PC Tier List: Pre-Hardmode Weapons

Just 2 items I think need major adjustment...
Musket - B
Reason: Fire rate is WAY, WAY, WAY too slow
The Undertaker - A+
Reason: Fire rate is great, damage is good

Just 2 items I think need major adjustment...
Musket - B
Reason: Fire rate is WAY, WAY, WAY too slow
The Undertaker - A+
Reason: Fire rate is great, damage is good

What puts the Musket there is how early it can be obtained - no bosses even need be defeated, and bombs are all that's strictly necessary. Amazing weapon for how early it's gotten.

Eh, I don't think the Undertaker is all that great.

It only does 15 damage, and by the time you can actually get into and survive inside the heart of the Crimson Biome, you likely already have a weapon that does about that kind of damage already. It'd be suicide not to, to be honest, as the crimson mobs tend to swarm you inside the big room, especially those spiders.

I will agree about the Musket being rated slightly too high. To actually GET a musket, sure you don't need to kill a boss, but you DO need to be able to successfully get down into the Corruption, somehow deal with all of the Eaters, and finally bomb a Shadow Orb.

Once you do all this, you get a weapon that does 35 damage.

You know what ELSE you could get that does that kind of damage, far easier? A Falcon Blade. 5 less damage, but far faster attack. The thing is simply overpowered in early-to-mid easymode (though I would rate the Night's Edge as being better simply because of better range).

Simply get some bait, go to any fishing hole, and open any Iron Crates that you come across. Iron Crates are not THAT rare and decently often they'll even give you more bait to keep fishing and you can do this Pre-EoC with a reinforced fishing rod. Fishing Power has no effect on what kind of crate you get when you get a crate, so the only downside to doing early fishing is the wait to pull something up.

Are we looking at notable gear/set bonuses for each weapon? How their best modifier affects them?
Generally the only set bonus I would take into account is the Meteor Armor (unless there are other bonuses that make a significant difference for a weapon).

Terrarian Legends said:
I personally disagree, but I'll happily mark the Undertaker for contention (Musket has been moved since @Xylia posted).

Xylia said:
Musket can be moved down, I've been convinced. Falcon Blade can be marked for contention if you so desire.

- The flower of fire is worse than... A wooden boomerang and bow ? This weapon can 2/3 shoot anything in the game before hardmode.
- The cactus sword has a rank which is much higher than expected.

- Also I would detail the gem staffs. Ametyst is very slow, auto-fire starts with emerald (which pierces 2 ennemies) and ruby & diamond do higher damage than amber staffs. They can also be acquired much earlier without taking a risky journey inside the underground desert to get an amber staff (which requires a reaver shark or to defeat a boss, both make access to better weapons).

- The flower of fire is worse than... A wooden boomerang and bow ? This weapon can 2/3 shoot anything in the game before hardmode.

- Also I would detail the gem staffs. Ametyst is very slow, auto-fire starts with emerald (which pierces 2 ennemies) and ruby & diamond do higher damage than amber staffs. They can also be acquired much earlier without taking a risky journey inside the underground desert to get an amber staff (which requires a reaver shark or to defeat a boss, both make access to better weapons).
I agree with the cactus sword. While it is good for keeping enemies at bay, its damage quickly becomes depressingly low.
About the fire flower, I believe that he put it there because it is outclassed by higher damage items and things that are easier to get like the Demon Scythe and Water Bolt. However, I still agree it should be moved up a bit.

Given that Redstonetam backed you up, I'm happy to move the Flower up and the Cactus Sword down. My logic was how absurdly easy the Cactus Sword is to get and how it eclipses other early-game swords, even the metal swords to some extent; with the Flower, it's difficult to aim, slow moving, high mana cost, etc. compared to the Demon Scythe, Flamelash or whatever else. Though I agree, I was a bit too hard on it.

As for the gem staves - since I'm cautious when adding new weapons, I'd like to ask you guys what you think on each staff. My initial impressions are as follows:
Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire Staff: B-
Emerald, Ruby, Diamond Staff: A-

Here are my opinions about the gem staffs :
- Only 3 staffs can be got in the same world (depending on the ores you find).
- They can be separated in 3 tiers : Amethyst/Topaz, Sapphire/Emerald, Ruby/Diamond according to the ores required to craft them.
- I think there's a big gap between sapphire and emerald (autofire and piercing) despite requiring an ore from the same tier.
- The first two are the easiest to acquire but they are too weak.
- The last two are the strongest but their gems are rare to find.
- Emearld and Sapphire are in the middle of everything, not being the strongest staffs nor the hardest to craft.

I would class them in this order : Emerald >= Sapphire > Ruby >= Diamond > Topaz > Amethyst
About Amber, this one is definitely not worth to craft since ruby and diamond are better in every way. Extracting ambers requires mining many fossils and surviving in their place is hard (especially in expert mode). I would place Amber between Diamond and Topaz.

Here are my opinions about the gem staffs :
- Only 3 staffs can be got in the same world (depending on the ores you find).
- They can be separated in 3 tiers : Amethyst/Topaz, Sapphire/Emerald, Ruby/Diamond according to the ores required to craft them.
- I think there's a big gap between sapphire and emerald (autofire and piercing) despite requiring an ore from the same tier.
- The first two are the easiest to acquire but they are too weak.
- The last two are the strongest but their gems are rare to find.
- Emearld and Sapphire are in the middle of everything, not being the strongest staffs nor the hardest to craft.

I would class them in this order : Emerald >= Sapphire > Ruby >= Diamond > Topaz > Amethyst
About Amber, this one is definitely not worth to craft since ruby and diamond are better in every way. Extracting ambers requires mining many fossils and surviving in their place is hard (especially in expert mode). I would place Amber between Diamond and Topaz.
Amber Staff, I'm happy to move down.

For the most part, I agree with your ranking; I just put sapphire so far down because it's substantially weaker than emerald, lacking autofire and having weaker piercing capabilities (I believe), for roughly the same rarity.

In general I'm less concerned with how they compare to each other rather than how they compare to other weapons at their tier of the game. By that ranking amethyst and topaz would be okay, I suppose, given how little competition they have; by contrast, ruby and diamond would be ridiculously good for their "technical" tier but too rare to score so highly.

I think you'll be better than me to compare them to other weapons. You can also directly craft a ruby/diamond staff right at the start of your adventure and this is huge (it happened to me once, one of my first weapons was a diamond staff, hellevator approach). Because of the luck factor involved I let you compare them with the rest. But for the staffs themselves, that's definitely the right order.

I feel like it should be mentioned that the Space Gun is probably only worthy of S Tier when paired with the Meteor Armour, as the situational zero mana cost and increased projectile speed are pretty much the only reasons to use it over the Water Bolt.

Water bolt should be in S rank, it is useful even in hardmode and can be found in the first day. And amazon should be higher, its great, it can be built really early and it has nice damage. And there is more stuff like that.

Water bolt should be in S rank, it is useful even in hardmode and can be found in the first day. And amazon should be higher, its great, it can be built really early and it has nice damage. And there is more stuff like that.
A'ight, marked Waterbolt for contention. I agree with you on the Amazon, having just used it to kill the WoF with relative ease, so I moved it up a notch.

Does anyone think that the Bone Sword and Valor are out of their depth up there? I don't know quite why they ended up where they are.

Bee Keeper is really in C+? Wow. From personal use, I thought it was one of the best pre-hardmode swords. Not the best raw damage, but autoswing is a very precious commodity in this stage of the game - and it's still stronger than the Muramasa, the other pre-hardmode autoswing poster boy. Bee Keeper also releases bees on hit to deal a little extra damage and provide crowd control; hit enough enemies and it more or less becomes a built-in Vilethorn. The confusion debuff is actually perfectly serviceable and a nice cherry on top. Sure, it demands a dead Queen Bee, but that's hardly the meanest pre-hardmode has to offer (hello, Expert Mode Skeletron). Overall, I think it deserves a spot in B or B+ at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom