Weapons & Equip Throwing Expansion - Desert Biome Key, Armor, Weapons, Lunar Content, and more

Yreorel

Terrarian
Introduction

Throwing is underpowered and unfinished right now. I hope Redigit buffs it to some degree, perhaps incorporating some of the suggestions in this thread.

Sprites are missing for now.

-----

Making Throwing different from Ranged

Throwing, despite having a different damage type than Ranged, is functionally identical. They consume purchased or crafted ammunition and fire projectiles.

How do I intend to spice Throwing up?

Ranged projectiles have always been able to disappear from the map entirely. You unload your whole bag of ammo? Boom. It's gone forever.

I think Throwing should be different, in some respect.

Most Throwing weapons will now be able to dig into the enemy's flesh, increasing the damage they receive. You can check how much damage each consecutive hit can stack by looking at their Max Damage Stacks.

Note that retrieving Throwing projectiles will remove stacks on whatever they are stuck on.

In addition to that, Throwing weapons can never be destroyed. They will always be recoverable, whether they stick in the enemy or not.

These changes will allow a skilled player to play an entire section with the same 10 Shurikens, simply by recovering them over and over again.

Throwing, at least in this thread, will have a general theme of ammunition recovery.

-----

Lunar Presence - A hovering entity that stalks the player in their quest to destroy the pillars
The Lunar Presence is a precursor to the Moon Lord. In the area of effect of the Pillars, the Lunar Presence made itself known, doing everything it can to thwart the player.

You can think of it as a boss, in the way that it directly attacks you, as well as a pillar, in the way that it summons monsters.

Due to the Lunar Presence making things harder for the player, unskilled players have the option to fight the Lunar Presence without the pillars interfering by flying to Sky elevation, which will now cause Pillar mobs to not spawn as long as the Lunar Presence is still alive.

The Lunar Presence, like the Pillars, has a shield, do not reset their hit points upon player death, and drop Lunar Fragments.

The Lunar Presence has the same HP/shield as the Celestial Pillars.

-----

While invulnerable, the Lunar Presence can use three attacks:

1. Phantasmal Deathray - The Lunar Presence charges up its death ray for 1 second. After which, it will fire its death ray for 3 seconds, moving up to 45 degrees towards the player.

2. Phantasmal Spheres - The Lunar Presence summons a line of spheres, before firing them at the player. Works exactly like that of the Moon Lord.

3. Phantasmal Transformation - The Lunar Presence instantly reinvigorate all his cultists, and randomly replaces them with another type of cultist.

The Lunar Presence also spawns the following mobs:

1. Ascended Cultist - A cultist that fires bolts of lightning at you. 2600 life. Each hit deals 200 damage.

2. Deranged Cultist - A cultist that fires fireballs at you. 2600 life. Each hit deals 200 damage.

3. Gibbering Cultist - A cultist that fires a storm of hail at you. 2600 life. Each hit deals 150 damage.

-----​

After defeating the Lunar Presence, it will drop Lunar Fragments, which could be used to craft two weapons:

Lunar Storm

20 Throwing Damage

60 Use Speed

14 Max Damage Stacks (+5 per stack)

Uses Throwing Knives as ammo

Shoots a spread of 4 Lunar Knives at the target. Consumes 4 Knives per use

Lunar Tornado

30 Throwing Damage

20 Use Speed

0 Max Damage Stacks

No Ammo Required

Launches a tornado at the target location, sucking all the dropped/stuck projectiles within. After 2 seconds, launches a barrage of all collected projectiles at the player, placing them in the inventory.

Will not trigger invulnerability, as projectiles cannot hit more than once (they will ghost once they hit a single target).

Lunar Fragments could also be used to create the Lunar Set

Lunar Hat

14 Defense

14% Increased Throwing damage

+2 Max Damage Stacks

Lunar Gi

30 Defense

10% Increased Throwing Damage

+3 Max Damage Stacks

Lunar Boots

22 Armor

+10% increased Throwing Damage

+2 Max Damage Stacks

Set Bonus: Trying to use an empty slot will now teleport the player to that location, and dash back to their original position. The dash causes the player to retrieve all stuck projectiles.

-----

The Moon Lord will also drop additional throwing weapons:

Void Chain

50 Damage

10 Max Damage Stacks (+5 per Stack)

Launches all nearby Throwing projectiles towards the cursor location.

Tri-Star

50 Damage

3 Max Damage Stacks (+10 per Stack)

Summons a spinning wheel of three Shurikens that spins towards the target location. Consumes 3 Shurikens.

-----

Now that Lunar is done, below is outlined the Hardmode Throwing Weapons.

Sandstorm

10 Throwing Damage

30 Max Damage Stacks (+1 per Stack)

Throws a rope out that seeks the cursor. Every projectile the rope touches gets attached to the rope. Throwing the rope flings the projectiles.

Found in the Desert Biome Chest.

Flying Souls

10 Throwing Damage

10 Max Damage Stacks (+5 per stack)

Crafted with 1 Soul of Flight, 1 Soul of Light and 1 Feather

Wyvern Head

5 Armor

+1 Max Damage Stacks

Crafted with 5 Souls of Flight and 20 Feathers.

Wyvern Chest

12 Armor

+1 Max Damage Stacks

Crafted with 10 Souls of Flight and 30 Feathers

Wyvern Tail

8 Armor

+1 Max Damage Stacks

Crafted with 5 Souls of Flight and 20 Feathers

The Thrower isnt its own class, if you pay attention to where the summoner and thrower class start and stop, you will see that they are actually one big class, where summoner weapons start, throwing weapons and armor end.

The Thrower isnt its own class, if you pay attention to where the summoner and thrower class start and stop, you will see that they are actually one big class, where summoner weapons start, throwing weapons and armor end.
Eh... I don't know about that... They're pretty different.

I'd say Throwing class is just an early game alternative to Ranged.

I still like to be a thrower and then move to summoner though, it does provide advantages as throwing is an easy class to end making it easier to start summon class

I still like to be a thrower and then move to summoner though, it does provide advantages as throwing is an easy class to end making it easier to start summon class
No, Ranged weapons are still there in the beginning of the game(Bows and First guns), thrower does not translate over to Ranged like it does with summoner, but turning over to ranger after you get to the dungeon with the bone glove does seem like a good idea.

No, Ranged weapons are still there in the beginning of the game(Bows and First guns), thrower does not translate over to Ranged like it does with summoner, but turning over to ranger after you get to the dungeon with the bone glove does seem like a good idea.
Yep, that's why I said alternative. The parallels are there, it's a ranged combat class that balances safer combat with expendable ammo.

Back
Top Bottom