Biomes & Nature [Tobbvald's Tinkering] Necronomitron and The Dungeon

Tovlyn

Skeletron Prime
Introduction

lu5eaOl.png

Hello one and all. With this part of Tobbvald's Tinkering we are reaching full circle. The observation that started it all was when i noticed the various color-schemes hinting of a currently unseen evil, a green-themed menace I call The Contagion (earlier known as The Corrosion). One of the more heavy sources of inspiration was the dungeon, it was not only colored in these 3 special colors but also had wall engravings alluding to the evils directly, resulting in much speculation on my part.

This suggestion aims to flesh out the dungeon experience in ways I think could both complement these earlier noted concepts and enhance the entire game’s progression.

0cHjutS.png

Summary for lazy people

-The penultimate boss, Necronomitron

-A hardmode upgrade on the Dungeon, re-envisioned.

-A third visit to the Dungeon

-More in line with the 3 alternate evils.

-New gear, adding as I finish it.

0cHjutS.png

Before Hardmode - First Visit

The first thing altered is that each of the 3 different playthroughs, Corruption, Crimson and Contagion each features a dungeon of corresponding color, meaning only blue dungeons for Corruption playthroughs and so on.

Most playthroughs takes the player into the dungeon one round before releasing the spirits of light and dark, most aspects remain the same at this tier/entry with only some slight changes.

Upon defeating Skeletron the player ventures down into the darkness and faces off against skeletons and traps, the walls are more worn down than they are normally, with moss covering large portions. The skeletons you encounter would be your average angry bones and the likes, with one difference, they wear armor color-coded after the color of the Dungeon, everything else, loot included is the same. You get the feeling judging from the atmosphere that this dark place is very old, and mostly abandoned save the few brotherhood-skeletons encountered.

When reaching the bottom however you notice something out of the ordinary, a corridor ending with a locked door. The walls surrounding this room are extremely thick and of a more polished and hardened dungeonbrick than the rest, impervious to all tools. This room upon further inspection is enourmous, about a fourth the size of The Lihzard! Surely you're meant to come back at a later time...

rcg15qA.png

A point of reference for the locked chamber.

0cHjutS.png

Upon initiating Hardmode

When releasing the Spirits of Light and dark something inside the Dungeons inner chamber, the one you failed to reach before, awakens. It becomes obvious that the Brotherhood, former inhabitants of The Dungeon were merely slumbering inside their chamber. Now they have been alerted of your prior presence and repopulated the hallways with far nastier traps and cleaned every trace of your ealier visit. The have also taken the time to upgrade the walls to their former glory, every surface is now made of that impervious brick-type earlier found surrounding the Inner Chamber!

The Dungeon will still only be populated with regular easymode monsters, up to the same point as before, but trying to enter the dungeon before Plantera will be next to impossible due to the traps being far above what you could handle at that point.

More information regarding these traps as I with your help envision them. Feel free to post ideas.

0cHjutS.png

Post Plantera - Second Visit

After Defeating Plantera, and The Screams Echoes from the Dungeon, you know that the real ranks of the Brotherhood have finally stepped out of the Chamber and you now feel ready for a new raid on The Dungeon.

This second raid is similar to the original second raid, but the skeletons are once again re-textured to better match their surroundings, other than appearance little has changed for this visit as well. But the Paladin now has a new drop,
and unlike other drops this one is 50%, the Chamber Key.

gppZpsr.png

-When reaching the bottom you decide to use it, and open the Chamber that has eluded you for so long. What you see when you go through the doorway is as expected an absolutely humongous hall. pitchblack and ominous. You decide to explore it, but find nothing! You can see a slightly raised section of the floor near the center, but other than that nothing. You decide to leave with the spoils from the raid and press onwards.

Some taste-tests on how the skeletons for a Contagion world Dungeon could look:
AAgrxwc.png
tbyh4us.png
FXjua90.png

-Since the armor of Blue skeletons are based on ancient Cobalt, I tried to make a mock-ancient Mythril.

These are some examples of how they would look in a Crimson world:
6G8hyyr.png
Q3sVkFG.png
vDGR2Ot.png

0cHjutS.png

Post Fishron/Frostmoon - The Third Visit

When putting your newfound gear to use, and finally defeat Duke Fishron (here I need feedback, Golem or Fishron?), a new message is displayed: ”You feel something calling your name from within the Dungeon”. With this message you immediately think of the Chamber you previously unlocked, and decide to head there after making suitable preparations (frost and pumpkin moon recommended to do before).

When reaching the Chamber something is different. On the center altar now lies a lifeless skeleton, missing its head. Using the Picksaw you break it. As it crumbles a message appears:

”Necronomitron has awoken!”

This is the final destination of The Dungeon, a boss much harder than anything you’ve ever fought before.

In front of you floats the shadow of a skull, with a glaring pair of yellow eyes, invulnerable to your every attack.

lu5eaOl.png

The boss consist of two phases, upon taking down the first phase it goes to the second, the only phase you actually hurt the boss itself. -But if you take too long in the second phase it will revert back to the first again.
Phase 1

The first phase is decided by what type of playthrough you’re playing, with one unique phase for each of the three evils. It is essentially one third and final form of the original 3 evil-bosses, but with new gimmicks added to their arsenal.​

When summoned, Necronomitron will summon two long trains of Sanctum Keepers holding onto each other with their teeth, in front of each train is his own hands. these segments similarly to EoW, can be separated from each other to form more, smaller trains, each with their own hand in the lead. Avoiding as much as possible is advised, because this boss will hurt a lot upon contact, especially if you touch the hands in the front of each train. When all segments and hands are gone, the phase ends. The eyes in his palms shoot lasers every now and then.

66PbUwz.png
RtQNRfk.png

Stats

Skulls:?
Segment:?

In this phase, Necronomitron will smash his hands together, forming a shape similar to BoC, and summon a swarm of Sanctum Keepers. The AI will be the same as BoC, but the heads can not be destroyed, instead you must outmaneuver them in order to reach the hands and deliver actual damage to the phase. The eye in the middle shoots spontaneous lasers.

9nzb1yw.png
RtQNRfk.png

Stats

Skulls:?
Hands:?

When summoning Necronomitron in a Contagion-playthrough, he will form a butterfly with his hands, and spinning Sanctum Keepers will start to rain down from the ceiling with a fair bit of space in between until the phase ends. The eyes in his palms shoot lasers with a regular interval.

RmY4yfz.png
RtQNRfk.png

Stats

Butterfly:?
Sanctum Keeper:?

The stats replaced with "?" are simply not finished yet. Personally I think such matters are for the devs to decide, since they in the end know best what is suitable, but if you guys wish to help me, feel free to post appropriate stats wich you think would work. Keep in mind that this boss should be very challenging, even with frost moon and fishron gear. I'm thinking high defense, medium HP on each phase, but insane ATK, to keep the player on their feet. I am NOT however looking for an "Even spammier Frostmoon", because that fight just became a battle against the projectiles' RNG.

Phase 2

When the first phase is down the invulnerable silhouette earlier seen in the background, which so far has only been floating around above the middle of the fight, now emerges. It is the giant skull of a Demilich! as it appears it gives out a shriek and it starts cracking, then its cranium bursts to form a third eye in its forehead. The phase starts as he summons a defensive rotating circle of 16 Sanctum Keepers around him, and opens his mouth, as seen in the second sprite. During this phase he actually takes damage, but to land a solid blow you must first remove the protecting SKs. The first round will be next to impossible to beat him in time, so after depleting about 2/3s of his health he will revert to phase 1 again, hiding his face in the shadows once more.
7WtAQGt.png
5L9SWUp.png

RtQNRfk.png

The Sanctum Keepers are statwise inferior to Dungeon Guardians, they share the same HP, but less defense, I can only presume that age has worn them; no one knows how many centuries has passed since last time the door to the Inner Sanctum opened after all.

0cHjutS.png

After Defeating Necronomitron

Defeating this boss will of course yield lots of loot, as well as opening up for the Lunar. The loot I have yet to make, and is up for suggestions. It should however not include a way to tamper with the walls, seeing as that could break all possibilities of re-summoning.

This boss will also have a summoning-item, which I also have yet to make, it would have to be used in the Chamber, anywhere else would fail the summon.

There is still a lot to add, a lot of missing sprites for example. I will add as I have the time to make them, in the meantime your suggestions would be much appreciated.

0cHjutS.png

Thanks for reading!

Feedback is much appreciated, so make sure to give your thoughts in the comment-section below.

Last edited:
This looks awesome! And may fir pretty well in game!
In my opinion he should be available after Golem, because Duke Fishron is like the hardmode version of the king slime, you don'thave to kill him to progress neither do you need to follow a specific order of bosses to fight him.

About the boss, why dungeon guardians? This might be too hard considering they instagib the player and take 1 damage.
Instead I recommend that giant ghosts skull will fly around the boss, and remove the instagib effect from the dungeon guardians.

This looks awesome! And may fir pretty well in game!
In my opinion he should be available after Golem, because Duke Fishron is like the hardmode version of the king slime, you don'thave to kill him to progress neither do you need to follow a specific order of bosses to fight him.

About the boss, why dungeon guardians? This might be too hard considering they instagib the player and take 1 damage.
Instead I recommend that giant ghosts skull will fly around the boss, and remove the instagib effect from the dungeon guardians.
OK. Thanks a lot for pointing that out, those should of course not be ACTUAL dungeon guardians, and yes, the original thought was to make him available directly after Golem, but that would lure many unknowing players into a more than certain deathtrap. Requiring all or most late-game criteria is the only way to prevent that.

OK. Thanks a lot for pointing that out, those should of course not be ACTUAL dungeon guardians, and yes, the original thought was to make him available directly after Golem, but that would lure many unknowing players into a more than certain deathtrap. Requiring all or most late-game criteria is the only way to prevent that.
If you want to make it 100% endgame it should be post frost moon.
So what if the player will die? You can always respawn, and hardcore players should know what they are doing.

This is very well thought out but I do have a few bones to pick with it if you'll excuse the pun ;)
1: The dungeon guardians? Are they the maxed out ones or slightly weaker ones?
2: Not being able to destroy the impenetrable bricks at some point of the game just won't work that much at all, it just won't because at the very end of the game, the player should have the power over just about everything, every boss, every enemy, every event and obviously, every brick...
3: I also don't like the idea of the first phases being separated from each other like that, it should all be with the one boss regardless of the world you're playing on. Not only would the first phase be tedious but the corruption counterpart looks too easy to beat and the crimson one looks hard as hell! It needs rebalancing if anything.
4: What is this brotherhood? Should it be given a sub-story?
And finally, 5: Necronomitron is a very good name but it sounds too similar to Skeletron because of the 'tron' at the end... I think a new name should be thought up. Try looking up the meanings of death in names, that could help a lot but may not be Terraria suited, this is a tricky one...

This is very well thought out but I do have a few bones to pick with it if you'll excuse the pun ;)
1: The dungeon guardians? Are they the maxed out ones or slightly weaker ones?
2: Not being able to destroy the impenetrable bricks at some point of the game just won't work that much at all, it just won't because at the very end of the game, the player should have the power over just about everything, every boss, every enemy, every event and obviously, every brick...
3: I also don't like the idea of the first phases being separated from each other like that, it should all be with the one boss regardless of the world you're playing on. Not only would the first phase be tedious but the corruption counterpart looks too easy to beat and the crimson one looks hard as hell! It needs rebalancing if anything.
4: What is this brotherhood? Should it be given a sub-story?
And finally, 5: Necronomitron is a very good name but it sounds too similar to Skeletron because of the 'tron' at the end... I think a new name should be thought up. Try looking up the meanings of death in names, that could help a lot but may not be Terraria suited, this is a tricky one...
Thank you for your reply!
1: I edited in this as you typed your message, look again for details.
2: I disagree, I see no real need to be able to break exactly everything. Because that would A: turn this into a Lihzard rip-off, and B: Give the player the possibility to ruin the only valid summoning area for Necronomitron.
3: But that is kind of the whole point with the phases. these are 3 different dungeons with 3 different evils/contra evils, all culminating into this fight, where you face off against one final ghost-image of the earlier incarnations. removing phase 1 would make for a pretty boring boss, while including all would make for an incredibly longwinded and boring bossfight. And the difficulty is always dependent on the stats provided, the fact that the Corruption phase breaks up into millions of smaller high-damaging objects flying around at the speed of fast can be just as difficult as one concentrated swarm, just outmaneuver them or get behind the swarm and you're good!
4: Forgive my vagueness, that's what me and my friends came to call the inhabitants of the Dungeon ever since we found the "brotherhood banner" in there. We theorize that the whole thing was an ancient cult that ended up in disaster, with every member cursed with eternal life.
5: Perhaps you missed the reference? The name Necronomitron is derived from a book/large collection of novels on Cthulhu mythos, The Necronomicon, written by H.P Lovecraft, the man who invented the entirety of the Cthulhu mythos universe in the first place.

- And adding -tron at the end seems almost obligatory, it is at this point already a trend with skeletal boss incarcations so why not continue it?

Get rid of the dungeon guardians, that makes this battle too hard. Practically impossible. It will take several days to complete this boss. I like how you changed the arm position depending on biome, though. however the connection between hand-shape and biome doesn't show... I don't understand how grabbing the walls=corruption, cupping hands=crimson, and making butterfly=contagion (yes, I have seen your thread.)

Get rid of the dungeon guardians, that makes this battle too hard. Practically impossible. It will take several days to complete this boss. I like how you changed the arm position depending on biome, though. however the connection between hand-shape and biome doesn't show... I don't understand how grabbing the walls=corruption, cupping hands=crimson, and making butterfly=contagion (yes, I have seen your thread.)
Well, obviously I'm doing something wrong, because you guys still point out that actual DG's would be over powered, but I have already said that they aren't REAL dungeon guardians. XD

Well, I think it's apparent enough, Corruption's phase is essentially two giant EoW's, Crimson's phase is hands shaping a like a brain and surrounded by mobs similar to BoC's minions, and Contagion's one is almost too obvious?

Well, obviously I'm doing something wrong, because you guys still point out that actual DG's would be over powered, but I have already said that they aren't REAL dungeon guardians. XD

Well, I think it's apparent enough, Corruption's phase is essentially two giant EoW's, Crimson's phase is hands shaping a like a brain and surrounded by mobs similar to BoC's minions, and Contagion's one is almost too obvious?
Oh, so your making his hands appear as the pre-hardmode bosses for those biomes? That is clever thinking I coulnd't do.
Also, please put stats for your DGs if they aren't actual DGs.
000New_Approved!.png

Oh, so your making his hands appear as the pre-hardmode bosses for those biomes? That is clever thinking I coulnd't do.
Also, please put stats for your DGs if they aren't actual DGs.
View attachment 951
Why, thanks! Also, regarding stats in general, like I said I don't usually do stats on my suggestions rather than describe the result they should achieve, actual stats requires testing to even tell if they work or not. Not to mention it is ultimately up to the devs to figure out what would be suitable or not. :dryadgrin:

That said though, if anyone good with estimated stats would be willing to help me figure something out, I will of course be more than happy to add those as placeholders.

I really love this idea! I've always been a fan of the Corrosion, and this is great as well! I think Terraria needs a Tobbvalds Tinkering mod, personally. ;)

Edit: Oh, it's the Contagion now. That confused me!

Last edited:
This is amazing, and what if you could only summon the lunar boss after defeating the contagion
Not sure if I follow you. The Contagion, which by the way this is not the thread for, is of the same tier as Crimson and Corruption.

So assuming you mean Necronomitron, then yeah sure, that's most likely how things would go if it was to be implemented.

Thank you for your reply!
1: I edited in this as you typed your message, look again for details.
2: I disagree, I see no real need to be able to break exactly everything. Because that would A: turn this into a Lihzard rip-off, and B: Give the player the possibility to ruin the only valid summoning area for Necronomitron.
3: But that is kind of the whole point with the phases. these are 3 different dungeons with 3 different evils/contra evils, all culminating into this fight, where you face off against one final ghost-image of the earlier incarnations. removing phase 1 would make for a pretty boring boss, while including all would make for an incredibly longwinded and boring bossfight. And the difficulty is always dependent on the stats provided, the fact that the Corruption phase breaks up into millions of smaller high-damaging objects flying around at the speed of fast can be just as difficult as one concentrated swarm, just outmaneuver them or get behind the swarm and you're good!
4: Forgive my vagueness, that's what me and my friends came to call the inhabitants of the Dungeon ever since we found the "brotherhood banner" in there. We theorize that the whole thing was an ancient cult that ended up in disaster, with every member cursed with eternal life.
5: Perhaps you missed the reference? The name Necronomitron is derived from a book/large collection of novels on Cthulhu mythos, The Necronomicon, written by H.P Lovecraft, the man who invented the entirety of the Cthulhu mythos universe in the first place.

- And adding -tron at the end seems almost obligatory, it is at this point already a trend with skeletal boss incarcations so why not continue it?
I see what you mean, you had this very well thought out :D I'm still not keen on the idea of the bosses first phase...

Back
Top Bottom