Weapons & Equip [Tobbvald's Tinkering] Sword Rebalancing (Bloodbath and more)

Tovlyn

Skeletron Prime
Introduction

Something that struck me as fairly odd even early on with this new glorious update of 1.2 was that the "Enhanced" evil weapon, The Night's edge, remained unaltered when crafted with The BloodButcherer rather than the Light's bane, even though neither aesthetic approach and design nor crafting recipe could justify keeping it the same crafting-result.

0cHjutS.png

Summary For lazy People

-Each evil has one "combination sword" each

-Adjusted stats to be similar to the low-tier sword

-Motivation to use whichever suits you best instead of raw stats progression

0cHjutS.png

Bloodbath / Wrath of The Gods

The first issue on my agenda is to introduce my own take on what should really emerge from the crimson-altar when forging grass, fire, water and blood to one.

I bring you Bloodbath:
q0P1Q1u.png

And this is the true version:
5HWSRHj.png

As of now this is merely a sprite-suggestion, the sword itself will be referred to as Wrath of The Gods.

-And this is its sprites:
iByTzHx.png
index.php

Thanks to @SzGamer227 for the mashup of my sprite and Zoomo's. It's looking better than ever now!

0cHjutS.png

Unique Combinationsword Abilities

By doing this reveal we are also introduced to the second point of today's suggestion; "what for? -Why do we need another sword? Wouldn't it just be dead-weight?" And that is where you would be mistaken.

I suggest that each "Enhanced" weapon, or "biome-reflecting-weapon" is granted their own traits, traits carried over to their true form:
True_Night%27s_Edge.png
-Night's edge would become one of the fastest, but without an auto-swing it becomes more dependent on the player's own ability.

True: Its spinning green beam will inflict Cursed Flames upon contact.

index.php
-Wrath of The Gods, much like the BloodButcherer, will feature heavier, slower damage at a larger range, since it's larger than any of the other ones.

-True: it shoots out a slow yellow beam that only travels a about half the screen away from the sword, inflicting the Ichor debuff upon contact. This weapon would be very close-range focused even in True-form, but as a trade off would be even more powerful within its own reach. Alternatively it could be more lenient to Zoomo's take on stats, whichever devs and community feels most suitable. But I can not stress enough that the beam should be yellow and inflict Ichor for continuity's sake.

j4OsIk5.png
-Brink of Deformity (See Contagion), features moderate damage, moderate range and very slow cooldown between hits, but can be doubleclicked to allow two shortly followed semi-strong attacks or a slower continuous swinging if timed correctly.

True: It would fire an erratic purple beam that goes in the direction you pointed it at, but zig-zaging off from the center randomly, not enough to make it useless, but enough to allow lucky hits outside of the area you aimed at. Successful hits with its beam inflicts Miasma debuff.​
True_Excalibur.png
-Excalibur would feature somewhat lower damage, but in return have an auto-swing.

True: On a successful hit with the sword's pink beam the enemy struck will shoot out Crystalstorm-shards in random directions.

index.php
-Expurgatory (Cyber) stats are described over at the Cyber-thread (Zoomo), but as I wish for nothing more than it to be cannon I will pan out this suggestion as if it was canonical. But rough description is that it spawns small stationary cyphers that deal additional damage after a successful hit.

-True: Shoots an accelerating blue beam that leaves a trail of weak cyphers.

BarfyQe.png
-Gram makes extremely quick slices with relatively long reload time between strikes. High damage to balance it off. A high-precision melee-weapon with high knockback.

-True: Shoots a very fast orange beam on each strike, meaning higher gap between, and easy to miss unless timed correctly. With each swing the blade itself will shoot out lots of small amber-shards forward in random directions, helping to shield the player from the moments of vulnerability between swings.

Note that I base these traits on how the swords' lower tiered counterparts act. the Light's bane is faster than the BloodButcherer, but weaker for example.

Their true counterpart's beams, effects and colors are based on the special material of each biome, giving the dark biome swords debuffs and light ones more offensive abilities. This also corresponds to the color with which sections of the blades are "imbued" with when they become true.

0cHjutS.png

Thanks For Reading!

-And that is all. Please provide me with feedback should there have been something you liked/disliked, since it can not be improved or altered (Or noticed and potentially implemented) without your input. I left stats more precise than the conceptual level out deliberately, since I believe that is up to the devs to decide what would be appropriate and balanced for the game.​

Last edited:
Yes, its beautiful and properly though out.
But will the Terrablade also have some stats changes depending on the weapons used to forge it?
Also, since there is another sword, will you be able to make the Terrablade from a Nights Edge and a Bloodbath?

if not then how abouy this:
You will need to combine all the 3 biome swords into the Terrablade.
Yes it promotes grinding, but that would make the Terrablade even stronger don't you think?

Though I highly appreciate the enthusiasm you're kinda doing the spamposting thing we've been asked to not do! :p
Nah, I just spend a lot of time looking at new posts:p
I'm serious, I was actually referring to the thread being about combo weapons

Yes, its beautiful and properly though out.
But will the Terrablade also have some stats changes depending on the weapons used to forge it?
Also, since there is another sword, will you be able to make the Terrablade from a Nights Edge and a Bloodbath?

if not then how abouy this:
You will need to combine all the 3 biome swords into the Terrablade.
Yes it promotes grinding, but that would make the Terrablade even stronger don't you think?
You just activated my trapcard! >;D

No but really, I will hold off on answering specifically what I have in mind since it is kind of the climax that almost every single thread alludes to, and we're getting nearer and nearer the point where I will make the thread for it.

No but really, I will hold off on answering specifically what I have in mind since it is kind of the climax that almost every single thread alludes to, and we're getting nearer and nearer the point where I will make the thread for it.
Cant wait for it then!

Great, if small, idea. But may I suggest a name change to something like "Blood's Martyr"? I think it would be a nice parallel to the Night's Edge.

You have some great suggestions but, I'm confused on how the Brink of Deformity would work. How exactly would you swing the stacked swords to "allow either two shortly followed semi-strong attacks or a slower continuous swinging." like button input wise. Also your description of the item is a bit different on the Corrosion/Contagion page, as it trades dual wielding for double clicking. Is it auto swing like Excalibur and the like, but functions differently when rapidly clicked like a more standard sword?

You have some great suggestions but, I'm confused on how the Brink of Deformity would work. How exactly would you swing the stacked swords to "allow either two shortly followed semi-strong attacks or a slower continuous swinging." like button input wise. Also your description of the item is a bit different on the Corrosion/Contagion page, as it trades dual wielding for double clicking. Is it auto swing like Excalibur and the like, but functions differently when rapidly clicked like a more standard sword?
Thanks for pointing that out, I have since then revised the function of that sword, but over at the sword's native biome, The Contagion. It should instead be slightly more expensive, feature the same stats, but instead of stacking you just doubleclick.

Greetings. I have now made the long awaited major rework of this thread, including not only Gram and the true-forms special abilities but also a guest-appearance of Zoomo's Cyber into the mix. These 6 swords of 3 playthroughs are all different, and will both be more balanced between each others and add much needed variety to the mix of true swords. Be sure to check it out and give feedback.

I have an idea for an epic sword but it requires multi-world farming to get it it's called the "terror blade" and is a combination of the 3 true evil swords but there's a suggestion for that.

This would actually give a use for the huge stack of broken hero swords I have. Soothing tells me there will be some terablade equivalents/variants coming soon
honestly I hope for at least one normal Terra blade variant if you rework that... (or at least no change on its basic functionality...)

also are you aware that Excalibur already has auto swing? (the true version doesn't but fires about as fast as you can click)
And have you and Zoomo figured out what to do about your conflicting Crimson swords?

This would actually give a use for the huge stack of broken hero swords I have. Soothing tells me there will be some terablade equivalents/variants coming soon
honestly I hope for at least one normal Terra blade variant if you rework that... (or at least no change on its basic functionality...)

also are you aware that Excalibur already has auto swing? (the true version doesn't but fires about as fast as you can click)
And have you and Zoomo figured out what to do about your conflicting Crimson swords?
Heh HEH Heh

-And yes. Excalibur will simply keep that feature, I just felt that it needed mentioning since it will be one of its core attributes, and it will in this version carry over to true, in exchange for similar stat-repropotions as the rest.

-And as of now I will refer to the Crimson sword as Wrath of The Gods. Though neither of us are quite satisfied with the sprites we have made for it I will use my own until one of us figure out something better. proportionwise they were already almost the same, but they may end up even closer one way or the other, as long as SOMETHING is changed with the current system I'm satisfied.

Now my original comment sounds completely off-topic :p

Love the re-work of the thread and seeing you and Zoomo cooperating. The kings of Alts!

I have made a rework of the sprite for Wrath of Gods, I'm awaiting Zoomo's consent. What makes this sprite a smarter choice is the fact that it follows the sprite-principles of both B-o-D and Night's Edge, borrowing it's palette from the biome-based armor. I feel that it also fits the theme better.

Back
Top Bottom