PC Tier List: Late Hardmode Weapons

I still don’t see what the Stinger is good for other than pumpkin/frost moon’s waves without killing minibosses and maybe solar pillar, where everything stays on the ground.
But there are better opinion, and you said something about A weapons being well-rounded, and a weapon is not well rounded if it can’t handle a single boss other than the destroyer or maybe golem, not even SK prime.
Valid point, it's often not the best against bosses. But for everything at its tier:
-Can fight Golem quite well
-Can fight Fishron moderately well, although there are better alternatives
-Can deal nicely with both moon events
-Not so great with Martians, but those are cheesy anyway
-Deals quite well with the pillars
-Does poorly against the Cultist
-Does okay in the Old One's Army, but not so well against Betsy

Those fragments that come off the bolts can hit flying enemies easily, so it keeps most of its DPS on bosses. I'unno, I've used it pretty extensively, but not religiously; can anyone else chime in with their experience?

Why is wasp gun so low? It does good damage against martians,
No really surround urself with blocks with some space, two block hole, fire out, wasps eat martians,
Research done on penguins survival world which is expert, with chrolo armor and no prefix.
Plus homing is lit literally everywhere

Why is wasp gun so low? It does good damage against martians,
No really surround urself with blocks with some space, two block hole, fire out, wasps eat martians,
Research done on penguins survival world which is expert, with chrolo armor and no prefix.
Plus homing is lit literally everywhere
You've got a solid point here, the Wasp Gun is my favorite vs. martians/golem too. But, however safe you are against enemies that can't reach you, most bosses can, and it takes a long time for the wasp gun to kill them. That low damage-per-hit really shows itself when every enemy has 50+ defense, especially in Expert.
That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to moving it up a little.

I did a little testing and concluded that against the Martians, the Wasp Gun is actually one of the best things you can use. It instantly shuts up and erodes the health of all the Tesla Turrets and Ray Gunners, allowing you to freely fly the friendly skies- at least until the Saucer shows up. I didn’t even have to barricade myself in or anything. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I say Possesed hatchet should be at least A- or A because an autoswinging multiple homing weapon is pretty good, though, you have to see the opponent to hit them, unlike ranged weapons with chloro bullets

I say Possesed hatchet should be at least A- or A because an autoswinging multiple homing weapon is pretty good, though, you have to see the opponent to hit them, unlike ranged weapons with chloro bullets
Agreed, for me it could be potentially be A+ since it handled all pillars except solar so well.

Gonna move the Wasp Gun up a little; same with the Hatchet, which seems to be going back and forth depending on who comments.

I think when adjusting the placement of weapons, you also have to consider the weapons in between their starting and final positions. Are there situations in which the Wasp Gun performs decently well? Sure there are. Does that mean it deserves to be held to the same esteem as the Seedler and Vampire Knives? I would argue no. It's okay against Martian Madness and some enemies in the Dungeon, but in the Solar Eclipse, it's good only against Dr. Man Flies, and in general it only works against a very specific type of enemy.

And yet it is ranked above a weapon that can do this.
JxznKx8.gif

Pretty fantastic list. Fun to read!

While I adore the Stardust Dragon Staff and do use it over the cell staff, a part of me wants to say the ratings these have (S and A-) could be evened out between them because of the way the dragon negates piercing weapons - a serious problem for some ranged and basically all endgame melee users, who'll find themselves unable to attack whatever their non-summoning-spec'd dragon is focusing on. This makes the dragon very messy to use during boss/miniboss fights, severely hurting DPS, and this isn't really a niche scenario.

If you're playing as a summoner, the dragon is pretty much always superior, but if you're not, the cell might be a better choice for your obligatory summon.

I also agree the Rainbow Gun deserves some upwards bumps for how good it is during invasions/Old One's Army. There isn't anything else that covers its functionality. Terrible as a main weapon, great for support.

I have no idea why Vampire Knives are so low on this list unless you're grading items' usage as a main weapon. Unless you're playing a build that has some other way to heal itself without inflicting potion sickness, these are a more than welcome addition to the hotbar. Certainly I couldn't imagine playing a melee character without having these - when you notice your HP's getting tenuous, you back off and kite with the knives until you're in better shape. Absolutely stellar for invasions, multi-part enemies, and bosses that summon minions.

Haha, Keybrand. Deserves its own F rank if you ask me.

I've been saying the Sniper Rifle is lacking, but it turns out it was buffed a lot since I made my judgements. It should have similar base DPS to the Tactical Shotgun, and has the benefit that it can be used with other ammo types instead of being reliant on Chlorphyte Bullets. The high base damage should make Crystal Bullets extra effective, because the shards do less damage but it will still be much higher than the enemy's defense. It can even be used with Meteor Shots because of its slow fire rate and lack of multishot. I haven't done much testing but it's at least going to be better than I said.

The nail gun deals unreasonable dps(1.4k-2k), it should be at least b+.
Sniper rifle, too, is very underrated as its dps Dis higher than mega shark’s when used with crystal bullets, against high-defense bosses like duke fishron.

With 1.4 having been out for almost a month now, I'm able to put the first weapons up here and start to re-rank the ones that have been changed. I do apologize for my long period of inactivity, but that's how life be sometimes.

Note that I haven't acquired all, or maybe even most, of the weapons included in the update, so I find myself unable to rank them properly. For those I have used, I'll do my best to place them, but I will include an asterisk (*) that they are new/heavily modified and as such bear reevaluation. For those I feel unable to rank, I will place them at the bottom of the post, effectively flagging them for review.

Community input is crucial to the success of this project, and I would very much appreciate your input.

Right now, for this thread in particular, the weapons that still need placing are:
Celebration_Mk2.png
Celebration Mk. II
Desert_Tiger_Staff.png
Desert Tiger Staff
Eventide.png
Eventide
Nightglow.png
Nightglow
Shadow_Jousting_Lance.png
Shadow Jousting Lance
Starlight.png
Starlight
Stellar_Tune.png
Stellar Tune
Terraprisma.png
Terraprisma
Zenith.png
Zenith

Well, Desert Tiger Staff is pretty much dog:red: thanks to its A.I., and Shadow Jousting Lance is a joke weapon. Starlight is Solar Eruption with half as much range; I haven't yet found a boss that it works well against, but I'll see how well it fares against the Lunar Events shortly. I've been liking Nightglow a lot so far. It's like Nebula Blaze with crowd control. Terraprisma is just as good as the Stardust Dragon Staff, if not better.

Just took the suggestions from @Acamaeda @The Steampunk @Godley @Laluzi and noted them (with the exception of the spectre staff because of its significant rework).

Thanks much for the input, guys. Even with only one data point, I'm starting to get a rough idea of where to put these weapons. In terms of the Terraprisma, I'd imagine it's not incredibly worth it to obtain, even though it's ridiculously good?

Hmmm. It depends on how talented the player is, but yeah I would say that if you are good enough to survive fighting her during the day, you likely don't NEED the weapon. Though some people might want to use, say, the Builder's Workshop to get it and might want to know where the weapon fits in on the list, so I'd still rank it highly, but just put a note about its sheer difficulty in obtaining.

Back
Top Bottom