PC Tier List: Late Hardmode Weapons

Finished testing the Butcher's Chainsaw. Definitely a D rank weapon. The test dummy setup made it slightly better, but I don't think weapons should need a specific setup to work.
Hey! It doesn't deserve to be in the same tier as the keybrand! C-.

It has high knockback (9) and can carve through groups of enemies like nothing else. My specific setup is basically just cross necklace, master ninja gear, and spectre armor. I don't drop below 400 health during solar eclipses.

I literally hold the chainsaw in front of me and wait for a post plantera skeleton to run into it. They get knocked back far enough that the sparks hit almost immediately after.

Quick question, for the test dummy thing did you use one dummy or two? Because the chainsaw is large enough to hit two and launch double the sparks. Actually I think I might be able to use 4 dummies at once. Might.

Nominating Toxic Flask and Nail Gun for B-. They both have pretty good damage, but Toxic Flask is only good at a very short range & against slower moving enemies, and Nail Gun is a bit too slow because of the delay on its nails exploding and is mostly outclassed by other ranged weapons on the same tier.

Also, what caused Psycho Knife to move up to C-? I know it's not quite as bad as Keybrand, but I can't really see it being as good as some of the other stuff in C.

By the way, what would you think about a thread like this but for accessories?

Nominating Toxic Flask and Nail Gun for B-. They both have pretty good damage, but Toxic Flask is only good at a very short range & against slower moving enemies, and Nail Gun is a bit too slow because of the delay on its nails exploding and is mostly outclassed by other ranged weapons on the same tier.
I'll second the Nail Gun if only because it's so rare - 0.4% from a rare enemy, and all. Toxic Flask is up for grabs, folks.

Okkusen Man said:
Also, what caused Psycho Knife to move up to C-? I know it's not quite as bad as Keybrand, but I can't really see it being as good as some of the other stuff in C.
Ridiculous DPH, mostly. I find it pretty useful for basic enemy fighting - Hardmode Dungeon is a good example. Of course it's godawful during more intense combat, but it has its moments just because of 400 damage a pop (once a second).

Okkusen Man said:
By the way, what would you think about a thread like this but for accessories?
I'll do you one better and add armors as well. Anyone else backing this idea? I'd be comfortable making it.

Other than that, I've decided to add an icon to the thread for "point of contention" that marks weapons that are up for change.
It looks like this.
Point_of_Contention.png
To get it applied to an item - well, that's easy. You just have to say "I think X should be in Y tier", and it'll get applied, simple as that. If more people (e.g. one other person or more) back you up - I count as "more people" as well - I'll move it over.
Hope this makes the thread easier to navigate.

Last edited:
So, new weapons.

Flying Dragon should probably go in A or A+. Pretty similar to Solar Eruption, but exchanges power and secondary effects for a bit more range, being slightly easier to aim, and slightly earlier availability.

Aerial Bane and Betsy's Wrath feel at home in A or A-. Not as much range as other post-Golem weapons of the same kind, but Aerial Bane is actually slightly more powerful than even Phantasm and can be decent against large groups due to its spread, and Betsy's Wrath reduces defense so its a good late-game alternative to Golden Shower. Since they have almost the same stats and effects they definitely should be ranked pretty closely to each other.

Sky Dragon's Fury... probably B-/C+. A bit too weak for post-Golem, and not being able to control where the projectiles land doesn't help. Okay at crowd control, but so is Flying Dragon. At least it looks cool.

Stardust cell staff should be at least an A- in my opinion - the cells are absolutely insane when you have a huge swarm of them.

I personally prefer the cells to the dragon too. The dragon has a habit of frequently attacking enemies off screen, often leaving you exposed to the enemies that are actually attacking you, although it may be worth checking if this can be corrected with the summon-commanding feature that was added in the last update. Also, enemies frequently avoid player-inflicted damage when being attacked by the dragon, due to its high attack speed causing brief invulnerability to enemies. It's powerful, but often it's more trouble than it's worth.

I think the Aerial Bane should be A+ if not S. The damage might be a little lower than endgame bows, but its effect that makes each arrow split into multiple arrows if you hit an aerial target is where you can hit more DPS than the Phantasm in some cases. Most bosses are air-born, and ones like Golem which are not, his parts count as being in the air and divide the arrows as well. This actually breaks the default TShock DPS limit even without Vortex armor, and the limit is 1120 DPS.

Also I think Rainbow Gun should be a little higher. It might fire slow projectiles, but it is great at crowd control; it's almost a perfect match for the Old One's Army event, as you can just fire it to one side, and pay more attention to the other as the rainbow projectile lasts ~15-20 seconds and does do some knockback, essentially stunlocking minor enemies.

I find the electrosphere lancer to be good for farmning golem and killing pillars. The charged blaster cannon should be B due to being amazing for early moon event waves killing all non final boss enemies with ezz

I think that Venus Magnum should be moved up to C because of auto clicker.

Just kidding, but seriously, move it to C. If you can click fast enough, you can dish out some nice damage. It's basically a Hardmode Pheonix Blaster.

I must say that the charged blaster cannon does insane dps pre moon lord and is good for frost/pumpkin moon for shredding groups of mini-bosses

Daybreak deserves to be in S, or at least A+. It inflicts a debuff that stacks damage, up to 200 damage every second. It has fast firing speed and high damage. Seems that you overlooked it.:rolleyes:

Haven't used Daybreak significantly myself... though maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.

While Betsy's Wrath isn't quite A tier material, I'd say it deserves a spot in B or B+. Slicing away 40 defense for an extra 20 damage on every attack adds up very quickly, but the numerous bosses and handful of enemies immune to all debuffs (I'm looking at you, Moon events) at this stage in the game hold that back. Thankfully, Duke Fishron and the Moon Lord's parts aren't immune - and if you're going to want -40 defense on anything, it's probably them. Even discounting the debuff, Betsy's Wrath on its own is a very solid weapon with a good mana cost, solid burst damage, and nice area of effect.

I also believe Stardust Cell Staff could stand to be bumped past B tier. While the damage on its own isn't quite overwhelmingly spectacular, it's a minion that uses non-piercing damage (meaning you and it won't interfere with each other's attacks), has a good enemy detection range, inflicts a DOT debuff that grows stronger every time it attacks, and it attacks autonomously as well as firing additional shots at anything you attack. Regardless of build, it's a great summon that literally every character has something to gain and nothing to lose from having around.

Also, my personal experience with Razorblade Typhoon puts it right at home in the S tier. Its numbers are hardly the most impressive (60 base damage? Very slow speed??), but its sheer utility is unmatched. High-speed homing, ricocheting off surfaces, unlimited piercing, solid duration, and firing two blades per cast come together and make it a strong weapon that chases down enemies slow and fast, whether you're in an arena or the Underground Jungle, and especially a phenomenal crowd control tool - all for a ridiculously low mana cost. The base damage is much less of an issue when your enemies - all of them, at once - are hitting the pierce rate cap. You can simply fly about, spamming typhoons every which way and letting them shred everything that approaches while you keep your focus almost entirely on movement and dodging. Whether you're spelunking, roaming the post-Plantera dungeon, tackling Old One's Army, trying Pumpkin or Frost Moon, or facing the Pillars, Razorblade Typhoon is the answer.

...And technically speaking, it's available as soon as you enter hardmode without breaking a single altar or fighting a single Mech boss.

IMNSHO, I think the Flairon isn't that much of use. I tried using Flairon against Duke Fishron, not really that ideal.
Instead, I used Solar Eruption, and it was a pew pew easy game.
(In My Not So Humble Opinion)
[doublepost=1496224228,1496224086][/doublepost]And, Daybreak is good to use at single-target boss with large hitbox. It can build up to 200 damage per tick, ignoring all defense. Pretty good for bosses, bad for crowd control.
I think it's around A-B+.
[doublepost=1496224683][/doublepost]And for Butcher's Chainsaw, try placing 10 training dummies in a line and attack the first dummy. High dps if not mistaken.
[doublepost=1496224928][/doublepost]
...And technically speaking, it's available as soon as you enter hardmode without breaking a single altar or fighting a single Mech boss.
And you at least need beetle armor to get it, unless you're so fast to avoid all his damage, because you mean the highest tier armor you can get JUST right after WoF is (idk am I right) Molten armor, and Duke Fishron has 50 defense, 50000 health points to chew over.

Solar Eruption is literally one of the final steps before Moon Lord and the end of the game's combat progression. It's hardly difficult to go out of your way to acquire it, but that's an extremely late stage; the Fishron drops are available at all points through hardmode. Specifically against Fishron, Flairon is actually a fantastic weapon because of its numerous homing projectiles that can be used similarly to the Bubble Gun against him: firing behind you as you dodge and letting him run into your bubbles on his own.

You absolutely don't need Beetle armour to kill Fishron unless you plan on tanking far too many hits for your own good. From personal experience, all it takes is a set of decent wings (Leaf/Frozen) and the likes of an Amarok or Onyx Blaster with Ichor plus previous accessories to begin farming him in Spider Armour. Aside from that, fishing and opening crates can provide hardmode ores and bars without the need to break altars.

:red: i've been gone for a while

Anyway, let's see what's going down here.

New weapons (1.3.4)
Initial recommendation from @Okkusen Man is as follows:
-Flying Dragon: A or A+
-Aerial Bane and Betsy's Wrath: A or A-
-Sky Dragon's Fury: B- or C+

@Zellogi suggests that the Aerial Bane hits A+ or S tier.
@Terry N. Muse suggests that Betsy's Wrath goes into B+ or B.
Based on these only, I'm probably going to shoot low and put the Flying Dragon and Aerial Bane in A, Betsy's Wrath in B+ and Sky Dragon's Fury in C+. They will all be marked for contention on the grounds that they're still new on this thread.

Existing weapons
@chapapote vouches for the Stardust Cell Staff. Terry N. Muse backs that up and gets it moved into A- tier, since I'll also back it.
Zellogi suggests an uptick for the Rainbow Gun.
@Uniquepotatoes suggests an uptick for the Electrosphere Launcher and Charged Blaster Cannon.
@Redstonetam15 suggests the Venus Magnum gets a boost up.
@BBGoo suggests that the Daybreak is moved up. @SlyMate (I think) backs that and gets it moved to A.
Terry N. Muse, who's really a good contributor on this thread, suggests that the Razorblade Typhoon is moved up.
SlyMate also vouches for the Butcher's Chainsaw and against the Flairon, I'm pretty sure. Seems to dispute the Razorblade Typhoon's uptick, but I'm not entirely certain. Flairon is moved down to A. Butcher's Chainsaw up to C.

Hope ya'll have had a good time in my absence! I'm sorry for neglecting this thread/project, and I'll hope to be more active from now on.

Why is the Terra Blade not on this list?
I believe it's currently sitting around in the "mid to late hardmode" thread, since it can be obtained before Plantera is killed. Of course, it might be prudent to put it (as well as some other weapons like the Venom Staff) on this thread as well, but I feel like that could cause some confusion. Opinions?

After closer observation, I realized Nettle Burst is in C-. It's not S-tier material by a long shot, but it doesn't belong below the likes of Shadowbeam Staff, Christmas Tree Sword, and Stardust Guardian either. Its damage is respectable for when you get it (especially with a magic build backing it up) and its hitboxes linger for a deceptively long amount of time. It grants the trademark wall-piercing ability of Vilethorn and Crystal Vile Shard, but also comes with decent damage for spelunking or farming from behind walls (block-piercing weapons tend to be a luxury). It saw regular use with me until I got Betsy's Wrath to fill the niche of block-piercing, and even then I sometimes found myself wishing I had the Nettle Burst's reach again. If nothing else, it should find a new home in C+ or B-.

Rainbow Crystal Staff has very good damage, but also very long delay between its attacks. Furthermore, there is an extremely long pause between when it targets an enemy and when the damaging part of the attack actually occurs; if that enemy so much as walks in a straight line, the sentry will miss entirely. Its main utility is for killing off mobs that spawn in air pockets underground or cleaning up enemies trapped under a natural overhang or other obstacle. Similarly, Lunar Portal Staff does less raw damage, but its sweeping laser and frequent fire mean that it is much more likely to find its target than its counterpart, giving it much more utility in open spaces. I believe both should be positioned in the mid B tier.

Possessed Hatchet's homing is quite convenient, but by nature of its design it's mainly a single-target weapon with limited use in crowd control that suffers from rather underwhelming damage. From personal experience, weapons like the Terra Blade, Influx Waver, and Eye of Cthulhu (especially the Eye of Cthulhu) did its job in every situation and then some. For a post-Golem weapon, it doesn't exactly carry its weight, so it would be more suited to a position in B or B+.

-quality content-
I'm looking back at the original post and I'd definitely back you up on the sentries and the Nettle Burst - that gets them a free ticket up. It also looks like, long ago, @Dragrath marked the Possessed Hatchet for contention, so I'll move it down now that it's finally got its second vote.

I personally think the Lunar Portal Staff deserves B+, but I'll leave that for another day.

On another note: it's been a long time, over half a year, since this thread was created, and I have a few nominations of my own to make. I won't mark anything for contention just yet, but I'll posit the following changes:
Downward movement
-Flying Dragon: Its single-target damage is lackluster, and it's rare that enemies will line up for you in Hardmode. Though it does have advantages when cheesing the martians, it just feels too weak on most foes.
-Candy Corn Rifle: The piercing ability just ruins it for solid damage on most enemies.

Upward movement
-Chain Gun: The damage output is so high that its accuracy is far less important, even if using non-Chlorophyte bullets.
-Xeno Staff: Despite the low damage, the minions are more powerful than they'd seem and can be a valuable asset at long range.
-Wasp Gun: It's got low damage, of course, but the rate of fire, homing ability and general harassment seem to do a very good job at keeping dangerous enemies in check.
-Rocket Launcher: The lack of another rocket weapon worth talking about (grenade launcher: not worth talking about) makes it quite useful, if only for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom