PC Tier List: Pre-Hardmode Weapons

652Graystripe

Plantera
652Graystripe said:
Other than that, I've decided to add an icon to the thread for "point of contention" that marks weapons that are up for change.
It looks like this.
145801-15f9301340fe2b294fb7ef85c56f34e8.jpg

To get it applied to an item - well, that's easy. You just have to say "I think X should be in Y tier", and it'll get applied, simple as that. If more people (e.g. one other person or more) back you up - I count as "more people" as well - I'll move it over.
Hope this makes the thread easier to navigate.

From my last two threads on the topic, which you can view here.

Early to Mid-Hard Mode
Late Hard Mode

It's a fact: some weapons are better than others. This thread is intended as a community-input encyclopedia on what weapons are the best and worth getting, pretty decent and useful, or not so useful at all. This also includes the "piece of crap" category, also known as the Unholy Trident.

When commenting as to why you think a weapon should be moved up or down, be sure you formulate a logical argument. "I like this weapon" or "I did something cool with this weapon" doesn't count. What we like most here are factual, stat-backed-up responses that can be done by anyone - just play around with the weapon and you'll see.

The following variables are taken into consideration:

-How much damage does the weapon do?
-Is it a single- or multi-target weapon?
-How useful is it in a variety of scenarios?
-Is it extremely useful in a single scenario?
-Is it difficult to get ammo or mana to sustain it?
-How hard is it to obtain?
-Any other factors that determine its usefulness, such as accuracy?

The thread covers all weapons that are available between the start of the game and the Wall of Flesh's defeat. Keep in mind that all weapons are not tiered against each other; they are tired judging by the next credible threat. For example, the Wand of Sparking might be balanced against underground monsters, while the Diamond Staff would be balanced against the Goblin Invasion and Skeletron.

If you disagree with this thread, feel free to tell me. It's only starting with my opinions; it will be changed according to that of the community. I am only the poster for something that I hope will become much larger. Thanks.

Note that, with the 1.4 update, this list has been shaken up quite a bit! An asterisk (*) denotes weapons that are either new or significantly modified, and as such require reevaluation. I will also include a section for weapons that I don't feel able to rank, since I haven't played as much as I would like since the update.

S Rank

These weapons are the best of the best and are suitable in almost all situations, doing their job very well. They should almost invariably be acquired for their stage of the game.
Minishark.png
Minishark
Molten_Fury.png
Molten Fury (
)
Phoenix_Blaster.png
Phoenix Blaster
Space_Gun.png
Space Gun*
Vilethorn.png
Vilethorn

A Rank
These weapons are excellent and well-rounded, but lack a certain something that prevents them from reaching their highest potential.

A+
Beenade.png
Beenade
Grenade.png
Grenade
Musket.png
Musket
Muramasa.png
Muramasa*
Night%27s_Edge.png
Night's Edge
The_Rotted_Fork.png
The Rotted Fork
Trident.png
Trident
Water_Bolt.png
Water Bolt*

A
Amazon.png
Amazon
Amber_Staff.png
Amber Staff
The_Bee%27s_Knees.png
The Bee's Knees
Blade_of_Grass.png
Blade of Grass
Bone_Javelin.png
Bone Javelin*
Bone_Throwing_Knife.png
Bone Throwing Knife*
Cascade.png
Cascade
Diamond_Staff.png
Diamond Staff
Imp_Staff.png
Imp Staff*
Javelin.png
Javelin
Spiky_Ball.png
Shuriken
Snapthorn.png
Snapthorn*
Spear.png
Spear
Starfury.png
Starfury (
)
Sticky_Grenade.png
Sticky Grenade
Sunfury.png
Sunfury*
Revolver.png
Revolver
The_Undertaker.png
The Undertaker (
)

A-
Blowgun.png
Blowgun
Blue_Moon.png
Blue Moon*
Bone_Glove.png
Bone Glove* (
)
Bouncy_Grenade.png
Bouncy Grenade
Boomstick.png
Boomstick
Code_1.png
Code 1
Demon_Scythe.png
Demon Scythe
Emerald_Staff.png
Emerald Staff
Fiery_Greatsword.png
Fiery Greatsword
Flamelash.png
Flamelash*
Flaming_Mace.png
Flaming Mace*
Hellwing_Bow.png
Hellwing Bow
Magic_Missile.png
Magic Missile*
The_Meatball.png
The Meatball*
Poisoned_Knife.png
Poisoned Knife
Ruby_Staff.png
Ruby Staff
Sickle.png
Sickle
Star_Anise.png
Star Anise
Throwing_Knife.png
Throwing Knife
Swordfish.png
Swordfish

B Rank
Weapons in this category begin to become iffy - they lack attributes that would be greatly useful, or have some other quirk that prevents them from seeing widespread use. Although useful, they're less-than-ideal and often should not be farmed for.

B+
Bee_Gun.png
Bee Gun
Blood_Rain_Bow.png
Blood Rain Bow*
Bone_Sword.png
Bone Sword (
)
Cactus_Sword.png
Cactus Sword*
Candy_Cane_Sword.png
Candy Cane Sword
Dark_Lance.png
Dark Lance
Enchanted_Boomerang.png
Enchanted Boomerang
Falcon_Blade.png
Falcon Blade
Fruitcake_Chakram.png
Fruitcake Chakram
Gray_Zapinator.png
Gray Zapinator*
Handgun.png
Handgun
Harpoon.png
Harpoon
Hornet_Staff.png
Hornet Staff
Ice_Boomerang.png
Ice Boomerang (
)
Ice_Blade.png
Ice Blade
Mace.png
Mace*
Paintball_Gun.png
Paintball Gun
Quad-Barrel_Shotgun.png
Quad-Barrel Shotgun*
Red_Ryder.png
Red Ryder
Sapphire_Staff.png
Sapphire Staff
Spiky_Ball.png
Spiky Ball
Storm_Spear.png
Storm Spear*
Thorn_Chakram.png
Thorn Chakram
Valor.png
Valor (
)
Vampire_Frog_Staff.png
Vampire Frog Staff

B
Amethyst_Staff.png
Amethyst Staff
Ball_O%27_Hurt.png
Ball O'Hurt*
Bee_Keeper.png
Bee Keeper*
Blood_Butcherer.png
Blood Butcherer
Bone.png
Bone
Book_of_Skulls.png
Book of Skulls*
Chain_Knife.png
Chain Knife
Crimson_Rod.png
Crimson Rod (
)
Enchanted_Sword_%28item%29.png
Enchanted Sword
Finch_Staff.png
Finch Staff*
Flamarang.png
Flamarang (
)
Flower_of_Fire.png
Flower of Fire
Frost_Daggerfish.png
Frost Daggerfish
Katana.png
Katana
Mandible_Blade.png
Mandible Blade
Phaseblade.gif
Phaseblade
Shroomerang.png
Shroomerang*
Snowball_Cannon.png
Snowball Cannon
Star_Cannon.png
Star Cannon
Topaz_Staff.png
Topaz Staff
Wand_of_Sparking.png
Wand of Sparking* (
)
Wooden_Boomerang.png
Wooden Boomerang (
)
Wooden_Bow.png
Wooden bows

B-
Aqua_Scepter.png
Aqua Scepter
Bloody_Machete.png
Bladed Glove
Bladed_Glove.png
Bloody Machete
Demon_Bow.png
Demon Bow
Exotic_Scimitar.png
Exotic Scimitar
Flintlock_Pistol.png
Flintlock Pistol
Light%27s_Bane.png
Light's Bane
Iron_Bow.png
Metal bows
Molotov_Cocktail.png
Molotov Cocktail (
)
Purple_Clubberfish.png
Purple Clubberfish
Tendon_Bow.png
Tendon Bow
Zombie_Arm.png
Zombie Arm

C Rank
This is the lowest usable category - weapons here have some merit, somewhere, but in general are very poor choices and should only be used as a last resort.

C+
Ale_Tosser.png
Ale Tosser
Artery.png
Artery
Blowpipe.png
Blowpipe
Happy_Grenade.png
Happy Grenade
Malaise.png
Malaise
Snowball.png
Snowball
Ebonwood_Sword.png
Other wood swords

C
Iron_Broadsword.png
Metal swords
Rotten_Egg.png
Rotten Egg
Copper_Shortsword.png
Shortswords*
Stylish_Scissors.png
Stylish Scissors
Thunder_Zapper.png
Thunder Zapper*
Wooden_Sword.png
Wooden Sword
Wooden_Yoyo.png
Wooden Yoyo

C-
Flare_Gun.png
Flare Gun
Rally.png
Rally
Ruler.png
Ruler*
Sandgun.png
Sandgun (
)
Tragic_Umbrella.png
Tragic Umbrella*
Umbrella.png
Umbrella*

Need ranking
Due to my limited time playing the 1.4 update, I haven't been able to play with these new weapons, and so they need ranking. Suggest starting ranks!
Combat_Wrench.png
Combat Wrench
Gladius.png
Gladius
Leather_Whip.png
Leather Whip
Terragrim.png
Terragrim

Unranked
Arkhalis.png
Arkhalis* (
)
Slime_Staff.png
Slime Staff (
)
Though they're both extraordinarily good weapons, they're so rare they're not even worth categorizing.
With 1.4 the Arkhalis has a different method of obtaining - anyone care to comment on it?

30/9/16: Removed Gatligator. Harpoon down to B+.
6/10/16: Added Snowball Cannon (B), Rockfish (B+), Purple Clubberfish (B-), Swordfish (A-).
7/10/16: Added Beenade, Grenade (A+), Shuriken, Bone Throwing Knife, Javelin, Bone Javelin, Sticky Grenade (A), Throwing Knife, Poisoned Knife, Star Anise, Bone Glove, Molotov Cocktail (A-), Spiky Ball, Bouncy Grenade (B+), Frost Daggerfish (B), Snowball, Happy Grenade (C+), Rotten Egg (C).
19/10/16: Mandible Blade down to B, Ice Blade up to B+.
28/10/16: Added Point of Contention symbol and added it to Wand of Sparking, Molten Fury, Flamarang, Ice Boomerang, Wooden Boomerang, Hellwing Bow.
30/10/16: Added Paintball Gun (B+).
3/6/17: Musket to A+. Undertaker and Falcon Blade marked for contention. Thread revived.
4/6/17: Flower of Fire up to B, Cactus sword down to B. Arkhalis, Slime Staff and Star Cannon marked for contention.
12/6/17: Amazon up to B+, Bee Keeper up to B-, Water Bolt, Bouncy Grenade, Bone Sword and Valor marked for contention.
19/6/17: Blade of Grass up to A, Boomstick up to A-. Starfury and Crimson Rod marked for contention.
20/6/17: Water Bolt no longer marked for contention.
7/7/17: Bee Keeper marked for contention.
23/11/18: Thread refurbished. Amazon up to A, Hellwing Bow up to A-, Falcon Blade up to B+, Bladed Glove and Bee Keeper up to B. Bee's Knees and Bone Glove marked for contention.
30/11/18: Bouncy Grenade up to A-, Wooden Yoyo up to C.
1/12/18: Red Ryder down to B+.
6/13/20: Thread refurbishing for 1.4 begun. Several weapons moved around, asterisks added. Several new weapons added as well.
6/15/20: Gem staffs split up. Diamond to A; Ruby/Emerald to A-; Sapphire to B+; Topaz and Amethyst to B.
6/18/20: Added Vampire Frog Staff and Blood Rain Bow, both in B+. Thanks to @Mental Mouse for help ranking them!
7/9/20: Added Sickle at A-. Thanks to @Mental Mouse and @Thorfinn for bringing it to my attention!
7/18/20: Bee's Knees up to A.

Last edited:
The gatligator is hardmode only.

Also the wand of sparking is comparable to the shortswords, or as I call them, :red:swords.

The gatligator is hardmode only.

Also the wand of sparking is comparable to the shortswords, or as I call them, :red:swords.
Ah, my bad. I didn't realize it'd be restricted to HM. Damn shame, I love that thing.
Wand of Sparking, I didn't really feel comfortable putting in the "utter crap" category, given as it's the only magic weapon obtainable at its stage. The closest you come are the gem staves, which are a ways off, at least until you can get some gems and some metals.

Hmm, I'm missing fishing weapons here: The Purple Clubberfish, the Swordfish and the Rockfish.
All of them can be acquired relatively easily, especially the Swordfish, if you get youself an iron pole, some bait from smashing rocks and plants (especially in the surface jungle) and get yourself some corals and waterleaf on the way to craft yourself some sonar potions to not waste the bait.

Yes, the Rockfish is technically a hammer, but unlike other tools, it is actually very powerful as a weapon. 24 damage, 6 knockback and autoswing at 23 use time put this weapon on the level of the Muramasa, but all you need to do to get it is to fish underground. As a weapon, this could easily be in A-Rank.

The Purple Clubberfish is quite similar to the Rockfish, dealing the same damage and autoswinging, but has 7 knockback and a slow use time of 34. I'd still give it a B- or so. Caught in Corruption.

The Swordfish is a pretty powerful spear. Being caught in the ocean means you're already in the place to get every ingredient for Sonar Potions, and don't even need to prepare a fishing pond. Not quite as easy as the Trident, but not much harder, either. At 19 damage, it is a lot stronger than the Trident, though, which only deals 11 damage. This should quite easily be in A-Rank.

The other thing I'm missing are the throwing weapons: Shurikens, Throwing Knives, Grenades etc.
Since we have throwing armor sets, these are actually not all that insignificant.

I'm missing the Snowball Cannon. I lived on that thing for quite some time. Otherwise, this is a very well-done and helpful list.

Hmm, I'm missing fishing weapons here: The Purple Clubberfish, the Swordfish and the Rockfish.
The other thing I'm missing are the throwing weapons: Shurikens, Throwing Knives, Grenades etc.
Since we have throwing armor sets, these are actually not all that insignificant.

Yeah! Even without ninja or fossil armor, shurikens are extremely effective against the EoC. Spiky balls work against the EoW as well, since they stay on the ground and it hits them when it comes back.

Also, I suppose you ranked wooden bows higher than metal bows because they're easier to come by?

Last edited:
Yeah! Even without ninja or fossil armor, shurikens are extremely effective against the EoC. Spiky balls work against the EoW as well, since they stay on the ground and it hits them when it comes back.

Also, I suppose you ranked wooden bows higher than metal bows because they're easier to come by?
Done - added all the throwing weapons.

Also, yeah. Metal bows are rarely worth it, while wooden bows can be a useful weapon, especially in Expert against the armed zombies.

I'd move the Musket down to A+. Even though it has amazing damage, it has a terrible use time. If you can click pretty fast, you can do more DPS with the Pheonix Blaster.

I'd move the Musket down to A+. Even though it has amazing damage, it has a terrible use time. If you can click pretty fast, you can do more DPS with the Pheonix Blaster.
What puts the Musket there is how early it can be obtained - no bosses even need be defeated, and bombs are all that's strictly necessary. Amazing weapon for how early it's gotten.

This list seems a little odd... I think I would have broken it down by tiers (Pre-Boss, EoC+Evil Biome, Jungle/Dungeon, Pre-WoF) because otherwise this list looks all kinds of wonky.

Like... you say the Ice Boomerang is better than the Flamarang... despite the Flamarang being better in every way with ~9 more damage and the ability to set enemies on fire. And oddly enough, you put the Ice Boomerang as being better than the Ice Blade. What's weird, is that you say that the Mandible Blade is better than both, while the Ice Blade does everything the Mandible Blade does, and better, and is easier to get (opening a few chests in the Underground Ice vs killing 50-200 almost invincible Antlion Chargers to get the stupid Mandible Blade to actually drop).

Also, I found it rather strange that you put the Molten Fury in S rank but the Cascade in A rank. The Molten Fury is just too slow to get anything done with it. I used to use it, before yo-yos and the Hellwing Bow.

The only two things I would ever use the Molten Fury on, WoF and Skeletron, I've discovered there are far better weapons: The Flamarang will beat the Molten Fury every time on Skeletron and for WoF, the Hellwing Bow does better because of its much faster fire rate and how you can get two hits per arrow if you hit it right, and how the "arrows" pierce right through the hungries in front of it.

The only gripe I have about Flamarang is how you need an Enchanted Boomerang first, but meh. Those are usually common enough.

And..... Wooden Boomerang, as a B weapon? lul? That thing is useless even if you pick it up out of the first chest in the game because of how dirt poor the damage is. Yeah, it's a mildly ranged weapon, but uh what are you going to actually use it on, again? Maybe it might see a little use for killing demon eyes the first couple nights, but there are other weapons that do better (a bow...).

So ya, I think this woulda been better split into tiers.

Effectively, the way I organized it is in comparison with similarly-tiered weapons. Thus, the Ice Boomerang - fairly easy to obtain near the very beginning of the game - would be better than the Flamarang, which not only has other weapons vying for its spot (Sunfury, Thorn Chakram, Dark Lance, etc.) but is harder to obtain proportionally. The Wooden Boomerang is a similar case.

Mandible Blade, I'll move it down to put it on par with the Ice Blade if not below. I personally loved it because it was a bit faster, but you're right, it's not too much better.

In the case of the Hellwing Bow - I love the thing for the Wall of Flesh, but it's subpar otherwise, mostly because of accuracy. I had to keep in mind just general survival as well as the one boss fight.

Molten Fury and Flamarang, I may well revise should more people suggest it be done. This was just based off my own opinions, so I don't have a lot to go on.

Hey, folks. Added a little something to make the thread easier to navigate.

652Graystripe said:
Other than that, I've decided to add an icon to the thread for "point of contention" that marks weapons that are up for change.
It looks like this.

To get it applied to an item - well, that's easy. You just have to say "I think X should be in Y tier", and it'll get applied, simple as that. If more people (e.g. one other person or more) back you up - I count as "more people" as well - I'll move it over.
Hope this makes the thread easier to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom