Biomes & Nature [Tobbvald's Tinkering] The Covert (Anti-Contagion)

I have an idea for the covert armor, armour?
Ok, so i sorta feel like hallowed and cyber armor are well... boring like they boast good stats among other things but they lack any particularly interesting abilities IE Chlorophyte, or the alt HM ore armors. So i propose a different set bonus ability for each class.
Also I think all the covert armor sets should boast higher defense than their counterparts at a hit to their more offensive stats.

Melee Set
Upon being struck 50% To knock the attacker back and chain them. Chained enemies would be locked in place in relation to you so they,d essentially be stuck in melee distance (or perhaps just slowed a significant amount) and would have the On Fire! and/or the Cursed Inferno debuff inflicted on them. The chains would disappear after 3(?) seconds or until the enemies death, and up to 5 enemies can be chained. A sort of grappling hook thing would extending to chained enemies resembling the Searing Clinker.

Magic set
After not being struck for 3 seconds you spawn an orbiting rune similar ,to The Horn Of War (or alternatively a leaf, to resemble the Autumn Gale), every 1(1.5?) second up to 10(5?). When these runes come into contact with an enemy the would do a small amount of damage, but they would send them flying by inflicting a massive amount of knock back and disappear.

Ranged set
Every time you are struck you have a 30%(?) to dodge and avoid all damage, when dodging it would produce cloud of the leave particle effect, grant you a movement speed buff and inflict the Onfire! and/or Cursed Inferno debuff on the enemy that would have hit you.

If you noticed i sort of based the abilities on the class weapons, but since the covert repeater does well, nothing I just wrote what i thought would be appropriate regardless.
Hmm maybe this should be a suggestion post instead of a comment....
No I think it's fine as either a post or a suggestion, as it helps me getting an idea of what an armor-set for this biome could actually do. Though I currently have all my attention centered elsewhere for the time being, I will over time add things like these to all previous parts, I just need enough creative material and ideas to work with for a while before being able to do so.

Regardless those are some interesting concepts for armor; but they may perhaps be a bit too different from one another to really feel good as one single tier. -Maybe I'll use some of it as I liked GamerChiqs ideas as well. -Or I'll suddenly get a burst of inspiration and come up with something completely different, time will tell.

The Contagion is amazing, and then you pull this which is also amazing. Wish I could do stuff this interesting.

Now, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but I see there's a lack of Covert Tools in there.

To something else now-- I feel that some of the equipment needs more.. What is it, Amber? I'm primarily talking about the armor. Maybe a few sockets here and there. It's kind of hard to pick out the details with the gritty theme. (Which I still really like this grittiness-- It adds a new flavor!)

The Contagion is amazing, and then you pull this which is also amazing. Wish I could do stuff this interesting.

Now, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but I see there's a lack of Covert Tools in there.

To something else now-- I feel that some of the equipment needs more.. What is it, Amber? I'm primarily talking about the armor. Maybe a few sockets here and there. It's kind of hard to pick out the details with the gritty theme. (Which I still really like this grittiness-- It adds a new flavor!)
I'll think of tools when I have an idea for what they would be, same goes for Contagion. As for the armor, the gritty feeling is indeed my intent, it makes it stand out more against the rest, and since Hallow doesn't have Crystal-shards embedded in it I feel no need to go out of my way and against the set conditions just to add it. I think it's better off without it to be honest. -Embedded biome-ingredient is more of a true-sword thing anyways.

A biome that features my native mythology? I love it already!
Seriously though, you must be some kind of genius, all these ideas are brilliant, I love your imagination, haha!
I love the description of the scenery so much, I've been longing for autumn themed things in Terraria, and this is just the stuff! I like almost everything about this idea, like the fact that you included Mjølnir, and horns instead of harps, oh man, this is so great. Not to mention I love anything ghostly, and it has that too! I have a long list of compliments that I could type out in an essay-long message, but actually I think I'll settle with this:
You're awesome, consider me a fan!

This is pretty sweet, I've always been interested in Norse mythology and thought there should be more alts to the two biomes. What about the Covert alt to the light mummy?

Well done. Not quite as thorough as the Cyber, but extremely impressive nonetheless.
Well, the Cyber was complete since conception, I'm trying to expand mine as I find ideas and discuss them with you guys. His thread also debates the rest of the lacing items, things I will get to eventually as well.

Glad you like it though! I don't recall if I've seen you there, but if you haven't seen it be sure to check out the Contagion as well, as one motivates the other.

Well done. Not quite as thorough as the Cyber, but extremely impressive nonetheless.
For more suggestions that are not quite as thorough as the Cyber, see: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/player-suggestions.13/

It's a unique trinity of evil, for sure, and I like the color contrast it provides. I always associated the Corruption with parasitism and the Crimson with cancer, and the Contagion can of course be bacterial plague.

On another note, something about the Contagion vs. the Covert reminds me of the plot line of Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind.

It's a unique trinity of evil, for sure, and I like the color contrast it provides. I always associated the Corruption with parasitism and the Crimson with cancer, and the Contagion can of course be bacterial plague.

On another note, something about the Contagion vs. the Covert reminds me of the plot line of Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind.
Admittedly, a lot of inspiration was drawn from that movie. Behemoth itself is of course an obvious reference to the Ohmu, but the spores they spread has become one of the biome's fundaments; The idea that these insects/parasites live in harmony with this plague, be it zombieism or just toxic spores. The solution, ironically for all cases involved, is killing it with fire, which is exactly what the rebirth, the autumn of The Covert, represents.

Last edited:
Another really good thread. This time I might have a few more nitpicks, though. It's all with naming, however, so feel free to ignore most of it, as it is pretty trivial.
  1. I'm not sure where the name "Covert" is coming from, here. I mean, it sort of fits, but I think most people would associate the word more with spies and military action. Personally, I would try using a word that plays up the life aspect, like "Eternal" or "Elder", or something with more of a mystical connotation, like "Taboo" or "Arcane" - the former meaning literally something both sacred and forbidden, and the latter meaning something secret, but having a more modern definition of something magical. Calling it "Fey/Sylvan" might be another option.
  2. It's a little unfortunate that the spear has a generic name. It made sense for the Cyber's spear, since the Cyber represents the future, and the cold, emotionless logic of machines. This suggestion is positively brimming with mythology, though. So, here are some thoughts.
    1. King Arthur's spear was named Rhongomyniad. Since the Hallow got Gungnir, maybe take that as an Excalibur-parallel. Or, alternately, give the Hallow Arthur's spear, and take Gungnir back.
    2. Since Rhongomyniad doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, another spear from Christian legend is the "Spear of Destiny", also known as the Lance of Longinus. Longinus might make a more pronounceable and recognizable alternative to Rhongomyniad, with the same options.
    3. There are a lot of parallels between this Norse-inspired biome, and European fairy lore. Enough that throwing in Gáe Bolg, for example, wouldn't be out of the question. In fact, Gáe Bolg would be singularly appropriate for how your spear is supposed to function, given some of the descriptions of it - "It entered a man's body with a single wound, like a javelin, then opened into thirty barbs." or the description of it being used on someone and "coursing through the highways and byways of his body so that every single joint filled with barbs."
  3. On the subject of spears, it feels odd for two floating weapons to be "Enchanted" when everything else has different names. My thoughts on this are that either the Hallow's sword should be renamed to "Blessed" or "Sacred" and leave the "Enchanted" title to this biome, or that if "Enchanted Sword" has to be grandfathered in, the spear enemy can be the holy one.
  4. While the Ash tree has a place in Norse mythology, some people think it comes from a mistranslation. In either case, though, I think that it would fit the theme of life and rebirth a bit more name-wise to use Elder Trees, and possibly Elder Roots as well. Not only is the name fitting, but Elder has some strong mystical associations, both as a ward against evil, and as something sacred to practitioners of magic and spirits of nature. Also, elderberries are said to have medicinal properties, which contrasts against the disease aspect of the Contaigon.

I personally would suggest the Eldritch, or possibly the Heartwood, for the biomes name. Also, since all the evils are Cs, why aren't all the lights Hs?

I personally would suggest the Eldritch, or possibly the Heartwood, for the biomes name. Also, since all the evils are Cs, why aren't all the lights Hs?
Those are some good names, and also a pretty good point. What H-name would go for the Cyber, though? I'd say "High-Tech", but that just seems forced.

Another really good thread. This time I might have a few more nitpicks, though. It's all with naming, however, so feel free to ignore most of it, as it is pretty trivial.
  1. I'm not sure where the name "Covert" is coming from, here. I mean, it sort of fits, but I think most people would associate the word more with spies and military action. Personally, I would try using a word that plays up the life aspect, like "Eternal" or "Elder", or something with more of a mystical connotation, like "Taboo" or "Arcane" - the former meaning literally something both sacred and forbidden, and the latter meaning something secret, but having a more modern definition of something magical. Calling it "Fey/Sylvan" might be another option.
  2. It's a little unfortunate that the spear has a generic name. It made sense for the Cyber's spear, since the Cyber represents the future, and the cold, emotionless logic of machines. This suggestion is positively brimming with mythology, though. So, here are some thoughts.
    1. King Arthur's spear was named Rhongomyniad. Since the Hallow got Gungnir, maybe take that as an Excalibur-parallel. Or, alternately, give the Hallow Arthur's spear, and take Gungnir back.
    2. Since Rhongomyniad doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, another spear from Christian legend is the "Spear of Destiny", also known as the Lance of Longinus. Longinus might make a more pronounceable and recognizable alternative to Rhongomyniad, with the same options.
    3. There are a lot of parallels between this Norse-inspired biome, and European fairy lore. Enough that throwing in Gáe Bolg, for example, wouldn't be out of the question. In fact, Gáe Bolg would be singularly appropriate for how your spear is supposed to function, given some of the descriptions of it - "It entered a man's body with a single wound, like a javelin, then opened into thirty barbs." or the description of it being used on someone and "coursing through the highways and byways of his body so that every single joint filled with barbs."
  3. On the subject of spears, it feels odd for two floating weapons to be "Enchanted" when everything else has different names. My thoughts on this are that either the Hallow's sword should be renamed to "Blessed" or "Sacred" and leave the "Enchanted" title to this biome, or that if "Enchanted Sword" has to be grandfathered in, the spear enemy can be the holy one.
  4. While the Ash tree has a place in Norse mythology, some people think it comes from a mistranslation. In either case, though, I think that it would fit the theme of life and rebirth a bit more name-wise to use Elder Trees, and possibly Elder Roots as well. Not only is the name fitting, but Elder has some strong mystical associations, both as a ward against evil, and as something sacred to practitioners of magic and spirits of nature. Also, elderberries are said to have medicinal properties, which contrasts against the disease aspect of the Contaigon.
Thanks for clearing that up. Since English is not my native language I'm always having minor difficulty finding appropriate equivalents for names.

1. I'm using it in the sense of the biome being exclusive, a silent hope kept safe from everyone and everything. You association is not unmotivated, as many have done that before you, but keep in mind that the word probably wasn't invented for use in that particular area. Personally I feel that The Covert has a lot of mystical value, but I guess that depends entirely on previous experiences with the word. I do however agree that a better name wouldn't hurt, but there are just SO MANY factors that needs to be heard; Phoenix-like rebirth, flame, autumn, exclusion, hope, forest, the list makes the name really hard to work with. And personally I would prefer something related to either its rebirth or its seclusion.

2. Though renaming Gungnir is out of the question (that's messing with OLD content), I do like the idea of Gáe Bolg.

3. I don't really mind, but I think all 3 should just be called Enchanted for consistency's, and simplicity's sake.

4. Changing the Ash tree is out of the question, it is literally the best fit possible. Given the theme of Phoenix and rebirth, a biome with autumn-ashes is about as accurate as one can get, especially given the enormous mystical values is has in Norse mythology. It's the most magical tree possible, and its name and color both fits perfectly, if people are confused then they need to go read a book or something. :dryadtongue:
I just feel that the names you have provided as examples don't really live up to the needs, most feel too uncharacteristic, too little connection with the biome itself, though that doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility of there being better names.

I do appreciate your help though, and that goes for all of you! If you guys could help me come up with a name for this biome, one that fits the themes of Rebirth through Flame/Remedy, Autumn/Forest, and Seclusion/Sanctuary, then I would be ever so grateful. (A word beginning with the letter "H" Wouldn't hurt either).

Tough order, as far as naming goes. With calling it the Covert...well, that word can mean a shelter, particularly of a forest variety, but I can think of no time when I've actually heard of seen it used that way. It's more strongly associated, culturally, with hiding actions than things.

For what you're talking about though, I have trouble coming up with words. Hearth is both a place where a fire is made, and a home, but doesn't have strong association with life or renewal. A better fit, if I ignore J-50N's H rule, might be Enkindling, as that word can mean both to literally start a fire, and to make something lively or begin something. That doesn't include the theme of Seclusion/Sanctuary though, and neither of those really has anything to do with the Autumn/Forest theme. It would be easy to just say you're trying to convey too much with a single word, but I feel I can do better. In fact, I think I may be able to satisfy the terms, though a slight bit of a stretch, with this.

The Sanctum

A sanctum is, by its first definition a sacred or holy place. It's second definition is that of a private place, forbidden from trespass or violation. In addition to that, it shares roots with the word "sanctified" - it would not be a stretch to define a sanctum as a place that is sanctified - and one of the concepts associated with sanctification is that of purification through fire. Finally, while a sanctum isn't specifically connected with nature, one of it's more common usages is in various forms of "wildlife sanctum", so the cultural associations are fitting as well.

Edit: As an aside, if sticking with the Ash Trees, I would at least suggest renaming the ground blocks Ash/Ashen Root.

Last edited:
dude like i sayed at the ccorrosion i needs know how the covert as created:
Hallowed:Like the name its a holy make by a god.
Crimson:The blood of Cthulhu.
Corruption:Shadow orbs fall from the sky.
Corrosion:Cthulhu crated worms that have eroded orbs in it.
Covert:The holy is distabilised and the world don,t its more a fairy tail.

dude like i sayed at the ccorrosion i needs know how the covert as created:
Hallowed:Like the name its a holy make by a god.
Crimson:The blood of Cthulhu.
Corruption:Shadow orbs fall from the sky.
Corrosion:Cthulhu crated worms that have eroded orbs in it.
Covert:The holy is distabilised and the world don,t its more a fairy tail.
Bud, it's Contagion now :p

I just realized; what are the bullets and arrows of the Covert?
EDIT: The reason I say this is because the Hallow's ammunition has unique effects, not just something inflicting a certain debuff, like the Evils. If you have already mentioned this somewhere in the comments, I apologize.

Back
Top Bottom