Game Mechanics Throwing to Melee

Throwing to Melee?

• Yes!

• No!

• Not in Vanilla.. maybe a Mod.

Results are only viewable after voting.

hellwisp

Official Terrarian
I think that separating Melee and Throwing damage was a bad decision.
Two reasons:
1: Playing purely as a "Throwing" character isn't very satisfying because there isn't enough gear for Throwers. (There is more as the game gets updated but still)
2: Fighting bosses is hard as a Melee character because all the bosses are fast and do contact damage which is near impossible to avoid with the short range of early Melee weapons. The weapons that do have range are too slow.. like boomerangs and flails. (Also contact damage is BS. They could implement attacks for enemies with animations and maybe some cues for deadly attacks.. sounds like fun to me!)

So what I really wish the devs would do is merge the two damage types to just melee.
That way players have more options when playing as a melee class. Use short range weapons for some enemies and thrown weapons for when you need to keep a distance.
It makes sense too in the way that melee weapons are dependent on strength... thrown weapons are the same except you let go of them... right?

Anyway.. I think this would make the game more fun.. without having to use mods that mostly aren't well balanced.

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense or is this something you would like to see in the game too?

This won't make much sense, Melee weapons never got seperated to throwing. It was the Ranged class who did.

You suggestion is basically giving a part of the formerly ranged weapons to melee, which doesn't make things more logical to me. As they're still consumables.

This won't make much sense, Melee weapons never got seperated to throwing. It was the Ranged class who did.

You suggestion is basically giving a part of the formerly ranged weapons to melee, which doesn't make things more logical to me. As they're still consumables.
Yeah I'm not saying that thrown damage was originally melee damage. But I think the game would be better if there was no thrown damage at all.. just melee.

Maybe it could. But I find melee fine as is, especially in pre-hardmode it has most true to it's name.
It's also quite quick and defensive, as swords can easily fight off bats and breakable projectiles while other melee weapons can fight off hordes of enemies well without consuming anything.

Therefore the only thing the classes can benefit are the armor benefits, which are rather little in pre-hardmode. There's nothing holding back why one wouldn't use throwing and melee weapons simultaniously if you want to.

I think that separating Melee and Throwing damage was a bad decision.
Two reasons:
1: Playing purely as a "Throwing" character isn't very satisfying because there isn't enough gear for Throwers. (There is more as the game gets updated but still)
2: Fighting bosses is hard as a Melee character because all the bosses are fast and do contact damage which is near impossible to avoid with the short range of early Melee weapons. The weapons that do have range are too slow.. like boomerangs and flails. (Also contact damage is BS. They could implement attacks for enemies with animations and maybe some cues for deadly attacks.. sounds like fun to me!)

So what I really wish the devs would do is merge the two damage types to just melee.
That way players have more options when playing as a melee class. Use short range weapons for some enemies and thrown weapons for when you need to keep a distance.
It makes sense too in the way that melee weapons are dependent on strength... thrown weapons are the same except you let go of them... right?

Anyway.. I think this would make the game more fun.. without having to use mods that mostly aren't well balanced.

What do you think? Am I talking nonsense or is this something you would like to see in the game too?
I don't support this.

If you are having trouble playing a Melee character against bosses... I hate to say it but "git gud" might be a better solution before changing damage mechanics. This all seems like an extreme suggestion/solution to what is potentially a very niche demand/"problem". Are you using arenas? Grappling hooks? Potions? Lava? Statues? Lanterns? Buff Stations? Is your armor and accessories adequate? Do you know the boss attack patterns? Do you simply need more practice? Just some of the things to be examined before "this". Melee has some of the most diverse ways to deal damage in the game, even early on; I'm not convinced it needs to be supplemented by the absorption of Throwing when you are not limited to Melee to begin with.

And on the Throwing side of things. I'd much rather see Throwing become it's own class before I'd see it become absorbed into another damage type and eliminated. That way Throwing gets more fleshed out, which by extension, deepens the game. *If* it did have to be absorbed though, I'd prefer it be to Ranged (because it's literally a Ranged attack) or Summon (doesn't make sense, but the Summoner class really needs more of everything). Cenx, however has stated that making Throwing it's own class won't be a thing because they'd have to touch on and rebalance weapons and damage types -- which she said is something they are unwilling to do. Which means even the absorption of Throwing into any other damage type would be unlikely to begin with.

The way I see it, Melee is always going to underperform against bosses compared to Ranged and Magic, and even Summoning.

Melee means you get up close and personal, while giving you a nice big dollop of defense. Essentially, you're a tank class (well, the tank class, at least). Bosses, on the other hand, aren't designed to be tanked (with the possible exception of the Eater of Worlds), they're designed to be outrun, evaded and dodged. So it makes sense that melee is not going to do as well against bosses as Ranged or Magic, classes that allow you to keep your distance while dealing damage, until you get those weapons that allow you to deal the brunt of your damage from a range as well (Solar Eruption, Daybreak, Terra Blade, Death Sickle, those kind of weapons). On the flip side, melee does tend to outperform Ranged and Magic in general exploration and projectile spam scenarios (such as invasions, although I'd argue Magic performs admirably there as well), so all in all, it's balanced.

The bottom line is that melee doesn't need to be buffed to be good against bosses, because melee isn't supposed to be good against bosses in the first place.

I had this idea not because playing melee was difficult (though it is in early game). The throwing class isn't good enough on it's own and melee would benefit from ranged attacks. So yeah I agree that a better solution would be fleshing out the trowing damage type, but I would also like to have more options when doing a melee playthrough.

I know I'm late, but Melee in my opinion is a pretty boring class. It relies on throwing-style and projectile weapons to make it useful.

Throwing is confirmed to be merging into ranged in the next update. The best solution is to use a mix of weapons pre-Hardmode because there aren't significant benefits to choosing one class or another. Doing a full classed playthrough in pre-Hardmode is going to be more challenging in one part or another regardless of your choices.

I don't play melee myself but I thought there were a good number of ranged weapons that do melee damage? The flails and a number of shooting swords? Though I can understand the OP's point that it's tough to play a strict throwing class.

While there are "ranged" melee weapons in the forms of Boomerangs, The North Pole, Death Sickle, Vampire Knives and many more, the current throwing "class" seems more fitted for a ranger, since the items are consumable too. It's difficult to say though, I know where you're coming from, something like the Throwing knives would make sense for melee, whereas the snowballs and shurikens are more suited for ranger. Though saying that, for consistency sake, I'm in favour of all throwing weapons just becoming ranged and have done with it. It's sad, the throwing class never got any love, it was never really a class in the first place, but as sad as it is to say, I'm glad it's going to be merged with ranger class.

Back
Top Bottom