Game Mechanics [Tobbvald's Tinkering] The Three Different Playthroughs (Ria)

I was thinking of it because TH'sB is amazing, and that it matches the "soul of fright". Christmas tree sword was thought as the equivalent, despite being inferior.

Amazing way to wrap it all up! Bravo! I love the concept of Ria being a weapon that requires high risk to get the most of; that was actually the goal of this thread [shameless self-promotion]. Definite support, as great as the rest of your suggestions!

Hmm a bit iffy here and sadly kind of disappointed (I had been expecting so much more...)
I guess its in part that the new terra tier weapons don't look as cool as their true counterparts. I know it will be hard to out do the True Gram Which in my biased opinion is honestly on of the best looking swords I've ever seen...

But its also much more than that to be honest, I think the real issue to me is the new fused blades don't fit the existing theme. First look at that the true swords and you will notice that excluding excalibur are all of them are sabers in design yet they loose that trait on crafting and thus they feel they don't belong...

Comparing the Terrablade and its components however, you will notice that it actually incorporates the features of its components for example taking the shape of True Nights Edge, the segmentation of True excalibur, and then overlaying the features of both hilts. Thus in appearance the Terrablade is literally the fusion of its two constituent swords.
The new sword counterparts are instead based on the Terra blade's design and thus fail to match the weapons they are composed of and thus ironically don't really match the Terra Blade either. They instead match the Corruption and Hallow, not the Crimson and Cyber or the Contagion and Covert.

Similarly, Ria is also guilty of this as it appears to have little in common with its components, or the two moon swords thus feels like an unwarranted amalgamation of affects. This is a shame as all of these weapons abilities are well thought out and interesting yet the designs feel forced.

I could support the suggestion if the swords didn't feel so out of place...

Progression wise there is an actually flaw with your suggestion though it doesn't really affect anything. You mention beating the moons before the Duke however Duke Fisheron was created to make it easier to tackle the moon events... (hence why it is easier to summon simpler to fight [assuming you have its tactics down]and is scaled to be beaten with hardmode dungeon equipment (though it seems to be comparable to the pumpkin moon which is also fairly simple to master w/ a proper arena)

To be more precise: the post mech progression currently is
hardmode Jungle(as well as eclipse and pirates)->Temple/Hardmode Dungeon->Duke Fisheron/Pumpkin Moon->Frost Moon (I know its just a minor nit pick but... :p)
More realistically I'd say the final blade should be lunar tier and as is the Christmas Tree sword and horseman's blade don't seem to fit enough

And another thing you suggest was the ability to acquire the other spreading biomes. However if you are to do that they shouldn't be available at the start Instead there should be a prerequisite mechanism to let you obtain these items.
I had suggested this to Zoomo as a potential solution to his issue of trying to get all the mechs be fought in one world, but I feel it could work here too. Instead as a mechanism what about evil biome scout enemies that spawn on the outer thirds of the map in hardmode and drop their respective biomes boss summon drops. using those to take on their respective mech boss could make an effective trigger let you get the solutions and seeds... (the evil bosses would remain exclusive as each can only be crafted at their worlds alter (which makes sense with your Dungeon boss)

much more inventive than a terra spear that everyone wants in the game but i don't really understand how ria works, is it a beam sword?

much more inventive than a terra spear that everyone wants in the game but i don't really understand how ria works, is it a beam sword?
it is a beam sword but the beams only go to the blades tip so are really short lived however it has 5 beams thus provides massive damage but only at really close range. Basically it gives the weapon a sweet spot which is an interesting concept in Terraria.

I like the idea but disagree with some sprite aspects as described above...

Hmm a bit iffy here and sadly kind of disappointed (I had been expecting so much more...)
I guess its in part that the new terra tier weapons don't look as cool as their true counterparts. I know it will be hard to out do the True Gram Which in my biased opinion is honestly on of the best looking swords I've ever seen...

But its also much more than that to be honest, I think the real issue to me is the new fused blades don't fit the existing theme. First look at that the true swords and you will notice that excluding excalibur are all of them are sabers in design yet they loose that trait on crafting and thus they feel they don't belong...
I'm thankful that someone finally comes with more serious critique, since this means that I can finally really improve the idea, I'm really glad there's something as simple as sprites and tiering though.

I'm SO glad my suspicions were confirmed that Terra Blade actually IS based on Excal+Night, I felt like it but I didn't really see it. Now that I do I have a MUCH clearer image of how these other swords would look! Not only that, but in the end it actually strengthens the foundation of the entire suggestion, because forging together a potential crimson-sword with excal would be just as silly as when making the wrong evil sword after all! I'll get to work on the new sprites right away!

But depending on how these other swords will actually look, I may hold off on taking to heart the critique against Ria, personally I feel that something else than merely a combination of the 3 feels justifiable, but wait on making the final decision until after having done the Terra-tier.

The one problem that I may have to bring up with @Zoomo is the sprite for Wrath of The Gods though, since without a canonical sprite I couldn't possibly make a combined sword from them.

Another fun fact is the name. Up until when I first called its name on my profile I had actually thought of calling it True Terra Blade, but after seeing someone suggesting that, and realizing how bad that name really was, I sat down and juggled names with a friend of mine, he actually came up with it jokingly, but I realized that Ria was exactly the kind of name to expect of a "real" final tier, one that comes after Terra without breaking patterns!

Regarding the tiering: I have never actually gotten as far in a playthrough as to beat Duke yet, my friends and I simply haven't gotten around to it, so your judgement is better than mine, I'd like some other's confirmation on this though.

I'm thankful that someone finally comes with more serious critique, since this means that I can finally really improve the idea, I'm really glad there's something as simple as sprites and tiering though.

I'm SO glad my suspicions were confirmed that Terra Blade actually IS based on Excal+Night, I felt like it but I didn't really see it. Now that I do I have a MUCH clearer image of how these other swords would look! Not only that, but in the end it actually strengthens the foundation of the entire suggestion, because forging together a potential crimson-sword with excal would be just as silly as when making the wrong evil sword after all! I'll get to work on the new sprites right away!

But depending on how these other swords will actually look, I may hold off on taking to heart the critique against Ria, personally I feel that something else than merely a combination of the 3 feels justifiable, but wait on making the final decision until after having done the Terra-tier.

The one problem that I may have to bring up with @Zoomo is the sprite for Wrath of The Gods though, since without a canonical sprite I couldn't possibly make a combined sword from them.

Another fun fact is the name. Up until when I first called its name on my profile I had actually thought of calling it True Terra Blade, but after seeing someone suggesting that, and realizing how bad that name really was, I sat down and juggled names with a friend of mine, he actually came up with it jokingly, but I realized that Ria was exactly the kind of name to expect of a "real" final tier, one that comes after Terra without breaking patterns!

Regarding the tiering: I have never actually gotten as far in a playthrough as to beat Duke yet, my friends and I simply haven't gotten around to it, so your judgement is better than mine, I'd like some other's confirmation on this though.
Glad I can help! I think what makes a great suggester is the ability to accept critique to make something better.
To be honest I'm a bit iffy on some of the biome crossing however as if done right it would also solve some of the problems that the Cyber is suffering I'm far more lenient as long as its something unlocked not just given right out of the box. Prehardmode should be limited to just one evil. I think the thing that helped me accept that a bit more was that without the biomes existing alters their boss summon couldn't be crafted so each evil boss the orbs and your Necenomicron would remain exclusive for an independent world.
In short if its not a give away to get the other biomes (aka unlocked in hardmode) then I would feel much better about it as Terraria is a game were you earn everything only starting with a copper shortsword.

I am sort of not sure about adding in the Christmas tree sword and Horsemans blade however I feel that they should have an impact on Ria.
For one of them used which might make it work better Perhaps the Horsemans blades ability could be used to renew the beams faster when the weapon itself hits a foe (sort of like the pumpkin affect w/out the pumpkins).
Additionally rather than just terminating they could fall rapidly under a parabolic arc by applying the curve of the Christmas Tree Sword so they head downwards rather than up (then just make them terminate on blocks and platforms)

Great work Tobbvald! Certainly a fitting finally! And I seriously love those swords.....

Have another
hammer_of_approval_by_milt69466-d815i4s.gif

Great work as always!

I have to say: Out of any True Terra Blade-style suggestion, this is by a long shot the best. While Dragrath is indeed correct about the weirdness of the sprites, and I personally can't help but notice that the Brim doesn't have any of the unique traits from the Brink of Deformity, which were what really helped make it a unique and creative sword.

As for Ria itself, I'm not really happy with its design in terms of sprite (reflects Excalibur's design way too much and just... I dunno, is kinda boring). A Saber-type with some creative merging of the three sword designs (I also have to say that the Christmas Tree Sword is a worthless pos and either needs to be buffed or straight-up replaced) would be more ideal.

Other than that, as usual you never disappoint. Well, at least not me.

Excellent thread, as always! :D
I like how you referred to Zoomo's Cyber biome. It's cool seeing other suggestions being integrated into your own.

Something I felt was worth drawing attention to- if you look at the "glow" around True Excalibur and True Night's Edge, you'll notice that the two sides of it reflects the color scheme of the biome to blade represents- for Hallow there's light blue (the sky and grass) and pink (the primary color), and for Corruption there's lime green (cursed flames) and purple (pretty much everything else). As well, the Terra Blade sort-of reflects this as well (this might be a bit stretching it), as the blade is colored blue and lime green- the two left colors on both True blades.

Might be something worth keeping in mind.

EDIT: Also another thing, getting the evil swords might be hard or impossible to get in a single world due to the limited number of Muramasa's- there's no guarantee you'll get the three you need without going to another world.

Also another thing, getting the evil swords might be hard or impossible to get in a single world due to the limited number of Muramasa's- there's no guarantee you'll get the three you need without going to another world.
Apparently the dryad now sells all types of seeds no matter what world youre in. So you can create your own biomes.

Back
Top Bottom