with something else instead with a less intrusive effect that doesn't infringe on the concept of the weapon itself.
Thank you thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it.
1. You know, I used to have it as a utility armor (movement AND jump height), but then I thought that was too powerful, for some reason. Not real sure what I was thinkin' at the time, but I'll change that back. By the way, I actually DID consider a Titanium Armor-like effect before, but I though the concept was too similar to the Black Belt (plus, you know, it's also ninja-themed), so I decided against it.
2. Why the hell I never realized that in the time leading up to you saying that is beyond me. I'll have to come up with something to replace it, then. Maybe an "edge" you can put on the boomerang to let it cut through enemies (like a piercing effect)?
Kinda like what the BTD 6 Boomerang Thrower's kylie glaives have, but a little less exaggerated.
upload_2019-5-4_21-13-11.png

Back
Top Bottom