Sprites Toad Caves (Alternate Spider Nests)

Izzabelle

Lunatic Cultist
kdcROYP.png

ErTUJYc.png

an alternate spider nests

kdcROYP.png

Introduction
vr-fSqwQzZGil4mrMj3r2aTllqM_TvnG6QJdm4j8yDD9k-P2FGyfA4sPPOUJQZELag8_u3x9XKK2Vt5C7qoD47Vqa5Xj0jYJxww78YAHgcKWk-Sgg_oUA1-oZmIxB5dC30mEzkC6
"Dark. Damp. And ominously cold. In these caves you'll no longer have to worry about Spiders. Because here you'll worry about their natural predator, the monstrous toads. But just because you don't have eight appendages doesn't mean you're off the menu -- the toads will consume whatever they can... armor and all."

Toad Caves 2.0! Welcome back, friends! I've taken the opportunity to resprite and reformat my first suggestion ever! Thank you for all of the support! There are a few changes to Toad Caves; some of the redundancies have been removed and a few things have been changed and altered based on feedback.
  • June 16, 2016
    • Resprited, Reformatted!

vr-fSqwQzZGil4mrMj3r2aTllqM_TvnG6QJdm4j8yDD9k-P2FGyfA4sPPOUJQZELag8_u3x9XKK2Vt5C7qoD47Vqa5Xj0jYJxww78YAHgcKWk-Sgg_oUA1-oZmIxB5dC30mEzkC6

kdcROYP.png

Disclaimer

***** Please Read Before Posting *****
This is a suggestion. And as such does not assume anything definitively. This means...

Balance is a non-issue; the numbers are provided to elicit an idea of what values an object could have. If the not-set-in-stone-imaginary numbers upset you, you're welcome to suggest other numbers, but they have no bearing on the suggestion changed or not.

Sprites are a non-issue; sprites have been provided, like balance, to help imagine the suggestion as a concept. In no way are any of the sprites final. Just like the numbers, they too are not-set-in-stone-imaginary things. This means that recolored, spliced, and unique sprites have no ultimate bearing on the suggestion. If any particular sprite upsets you, you are welcome to provide one of your own to remedy the not-actually-an-issue so that I may reject it.

This is an alternate. This means that Toad Caves can spawn in a world instead of Spider Nests. It does not replace Spider Nests. As an alternate, Toad Caves additionally do not mirror the values or gameplay of Spider Nests in a 1:1 ratio. It is it's own biome, not a recolor or reskin. Toad Caves is also NOT an expansion. There is no additional content. Content included in Toad Caves is a counterpart or replacement of existing content given to Spider Nests.

Lastly; as an alternate (and not an expansion or replacement), Toad Caves do not assume to redefine class balance. I'm sorry if your favorite class isn't represented well in the suggestion. If Spider Nests represented all classes equally, so too would Toad Caves.

kdcROYP.png

Environment & Item Changes

Environment

Sprite | Name | Replaces | Type | Max Stack | Rarity | Dimensions
GDAOP0t.png
| Moss Covered Chest| Web Covered Chest | Furniture | 99 |
Rarity_color_0_big.png
| 2x2

Monster Drops

Sprite | Name | Replaces | Type | Max Stack | Rarity
l3ASQeg.png
| Toad Skin | Spider Fang | Crafting Material | 99 |
Rarity_color_4_big.png

kdcROYP.png

Enemies

Standard Enemies

Sprite | Name | Drop 1 | Drop 2 | DMG | Health | DEF | KB Resist | Inflicts | AI | Spawn | Banner
y9IFrUu.png
| Ball Toad |
Gel.png
25% | | 25 | 100 | 12 | 25% | | Fighter | Underground, Cavern |
jgJ7JLZ.png
Hardmode Enemies

Sprite | Name | Drop 1 | Drop 2 | DMG | Health | DEF | KB Resist | Inflicts | AI | Spawn | Banner
BAwzMYf.png
| Bulk Toad |
l3ASQeg.png
75% |
VEXBiXe.png
2% | 80 | 300 | 50 | 90% |
Slow.png
| Fighter | Underground, Cavern |
EHu5BjS.png
y9IFrUu.png

The common fat toad, Ball Toads are amphibious and often feed off of the scraps left over from Bulk Toads. While small in size, Ball Toads are dangerous in dark cramped spaces; which is pretty much the only place you'll find them.

Ball Toads behave like very quick slimes.

BAwzMYf.png

The Bulk Toad is single-handedly why explorers second-guess themselves when deciding to go underground or not. Bulk Toads are adult Ball Toads that have become alphas in their pack. They are highly territorial and their stomach acids can digest anything.

The Bulk Toad moves like a slime, but attacks like a Hoplite. They move VERY slowly, spitting mucus at the player or trying to hit the player with their tongue. Their attacks inflict Slow.

kdcROYP.png

Equipment

Sprite | Name | DMG | Velocity | Mana | KB | Use Time | Rarity | Ingredients | Crafted At
VEXBiXe.png
| Wart Staff | 50 | 10 | 20 | 6 | 19 (Very Fast) |
Rarity_color_6_big.png
| |
TvGxUAM.png
| Pus Staff | 65 | 11 | 25 | 7 | 19 (Very Fast) |
Rarity_color_7_big.png
|
VEXBiXe.png
x1,
Chlorophyte_Bar.png
x20 |
Mythril_Anvil.png
/
Orichalcum_Anvil.png

Toad Skin Equipment

Sprite | Name | DEF | DMG | Mana | Use Time | Rarity | Ingredients | Crafted At | Bonus
sh1MTuR.png
| Toad Tome | | 20 | 10 | 35 (Slow) |
Rarity_color_4_big.png
|
l3ASQeg.png
x20 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| Summons Toad minions
FpmtMRA.png
| Croak Codex | | 25 | 10 | 35 (Slow) |
Rarity_color_4_big.png
|
l3ASQeg.png
x30 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| Summons King Toad sentry minion
J92AkCk.png
| Toad Kabuto | 8 | | | | |
l3ASQeg.png
x12 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| +1 minion cap
SuV3NE5.png
| Toad Cuirass | 8 | | | | |
l3ASQeg.png
x15,
gmxfRtH.png
x5 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| Minion Damage +7%
aRmfqHG.png
| Toad Sabatons | 6 | | | | |
l3ASQeg.png
x10,
gmxfRtH.png
x5 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| Minion Damage +7%
Iqxnflu.png
| Toad Armor | 22 | | | | |
l3ASQeg.png
x37,
gmxfRtH.png
x10 |
Iron_Anvil.png
/
Lead_Anvil.png
| Set: Gain +1 DEF for each active minion
VEXBiXe.png

The Wart Staff is a magic weapon that fires ricocheting slime balls behaving like Cursed Flames. It can poison enemies with the Venom debuff. Projectiles can ricochet 5 times, dissipating on their 6th impact. The projectiles can not travel through water.

TvGxUAM.png

The Pus Staff functions the same as the Wart Staff, but the slime balls drop miniature slime balls while traveling similar to the North Pole in function. The projectiles can cause Venom to enemies they hit. The smaller slime balls only bounce 2 times, dissipate on the 3rd impact, and deal 1/3 of the main projectile's damage.

sh1MTuR.png

The Toad Tome summons Toad Minions to aid the player. Toad minions restore 1 Health for every attack they make.
oJKSGzS.gif
z8lsMux.png

FpmtMRA.png

The Croak Codex summons the Toad King sentry minion to aid the player. The Toad King attacks by firing it's tongue at opponents. The tongue pierces enemies, similar to the Solar Eruption but with shorter range.
c0ZJQ4P.png

kdcROYP.png

Moss Covered Chest Loot

GDAOP0t.png

Sprite | Name | Replaces | Velocity | Hooks | Reach | Rarity
nLaG1Sc.png
| Toad Tongue | Web Slinger | 16 | 1 | 16 |
Rarity_color_2_big.png

kdcROYP.png

Fishing

Sprite | Name | Rarity | Height | Biome | Catch Chance | Used In
v0JhGlH.png
| Bell Toad |
Rarity_color_quest_big.png
| Underground, Cavern | Forest | |

Angler said:
I was trying to catch some fish in a Toad Cave when a baby toad took hold of my line. It was so heavy my line snapped! That toad owes me a fishing line! Bring it here so I can teach it a lesson!
v0JhGlH.png

kdcROYP.png

Stylist

LUINq6a.png
Stylist said:
UGH. There's moss in my hair!!

Stylist said:
There's no need to worry about Toad Caves they said. No one ever gets lost in Toad Caves they said!

kdcROYP.png

Support
1LuEnfV.gif

Feel free to copy the code below to place the biome sigil into your signature!
Code:
 [URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/toad-caves-alternate-spider-nests.13391/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1LuEnfV.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
I like this... however my concern is with the hook. I really would rather have the webslinger because of it's maneuverability over a velocity boost.

Also the stylist could use some new lines in a toad world.

Haven't compared stats for balance b/c lazy and I'm tired, but support.

The only thing I worry about in this amazing suggestion is the armor. That's 30 defense at max minion count (though I'm assuming it offers little to none by itself?)

I like this... however my concern is with the hook. I really would rather have the webslinger because of it's maneuverability over a velocity boost.
It was a thematic choice over a functional one. I thought about it for a while too, but eventually I just said "whatever, I just want to fire a toad tongue".

Also the stylist could use some new lines in a toad world.
Oh, good call -- I'll update with a section for her asap

Haven't compared stats for balance b/c lazy and I'm tired, but support.
Spoiler alert -- IMBA as all hell.

The only thing I worry about in this amazing suggestion is the armor. That's 30 defense at max minion count (though I'm assuming it offers little to none by itself?)
That's 30 from the armor alone :dryadsad: Might have to adjust the numbers. I'm not a balance person.

Why must it be an alternate? There's plenty of space underground for both this and spider nests.
I figure that this would work alright as an additional mini biome rather than a black-and-white alt.
Well, I guess it could be either -- I can alter the OP to make an either or distinction.

Whoa, this all looks phenomenal. But there's just one problem...

If this were added, and I found out that my 1.3 world had Spider Nests in it, I would be PISSED.
It would probably be a 50% of either to spawn (spider nest or toad place) . Well everyone would want the toad place though. The staves are cool the armor is cool the enemies look cool EVERYTHING LOOKS COOL

It would probably be a 50% of either to spawn (spider nest or toad place) . Well everyone would want the toad place though. The staves are cool the armor is cool the enemies look cool EVERYTHING LOOKS COOL
Nah, bro. YOU look cool.

I think I'd actually prefer the Spider Armor, as Hardmode is designed to seriously shock you and even toward the end you're receiving 60-70 damage from a lot of monsters (especially if you're a mage or summoner). Toad Armor probably isn't going to make much difference in keeping me alive.

Back
Top Bottom