Tips on Maintaining a Consistent Framerate?

TheUnrealMegashark

Official Terrarian
Whenever I run Terraria, I usually get around 30 fps. This is accompanied by slow animations and a 'laggy' cursor that feels floaty. However, I sometimes get 60 fps when I run the game, which is amazing. The entire game is buttery smooth and my cursor is responsive. I don't know if this is due to a program in the background or what, but some suggestions for maintaining a consistent framerate would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

In order to further assist you, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications.

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies(MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

In order to further assist you, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications.

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies(MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.
System Specifications
Processor: 2.4 Ghz, 4 cores
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: 1 TB
Video Card: Radeon 8650G HD, 4 GB video memory

I also have all the requirements installed.

I would also like to point out that both times, with both 30 fps and 60 fps I am using the same settings, but when I am getting 30 fps and I swap to trippy or retro lighting, I get 60 fps. This is a workaround, but I still don't understand why I would get 60 fps on Color lighting at one time, but 30 another.

Last edited:
System Specifications
Processor: 2.4 Ghz, 4 cores
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: 1 TB
Video Card: Radeon 8650G HD, 4 GB video memory

I also have all the requirements installed.

I would also like to point out that both times, with both 30 fps and 60 fps I am using the same settings, but when I am getting 30 fps and I swap to trippy or retro lighting, I get 60 fps. This is a workaround, but I still don't understand why I would get 60 fps on Color lighting at one time, but 30 another.
That sounds more than sufficient for terraria, may I ask what options you play on, and possibly if there are any apps open while playing?

That sounds more than sufficient for terraria, may I ask what options you play on, and possibly if there are any apps open while playing?
I play on maxed out settings in every aspect apart from resolution, which I play at 1280x720. There are almost always no apps running while I play.

Try fullscreen mode if you can, it seems to really help due to windows desktop rendering being stopped temporarily. Maybe try messing with your multicore lighting or quality as well until you find a decent balance. You should check task manager while playing to see if you are hitting max cpu or ram usage, not too sure how terraria works on multicore computers so it might just be everything is on one core apart from lighting.
Honestly your settings are definitely good enough to be running at the settings you are at so it could also be a myriad of things specific to your system/graphics card. Best you could do for this without proper tech support is making sure that all your drivers are updated, and maybe run a virus scan to see if there is something affecting it.

Ok, took me about an hour of fiddling around with a lot of changes, but I finally got back to 60 fps mode. I don't know if this will remain consistent throughout the day, but I'll see. I uninstalled a previous version of .Net, so maybe that had something to do with it? If not, I guess I'll just have to go through an arduous process to get it to 60 fps every time before I play.

Ok, took me about an hour of fiddling around with a lot of changes, but I finally got back to 60 fps mode. I don't know if this will remain consistent throughout the day, but I'll see. I uninstalled a previous version of .Net, so maybe that had something to do with it? If not, I guess I'll just have to go through an arduous process to get it to 60 fps every time before I play.
Always important to uninstall previous installations before resuming newer version, as .NET is a very flaky requirement it sometimes goes haywire when you install over a previous version. Most applications will uninstall themselves before installing new version, while others will simply overwrite. But, on a user-side note, it is ALWAYS recommended you uninstall previous version before going to the next level. This and restarting before doing so, can save a lot of issues.

Always important to uninstall previous installations before resuming newer version, as .NET is a very flaky requirement it sometimes goes haywire when you install over a previous version. Most applications will uninstall themselves before installing new version, while others will simply overwrite. But, on a user-side note, it is ALWAYS recommended you uninstall previous version before going to the next level. This and restarting before doing so, can save a lot of issues.
I just closed my laptop to do some work and opened back up, it didn't stay at 60 consistently, it dropped back down to 30. -_-

Have you made sure that your graphic card control panel isn't forcing unnecessary vsync or other settings on your games?

Back
Top Bottom