Tool TNoob - Enable/Disable Expert Mode

Antag99

Skeletron Prime
After optimistically enabling "Expert Mode" on my first 1.3 world, I decided to make this tool for easily turning it off and on again.

TNoob (download, direct) is a tool that disables Expert Mode in a world.
TExpert (download, direct) is a tool that enables Expert Mode in a world.

To disable Expert Mode in a world, drop the .wld file (Located in My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Worlds) on TNoob.exe.
To enable Expert Mode in a world, drop the .wld file (Located in My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Worlds) on TExpert.exe.
Ensure that Terraria is closed and that no server is running before using this tool.
Also, make a backup of your world, just in case something would go wrong.

Check out the source code of TNoob and TExpert at the Github Repository.
As always, suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
I haven't tried this yet, but you might want to try the following:
Make it an option in settings
Have hardmode enabled/disabled
Be able to choose "Core (Soft, medium, hard)"
Turn on/off the effect of the demon heart.

I haven't tried this yet, but you might want to try the following:
Make it an option in settings
Have hardmode enabled/disabled
Be able to choose "Core (Soft, medium, hard)"
Turn on/off the effect of the demon heart.
  • Adding an option to the settings menu would require me to modify the Terraria client. I won't do this, at least not until there is a modding API for 1.3.
  • This tool is intended to change the Expert Mode setting of a world. I see no reason for also supporting turning on/off hardmode.
  • The effect of the demon heart cannot be changed separately without a mod. Like said, there is no modding API for 1.3 yet.
  • There are inventory editors for 1.3 that allows changing between softcore/mediumcore/hardcore.

• Adding an option to the settings menu would require me to modify the Terraria client. I won't do this, at least not until there is a modding API for 1.3.
  • This tool is intended to change the Expert Mode setting of a world. I see no reason for also supporting turning on/off hardmode.
  • The effect of the demon heart cannot be changed separately without a mod. Like said, there is no modding API for 1.3 yet.
  • There are inventory editors for 1.3 that allows changing between softcore/mediumcore/hardcore.
Okay, I just thought adding more features would be nice. Anyways, I didn't know tAPI has not been updated yet, sorry.

Okay, I just thought adding more features would be nice. Anyways, I didn't know tAPI has not been updated yet, sorry.
Well, I meant those features are just out of scope for this tool. We'll see if tAPI gets updated; in that case, I or someone else might make a mod for changing general world settings in-game.

expert mode is saved to the world, the [inserthere]core is saved to that player. so they're totally different things

expert mode is saved to the world, the core is saved to that player. so they're totally different things
Yeah; I actually think this is done wrong in Terraria. But there is not much to do about it. Like I said, use an inventory editor.

Does this work with tmodloader worlds? Do I have to convert both files (.wld & .twld) or just the .wld file?

Back
Top Bottom