Time to Get Your Wiring On - Terraria 1.3.1 Update Launches Today on Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

505Games

Publisher/Developer
Staff member
505 Games
1575906021856.png

Greetings Switch Terrarians!

We are pleased to announce that the 1.3.1 content update for Terraria on Nintendo Switch is now available! This exciting update brings all-new possibilities and capabilities to the wiring/mechanical systems available to Terrarians, as well as a few nice Quality of Life features. For full details, you can check out the full changelog below - but we have provided a brief summary of the bigger items below:

NEW CONTENT

NEW FEATURES
  • Dart Traps & all Temple Traps can now be hammered to rotate 90 degrees at a time, revolutionizing arena building
  • Cannons (normal, bunny, confetti, Snowball Launcher) can now be controlled by wire and shoot fake projectiles!
  • New Combat Targeting/Lock On system - enable/map this to a button in the Settings Menu!

NEW ITEMS
  • Tons of new Wiring/Mechanical items - from Logic Gates to Logic Sensors to Junction Boxes, Conveyor Belts, and more!
  • Yellow Wrench adds a fourth wire color
  • The Grand Design, once crafted, will place all of your cool wiring tools in one place for easy use
    • The Grand Design has had some special UI modification to work better with touch on the Switch!
  • Team Blocks and Platforms make for cool new aspects to your PVP games
  • Static Hook will allow you full control over your grappling
  • New Pressure Plates, including the Teal Pressure Plate (which can be triggered by pets and projectiles)
  • Trapped Chests can now be crafted to keep others from poking around in your stuff
  • Angler Tackle Bag will make fishing more efficient than ever!
  • Brand new Critter & Monster Statues
  • And of course, who could forget that you will now be able to pick up your very own Companion Cube from the Traveling Merchant!

QUALITY OF LIFE TWEAKS
  • Improved Wire drawing to look less fuzzy with multiple colors on the same tile.
  • New large gem over-head display
  • You can now use situational building accessories from your inventory and toggle their effects like info accessories
  • Decompressed sprite graphics for improved fidelity

MISCELLANEOUS ADDITIONS
  • Duke Fishron will no longer run away so easily
  • You will find Beehives in the Jungle - Not the bees!
  • Torches can be put on actuated tiles

index.php

BUG FIXES

Along with the new features included in this update the team has also been working through the backlog of bugs. We’re happy to report that we have fixed well over 100 bugs in this patch. We want to thank everyone in the community who continues to report any issues that appear in the game. It’s a critical component to helping us improve things and keep them running smoothly.

This should include bug fixes from after the 1.3.1 launch on PS4/X1 as well as hundreds of additional bugs since the Switch launch itself. Listing all of those would be rather daunting and potentially confusing - so, if there has been a bug out there that is really bothering you, be sure to check and see if it's fixed!

index.php

WHAT ABOUT SPLITSCREEN/LOCAL MULTIPLAYER?

As we mentioned at the launch of Terraria for Nintendo Switch, we had intended/planned to have Splitscreen and Local Multiplayer at the start. However, these features were simply not ready at the time and we did not want to hold up an otherwise-solid version of the game for that reason alone. The team at Pipeworks has done a ton of work in this area over the time since launch - and great strides in performance improvement have been made - however, the performance levels in these modes are still just not up to the standard they need to be in order to get this out to you. This manifests as substantial drops in FPS, excessive stuttering, and - at the extremes - even slightly delayed/lagged player input. Taken together, these can materially impact gameplay.

While this is certainly unfortunate, and we 100% understand the ongoing frustration of those players for whom these are key features, we simply cannot in good conscience release these as-is. That said, getting Split Screen/Local Multiplayer running properly has been and will be a top-of-the-pile priority for the Switch development team. We ask that you hang in there a bit longer with us on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I'll wait for Local Multiplayer longer then. Was the main feature I hoped to play with... with my friend at school. I guess I shouldn't hope for local multiplayer before June 2020, right ? (June 2020 is the last month of school... in Canada atleast)

Guide seems to be broken (potential fix in 2nd edit below) - can't switch to place the material in the box to see what it's used in creating. Tried this in a post update world too, same result.
He wasn't working very well before the update either, it doesn't/didn't always show all the items required unless I swapped in other items for the same recipe, and didn't always let me scroll across to see what the items were called even when it did show their images.

Edit - same for Goblin Tinkerer, except I can take an item down to his slot with the analogue stick. He also seems to think I have 999 of every coin type in savings when an item is placed for reforging, takes money as normal, no money exploit from it... So far.

Edit - Possible Fix - I don't know exactly what I've done to fix(ish) this, but if I have to guess, it was from playing with my custom button setup. Potentially resetting L and R for cycling or assigning L and R to something else then reassigning them to cycle again...
Guide seems to work as before again now, Goblin Tinkerer won't cycle right though when on the item slot for reforging an item.
The other issue with the Guide persists though, it still doesn't always show all items required or allow me to scroll through all the items needed in a recipe.

I hope I don't find to much broken from this update, I've been playing this game on and off long enough to know how bad things can get with new updates.

Last edited:
I understand not wanting to rush the feature of split screen but it would have been REALLY cool if you'd considered expectations of consistentcey or at least did a better job communicating that it wasn't available.

At launch on eShop split screen was listed as a feature.

STILL Amazon and Walmart state there is split screen.

Rushed port. It's unreal to pretend that aside from split screen this game didn't need a bit more TLC.

With the new update I noticed that the controls changed almost immediately, really bugged me since I was super used to the old controls, I also noticed the guide won't let me see crafting stuff unless I undock my switch and manually drag the item into the slot, and crafting sometimes doesn't work, sorry to unload all these issues on you as soon as the update releases, keep up the good work, I love your game.

Hope you enjoy, switch terrarians! (Technically I am also a switch player but I mostly consider myself a mobile terrarian.)

With the new update I noticed that the controls changed almost immediately, really bugged me since I was super used to the old controls, I also noticed the guide won't let me see crafting stuff unless I undock my switch and manually drag the item into the slot, and crafting sometimes doesn't work, sorry to unload all these issues on you as soon as the update releases, keep up the good work, I love your game.

Check out my second edit in my post above, may have found a fix for the Guide and Goblin Tinkerer...

Was hoping this would fix the ranged aiming but it still aims in a diamond shape making it very hard to aim at enemies. The lock on helps a bit but i still would like to aim the normal way.

Soooo.... The Nintendo Switch Terraria got a fresh coat of paint thanks to the new 1.3.1 update. Good job Re-Logic.
Also, the bugs can be way too much thanks to the Switch's inferior hardware.

Last edited:
My game constantly lags on my switch by freezing for 1 second and causes the music to stop in that second also it’s quite frustrating

Nebula Armor stilled bugged, health buff still doesn't work.

I'm mage only and still can't play with endgame armor.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Terraria fan and have put in hundreds of hours into this game - more than any other non-MMORPG I have ever played. Made an account on the forum just to post this.

This port is far too buggy and is not an acceptable product. Nintendo has a "absolutely no refunds" policy on the eShop or I would be requesting one, as some of the bugs make the game nearly unplayable. I love being able to play Terraria on the go; I hate the fact that it is not a complete game and not the product that was promised. I hate that I paid $30 for a game that is not what it should be, when what it should be is a portable version of one of my favorite, most-loved games of all-time.

So far the known bugs in this update are:
- Can't properly use the guide/goblin tinkerer (due to controls possibly)
- Game shuts down entirely due to unknown reasons on pre-existing world (my bug; repeatable by returning to the same location), this one pretty much makes the world I spent several dozen hours on unplayable now.
- Items/accessories being deleted when switching them out (reported on reddit)
- Constant 1-second lag spikes/stuttering

Previously known bugs which were not fixed in the update include the below-mentioned Nebula Armor bug which makes the endgame mage gear useless, sucking the joy out of playing an entire class, and the famous "autosave on large worlds" bug which causes stuttering, freezing, and crashing. I have not tried to compile a list; those are just the ones I immediately know about.

Overall, I wish the devs would communicate with us on these issues. I always felt that Terraria was a labour of love for Re-Logic, Redigit, and their companions. I feel, on the other hand, that this port is a cheap cash-in designed to make money with minimal effort put in to make it an enjoyable and - most importantly - playable experience for the fans. I have no idea if any of these bugs will be addressed. If I at least knew that 505/Pipeworks were aware of these issues and were working diligently to fix them, I would feel better. But come on - endgame mage armor is still broken? A port that still freeezes and crashes months after launch? An update is released that breaks the game in multiple ways? This is not ok. At this rate, I would not purchase another game published by 505 or developed by Pipeworks, nor would I recommend the Switch port of Terraria to anyone, and I hate saying both of those things. I really do.

I hope this post is received not as an attack on the devs, but with the love it was intended. Please communicate with us. Please understand that we love this game and it is unplayable in many aspects and some of us - myself at least - feel let down. Please make things right.

(And yes - I have used the link for Switch bugs to report any bugs I have experienced myself, in case anyone was going to ask).

Nebula Armor stilled bugged, health buff still doesn't work.

I'm mage only and still can't play with endgame armor.
How long has that been going on? Has the developer addressed it in any form?

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Terraria fan and have put in hundreds of hours into this game - more than any other non-MMORPG I have ever played. Made an account on the forum just to post this.

This port is far too buggy and is not an acceptable product. Nintendo has a "absolutely no refunds" policy on the eShop or I would be requesting one, as some of the bugs make the game nearly unplayable. I love being able to play Terraria on the go; I hate the fact that it is not a complete game and not the product that was promised. I hate that I paid $30 for a game that is not what it should be, when what it should be is a portable version of one of my favorite, most-loved games of all-time.

So far the known bugs in this update are:
- Can't properly use the guide/goblin tinkerer (due to controls possibly)
- Game shuts down entirely due to unknown reasons on pre-existing world (my bug; repeatable by returning to the same location), this one pretty much makes the world I spent several dozen hours on unplayable now.
- Items/accessories being deleted when switching them out (reported on reddit)
- Constant 1-second lag spikes/stuttering

Previously known bugs which were not fixed in the update include the below-mentioned Nebula Armor bug which makes the endgame mage gear useless, sucking the joy out of playing an entire class, and the famous "autosave on large worlds" bug which causes stuttering, freezing, and crashing. I have not tried to compile a list; those are just the ones I immediately know about.

Overall, I wish the devs would communicate with us on these issues. I always felt that Terraria was a labour of love for Re-Logic, Redigit, and their companions. I feel, on the other hand, that this port is a cheap cash-in designed to make money with minimal effort put in to make it an enjoyable and - most importantly - playable experience for the fans. I have no idea if any of these bugs will be addressed. If I at least knew that 505/Pipeworks were aware of these issues and were working diligently to fix them, I would feel better. But come on - endgame mage armor is still broken? A port that still freeezes and crashes months after launch? An update is released that breaks the game in multiple ways? This is not ok. At this rate, I would not purchase another game published by 505 or developed by Pipeworks, nor would I recommend the Switch port of Terraria to anyone, and I hate saying both of those things. I really do.

I hope this post is received not as an attack on the devs, but with the love it was intended. Please communicate with us. Please understand that we love this game and it is unplayable in many aspects and some of us - myself at least - feel let down. Please make things right.

(And yes - I have used the link for Switch bugs to report any bugs I have experienced myself, in case anyone was going to ask).

How long has that been going on? Has the developer addressed it in any form?

I've directly shared your post into PW for their take and to see if they can find those bug reports.

I have not personally had issues with any of that (except the stuttering...) on my personal switch or my devkit and nor have my kids. That said, this just means it is not universal and there is some trigger here that we need to identify.

For this "crash location", can you provide any details on it? A screenshot or even a zoomed in map shot? Sometimes its crazy stuff that causes these things (looks at the firefly crash from mobile back in the days)....

I just checked my kit and I was able to Reforge and use the Guide Crafting Interface fine. What precisely is occurring?

What are the reproduction steps for this item deletion issue? I have not had that happen to me on either of my switches... but maybe I am not doing the exact things to have it happen. Obviously that is serious.

Stuttering is known to PW, that much I can 100% promise you. We bring it up as well.

All I can promise is that 100% will make sure this is seen and see what's up.

I've directly shared your post into PW for their take and to see if they can find those bug reports.

I have not personally had issues with any of that (except the stuttering...) on my personal switch or my devkit and nor have my kids. That said, this just means it is not universal and there is some trigger here that we need to identify.

For this "crash location", can you provide any details on it? A screenshot or even a zoomed in map shot? Sometimes its crazy stuff that causes these things (looks at the firefly crash from mobile back in the days)....

I just checked my kit and I was able to Reforge and use the Guide Crafting Interface fine. What precisely is occurring?

What are the reproduction steps for this item deletion issue? I have not had that happen to me on either of my switches... but maybe I am not doing the exact things to have it happen. Obviously that is serious.

Stuttering is known to PW, that much I can 100% promise you. We bring it up as well.

All I can promise is that 100% will make sure this is seen and see what's up.
Thanks Loki :)

Ok I have to say this and I hope it gets fixed but with this update I have lost all building controls like I did before update! I cannot build right from my inventory like I was able to before as it seems that toggle has been removed! Please put that back in this update as I loved it so much and now that it's gone I absolutely hate the update even with all the new additions that where added.

Thanks Loki - I actually did not expect to get a reply. It means a lot to me as a big Terraria fan that you took the time to respond and address all of my concerns. Maybe there is hope for this port after all :)

I took screenshots in the location where the crash happens. I will attach them at the end of this post, but can also share them in a bug report if that is better. I also learned something new; the crash did not happen when I was zoomed out to take a nice big screenshot, but when I zoomed back in it occurred immediately once I got past a certain resolution. It appears to happen consistently at the default zoom level but not at larger resolutions. (Please note that zooming in/out did not cause a crash anywhere else in my world that I could find; just this one location). I can submit this in another bug report if it would help.

In regards to the item deletion bug, that was reported to me by a redditor - so I probably should have taken it with a grain of salt. Specifically, they said: 'There have been many glitches in the game after the update. I’ve had some of my items be deleted such as my accessories and other crafting materials when going into menus or just trying to swap them out.' I have asked them to provide me with more details and/or report the bug via the online form (or share details here).

The guide/tinkerer bug was reported by Foamy036 a few posts above mine. I tried to reproduce it and was able to do so as follows (this is all in handheld mode): First, I tried to give the guide an item to look at for crafting using the L button to switch to his "box" - I was able to do so just fine. I then tried to do the same with the tinkerer's reforging and again was able to do so just fine, but he did show 999 of every coin type (I verified that this is a visual bug; reforging still costed money when I checked my savings). I then tried give the tinkerer another item after opening and closing his window and the "L" button no longer worked; it just cycled between my equipment window and main inventory window. I was still able to manually move the item down to his box using the analogue stick. Finally, I went back to the guide and this time, neither the "L" button nor the analog stick worked, though I was still able to drag and drop an item into his box via touchscreen. I went back to the tinkerer and he no longer allowed me to highlight his box via the "L" button nor via analog stick either. So basically highlighting their boxes to place an item worked normally with the L button at first, then only the analog stick worked, then only the touchscreen worked. This was all in one session; no closing/reloading the game.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I understand that it is not within your power to fix all of these (or any of these) things yourself, but what you have already done is appreciated and renews my faith in the devs of this game a bit.

Here are any relevant screenshots I have. If you would prefer that I submit any of these via the bug report link, please let me know - I would be happy to do so. I tried to name them as descriptively as possible. The first three show what gear/equipment/npcs I had at the time, the next shows exactly where the crash occurs (I was able to take a screenshot here because it only crashes when I zoom in a little more), and the last one shows a zoomed-out view right before the crash point (heading west to east).

Attachments

• near_crash_showing_gear.jpg
    near_crash_showing_gear.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 977
  • near_crash_showing_equipment.jpg
    near_crash_showing_equipment.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 949
  • near_crash_showing_npcs.jpg
    near_crash_showing_npcs.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 596
  • crash_here_once_zoomed_in.jpg
    crash_here_once_zoomed_in.jpg