Game Mechanics [Tobbvald's Tinkering] Early Hardmode Progression (The Missing Thread)

I fear that I might be going off on a tangent here, so I don't think I will make another reply to this...
Early normalmode armor is pointless, you can easily go to the corruption and farm ancient shadow armor immediately (provided you have a corruption )
Exactly why I made that point - Earlygame armor is useless because it is a grind to obtain and by the time you get enough ore to make the Gold, Silver or arguably even Iron tier armor, it is made useless considering by that time you usually will wind up fighting the eye shortly afterwards. This is where you realize that your ability to dodge and fight back is more important and easier to do than grinding for hours to get that elusive Gold Tier Armor. This is made worse by the fact that it is soon going to be superseeded by Shadow Tier Armor or arguably even Pumpkin Armor if you are willing to buy the seeds from the Dryad and wait for enough to grow to get you the armor.
I don't count relying on the RNG in a biome that has a 50% chance to spawn in any given world to deliver you armor that will skip several smaller tiers as an example to show that earlygame armor is useless.

I fear that I might be going off on a tangent here, so I don't think I will make another reply to this...

Exactly why I made that point - Earlygame armor is useless because it is a grind to obtain and by the time you get enough ore to make the Gold, Silver or arguably even Iron tier armor, it is made useless considering by that time you usually will wind up fighting the eye shortly afterwards. This is where you realize that your ability to dodge and fight back is more important and easier to do than grinding for hours to get that elusive Gold Tier Armor. This is made worse by the fact that it is soon going to be superseeded by Shadow Tier Armor or arguably even Pumpkin Armor if you are willing to buy the seeds from the Dryad and wait for enough to grow to get you the armor.
I don't count relying on the RNG in a biome that has a 50% chance to spawn in any given world to deliver you armor that will skip several smaller tiers as an example to show that earlygame armor is useless.
While I agree that this is how it usually works for more experienced players, there should always be alternatives for those less experienced. I feel that what sets the first couple of armors apart from the rest is that they are just raw stat-increases, a small little bonus for those who need it, not meant to be kept beyond the upcoming bossfights. Considering how small and insignificant the abilities of the first ability-armors are I have a difficult time even imagining what the first 4 sets could have that wouldn't make the upcomming shadow/crimson tier more redundant.

While I agree that this is how it usually works for more experienced players, there should always be alternatives for those less experienced. I feel that what sets the first couple of armors apart from the rest is that they are just raw stat-increases, a small little bonus for those who need it, not meant to be kept beyond the upcoming bossfights. Considering how small and insignificant the abilities of the first ability-armors are I have a difficult time even imagining what the first 4 sets could have that wouldn't make the upcomming shadow/crimson tier more redundant.
The bigger issue with the first four armor sets is the amount of grinding required to obtain them as opposed to not garnering enough boosts (well, any more and the Shadow Tier might become obsolete; I was more thinking of a slight reduction to Defense in exchange for a small effect to make them more notable) which makes the game not so newcomer friendly, but I suppose that's for a different topic.

Imma dump some "Behemech" name ideas here.

The Harvester
The Guardian
The Monarch
The Cutter
The Harbinger
The Vessel
The Fallen
The Catharsis

My choice is "The Harvester."

Regardless, I rather like this.

RXqBtvH.png

Scironex Seal of Approval

Just for the record: Palladium has two "l"s.

Also, my suggestion for the Behemech's name is The Infestor.

Otherwise, support :) This idea looks amazing.

Once again a pretty amazing suggestion. I really understand this, because I always thought that Terraria should balance Hardmode. Support.

fPwkuhw.png

Introduction

Greetings. This is the home of Tobbvald's Tinkering, a conceptual and (hopefully) inspiring project for the developers of Terraria. The goal with each issue is to offer ideas on how to improve an element of the game, usually by tying together previously existing concepts and trends, more than often connecting with previous issues brought up. The reason it started out with a distinct tag was because I realized that the ideas were too closely knit to release them without a way to easily maneuver through the entirety, and since I lacked knowledge of the portfolio section it ended up as it did.

0cHjutS.png

The Mother of All Summaries For Lazy And Curious People

-Introduction of an individual "Night's Edge-like" sword for each evil.

-Introduction of a third corruption-alternative.

-The end result will be 3 different "playthroughs" with their own evil biome and counterpart, much more involving than it is now.

-Enhanced stats and behaviours of the Alternative evils to make them stand out more, yet not end up overshadowing each other.

-Modified Early- to Mid- Hardmode progression, made to be more interesting with more and new abilities.

-Each evil has it's own mechanical boss.

-Greatly enhanced difficulty-settings, complete freedom in choosing your challenge/doom.

-All threads have not yet been made, and more threads may be added, some will be reworked at some point as well.

-Ria, the combination of all three playthroughs ultimate swords.

-???

0cHjutS.png

The Link-Archive

hTPQoRb.png

The Contagion.
The Covert
3 Alternate Evils.
Sword Rebalancing.
Difficulty options.
Necronomitron.
Early Hardmode Progression. NEW !
RIA
ojPo4WI.png

sqJfJk9.png

? ? ?

My Art Thread.

0cHjutS.png

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned!

I really like these ideas. And your sprites are amazing!

i like this, but i don't think the original hardmode ore armors should have different special abilities, i think that they should just have higher stats than the new ones. and when you think about it, the new set bonuses are not much different than the old ones. here's a list of the set bonuses and what i think about them:

cobalt-swiftness: this would be really annoying and not very useful in my opinion, i already hate the tabi because it makes me accidentally fly off ledges or charge into lava or traps a lot, and it doesn't really help. i think cobalt's special ability should be that all attacks, not just melee, are faster.

mythril-shrapnel: when you think about this, it's just extra damage, which mythril already has. not much different except it can pierce a little, but it's still basically increased damage.

adamantite-steeling: this is basically the equivalent of extra defense, except you have to hit enemies to activate it.

other than that, i like it, and i think behemech is a cool name and a cool boss.

Back
Top Bottom