Weapons & Equip Throwing Class Overhaul and Hardmode Thrower Stuff

What do you think of these suggestions?

• I love it all!

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • I like some suggestions, but not all (share below!)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I think the throwing class needs an expansion, but not this

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't think the throwing class needs to be expanded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have suggestions of my own (share below!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CellarDoor96

Terrarian
So I've seen a few other suggestions for the throwing class floating around, but I wanted to try my own hand at expanding out this currently lackluster class. Now, first, a disclaimer: I have never actually played a dedicated thrower character, but I'm pretty familiar with how the game works and I have lots of experience with the other classes, so I like to think I'm pretty qualified to make game design decisions about throwers. But if anyone out there has played a thrower and thinks I've made some horrible, horrible mistake, feel free to let me know.

And another disclaimer, I have no experience whatsoever with sprite art, so if any spriters out there feel like donating some of their time to make some sprites for me, I would be really, really grateful. I didn't include descriptions of what any of the items look like so spriters could have more freedom, but if you want I can tell you how I envision them.

Anyway, throwers. Introduced as their own damage type in 1.3, currently they are the only class with absolutely no hardmode content. Even summoner, when it was introduced in 1.2 with just five items total, had both pre-hardmode and hardmode content. Naturally, with so many possibilities opened up by the addition of throwing damage yet so few of them taken, the fanbase has been clamoring for throwing to be made into a full class ever since it was introduced. The main issue, as I see it, is that throwing has a hard time distinguishing itself from the ranged class, since both are ammo-based, long-range, glass-cannon classes, not to mention many late-game melee weapons behave like throwing weapons but without the ammo problem.

In light of this, I want to lay down a few design philosophies that I've already observed to a limited extent in the existing thrower class, but have expanded on with my suggestions. These are as follows:

-The throwing class uses ammo, but does not share ammo types as the ranged class does. Obviously most throwing weapons are ammo, but with the addition of the Bone Glove the possibility opens up for non-consumable throwing weapons that consume separate ammo, like ranged weapons do. With this in mind, I propose that throwing weapons should be differentiated from ranged weapons in that they consume only one type of ammo each, rather than being able to switch between different ammo types. What this would do is reduce the flexibility of each individual throwing weapon, but allow for more variation between throwing weapons since they can have their own gimmicks instead of depending on ammo types. This would make them different from ranged weapons which are, more or less, dependent on their ammo for any variation besides DPS. Of course there are some exceptions to this on both sides, such as the Pumpkin Moon ranged weapons and my Galactic Power Cells listed below, but I want this to be more of a theme to differentiate ranged and throwing than a hard and fast rule. Also, since I'm defining throwing weapons as using ammo, this means that weapons that do not use ammo are not throwing weapons, even if they're visibly thrown. That means that I won't be changing boomerangs, Daybreak, or Vampire Knives to throwing. The reason for this is that I want to add content rather than rocking the boat too much, that and removing some of those weapons from melee would severely cripple it. Also, all the current throwing weapons follow this trend, so why shouldn't I follow it, too?

-Throwing weapons are slower than ranged weapons, but deal more damage. This is not the case in the very early game where, for instance, the Platinum Bow has a power of 13 + arrow damage and a use time of 24 while the Shuriken has a power of 10 and a use time of 14, but toward the end of pre-hardmode and certainly into hardmode ranged weapons become noticeably more pew-pew while thrown weapons become more wham-bam. Because of this I'm attempting to differentiate thrown weapons by giving them a lot more punch but a slower fire rate, so that they aren't just a clone of the ranger class at endgame.

-And finally, throwers are glass cannons. This is already reflected in the existing thrower armors, but basically throwers should be extremely powerful but have very low survivability, even lower than rangers. I want thrower to be a high-risk, high-reward playstyle that requires lots of dodging but can potentially tear through bosses in seconds.

So, now that we've defined what a thrower is and isn't and how they're different from rangers, let's get to the suggestions part.

First of all, I want to propose one major change to the mechanics of the throwing class:

-Throwing weapons are now affected by melee speed. I mean, logically, if you can swing a sword faster, shouldn't you be able to throw a knife faster, too? With this, throwers would have yet another way to differentiate themselves from rangers, whose weapons' speeds can only be modified by reforges on the weapons themselves (which makes sense, since the player is not shooting the bullets, the weapon is, so any buffs to the player shouldn't affect how fast the weapon shoots). It would also give throwers a way to get an edge speed-wise over the other classes, since unlike them most of their weapons cannot be reforged. Since currently there aren't that many ways to increase melee speed in pre-hardmode, I don't think this change would unbalance the existing thrower content too much, but if you think differently then let me know. All of my suggestions below are made with the assumption that this change has been made.

Now, with that out of the way, here are the items!

Crafting Materials:

Origami Paper (Thanks to samufinland for this idea!)

Bought from the Traveling Merchant for 25 copper each
Stacks up to 99

Basilisk Bone

Dropped by Basilisks with a 33% chance, in stacks of 10-15 (12-20 in expert mode) (replaces current Sturdy Fossil drop)
Stacks up to 999

Lihzahrd Machine Part

Dropped by Lihzahrds and Flying Snakes with a 10% chance, in stacks of 1-3 (2-4 in expert mode)
Stacks up to 99

Galaxy Fragment

Dropped by Galactic Pillar, 12-60 Galaxy Fragments per kill (18-90 in expert mode)
Stacks up to 999
"A million stars burn within this fragment"

The Galactic Pillar is a new, white-colored pillar that sometimes spawns during the Lunar Event. Only four pillars still spawn at a time, but which four spawn is chosen at random. Any four of the five types of fragments can now be used to craft Celestial Sigils and Super Healing Potions, and any three of the fragments can now make either of the other two. The Lunar Hook now adds a white-colored hook to its cycle but still only has 4 hooks at once, and it now requires all five fragments to craft. I don't have any enemy designs for the Galactic Pillar yet, but they will come soon.

Accessories:

Baseball Glove

Bought from the Skeleton Merchant during waxing moon phases for 1 gold
+10% throwing velocity

Thrower Emblem

Dropped by Wall of Flesh
+15% throwing damage

Servo Arm

Bought from the Steampunker at night for 20 gold
+10% melee speed
+15% throwing velocity

Heads-Up Display

Bought from the Cyborg for 15 gold
Right click to zoom out while holding a throwing weapon
Displays throwing weapon trajectory (can be disabled by hiding the accessory slot) (thanks to samufinland for this idea!)

Targeting Computer

Crafted from Avenger Emblem and Heads-Up Display at a Tinkerer's Workbench
+15% throwing critical strike chance
Displays throwing weapon trajectory (can be disabled by hiding the accessory slot)

Robot Hand

Bought from the Cyborg for 1 platinum after Martian Madness has been defeated
Throws duplicates of your currently equipped throwing item, at no cost, when concentrating fire on one enemy for more than 3 seconds (Does not stack with Robotic Arm or Robotic Backpack; projectiles thrown this way are non-retrievable)

Robotic Arm

Crafted from Servo Arm and Robot Hand at a Tinkerer's Workbench
+9% melee speed
+15% throwing velocity
Throws duplicates of your currently equipped throwing item, at no cost, when concentrating fire on one enemy for more than 3 seconds (Does not stack with Robot Hand or Robotic Backpack; projectiles thrown this way are non-retrievable)

Robotic Backpack

Crafted with Targeting Computer and Robotic Arm at a Tinkerer's Workbench
+12% throwing critical strike chance
+8% melee speed
+12% throwing velocity
Displays throwing weapon trajectory (can be disabled by hiding the accessory slot)
Throws duplicates of your currently equipped throwing item, at no cost, when concentrating fire on one enemy for more than 3 seconds (Does not stack with Robot Hand or Robotic Arm; projectiles thrown this way are non-retrievable)

Galaxy Wings

Crafted with 14 Galaxy Fragments and 10 Luminite Bars
3.33 seconds of flight time, +150% horizontal movement speed, and 165 tiles of ascent

Buff Furniture:

Pitching Machine

Bought from the Skeleton Merchant during a new moon for 15 gold
Right click for Batter Up! buff, which lasts for 10 minutes and grants +10% throwing velocity and 15% chance not to consume thrown items

Armors:

Basilisk Armor

Basilisk Headgear
Crafted with 40 Basilisk Bones
6 defense
+25% throwing velocity

Basilisk Mail
Crafted with 50 Basilisk Bones
7 defense
+30% throwing damage
+5% melee damage

Basilisk Leggings
Crafted with 45 Basilisk Bones
6 defense
+20% throwing critical strike chance

Set bonus: 50% chance not to consume thrown item

Lihzahrd Armor

Lihzahrd Mask
Crafted with 12 Lihzahrd Machine Parts and 12 Chlorophyte Bars
8 defense
+30% throwing velocity
60% chance not to consume thrown item

Lihzahrd Vest
Crafted with 24 Lihzahrd Machine Parts and 24 Chlorophyte Bars
12 defense
+40% throwing damage
+15% melee speed

Lihzahrd Pants
Crafted with 18 Lihzahrd Machine Parts and 18 Chlorophyte Bars
10 defense
+25% throwing critical strike chance
+10% movement speed

Set bonus: Thrown items will turn once to hit an enemy, like Chlorophyte bullets

Galactic Armor

Galactic Helmet
Crafted with 10 Galaxy Fragments and 8 Luminite Bars
10 defense
+35% throwing velocity
75% chance not to consume thrown item

Galactic Breastplate
Crafted with 20 Galaxy Fragments and 16 Luminite Bars
14 defense
+50% throwing damage
+25% melee speed

Galactic Leggings
Crafted with 15 Galaxy Fragments and 12 Luminite Bars
12 defense
+30% throwing critical strike chance
+15% movement speed

Set bonus: Each time a throwing weapon hits an enemy, it will summon a small galaxy from the sky that homes and deals 100 static damage

Weapons:

Unless stated otherwise, all consumable weapons are retrievable with a 50% chance.

Thanks to samufinland for the Sling, Bouncy Ball, and paper airplane ideas!

Sling

Crafted from 5 Wood and 3 Cobweb
8 throwing damage
22 use time
5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 5 blocks
Consumes Acorns

Bouncy Ball

Crafted from 1 Pink Gel (makes 15 Bouncy Balls)
Stacks up to 99
7 throwing damage
20 use time
7 velocity
Affected by gravity after 10 blocks
Bounces and pierces an infinite number of times for 8 seconds

Paper Dart Plane

Crafted from 1 Origami Paper (makes 1 Paper Dart Plane)
Stacks up to 99
10 throwing damage
19 use time
6 velocity
Affected by gravity after 14 blocks
Pierces up to 4 enemies
Gains +2 velocity if flying with the wind and loses 2 velocity if flying against the wind
Is not itself retrievable, but drops Origami Paper instead 100% of the time; not affected by ammo conservation bonuses

Paper Stealth Plane

Crafted from 1 Origami Paper (makes 1 Paper Stealth Plane)
Stacks up to 99
9 throwing damage
19 use time
5.5 velocity
Base critical strike chance is 24%
Gains +2 velocity if flying with the wind and loses 2 velocity if flying against the wind
Is not itself retrievable, but drops Origami Paper instead 100% of the time; not affected by ammo conservation bonuses

Paper Ring Plane

Crafted from 1 Origami Paper (makes 1 Paper Ring Plane)
Stacks up to 99
10 throwing damage
19 use time
5.5 velocity
Has insane knockback
Gains +4 velocity if flying with the wind and loses 4 velocity if flying against the wind

Paper Helicopter

Crafted from 1 Origami Paper (makes 1 Paper Helicopter)
Stacks up to 99
9 throwing damage
19 use time
6 velocity
Affected by gravity after 14 blocks (if it doesn't home on an enemy)
Homes in on enemies

Baseball

Bought from the Skeleton Merchant during waxing moon phases for 1 silver each
Stacks up to 99
13 throwing damage
14 use time
7 velocity
Affected by gravity after 22 blocks (unless deflected)
Can be deflected by Baseball Bat, and when deflected deals double damage and inflicts On Fire! for 5-6 seconds
Retrievable with a 100% chance if not deflected, but if deflected is not retrievable; not affected by ammo conservation bonuses

Baseball Bat

Bought from the Skeleton Merchant during waxing moon phases for 5 gold
14 melee damage
23 use time
Can deflect Baseballs, doubling their damage and setting them on fire

Steam-Powered Glove

Dropped by Wall of Flesh
10 throwing damage
15 use time
1.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 28 blocks
Consumes Clockwork Knives

Clockwork Knife

Bought from the Merchant and Steampunker during hardmode for 25 copper each
Stacks up to 999
21 throwing damage
16 use time
8.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 28 blocks
Turns once to hit an enemy, like Chlorophyte Bullets
Can be used as ammo for the Steam-Powered Glove

Mirror Discus

Crafted with 1 Basilisk Bone and 1 Glass Block (makes 25 Mirror Discuses)
Stacks up to 999
33 throwing damage
18 use time
8.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 20 blocks
Has a 5% chance to inflict Stoned for 1-2 seconds

Greek Fireball

Crafted with 1 Soul of Light and 1 Cursed Flame (makes 25 Greek Fireballs)
Stacks up to 999
35 throwing damage
20 use time
10 velocity
Affected by gravity after 12 blocks
Inflicts Cursed Inferno for 5-6 seconds
Not retrievable

Ichor Bomb

Crafted with 1 Soul of Night and 1 Ichor (makes 25 Ichor Bombs)
Stacks up to 999
40 throwing damage
32 use time
6.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 5 blocks
Explodes into a shower of ichor and inflicts Ichor for 10 seconds
Not retrievable

Mistletoe Javelin

Crafted with 1 Hallowed Bar and 1 Soul of Fright (makes 50 Mistletoe Javelins)
Stacks up to 999
60 throwing damage
21 use time
11.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 36 blocks
Inflicts Achilles Heel for 10 seconds (Achilles Heel is a unique debuff that increases the critical strike chance of all attacks to land on the affected enemy by 20%)

Bat Chakram

Crafted with 1 Broken Bat Wing (makes 150 Bat Chakrams)
Stacks up to 999
52 throwing damage
16 use time
13 velocity
Affected by gravity after 65 blocks
Base critical strike chance is 10%
Bounces or pierces up to three times

Flower Discus

Bought from the Dryad after Plantera has been defeated for 1 silver 10 copper each
Stacks up to 999
66 throwing damage
17 use time
10.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 52 blocks
Inflicts Poisoned for 8-10 seconds

Lihzahrd Spike Ball

Crafted with 1 Lihzahrd Machine Part (makes 100 Lihzahrd Spike Balls)
Stacks up to 999
45 throwing damage
14 use time
7 velocity
Bounces around for 10 seconds, dealing piercing damage to enemies on contact
Can be used as ammo for the Lihzahrd Claw

Lihzahrd Claw

Dropped by Lihzahrds with a 0.5% chance
20 throwing damage
14 use time
2.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 24 blocks
Consumes Lihzahrd Spike Ball
Throws Lihzahrd Spike Balls with greater velocity
"It could really use a manicure."

Blessed Bone

Dropped by post-Plantera dungeon enemies, except for the Paladin and Dungeon Spirit, with a 10% chance and in stacks of 12-15 (15-20 in expert mode)
Stacks up to 999
56 throwing damage
14 use time
8.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 56 blocks
Deals 50% more damage against undead enemies such as skeletons and zombies
Can be used as ammo for the Bone Glove

Electrified Bola

Dropped by Martian Madness enemies, except for the Martian Saucer, with a 10% chance and in stacks of 15-20
Stacks up to 999
95 throwing damage
14 use time
11 velocity
Affected by gravity after 61 blocks
Inflicts Electrified for 2-3 seconds

Bubble Bomb

Bought from Party Girl after Duke Fishron has been defeated for 5 silver each
Stacks up to 999
70 throwing damage
29 use time
8 velocity
Affected by gravity after 17 blocks
Explodes into 4-6 damaging, non-piercing bubbles
Not retrievable

Bauble Bomb

Dropped by Present Mimics with a 100% chance, in stacks of 20-40
Stacks up to 99
250 throwing damage
40 use time
6 velocity
Affected by gravity after 6 blocks
Explodes after 3 seconds or upon hitting an enemy
Not retrievable

Galactic Power Cell

Crafted with 1 Galaxy Fragment (makes 111 Galactic Power Cells)
Stacks up to 999
Serves as ammunition for endgame thrown weapons
Not retrievable
"Enough to power a galaxy!"

Galactic Arm

Crafted with 18 Galaxy Fragments
150 throwing damage
12 use time
10.5 velocity
Not affected by gravity
Consumes Galactic Power Cell
Throws a galaxy that homes in on enemies
"My arm is the arm... that creates the heavens!"

Big Banger

Crafted with 18 Galaxy Fragments
250 throwing damage
21 use time
8 velocity
Affected by gravity after 12 blocks
Throws a singularity that explodes into piercing galaxies

Death Moon

Dropped by Moon Lord
320 throwing damage
18 use time
8.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 9 blocks
Tosses a miniature, spheroid space station that explodes on impact into a horizontal, 30-block-wide shockwave
"Great shot kid! That was one in a million!"

Monster Containment Capsule

Dropped by Moon Lord
80 throwing damage
12 use time
11.5 velocity
Affected by gravity after 55 blocks
Throws a small red-and-white capsule that explodes into a random Terraria boss, which will attack enemies for about 1 second before despawning
"Gotta encapsulate 'em all!"

Each boss summoned by the Monster Containment Capsule has a different chance of occurring and its own base damage. The bosses it can summon are as follows:
King Slime: 12% chance, 80 damage
Eye of Cthulhu: 12% chance, 90 damage
Eater of Worlds: 10% chance, 90 damage
Brain of Cthulhu: 10% chance, 95 damage
Queen Bee: 9% chance, 95 damage
Skeletron: 9% chance, 100 damage
The Destroyer: 7% chance, 110 damage
The Twins: 7% chance, 110 damage
Skeletron Prime: 7% chance, 110 damage
Plantera: 5% chance, 120 damage
Golem: 5% chance, 120 damage
Duke Fishron: 3% chance, 150 damage
Lunatic Cultist: 3% chance, 150 damage
Moon Lord: 1% chance, 200 damage

Last edited:
couple words: can you please bold some of the stuff like this to make it interesting:

Galactic Power Cell

Crafted with 1 Galaxy Fragment (makes 111 Galactic Power Cells)
Stacks up to 999
Serves as ammunition for endgame thrown weapons
Not retrievable
"Enough to power a galaxy!"

You mean it's not already interesting the way it is? How do you read books?

I kid, I've changed the formatting to make it better-looking (if anyone knows how to do horizontal breaks, let me know), and I have also added a few new things and rebalanced some existing things. I'll still be adding more stuff here and there as I think of it, so watch for that and feel free to make suggestions of your own.

Added velocities to all the weapons. Also changed Bubble Cluster to Bubble Bomb and added Clockwork Knife and Present Bomb, along with a few balance changes.

This looks really cool!

How about a melee weapon called Baseball Bat that is a combination of a shortsword and a spear, quicly swinging(or actually, stabbing with a swing animation) at the direction of the mouse. It has great knockback, making it a useful weapon for throwing class players and it could be used to deflect projectiles, even the ones thrown by the player himself, multiplying it's speed and power.

Really useful when used to deflect baseballs as the baseballs bounce around and can be thrown in the air and swung towards enemies

The projectile deflecting power is determited by throwing power because logic

Maybe a baseball glove, used to catch and store one enemy projectile and to throw it back

When held empty and used, it points at the direction of the mouse, "catching" the first projectile it touches. It can be then thrown back anywhere, making the glove empty again.

Also, having an accessory that shows the route of the thrown weapon would be cool.

Baseball armor?
-increases throwing power and distance, walking speed and makes baseballs go faster than usual
-early game armor
-low defence
-incrases mobility

Support. The only problem is that with a 5th emblem, getting the emblem you want will be much harder, so a new way of getting a specific emblem would be needed. But that doesn't really matter that much in this suggestion

How about the baseball works kind of like a small Beach Ball, bouncing around. The damage is determited by the ball's speed.

The Baseball Bat could be used to unlock it's true potential as a deadly pre-hardmode weapon

Then there could be different kinds of balls like boulder-like Bowling Balls and super bouncy Super Balls(crafted from Pink Gel)

Marbles that can be thrown but they are at their true potential when left at the ground, dealing... A little damage when stepped on but with high critical change and a change of tripping the enemy.
Yeah, not so potential weapon...

How about having slingshots as a weapon that shoots bullets and other round ammunition?
It could deal Throwing damage because hey, unlike with guns, you use your own strength to shoot the ammunition.

Just like with bows. Well great.

How about if bait could be thrown?
It summons fish from nearby liquids to attack your enemies and increases your fishing power for a few minutes.

A perfect fisherman's(or woman's) weapon!

Also, a throwable skull would be great.

I think the thrown melee weapons should be thrown weapons.

Even if they don't use ammunition.

There are some ranged weapons that cost no ammo either.

But the Magic Dagger..?
Could it possibly be both thrown and magic weapon?

Oh, it would be cool if there was an accessory that made explosives bigger and deadlier and a blast resistant armor or accessory.

Thanks for reading
[DOUBLEPOST=1443358004,1443357450][/DOUBLEPOST]Paper planes?
They can be crafted by hand from paper, probably sold by the Merchant and behave differently when a different model is crafted.

They might drop themselves when hitting something.

When using a table and a bench as a crafting station more advanced paper planes could be made, dealing more damage, piercing or having different flight patterns.

Floating paper lanters would also be made using a Shiny Red Balloon, a torch and paper, creating multiple lanters(later, a Crystal Ball could be used as a crafting station instead of using balloons) they float slowly, following the wing and setting on fire when anything touches them, dealing damage.

Using Souls or other materials could be used to enchant the planes and lanterns

This looks really cool!

How about a melee weapon called Baseball Bat that is a combination of a shortsword and a spear, quicly swinging(or actually, stabbing with a swing animation) at the direction of the mouse. It has great knockback, making it a useful weapon for throwing class players and it could be used to deflect projectiles, even the ones thrown by the player himself, multiplying it's speed and power.

Really useful when used to deflect baseballs as the baseballs bounce around and can be thrown in the air and swung towards enemies

The projectile deflecting power is determited by throwing power because logic

Thanks!

I had considered a bat weapon, but decided it would be better just to let any melee weapon deflect the baseballs. The whole point of the baseballs is that they're a co-op weapon, you're meant to throw them at a friend who hits them back at enemies. Making them bouncy would defeat the purpose of this and also not make a whole lot of sense since real baseballs aren't bouncy.

In retrospect though maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to have all melee weapons deflect baseballs after all, since it could mess some people up in co-op if someone's trying to throw baseballs and someone else keeps accidentally hitting them away. I guess I'll make a bat weapon that deflects only baseballs. I don't want to make it deflect other projectiles since that'd be a little OP for PvP, and not very many enemies in the game use projectiles that aren't lasers or something.

Maybe a baseball glove, used to catch and store one enemy projectile and to throw it back

When held empty and used, it points at the direction of the mouse, "catching" the first projectile it touches. It can be then thrown back anywhere, making the glove empty again.

Besides the fact that I already have a baseball glove accessory that does something else, I'm not sure how useful that would be for ingame since very few enemies shoot actual solid projectiles, and the ones that do usually shoot bullets which aren't really catchable. Plus, it'd be a purely novelty weapon, since it'd be a lot more efficient just to use weapons of your own.

Also, having an accessory that shows the route of the thrown weapon would be cool.

I didn't think of that, that actually sounds like a cool idea. I'll add that to the Targeting Computer or maybe an accessory that tinkers with the Targeting Computer, not sure yet.

Baseball armor?
-increases throwing power and distance, walking speed and makes baseballs go faster than usual
-early game armor
-low defence
-incrases mobility

I had considered a Baseball armor, but I decided that there isn't really any good place to put it in the progression. Ninja armor already occupies the lowest tier of throwing armor, and if I add any more below that it's unfair to the other classes since they don't get any specialty armor that early.

Then there could be different kinds of balls like boulder-like Bowling Balls and super bouncy Super Balls(crafted from Pink Gel)

I actually like the idea of bouncy balls crafted with pink gel, I might add that in. Thanks.

How about having slingshots as a weapon that shoots bullets and other round ammunition?
It could deal Throwing damage because hey, unlike with guns, you use your own strength to shoot the ammunition.

Just like with bows. Well great.

I don't know, slingshots don't really "throw" things, they don't make use of the same muscles as when you toss something. But a regular sling could work I suppose, although it wouldn't throw bullets since they're classed as ranged damage. It could throw acorns maybe?

How about if bait could be thrown?
It summons fish from nearby liquids to attack your enemies and increases your fishing power for a few minutes.

A perfect fisherman's(or woman's) weapon!

That's, um... Not how bait is supposed to be used. Not to mention it'd require making entirely new AIs for the fish, and overall I don't think that's feasible in Terraria's engine. Let's let fishermen stick to fishing.

Although that has given me an idea for a bait that protects you while fishing, but this isn't the place for that.

Also, a throwable skull would be great.

I had considered some sort of skull weapon instead of Blessed Bones, but I couldn't think of a good name for it. I'll change it if I think of one, or if you have one then I'll consider it.

I think the thrown melee weapons should be thrown weapons.

Even if they don't use ammunition.

There are some ranged weapons that cost no ammo either.

But the Magic Dagger..?
Could it possibly be both thrown and magic weapon?

I think consumable weapons and non-consumables that use ammunition are the only types the throwing class really needs. I want to keep them distinct from the melee and ranged classes, and if they get boomerangs and other non-consumable weapons then they become basically the same as the melee class but just wearing different armor. Not only that but it'd be a huge blow to the melee class since many of its late-game weapons are thrown, and it'd also mean changing and replacing or even scrapping the Daybreak, since it would have to be changed to throwing but its design fits the Solar Pillar and it'd have to be replaced by another melee weapon. Overall, it's just not worth it to break open that can of worms, and I'd rather add content to the game than repurpose existing content.

Oh, it would be cool if there was an accessory that made explosives bigger and deadlier and a blast resistant armor or accessory.

I guess, but I'd rather just make bigger, deadlier explosives that don't deal damage to players. I already have some of those in my suggestions.

[DOUBLEPOST=1443358004,1443357450][/DOUBLEPOST]Paper planes?
They can be crafted by hand from paper, probably sold by the Merchant and behave differently when a different model is crafted.

They might drop themselves when hitting something.

When using a table and a bench as a crafting station more advanced paper planes could be made, dealing more damage, piercing or having different flight patterns.

Floating paper lanters would also be made using a Shiny Red Balloon, a torch and paper, creating multiple lanters(later, a Crystal Ball could be used as a crafting station instead of using balloons) they float slowly, following the wing and setting on fire when anything touches them, dealing damage.

Using Souls or other materials could be used to enchant the planes and lanterns

The paper planes are a cool idea, although I don't know about making it so in-depth, especially since they'd probably be mainly an early-game weapon. But I like the idea of having a paper plane weapon that you craft from paper. I'll add that.

Support. The only problem is that with a 5th emblem, getting the emblem you want will be much harder, so a new way of getting a specific emblem would be needed. But that doesn't really matter that much in this suggestion

Thanks! I know that in expert mode emblems already drop separately from the WoF's other drops, so I was thinking that that would just carry over to normal mode now, so that when WoF dies he drops both a weapon and an emblem. I just didn't know where I could mention it.

Added the Sling, Bouncy Ball, Baseball Bat, and a few paper planes. Also changed the baseball stuff to be sold by the Skeleton Merchant instead of the Party Girl.

Great ideas, but a couple things.
First off, the Clockwork Knife being dropped by the WoF would be a problem because it would force you to farm the WoF a lot for weapons. Maybe just make it drop a weapon that uses throwing weapons as ammo, like the Bone Glove.
Second, the Big Banger? Might want to change the name to something else ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Great ideas, but a couple things.
First off, the Clockwork Knife being dropped by the WoF would be a problem because it would force you to farm the WoF a lot for weapons. Maybe just make it drop a weapon that uses throwing weapons as ammo, like the Bone Glove.

Hm, maybe. Clockwork Knives are meant to be quickly replaced once you get the Mirror Discus and Greek Fireball/Ichor Bomb, though. But it would definitely be feasible to have him drop some sort of glove and have the ammo sold by an NPC, I just don't know what it would be exactly.

Second, the Big Banger? Might want to change the name to something else ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What are you talking about? I don't see anything wrong with that name. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Added the Steam-Powered Glove as a drop from Wall of Flesh instead of Clockwork Knives, and also did a bit of miscellaneous rebalancing. Clockwork Knives are now bought from the Merchant and the Steampunker during hardmode, and can still be used without the Steam-Powered Glove so unlucky throwers still get an early hardmode weapon. Also made the Lihzahrd Claw a drop from Lihzahrds instead of crafted, since it makes more sense.

This is a pretty cool suggestion.
One thing I noticed, though, was the Monster Containment Capsule. I'm... not quite sure about that one. It looks like it'd cause a heck of a lot of lag due to boss spam. If it works the way I think it does, it could end up being horribly overpowered. It sounds more like a summoning weapon, like a short-length sentry. I think you should completely rework this, personally. The Death Moon isn't so bad though.
Also, I feel like the damage on the pillar and Moon Lord drops is a bit too high. While the DPS isn't ridiculous, It's just... too much. But hey, they're opinions.
But otherwise, I didn't notice anything too ridiculous. So good job!

This is a pretty cool suggestion.
One thing I noticed, though, was the Monster Containment Capsule. I'm... not quite sure about that one. It looks like it'd cause a heck of a lot of lag due to boss spam. If it works the way I think it does, it could end up being horribly overpowered. It sounds more like a summoning weapon, like a short-length sentry. I think you should completely rework this, personally. The Death Moon isn't so bad though.
Also, I feel like the damage on the pillar and Moon Lord drops is a bit too high. While the DPS isn't ridiculous, It's just... too much. But hey, they're opinions.
But otherwise, I didn't notice anything too ridiculous. So good job!

The bosses summoned by the Monster Containment Capsule only last for 1 second, so at most you'd have around 8 bosses on-screen at once, and that's if you stack lots of speed bonuses. The game is perfectly capable of handling that much. It might cause a tiny bit of slowdown for people with older computers, but then things like the North Pole and Meowmere do that anyway. And since they only last for 1 second, most will only get a chance to get one or two attacks in.

I don't think they're too powerful at all - in fact, if anything, they might need a bit of a buff, since neither the Death Moon nor the MCC are as good as the Last Prism and this thrower class is supposed to have high DPS in exchange for lower defense than even summoner. I did the math and MCC averages around 963 DPS assuming each summoned boss gets one hit in before despawning (the average power for the summoned bosses is 102.55), whereas Last Prism does 4,000 at full blast (when both are in their natural state without any bonuses). Meanwhile the Death Moon does 1167, which beats SDMG's 1008 with regular Musket Balls - as it should, considering Galactic armor has 26 less defense than Vortex. The thrower class that I'm proposing here is supposed to a high-risk, high-reward playstyle, and it's not worth the risk if there isn't any reward.

And the MCC is my favorite weapon out of all of them and the idea that originally inspired this suggestion, so it's absolutely non-negotiable. We need more weapons that aren't just "sword with more beams" and "gun with more pew pew". I might tweak the values or mechanics on it, but it's not going anywhere.

Thanks for your feedback, though, I'm glad you liked it enough to comment. Hopefully the numbers above can ease your fears a bit. Trust me, I've thought about all of the points you've raised already, and I think I've got it about as balanced as it can get without actual ingame testing.

The bosses summoned by the Monster Containment Capsule only last for 1 second, so at most you'd have around 8 bosses on-screen at once, and that's if you stack lots of speed bonuses. The game is perfectly capable of handling that much. It might cause a tiny bit of slowdown for people with older computers, but then things like the North Pole and Meowmere do that anyway. And since they only last for 1 second, most will only get a chance to get one or two attacks in.

Alright, good point. But a different concern is that it may not be... erm... "desirable" to have your screen constantly filled with multiple giant bosses. Maybe smaller versions to counter this?
Also, my concern was that when damaging entities 'sit' on top of an target, damage is dealt very rapidly. And this is dealing up to 290 damage per hit., before consideration of buffs, armour, accessories, and modifiers. Take the Stardust Dragon, for example; it deals very high DPS by sitting on top of the enemy, if given the opportunity. I know it doesn't last long, but multiple are constantly standing on top of the target, so the DPS would be multiplied.

I don't think they're too powerful at all - in fact, if anything, they might need a bit of a buff, since neither the Death Moon nor the MCC are as good as the Last Prism and this thrower class is supposed to have high DPS in exchange for lower defense than even summoner. I did the math and MCC averages around 963 DPS assuming each summoned boss gets one hit in before despawning (the average power for the summoned bosses is 102.55), whereas Last Prism does 4,000 at full blast (when both are in their natural state without any bonuses). Meanwhile the Death Moon does 1167, which beats SDMG's 1008 with regular Musket Balls - as it should

I do think the MCC would be fai bit more powerful, from what I said before. As for the Death Moon, I meant that the base damage looked a bit high. The DPS isn't too insane for the point it's at, but exceeding 300 damage just seems like too much, to me. I'd already checked the DPS's (with the MCC too, though only with the base max of 290, also assuming that each boss gets a single hit in), and, as I said, they don't look too bad. But my point with the MCC still stands ;)

considering Galactic armor has 26 less defense than Vortex. The thrower class that I'm proposing here is supposed to a high-risk, high-reward playstyle, and it's not worth the risk if there isn't any reward.

Alright, this is a good point. I can't help but agree with this. Yet still, you don't need throwing armour to use throwing weapons.

I might tweak the values or mechanics on it, but it's not going anywhere.

That's fine. I didn't mean get rid of it; just rework it. ;)

Thanks for your feedback, though, I'm glad you liked it enough to comment. Hopefully the numbers above can ease your fears a bit. Trust me, I've thought about all of the points you've raised already, and I think I've got it about as balanced as it can get without actual ingame testing.

No problem. Also, a question about the Big Banger (which might need a bit of a rename...): Assuming the 270 damage is applied to the singularity, do the mini-galaxies that come out cause damage? If so, what percentage of the original 270 is dealt by them?

Alright, good point. But a different concern is that it may not be... erm... "desirable" to have your screen constantly filled with multiple giant bosses. Maybe smaller versions to counter this?
Also, my concern was that when damaging entities 'sit' on top of an target, damage is dealt very rapidly. And this is dealing up to 290 damage per hit., before consideration of buffs, armour, accessories, and modifiers. Take the Stardust Dragon, for example; it deals very high DPS by sitting on top of the enemy, if given the opportunity. I know it doesn't last long, but multiple are constantly standing on top of the target, so the DPS would be multiplied.

Remember that piercing damage in this game gives enemies invulnerability to other simultaneous sources of piercing damage, so only one boss could damage an enemy at a time. This means that one boss would damage the enemy six times a second, which along with the MCCs themselves (which do not deal piercing damage) would give an overall average DPS of 1065 if at least one boss was on top of the enemy at all times. That's a little bit higher than the simplified "one-hit one-attack" estimate I gave above, but not by much.

As for the size of the bosses, I actually haven't decided on that myself. On the one hand having all of them at full size would probably make the screen too busy, but on the other hand the idea is to give the player the feeling that they have "tamed" the bosses themselves, not miniature versions of them. I guess a good compromise would be to let the ones that are already pretty small (King Slime, Skeletron, Lunatic Cultist, etc.) stay as they are but scale down the bigger ones (Moon Lord, Golem, Duke Fishron, etc.).

As for the Death Moon, I meant that the base damage looked a bit high. The DPS isn't too insane for the point it's at, but exceeding 300 damage just seems like too much, to me.

Well, it's an exploding space station. And it's meant to be the logical conclusion of explosive-type weapons like grenades, so the high damage is more or less the idea.

I might nerf the range on that one though, a shockwave that covers a whole screen length would look cool at first but get kind of distracting when spammed. I probably should find a better way to describe said range, too, since different people have different resolutions, but w/e.

Alright, this is a good point. I can't help but agree with this. Yet still, you don't need throwing armour to use throwing weapons.

That's true. Maybe I'll nerf some of the weapons and buff the armor instead, so that they don't overshadow, say, melee weapons as options for Solar Flare armor users, especially if throwing and melee are going to share their speed stat.

Also, a question about the Big Banger (which might need a bit of a rename...): Assuming the 270 damage is applied to the singularity, do the mini-galaxies that come out cause damage? If so, what percentage of the original 270 is dealt by them?

The galaxies cause full damage, but like with the MCC above it's piercing/AoE damage, so a single enemy will usually only get hit once by the explosion. The Big Banger, like the Death Moon, is mainly meant to be a bomb-like, area control type weapon.

And what's wrong with the name? I think it's perfect the way it is. :D

It would be kind of cool if there was an atomic bomb that destroys everything on screen, it could beused to create large underground areas.

Oh, and it wouldn't be so effective in fighting since it kills the player aswell.

Maybe as a last shot

Back
Top Bottom