NPCs & Enemies Thunderstorms- Transferred from TO

There should be a rare mob called Ball Lightning, same AI as demon eye except much faster and can go through blocks. !00 health, 12 defense. It does no damage. Instead, it shoots a beam that can confuse, light you on fire, and/or slow you.

I originally had this thread posted on TerrariaOnline, but decided to move it here for those of you who didnt see it.

The rain event needs a hardmode equivalent, so I've come up with an idea: thunderstorms.

Thunderstorms only happen in hardmode. Every time a rainstorm happens in hardmode there is a 1 in 5 chance it will be a thunderstorm. These storms are very similar to rain except for the following:
* Angry Nimbuses are much more common
* Lightning will strike occasionally, dealing damage to all players and most enemies nearby
* Mob spawn rates will increase significantly overall
* Angry Nimbuses can now drop electrified shards, even during a normal rain event.

There will also be a few new enemies:

Electrified Zombie: spawns when a zombie is hit by lightning, very fast movement speed, can inflict Electrified (that will be explained in a minute;) ), health/damage/defense is determined by type of zombie that was electrified. Same drops as a zombie. Fighter AI.

Storm Spirit: looks exactly like dungeon spirit, but navy blue. Slow speed, travels through blocks, immune to knockback and lightning damage. 100 HP, 50 melee damage, 0 defense. Can drop a Plasmic Ball (50% chance). May spawn naturally, or has 20% chance to spawn when a possesed cloud is killed. Same AI as Dungeon Spirit.

Posessed Cloud: about the size of Eye of Cthulhu, flies above the player and shoots mini lightning bolts. 55 lightning damage, very fast movement speed, no melee damage, 30 defense, 250 HP. Immune to lightning damage. Can drop an Electrified Shard (25% chance). Same AI as destroyer's probe.

Thunderslime: Most biomes have their own slime, so I think this is apropriate. Looks exactly like Dungeon Slime, but with a mini lightning bolt in it instead of a key. Same stats as Umbrella Slime, but may inflict Electrified, Slow, or Confused. Drops gels just like normal slimes. Immune to lightning damage. Slime AI.

Thunderbird: thanks to Zidane for the suggestion. 700 HP, 35 defense, 65 damage, very fast speed. Immune to lightning damage. Can sometimes drop feathers, electrified shards, or rarely souls of flight. Can inflict Electrified. Same AI as Demon Eye.

Sky Paladin: 2,500 HP, 50 defense, average speed. Throws hammers like Paladin to do 200 damage or melee attack for 50 damage. Immune to lightning damage. Very rare chance to drop Thor's Hammer (like 1 in 200). Post plantera only. Same AI as Paladin.

Miniboss- Tornado: 15,000 HP, 30 defense, extremely fast speed. Tries to ram you to do 50 damage, or can stay on you for 10 damage per game tick. Knockback is still inflicted even if you have a cobalt shield. Very rarely spawns post-golem. 5% chance to drop Tornado Staff.

New debuff: Electrified- constantly taking damage at same speed as Burned, increases movement speed greatly, melee attacks have 50% chance to inflict Electrified on target.

2 new items:

Electrified Shard: crafting material, dropped by possesed cloud/angry nimbus, uncommonly drops when lightning strikes naturally (not dropped when posessed cloud shoots lightning)

Plasmic Ball: crafting material, can be thrown like spikeballs to do 50 damage, dropped by storm spirit.

4 new weapons:

Thunderblade: 30 melee damage, 30% chance to inflict electrified, very fast speed, autoswing. Crafting: 25 electrified shards, 10 mythril/orichalcum bars, 15 plasmic balls.

Lightning Staff: 40 magic damage, uses 10 mana, summons lightning to zap several enemies, may inflict electrified. Crafting: 10 electrified shards, 30 plasmic balls, 15 cobalt/palladium bars.

Tornado Staff: 35 magic damage, dropped from Tornado. Throws a slow moving tornado that has unlimited pierce and travels through blocks, despawns after going a certain distance. Uses 30 mana.

Thor's Hammer: like Paladins Hammer, but does 100 damage and has 2x the range. Max piercing is 3.

What do you think???
I like this a lot, and I'm making my own little biome revamp post! I was wondering if I could use some of this? (With a thanks and reference to you of course!)

I like this a lot, and I'm making my own little biome revamp post! I was wondering if I could use some of this? (With a thanks and reference to you of course!)
Uh, sure! Why a revamp? I guess it doesnt matter... But still, what are you doing with it?

Uh, sure! Why a revamp? I guess it doesnt matter... But still, what are you doing with it?
Yeah, sorry about that! (It was a little vague) I'm making a post about spicing up some of the biomes, adding more natural events, (rain, thunderstorms, etc) and when I read this I wanted to use it as an example of how it could work. Just, for the most part I would write how I thought the thunderstorm could work, and give a link and recognition to you as an example and a major contributor to my inspiration for that section. That okay?

Possessed Cloud really should be smaller. I mean, in Terraria, being bigger isn't actually an advantage...

Sky Paladin needs to be changed IMO, I feel like it shouldn't be as tough/strong as the paladin but should be faster. Maybe flying.

And ThunderSlime shouldn't be holding a lightning bolt, I think would look better as a bright (glowing?) blue slime.

Otherwise good suggestion :)

[QUOTE="stormconure, post: 126811, member: 6121]I guess lightning could completely ignore all blocks until stopping at 0 depth. [/QUOTE]

Now I remember why I build my castle deeper than usual ;)

[QUOTE="stormconure, post: 126811, member: 6121]I guess lightning could completely ignore all blocks until stopping at 0 depth.

Now I remember why I build my castle deeper than usual ;)
Ok, for the quote thing, just add a quotation mark after member:6121 ;)

As for the castle thing, that would help. Though if you wanted to collect the shards from the lightning, you would have to go up to the surface...

Much better, would like a few new enemies
  • Thunderbird
  • Piasa
  • These two would always spawn together, and lightning and whirlwinds would spawn 50% more. In mythology Piasa and Thunderbird were main enemies. If @zimberzimber had his mobs attacking each other suggestion put in, they would always fight each other.

I agree, rain is kinda boring.

Also, when in Post-Plantera mode, there will be a 40% chance of Thunderstorms to occur.

Feel free to take a sip and grab a biscuit!

(insert gentleman badge of approval here)

• Thunderbird
  • Piasa
  • These two would always spawn together, and lightning and whirlwinds would spawn 50% more. In mythology Piasa and Thunderbird were main enemies. If @zimberzimber had his mobs attacking each other suggestion put in, they would always fight each other.

Thunderbird is in a mod so that may cause priblems

• Thunderbird
  • Piasa
Had those before, but decided to cut back on enemies. Remember this is a weather event, not a moon event :p
I agree, rain is kinda boring.

Also, when in Post-Plantera mode, there will be a 40% chance of Thunderstorms to occur
I already have 40% chance while in hardmode...

Thunderbird is in a mod so that may cause priblems
But aren't mods just a different Terraria? I mean, Terraria should be able to add what they want, without people trying to expand the game restrict it by saying they did it first.
EDIT: Sorry, maybe not even as mobs, just them fighting in the background
220px-Piasa-Bird-Alton-IL.jpg
220px-Thunderbird_on_Totem_Pole.jpg

Back
Top Bottom