Biomes & Nature [Tobbvald's Tinkering] The Covert (Anti-Contagion)

I agree that the developers' resolution for the game isn't to make everything follow the same unchanging template, but saying that the cyber doesn't fit Terraria for that reason is just untrue, we have invasions which all include advanced unorganic technology, like seriously there is a plant that drops a modern gun, I don't think it's fair rejecting the cyber for that reason.

The cyber is an entire biome made out of machinery, it just doesn't go with the Hallow. An alternative biome should share a link or theme with the original while still being unique. The crimson did it perfectly. The Covert honestly would too, and so would the Glade.

The cyber doesn't share any resemblance to the Hallow, at all. Making it directly to be the counterpart for the crimson and to only spawn in crimson worlds is not very terraria like. Considering the fact that when the devs added the crimson they still let the hallow spawn in those worlds, we already know they won't go down that path.

My argument for the natural organic theme major applies to biome, but small to other things, as biomes are vastly more significant and that is why we want more alternatives.

I would kill for a hallow alternative. I would also be fine with another world evil. However, ultimately, the cyber wouldn't function as either.

Edit: The martian invasion is still organic because life is controlling many of the machinery

Believe me, if I went back and made the cyber today, it would be very visually different than it is currently. My visuals ended up being a little more industrial than what was in my head. My focus for the Cyber was to be a counterpart to the fleshy, nasty life of the Crimson. something that is staunchly in opposition, in the same way, the themes of corruption and hallow counterparts. Where things went wrong I think was in my execution.

See, in the beginning, I was going to go with a super clean, sleek white look. The trees were going to be featureless spheres, stuff like that. Originally it was called the teal biome, to counter the Crimson, then the Cyan, then the Cyber. One point that has haunted me for a while is the fact that I ended up going with the Cyber instead of the Cyan but, oh well, these things happen.

As I was developing the art, I also started to think about how it could mesh well with the rest of the game. The mechanical bosses were the main point here. They are starkly out of place in the corrupt/hallow, beginning hardmode. I wanted to make a biome that made sense to have those bosses associated with it. And so, the biome became less clean and more metallic. Originally, the idea was supposed to be followed by a suggestion for a cycle of mech boss replacements for hallow and corrupt worlds. They would be these mages (necromancer for Skeletron prime, diviners for the twins, etc) and even maybe eldritch gods or something for the contagion, but that never ended up happening.

One day maybe I'll make the Cyber redux buuuuut probably not.

The man himself replied! I thought you were no longer active!

And wow I really wish you went with the clean white sphere theme, since that is always what comes to mind when I think about an order-themed biome, and it perfectly contrasts the yuckiness of the crimson as well. Though as much as I'd like to see your redux, I do see why you wouldn't do it.

The man himself replied! I thought you were no longer active!

And wow I really wish you went with the clean white sphere theme, since that is always what comes to mind when I think about an order-themed biome, and it perfectly contrasts the yuckiness of the crimson as well. Though as much as I'd like to see your redux, I do see why you wouldn't do it.
My guess is time, many great creators here have a lot of other stuff on their plate. Even Our Lord Zoomo.

My guess is time, many great creators here have a lot of other stuff on their plate. Even Our Lord Zoomo.

Yeah, I can agree with you there (not with the bosses). The execution was iffy. But it could also be that I just dislike the idea.

You're talented, though. Believe me, the cyber isn't your shining star.

Back
Top Bottom