Tips on Purifying a World?

Igno

Golem
Sadly enough, the farthest I've ever gotten in a Terraria world was post-Golem three times. Since I'm not very experienced when it comes to the end-game (Moon Lord, purification, etc.), I thought I'd ask here for tips on the best way to purify your world. Any suggestions?

Purification is, in my eyes, strictly a matter of containment.

You're usually going to want to tackle most of it BEFORE hardmode starts, but you can still do it after (besides, you tend to have much better pickaxes at that time)
To contain the corruption/crimson/hallow, you just have to make sure there aren't any corruptible materials within 3 blocks of one (crimstone, hallowed grass, corruption's thorns, etc) and to do this, I usually build large vertical shafts all the way to the underworld to box them in. It doesn't HAVE to be to the underworld - but for protecting, say, the Jungle, I usually go all the way.

Use an uncorruptible material, such as Gray Brick or Stone Slabs, as the walls. Make the top a little higher, too, so that thorns can't spread over the barrier.

As for actively purifying? Use the Clentaminator. Burrowing into the afflicted areas and spraying a large area around you is a great way of clearing it up - just make sure you don't miss any single blocks.

Thanks so much! :D I've heard though that whenever you smash a demon/crimson altar in your world, it changes a single block in your world into crimson/corruption or hallow. Is this true?

Here's a tip, check out the Terraria Wiki, it has alot of guides to what to do and should help with crafting needs as well.

If you have alot of time to spare, dig a lot of wide tunnels all around your world before entering Hardmode.
You can also make a new world just to enter Hardmode and get better pickaxes to mine your pre-hardmode world faster

If you want to purify the entire world, and not just a select area:

Be ready to farm oceans of money to buy oceans of Clentaminator solution.
Don't be afraid to turn the affected area into a complex series of tunnels just so you can hit every single block with the Clentaminator.
Don't relax just because you think you got it all. You probably missed a few blocks, and the contagious biomes will regrow from those few blocks.
If all else fails, save yourself a ton of time and frustration by downloading a world editor program and using that fancy biome morph tool to purify everything in an instant.
If you actually do succeed, pat yourself on the back because all you accomplished was changing one line of dialogue from the Dryad and making yourself unable to farm anything unique to the contagious biomes.

Step 1: Cry
Step 2: Get Terrafirma (It's a map viewer that lets you highlight specific blocks.)
Step 3: Get roughly 19,000 cans of Green Solution. (On a large world, yes you'll need that many)
Step 4: Basically do the Scorched Earth tactic, except on your world.

An alternate approach towards dealing with the random stone conversion by smashing an alter, is to never actually smash an alter and use crates for the hardmode ores instead. it is a slower process but if you are really worried about the biomes spreading out of control it will work assuming the WOF stripes are properly dealt with. I do recommend keeping some of the spreading biomes as their are some very useful things found only in these biomes... (life force, heart reach,wrath rage and teleportation potions all rely on spreading biome fish for instance. Then their are resources like rotten chunks, vertebrae, pixie dust, unicorn horns, crystal shards, ichor, cursed flames souls on night/light that remain important for various general crafting purposes for pretty much the whole game.)

One can never have enough battle potions for instance ~:p

I'll probably just dig a 3-wide trench on either side of the biomes so I can keep them in my world but they won't spread.

If you do that, be mindful of vines and thorns. Crimson and Corruption can spread through their thorns and vines, so it may be a good idea to put a barrier of uncorruptible blocks around the part of the trench that's on the surface layer.

Purification is never necessary. Only do it if you're OCD, as far as the game itself is concerned, the more tainted your world is, the better (purity offers precisely NOTHING in terms of loot and progression)

Purification is never necessary. Only do it if you're OCD, as far as the game itself is concerned, the more tainted your world is, the better (purity offers precisely NOTHING in terms of loot and progression)
yeah from a pure progression wise veiwpoint purifying the world is kinda a waste of time. In general the only area truly at risk is the Jungle. And unless a chasm or wall of flesh stripe pass through the Jungle it usually is at no immediate risk. (If a stone block gets corrupted in the vast main jungle caverns you may be SOL this is a lesson learned the heard way) is the only thing in the game that needs protecting well I guess for ascetic value there is fire moss but that is purely cosmetic sigh...

As an unrelated aside fire moss deserves better I have a WIP suggestion for that but I need to actually finish it sigh... and then convince people that it is worthwhile but yeah.
The spreading biomes give unique loot, purity does not

Well, the Purity is a somewhat safer place to build your base, seeing as the Hallow does have some fairly annoying enemies.
But you probably would be building your base in the air, high enough to be unable to be reached by things on the ground, but low enough so Wyverns don't spawn. And also a fair distance away from the center of the suface so your NPCs don't get slaughtered by goblins, pirates, and aliens.

Also, I think certain fish may require Purity to catch, not that doing the Angler's quests is necessary in any capacity.

If you have a rod of discord its pretty easy to teleport to each cave and do a quick 360 of the clemtaminator with green solution, which doesn't require any trenches or holes in the ground, and will also make the entire map visible over time. I would recommend using a shroomite breastplate, vortex helmet, an ammo box, and possibly ammo reservation potions if you have the resources for them to save as much of the solution as possible.

Back
Top Bottom