Biomes & Nature [Tobbvald's Tinkering] A Revamp Of The 3 Alternate Evils

Tovlyn

Skeletron Prime
Introduction

When I first made the Contagion I had no idea that the debate surrounding the alternative evils was such a pressing matter, but now I do, and I think I have some interesting ideas to add to the mix. Unlike some previous tries made by others, I actually entertain the thought of the Alternative evils as just that, 3 different encounters, 3 different playthroughs. I view it like one big world with all 3 evils present, but different playthroughs take place near different sources. The demon eyes that have been tainted differently, and the Brotherhood dungeons being formed in resemblance to different evils are both examples of this bigger picture. The Hallow is set aside as it is a completely different tier, and thereby a completely different debate whether it should have an alternative or not. Adding my additional suggestions below will give this lore even more context.

This thread will process some different ways of achieving real alteration, since some found the Crimson to be lacking in this role, even overshadowing the "Original" evil, The Corruption. In my reasoning I will also relate to a previous suggestion of mine; The third evil of The Contagion, since this debate is as relevant for it as it is for The Crimson.

0cHjutS.png

Summary For Lazy People

-Introducing ways to make the different evils stand out from the crowd without becomming OP.

-Balanced power, none should be stronger than the other.

-Different spreading-mechanics.

-Different Corruption Thorn bush-type hazards.

-Different amounts of other mob-spawns like Zombies and Demon Eyes.

0cHjutS.png

The First Part: Evening The Odds

One of the main complaints with the Crimson, one that I am fully in agreement with, is that it comes with unmotivatedly higher stats than The Corruption's so called counterparts. I think that this needs sorting. In its current state, The Crimson is in no way harder than the Corruption, so for one I think all these smaller stat-variations must be nerfed, they don't add anything other than making one favourable and easier than the other, -the fishing rods being a good example of this.

One thing that has REALLY disturbed me since 1.2 came out is that the Band Of Starpower can be aquired in Corruption only. This item is FAR too vital for the mage's prowess to be bound to an alternative, I am open for suggestions as to where it should be aquired, but the Corruption clearly isn't the place if the Alternatives are ever to be equal. The first place that comes to mind is the jungle, the place where most early game-mage gear is aquired. That or the golden chests in the caverns.

0cHjutS.png

The Second Part: Difference Through Spread

One of the key features of the Evils is their ability to slowly creep across the surface and devour everything in their path, converting it in the process. This is a key-element and has potential to be one of the greater differences between them. Additionally I propose an individual alternative way for each evil to spread:

-Corruptors should regain their corruptive spit. This was a really unique ability of the Corruption, once it grew near the Player's domain, The Corruptors would make things even more difficult, and would at all times work to make it spread even further, only thick barricades could shut it out. It was removed in 1.2 as it was considered overpowered, but with the implementation of the Clentaminator I beg to differ.

-The Crimson should feature a new liquid, Ichor, that upon impact with blocks spreads Crimson, set it into motion and it will pour out over surfaces and convert everything in its path. Similar in physics to honeyblocks, destroying Crimstone has a chance of letting go of about half a bucket worth of this liquid. Breaking pots has this effect as well. - Firing random shots into the dark, or trying to mine away the Crimson would therefore NOT be very smart moves, as it may just spread even further by you doing so. Purification Powder and Clentaminator is the way to go. Touching ichor will inflict the Ichor-debuff, and will therefore become one of the major hazards discussed later on.

-The Burrowers, both Rotted and Normal would spread Contagious spores upon death, converting a small area of a few blocks where they die to Contagion. Waging wars against the Contagion outside of its own domain will be a futile effort since the more you slay, the further it spreads. (Minor reference to Gibli Studios' Nausicäe) Dealing with the mobs inside quarantines or within the biome itself would therefore be a more recommended approach.

One thing in common for all of these alternative means of spread is that they are hardmode exclusive. It is upon releasing the ancient spirits of light and dark that the Evils gain new ambition to devour. The Clentaminator will be much more needed in this revamp. -That or sealing off areas with thick barricades, or just do what people have done in all ages, which is not care at all.

I have also had suggested that these alternate spreadings should be featured in expert-worlds only, something I find most agreeable. Alternatively it could be its own alternative altogether, but personally I prefer having it as part of the increased difficulty of Expert, since players there would then be more prone to ward off evils than regular, with their aims a bit higher than the average player in terms of challenge.

0cHjutS.png

The Third Part: Hazards

One way to further set apart the 3 would be through adding unique hazards similar to The Corruptions thornbushes. I also think that Instead of just having a raw damage, a better way to intensify the threat of these hazards would be to make them have a percentual damage of a players total hit points, fairly small but noticable, it could still be negated by defense though. This would mean that they will remain a threat even in hardmode, making the players watch their steps around the evils.

The Corruption would feature Thornbushes, another idea would be occasional puddles of Vile Spit, dealing moderate damage, essentially introducing a new liquid to The Corruption. The mandible-stalagtites and stalagmites will also deal moderate damage upon contact, so breaking them is recommendable but they will eventually grow back.

The Crimson would already have a lot of hazardous potential as it stands, with Ichor seeping out of everything you break, essentially rendering you vulnerable as soon as you do almost anything from mining blocks to breaking pots, be it intentionally or not. Furthermore it has been suggested by Twaintoss that when Ichor collides with any other liquid it will crystalize and form spikes similar to the mandibles of the Corruption.

There would be a special kind of mushroom in the Contagion, similar in shape to the Mushroom workbench, two blocks wide, but with a distinct appearance. When stepping on it it explodes dealing moderate damage, but also releases a cloud of spores. If you are unlucky enough to be hit by these spores you will get a debuff inflicted upon you, Contamination. This debuff covers your characters in spore-particles and makes the player themself temporarily spread Contagion wherever they go, binding the player to the Mires as long as the debuff lasts. (Want suggestions regarding how long this debuff should last, thinking maybe 2 mins).

The result of these hazards is that each evil has its own danger-zone, Crimson being its spike-filled caverns, Corruption's thorny surface, and a lesser threat everywhere in the Contagion from spore-blowing mushrooms. The biome-unique mobs enhance this further, with Burrowers enhancing the Corrosions lesser hazards, and Corruptions Clingers strengthening the underground, and the various aquatic Crimson-types swimming around in the Crimson-exclusive liguid which will quickly start to pile up as you explore.

0cHjutS.png

The Fourth Part: Smaller Generation Differences

This idea is till under works, and I have many approaches in consideration. I will get back to it when I feel that I have something more interesting to put here.

0cHjutS.png

The Final Part: Difference Through Mobs

A final way to set differences between the 3 evils is through not only their own mobs, but the other ones.

The difference should be purely an aesthetic, with alternate sprites per evil. For example more green demon eyes and marshzombies in Contagion worlds, more purple Demon eyes and some new sprites for zombies, and so on. The difference shouldn't be complete though, there should still spawn different sprited enemies than the evil for a particular world, since they shouldn't be completely different universes, just different locations in one big world, having the occasional Contagion-eye in a Crimson-playthrough enhances the feeling of being near something evil, a source of one of the many foul things that lurk in Terraria.

0cHjutS.png

Thanks For Reading​

Last edited:
hmmI think the issue is right now crimson has all out better stats instead there should be trade offs making one better at something than the other but the other having advantages as well. Right now the only thing of value in the corruption (well compared to the crimson) is the vilethorn and the band of starpower.
as the crimson gets a spear and flail this puts corruption worlds noticeably in a worse place for spear wielders. To equal out the two the corruption should have a craftable spear(similar to how the crimson has a craft-able flail and a drop-able spear)

Crimson armor should take a statistical hit. The armor is currently too good for far too long as it can easily last you well into hardmode. Due to its health regeneration typically mitigating its prehardmode level defenses there is little reason to upgrade until you get the final tier of hardmode ore armor. My current progression path for crimson worlds is usually crimson->titanium the health regen is so good that it mitigates the defense loss shadow is no where near this good. This is one of the main reasons that crimson worlds are easy mode compared to the corruption.

In a hardmode comparison Cursed flames is also nearly useless compared to the vastly superior golden shower.

As for adding enemy spreading I will be fine as long as some precautions are taken notably (mud conversion must be removed jungle either needs to be no longer corruptable or needs to handle the spreading biomes in the same manor as the snow biome. With corruptors the jungle would fade rapidly just like it used too and as the jungle can't be restored when infected it would cut off significant amounts of game content.

I am breaking my "No giving Likes" rule for this thread, as the idea of more distinction, but also more balance between variants is something that appeals to me, and also because I very much like your additional form of evil.

I'm not so sure about the crimson having ichor as a liquid that spreads more crimson... I believe that engine Terraria runs on can only support 4 liquids, so ichor would have to take the last spot. The ichor would also be far more effective at spreading crimson, as it could leak into a large cave and keep falling deeper and deeper into the cave converting everything it touches. It also brings up the question of what happens if you use the clentamitator on a pool of ichor.

In a hardmode comparison Cursed flames is also nearly useless compared to the vastly superior golden shower.

As for adding enemy spreading I will be fine as long as some precautions are taken notably (mud conversion must be removed jungle either needs to be no longer corruptable or needs to handle the spreading biomes in the same manor as the snow biome. With corruptors the jungle would fade rapidly just like it used too and as the jungle can't be restored when infected it would cut off significant amounts of game content.
Actually, simply making mud able to carry all grass-types except regular would be sufficient to elliminate this issue. Then even IF a jungle is covered in evil, simply spraying it with green solution would convert the mud-type grass to it's green mud-type grass equivalent, Jungle. The only real issue with the current engine is the mud-to-dirt conversion, get rid of that and the problem solves itself.

Considering how often the Jungle is at least partially converted from the start, I think some kind of punishment for it in the form of stronger converted Jungle-enemies is in order, it would help the player getting their resolve together in cleaning up that mess.

I'm not so sure about the crimson having ichor as a liquid that spreads more crimson... I believe that engine Terraria runs on can only support 4 liquids, so ichor would have to take the last spot. The ichor would also be far more effective at spreading crimson, as it could leak into a large cave and keep falling deeper and deeper into the cave converting everything it touches. It also brings up the question of what happens if you use the clentamitator on a pool of ichor.
Good to have some feedback on this, it always was the one difference I were the least sure of. But given that an uncaring Contagion-player could easily sweep the Contagion over vast distances just from being tainted for a little while, or being chased by corruptors, the only real catch is its unnecessarily long spread. Maybe that can be countered by it simply freezing after being fluid for a certain amount of time. Given how quickly the blood of wounds coagulates it would make sense, what with it being the blood of gods and all.

-And regarding Clentaminator, the simplest solution would be to have it freeze to either a special Block of Coagulated Ichor, which could then be used for maybe furniture or decorations and the likes, a block that also appears when clashing with water or maybe Lava. Then sweeping with the Clentaminator on fluid Ichor would be handled as if swept over an area of coagulated Ichor instead of Fluid, preferably turning it to stone, which if converted again could spew out new Ichor.

Finally, about that liquid-cap, I see no problem there. If this fills up that final hole, then I think it would do a great job doing it. I've seen very few other potential contestants, and considering how much in terms of atmosphere this would add, I think it's worth it.

The First Part: Evening The Odds

One of the main complaints with the Crimson, one that I am fully in agreement with, is that it comes with unmotivatedly higher stats than The Corruption's so called counterparts. I think that this needs sorting. In its current state, The Crimson is in no way harder than the Corruption, so for one I think all these smaller stat-variations must be nerfed, they don't add anything other than making one favourable and easier than the other, -the fishing rods being a good example of this.​

I don't really agree with this. Pre-HM is debatable, but those eaters can spawn in large quantities and are able to swarm in ways the Crimson cannot do as quickly with most of the mobs it spawns being locked to the ground. Not only that, but the Devourer cancels the whole 'Dirt OP' by hitting high digits on early characters that have decided to burrow themselves to hide from the Eaters.

As for Hardmode, I just believe that the Crimson being stronger is an illusion. While the Herpling is quick and has a good immunity to knockback, its charging pattern makes it easy to attack and kill quickly. Demon Scythe is a prime example that dispatches these enemies swiftly. Floaty Gross is slow and weak in compromise for its wall-passing ability. I can usually hold them off with just a pickaxe while mining HardMode ore. Ichor Stickers are painful, but are 100% inaccurate at range due to their inability to adjust their aim as their ichor shots have a trajectory. Most Ichor Stickers, if they are hitting you, should be able to be shot easily. They also have no damn idea what lava is and swim in it at will.

With the Corruption, we first have the Corrupt Slime. That beats its crimson counterpart, no questions asked. The World Feeder is kind of in the same boat as Floaty Gross, so I can't really compare them there. The Corruptors are more of a harasser because of their flying patterns. They spit high-damage projectiles at any range (which are very hard to see without decent light) and can stay away from the Player's aim for a good amount of time. And the Clingers are somewhat the same thing too; their range is unlimited and that no-drop green flame invincible projectile is certainly an irritation. Damage-over-time is a deadly thing for the Player, especially on those engagements when you just survive, only to see your health slowly drop to none. Clingers are unintentionally stealthy too as it can be difficult to spot them burrowed in ebonstone.

Concerning the Eater of Worlds and the Brain of Cthulhu, I can't deny that the BoC is far superior. That is mostly, however, due to the fact that the EoW is quite an old and out-dated boss in comparison.

I don't really agree with this. Pre-HM is debatable, but those eaters can spawn in large quantities and are able to swarm in ways the Crimson cannot do as quickly with most of the mobs it spawns being locked to the ground. Not only that, but the Devourer cancels the whole 'Dirt OP' by hitting high digits on early characters that have decided to burrow themselves to hide from the Eaters.

As for Hardmode, I just believe that the Crimson being stronger is an illusion. While the Herpling is quick and has a good immunity to knockback, its charging pattern makes it easy to attack and kill quickly. Demon Scythe is a prime example that dispatches these enemies swiftly. Floaty Gross is slow and weak in compromise for its wall-passing ability. I can usually hold them off with just a pickaxe while mining HardMode ore. Ichor Stickers are painful, but are 100% inaccurate at range due to their inability to adjust their aim as their ichor shots have a trajectory. Most Ichor Stickers, if they are hitting you, should be able to be shot easily. They also have no damn idea what lava is and swim in it at will.

With the Corruption, we first have the Corrupt Slime. That beats its crimson counterpart, no questions asked. The World Feeder is kind of in the same boat as Floaty Gross, so I can't really compare them there. The Corruptors are more of a harasser because of their flying patterns. They spit high-damage projectiles at any range (which are very hard to see without decent light) and can stay away from the Player's aim for a good amount of time. And the Clingers are somewhat the same thing too; their range is unlimited and that no-drop green flame invincible projectile is certainly an irritation. Damage-over-time is a deadly thing for the Player, especially on those engagements when you just survive, only to see your health slowly drop to none. Clingers are unintentionally stealthy too as it can be difficult to spot them burrowed in ebonstone.

Concerning the Eater of Worlds and the Brain of Cthulhu, I can't deny that the BoC is far superior. That is mostly, however, due to the fact that the EoW is quite an old and out-dated boss in comparison.
Enemy wise I think you are right outside the EOW they are both quite potent in the adversaries they bring against you. However the issue is the Equipment for the crimson is vastly superior for the corruption despite not being much harder to obtain...

As for the evil biomes what about a moss entity (as in grows and spreads like the moss found underground) If something could spread like that t would make the underground far more potent as the growth could spread far more rapidly underground and would fit well thematically with both the Corruption and Contagion.
(this way the throrns and mushrooms mentioned could spread underground I'm a bit iffy to support the ichor idea however due to the only 4 fluids possible and its colors would be too similar to Honey...

As for the evil biomes what about a moss entity (as in grows and spreads like the moss found underground) If something could spread like that t would make the underground far more potent as the growth could spread far more rapidly underground and would fit well thematically with both the Corruption and Contagion.
(this way the throrns and mushrooms mentioned could spread underground I'm a bit iffy to support the ichor idea however due to the only 4 fluids possible and its colors would be too similar to Honey...
Personally I think that the current spread is more than enough and can easily become quite tedious when trying to clear out, no need for a spreading moss, other than maybe for Contagion as an alt-spread purely for added atmosphere.

-And bringing up the issue with similar colors was all you had to do to convince me; the Ichor is a bad idea. I don't want the last liquid in Terraria to be the same as another, and similar even to lava, that'd be 3 warm yellow-orange colors vs one other -no thanks.

That does however bring up a good question; how should the Crimson be set apart in spread from the rest? You guys' ideas are as good as mine at this point, so fire away, good ideas are always helpful.

Personally I think that the current spread is more than enough and can easily become quite tedious when trying to clear out, no need for a spreading moss, other than maybe for Contagion as an alt-spread purely for added atmosphere.

-And bringing up the issue with similar colors was all you had to do to convince me; the Ichor is a bad idea. I don't want the last liquid in Terraria to be the same as another, and similar even to lava, that'd be 3 warm yellow-orange colors vs one other -no thanks.

That does however bring up a good question; how should the Crimson be set apart in spread from the rest? You guys' ideas are as good as mine at this point, so fire away, good ideas are always helpful.
hmm If I had to go with anything to facilitate the spread of the crimson my thought would be a cancer. I'd suggest tumors or organs that grow out of blocks and could spread to new areas through "blood vessels(which would be background objects) letting these organs attach and infuse into things would help add to the feel of a living mass of flesh something the crimson is lacking on right now

hmm If I had to go with anything to facilitate the spread of the crimson my thought would be a cancer. I'd suggest tumors or organs that grow out of blocks and could spread to new areas through "blood vessels(which would be background objects) letting these organs attach and infuse into things would help add to the feel of a living mass of flesh something the crimson is lacking on right now
That's not bad, but it does create a slight problem. With the other two, the unique means of spreading is something active. That is to say, it's something that requires a direct action from the player, either killing an enemy in the wrong environment, or failing to prevent an enemy reaching an environment. The organ and vein approach is very organic, but it's also passive, meaning that it happens without the player's involvement. It also doesn't stand out much from the existing means of spread.

As I said, the Corruption would have enemies that spread in small patches while alive, and the Contagion would have enemies what spread large patches when they die. So, what if we don't abandon the idea of ichor as a vector altogether, but make it more limited than a fluid. Suppose, for instance, that there were enemies that would bleed when they take knockback. The stronger the knockback, the larger an area they bleed over. Thus, the best way to fight them is contained, like the other two, but if that fails the player must be very delicate - surgical even - in how they fight them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cancer is the mutation of an individual's cells, right? None of the purity ever belonged to the Crimson, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

You could make the Corruption viral and the Crimson bacterial maybe...

Edit: If we're talking about adding/changing ways for the biomes to spread, bear in mind that people got :red:y over the simple Corruptor spit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cancer is the mutation of an individual's cells, right? None of the purity ever belonged to the Crimson, so it just doesn't make sense to me.

You could make the Corruption viral and the Crimson bacterial maybe...
Cancer is when cells mutate and multiply uncontrollably, so in a way the crimson itself is like cancer... but the corruption and contagion could be considered a cancer on the land as well.

Cancer is when cells mutate and multiply uncontrollably, so in a way the crimson itself is like cancer... but the corruption and contagion could be considered a cancer on the land as well.

The key word was individual. It's your own cells mutating and spreading without something else influencing it.

Viruses also mutate cells to their own DNA and spread it explosively to other cells. At least, I think that's the way it has. Haven't revised this stuff for years.

To credit any one evil to be either a tumor or a form of wordly cancer is far too vague to work in the long run, they are all three both cancers and tumors of Terraria, so let's instead credit them for what actually sets them apart:

Crimson is a corpse of a god, as hinted to by the skeletons seen in the background and the fact that it's organic and leaking Ichor. It's far from dead yet though, and its components are acting on their own accord, seemingly assembling some kind of personal guard from what biological parts it stumbles upon.

Corruption is something that fell from the sky, some kind of galactic locust perhaps, seeking to turn Terraria into its semi-organic hive, considering the similar traits of all its beasts I think it's safe to assume that it's a more organized invasion rather than just a natural expansion.

Contagion is a parasite in any shape or form imaginable. It is a natural order turned upside down by an unearthly virus spread by a giant rotting fruit planted there by someone or something. It turns dead into puppets, and its semi-sentient components seek only to spread its influence.
That's not bad, but it does create a slight problem. With the other two, the unique means of spreading is something active. That is to say, it's something that requires a direct action from the player, either killing an enemy in the wrong environment, or failing to prevent an enemy reaching an environment. The organ and vein approach is very organic, but it's also passive, meaning that it happens without the player's involvement. It also doesn't stand out much from the existing means of spread.

As I said, the Corruption would have enemies that spread in small patches while alive, and the Contagion would have enemies what spread large patches when they die. So, what if we don't abandon the idea of ichor as a vector altogether, but make it more limited than a fluid. Suppose, for instance, that there were enemies that would bleed when they take knockback. The stronger the knockback, the larger an area they bleed over. Thus, the best way to fight them is contained, like the other two, but if that fails the player must be very delicate - surgical even - in how they fight them.
Well spoken. The idea of Ichor shouldn't be abandoned, in fact, how about this: instead of spreading a liquid the "Crimson pots" and random blocks instead just explode in a small shower of it, the droplets themselves spread Crimson, and debuffs the player with Ichor.

Last edited:
To credit any one evil to be either a tumor or a form of wordly cancer is far too vague to work in the long run, they are all three both cancers and tumors of Terraria, so let's instead credit them for what actually sets them apart:

Crimson is a corpse of a god, as hinted to by the skeletons seen in the background and the fact that it's organic and leaking Ichor. It's far from dead yet though, and its components are acting on their own accord, seemingly assembling some kind of personal guard from what biological parts it stumbles upon.

Corruption is something that fell from the sky, some kind of galactic locust perhaps, seeking to turn Terraria into its semi-organic hive, considering the similar traits of all its beasts I think it's safe to assume that it's a more organized invasion rather than just a natural expansion.

Contagion is a parasite in any shape or form imaginable. It is a natural order turned upside down by an unearthly virus spread by a giant rotting fruit planted there by someone or something. It turns dead into puppets, and its semi-sentient components seek only to spread its influence.

Well spoken. The idea of Ichor shouldn't be abandoned, in fact, how about this: instead of spreading a liquid the "Crimson pots" and random blocks instead just explode in a small shower of it, the droplets themselves spread Crimson, and debuffs the player with Ichor.
Hmm that gives me an idea to improve the growth idea earlier. What if we have "growable" pots in the crimson normally pots are depleted, however we could have them grow back in hardmode at the cost when broken the splatter everywhere leading to a massive spread boost. This could make it an incentive to avoid fighting the crimson at the edge parts of the territory as you risk destroying the "pots". As for a safe removal it should take holy water equivalents or clentaminator fuel for a non crimson biome to do something related to it...

Note I'm just brainstorming, so if I say something helpful that's my goal if its bad then I'll try again :)

Hmm that gives me an idea to improve the growth idea earlier. What if we have "growable" pots in the crimson normally pots are depleted, however we could have them grow back in hardmode at the cost when broken the splatter everywhere leading to a massive spread boost. This could make it an incentive to avoid fighting the crimson at the edge parts of the territory as you risk destroying the "pots". As for a safe removal it should take holy water equivalents or clentaminator fuel for a non crimson biome to do something related to it...

Note I'm just brainstorming, so if I say something helpful that's my goal if its bad then I'll try again :)
That's actually a brilliant idea. I mean, the encouragement for carefulness near its borders was what I was shooting for, but regrowing pots would make it a long-term spreading solution as well! And I think that if they regrow at a very slow pace, and the fact that they weaken you upon breaking, AND spread Crimson, I think there's a sufficient counterweight. Given how Jungle grass works I can tell that the mechanic needed for this is already in the game, so why not? The only thing required is to make a particle that can spread biomes.

That's actually a brilliant idea. I mean, the encouragement for carefulness near its borders was what I was shooting for, but regrowing pots would make it a long-term spreading solution as well! And I think that if they regrow at a very slow pace, and the fact that they weaken you upon breaking, AND spread Crimson, I think there's a sufficient counterweight. Given how Jungle grass works I can tell that the mechanic needed for this is already in the game, so why not? The only thing required is to make a particle that can spread biomes.
Didn't vile spit used to do that before it was nerfed? Additionally holy water and un-holy water still have the same effect so it should be possible. That could be used as a basis just change the biomes and make the splash radius centered around the pot.

Didn't vile spit used to do that before it was nerfed?

Vile spit pretty much insta-corrupted anything in its splash radius (this radius didn't do damage to the player). People got really moany about it because it was ruining their builds or 'destroying' their world and rubbish like that. I said it earlier in this thread, but spreading apart from what it is now would be frowned upon.

If you can convince the dev team to tell moaners who are unable to take precautions for their precious builds against the corruption/hallowed/crimson to L2P and make the environment a proper threat then I'd be pretty happy.

Vile spit pretty much insta-corrupted anything in its splash radius (this radius didn't do damage to the player). People got really moany about it because it was ruining their builds or 'destroying' their world and rubbish like that. I said it earlier in this thread, but spreading apart from what it is now would be frowned upon.

If you can convince the dev team to tell moaners who are unable to take precautions for their precious builds against the corruption/hallowed/crimson to L2P and make the environment a proper threat then I'd be pretty happy.
Actually, Red and Co. have given us a unique opportunity for this. With the upcoming expert mode, there will be a "harder than hard" gamemode. While it remains to be seen if it will be a further event triggered mode, like Hardmode, or a toggled map setting, we do know that it will add new mob behaviours. So that's one place that new spread mechanics could go, since anyone going into that should already know that they are signing themselves up for the greatest possible level of challenge.

Back
Top Bottom