Game Mechanics [Tobbvald's Tinkering] The Three Different Playthroughs (Ria)

Tovlyn

Skeletron Prime
R0h4OVf.png

Introduction

This is it guys. Since the making of Contagion I've had this particular idea in mind, different back then than now. This one will really be more of a read than most of the others, due to the fact that this thread is the final part of Tobbvald's Tinkering. It is meant as a finalization of what has been added on during the course of the entire thing, I will still aim to continue working with the different parts to completion but this will (most likely) be the final new part of Tobbvald's Tinkering.

Summary For Lazy People

-Splitting the 3 different biome antithesis' into 3 separate playthroughs
-One dungeon color, one evil biome, and its corresponding biome (and more) locked for each one, Red Green and Blue.
-Choose which one during world-gen
-Each playthrough has its own Terra-equivalent
-A post-Golem summon for Eclipse
-All different solutions and seeds available in any given world, regardless of playthrough
-Final sword of the game, the climax that Terra Blade never was, Ria

0cHjutS.png

The Three

I have been talking about this loosely in almost every single part of this whole giga-suggestion, and it's about time that I really sat down and clarified what I mean by this. Let's presume that all of the parts along with Cyber was added to the game, each evil with its corresponding "good" biome, any other way would feel counterproductive, given the reason that Cyber and Covert exists in the first place. -This is the backwards engineered path that I based Contagion on, the Dungeon's different colors were the origin, and adding that would automatically follow that if each evil has a corresponding dungeon-type, their corresponding "good" type must also enter this pattern. This is the basis of my 3-playthrough concept, it is the only logical outcome really.

One thing to keep in mind in this is that my view of the Terraria universe is that each playthrough, be it Corruption Crimson or Contagion all takes place in the same world, maybe even the same planet. The only thing keeping them apart is the world-border, the "location". Meaning that just because you have Corruption sitting on your porch doesn't mean that there isn't a Contagion or Crimson somewhere out there, you just aren't traveling far enough into the world, and how could you? -Given that Terraria has no ships that could take you over the surrounding oceans?

0cHjutS.png

A Brief Look At a Playthrough

-Easy-mode

It would all start with the evil biome, Corruption, Crimson or Contagion, each one with its own perks and gear, all even in balance, but different in actual content and behavior, as well as hazards.

-Pre-Hardmode

The Dungeon would be altered in the way that a "Green" playthrough will only have a green dungeon, a "Blue" one will have a blue dungeon and so on, at this stage of the game this bear little relevance, given that any world only has one brick-type nothing is different except for the player being able to calculate which world will contain which brick-type, a little convenience I can't see doing any harm.

Note that Dryad should sell ALL seeds, Crimson Corruption and Contagion, regardless of world, in hardmode also all "good" biome seeds.

-Hardmode

At this point many things of importance happen:

Souls of Light and Dark, Order and Chaos, or Life and Death are released into the world.

Though the text itself bears no relevance this does however determine if you will face Destroyer, Mother Board or (insert Behemoth-mech here) as the second strongest mechanical boss. (Reference to that one part of TT that I haven't rewritten yet, I will get to this when I have the time to redo the entire thing)

It also determines if your world will have Hallow, Cyber or Covert.

-Mid-Hardmode

The next time that something new arises is when you defeat Golem, and you are now presented with something interesting when you try using the Lihzard furnace:

Crafting together a few Lihzard bricks and some souls of fright (Or equivalent) you are presented with a Lihzard Calendar:
ZDf7yAt.png

This item allows you to summon Eclipses!

-And here is where the thread kicks off for real. The way Terraria works right now I've been equipped with a Terra Blade before even facing the final mechanical boss, and that is regardless of Multiplayer or singleplayer. It can partially be explained by the fact that we tend to have a building-period where we merely work on our bases at this point, but the point still stands. Having a Terra Blade at this point always killed the awesome feeling of climax for me, and similarly, other times when I rushed I wouldn't get it at all, due to bad luck with Ecplises. What I am saying is that such an important feature shouldn't be left to RNG to bestow upon you, there must be a limit to how long you're expected to go without it.

When I started thinking about this something similar to when I realized that we needed a Crimson-sword struck me, how come each playthrough yields the same Terra-sword? I noted that Terra Blade is tinted in blue, so I went ahead and designed these to add up to the pattern:

Blue Playthrough:

True_Excalibur.png
+
True_Night%27s_Edge.png
=
WqK88LZ.png

Terra Blade. The original Terra-sword, with the most well-rounded stats, combined beam of both Excallibur and Nights edge; this sword fires spinning beams that explode into small fragments on contact. Terra Blade also has the shortest cooldown between beams.

Red Playthrough:

index.php
+
index.php
=
iDzAatp.png

Terra Cleaver. Terra Cleaver would be the heaviest, meaning slowest autoswing, strongest raw damage and further between shots than Terra Blade. Its beams would travel slowly and have a finite reach, about 2/3 of the screen's length, and leave a damaging trail.

Green Playthrough:

BarfyQe.png
+
j4OsIk5.png
=
Gbg3K0M.png

Terra Brand. This Terra-sword also keeps the best of both, meaning very quick double slashes, with a longer cooldown before you can strike again, this of course means that Terra Brand does not have auto-swing. When slashing lots of small shards shoot out randomly in the direction you're swinging. Its beams would have no cap, but be completely bound to the swinging of the sword, meaning that you can fire two beams simultaneously but then have to wait longer before firing again. The beams themselves would travel extremely fast.

-Their stats should all match the tier of current Terra Blade. And I intend that both seeds and Steam Punker's selling of Solutions should be complete with all kinds of both in any world, which combined with the Lihzard Calendar results in the possibility for players to fairly easily gain access to all different true swords and eventually Terra-Swords. The variation and options are close to infinte, even though the world-gen itself is stricter.
The "Good" biome swords will be available through the second level mech; Destroyer, Mother Board or (insert Behe-mech) which regardless of world will now drop the world's "good" bars associated with each playthrough, so a single fight against each should let the player gain one of each of the 3 swords.

-Late-Hardmode

After dealing with the Events, Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon, and probably experimented a bit with different True/Terra swords, the player will have a new option before facing Necronomitron.

Combining the power of all 3 Terra-swords: (-a fairly simple task given the reach-arounds provided above) The player can now combine all these achievements, the ultimate blades of 3 antitheses with the Horseman's Blade and Christmas Sword (both easily gained through grinding the event for the commonly more useful gear) -into one. The ultimate sword (actually acquired near the end this time), a symbol of the world's completion itself;

t5o4iua.png

Ria

One important thing to note with this weapon is that it will not make the previous tier, Terra, completely redundant, and here is why:

Ria will unlike previous True/Terra -swords actually be meant for Meleers only. This sword will instead of one beam fire 5, one for each sword involved in its making. They will fold out like a fan, following the slashing direction, BUT they will move only as far as to the tip of the blade itself. This makes this sword ideal for either defensive play or berserk-like assault, requiring massive quantities of defense to back up such a play-style. Statwise it will be nearly the same as Terra Blade, meaning that for ranged sword-strikes, at least one Terra-sword will still be of actual use to a Close-ranger. Ria's power comes from the added beams, which essentially hold the power to X5 the damage of Terra Blade, but given the difficult requirements, its power is limited in many ways to balance this insane power out.

(-And yes, the name literally is the "ria" part of Terraria, another symbolic way of underlining the end-game this sword represents).

Most likely with this sword in hand, the player will then move on to maybe take down Necronomitron, which will be tiered to make use of this new melee-weapon, and later also The Lunar.

This is the full area of effect that Tobbvald's Tinkering aims to reach, anything beyond Necronomitron is up for speculation on even my part. A similar summary with more details will eventually be added and continuously updated over at my main thread, reachable through my signature.

0cHjutS.png

Thanks for reading

Thanks for reading this final part of Tobbvald's Tinkering! I hope it has been at least somewhat enlightening, feedback and thoughts in the comment section below are as always most welcome.​

Last edited:
I imagine this now

THE HUNT FOR BROKEN HERO SWORDS HAS BEGUN
-And note that at the point this happens will be waaay before the actual combined use takes place, because all different true swords have their own use, similar to how the Terra-Swords later do as well. The grind will be stretched out at hardly noticed for even average players just looking to mess around.

While I do love all of your other suggestions , the combination of 3 playthroughs is... not a great idea , Ria is a sword that combined 3 alternatives. IMO alternatives should stay alternatives , nobody wants to farm for 2 other weapons , it's just not fun , but everything else , the 3 seperate playthroughs having their own terra blades is a great idea , but combining 3 playthroughs isn't a very good idea.
I also like the great and mighty eclipse summoning item.

THIS IS THE COOLEST IDEA EVER!!!!! other than the cyber and are you serious, you arent going to make any more of these? ;(
Ok, you just gave me an idea. Possibly the biggest project i have ever done, maybe bigger than the frozen hell project. It will work alongside your RIA idea. I will possibly notify you or everyone when it is done. Just wait...

While I do love all of your other suggestions , the combination of 3 playthroughs is... not a great idea , Ria is a sword that combined 3 alternatives. IMO alternatives should stay alternatives , nobody wants to farm for 2 other weapons , it's just not fun , but everything else , the 3 seperate playthroughs having their own terra blades is a great idea , but combining 3 playthroughs isn't a very good idea.
I also like the great and mighty eclipse summoning item.
Thanks for your feedback! But I really can't see the big problem in getting these swords. -Keep in mind that this spans over the course of half of hardmode. And no, the playthroughs are not combined in any way, they remain separate. What does not remain is the border between them, players shouldn't need to multi-world farm to get ahold of the 6 different true-swords explained in the Sword-rebalancing thread anyways, this is merely an expansion on that concept. In the end will Ria only require one decently lucky extra Eclipse, given that the wait for it isn't a problem, and the reward for doing it, I think it's more than just!

Good job, Tobbvald. I've really enjoyed reading all your idea threads and hope that some one on the dev team will take a notice and maybe think about it all. Looking forward to Behe-Mecha-Tron-Prime-Zor thingymabob and any future threads you may make! JonDaTerrarian, out.

Thanks for your feedback! But I really can't see the big problem in getting these swords. -Keep in mind that this spans over the course of half of hardmode. And no, the playthroughs are not combined in any way, they remain separate. What does not remain is the border between them, players shouldn't need to multi-world farm to get ahold of the 6 different true-swords explained in the Sword-rebalancing thread anyways, this is merely an expansion on that concept. In the end will Ria only require one decently lucky extra Eclipse, given that the wait for it isn't a problem, and the reward for doing it, I think it's more than just!
Right, you wont have to mulitworld, cuz the dryad thing... I see wat u did ther;)

Right, you wont have to mulitworld, cuz the dryad thing... I see wat u did ther;)
OH NO, no way am I asking people to sell out to Dryad, instead go for Clentaminator and Steampunker, since all Solutions are available, grinding for mechanical-summons should be a breeze.

So basically what you're saying is that by using solutions we can summon the bosses to get the other world night's edges?

So basically what you're saying is that by using solutions we can summon the bosses to get the other world night's edges and other world hallowed swords?
Essentially, yes. By spreading a smaller patch of all 3 evils in a world you may perform a quick grind for both the early-game boss summons and the mechanical-boss summons. Easymode bosses = "Evil" swords, since all of them drop both scale-type and ore. Hardmode bosses = "Good" swords, since the second-tier mechanical boss will be unique for each world-type and drop the "good"-biome ingot associated with a particular worldtype. the summons for each of the three specific mechanical bosses will be made from the biome's easy-mode enemy-drop.

Essentially, yes. By spreading a smaller patch of all 3 evils in a world you may perform a quick grind for both the early-game boss summons and the mechanical-boss summons. Easymode bosses = "Evil" swords, since all of them drop both scale-type and ore. Hardmode bosses = "Good" swords, since the second-tier mechanical boss will be unique for each world-type and drop the "good"-biome ingot associated with a particular worldtype. the summons for each of the three specific mechanical bosses will be made from the biome's easy-mode enemy-drop.
The 2nd mechanical boss idea is quite clever , I must say , but I still don't like the fact that you have to put all 3 evil and good biomes into your world , it just throws out the "different playthroughs" thing out of the window , since , you fight the other 2 prehardmode bosses in hardmode and you also fight the other 2 second mechs in hardmode , you basically kill the replay value , instead of playing the game 3 times to have more fun with different playthroughs , you experience the other two playthroughs and since you experience them when you're quite powerful , you actually throw away all the fun you would have if you would start 2 new playthroughs.

The 2nd mechanical boss idea is quite clever , I must say , but I still don't like the fact that you have to put all 3 evil and good biomes into your world , it just throws out the "different playthroughs" thing out of the window , since , you fight the other 2 prehardmode bosses in hardmode and you also fight the other 2 second mechs in hardmode , you basically kill the replay value , instead of playing the game 3 times to have more fun with different playthroughs , you experience the other two playthroughs and since you experience them when you're quite powerful , you actually throw away all the fun you would have if you would start 2 new playthroughs.
Ah, but then you haven't seen the entire picture at all! The bosses, excluding Necronomitron, who WILL not be available in any other format than the original one, is only ONE aspect of each playthrough. What has been explained before is the biomes themselves, go to the thread discussing each one's unique hazards and quirks, those things will only really be experienced through replaying. -And to be perfectly honest, this doesn't hurt replay value as much as those sporadic out-world travels having to be made by completionists to gather everything they desire do anyways. Having those things available without world-jumping seems like the most pro-atmosphere thing to do to be honest.

The fact is that, for the "true terra blade", I'd have thought of this: late game swords, and many souls.
True excalibur + soul of light: sword of light
True night edge + soul of night: sword of night
Beam sword (or maybe the keyblade?) + soul of flight: sword of flight
Pine tree sword + soul of sight : sword of sight
The horseman's blade + soul of fright : Sword of fright
Terra blade(/barb/brim?) + soul of might : sword of might

All together: you can make your sword.

This recipe has the advantage to require less BHS (5 against 9), and only requires one world, only two murasamas, and you'll have to mine a bit less. But it is a post-events item (that's definitely a rarity tier to make)

Ah, but then you haven't seen the entire picture at all! The bosses, excluding Necronomitron, who WILL not be available in any other format than the original one, is only ONE aspect of each playthrough. What has been explained before is the biomes themselves, go to the thread discussing each one's unique hazards and quirks, those things will only really be experienced through replaying. -And to be perfectly honest, this doesn't hurt replay value as much as those sporadic out-world travels having to be made by completionists to gather everything they desire do anyways. Having those things available without world-jumping seems like the most pro-atmosphere thing to do to be honest.
Actually , I have an another idea of an ultimate sword , how about combining the Terra Blade/Barb/Brim with a blade that could be dropped from the Lunar boss... The Caelum Blade! Caelum means sky and Terra means earth , earth + sky = ? Maybe something like the Omni Blade , or the Blade of the Cosmic Whole.

Actually, when you think about it , it kinda doesn't make sense.

Well Tobbvlad this idea brought me tears . I . Just . Love . It . 3 different playthroughs which you can chose , adding a new evil ( with Corruption and Crimson) and its alt and even integrating someones idea into your's ( Zoomo's Cyber) and also The Necronomitron ... so cool .Alternates to the true swords and the Terra Blade and addidng the Ultimate sword called Ria (what if you combine Terra with Ria ? :) ). I've readed all you're sugestions and i like them all ( Contagio , Necronomitron etc. ) . If you ask me you have maximum support from me . Thank you for reading . :)

This absolutely blows me away. It's one of the grandest things I've ever seen. Phenomenal work!

(I hope you pardon me for asking, but why are the Christmas Tree Sword and Horseman's Blade required for Ria? As ingredients, I can't say that they're logical.)

This absolutely blows me away. It's one of the grandest things I've ever seen. Phenomenal work!

(I hope you pardon me for asking, but why are the Christmas Tree Sword and Horseman's Blade required for Ria? As ingredients, I can't say that they're logical.)
Logic is sadly not the reason for this, i just figured that those two would be the best way to narrow down the time of crafting to post-events, prior Necronomitron/Duke.

Glad you like it btw! For more detail on any one subject brough up by OP, stop by the thread linked in my siggy.

Back
Top Bottom