Portfolio/Multi-Topic Tobbvald's Tinkering

That isn't necessarily true. The main team with Red & co are moving on, but they're going to task an off-shoot team with the original Terraria. I don't think we've gotten word on what this second team will be tasked with doing more specifically, but it was a long time since Re-Logic really talked about this stuff. For all we know this second team could be authorized by Red to actually implement some of the larger suggestions.

We all know that once a game like this halts so will its relevance. Sandboxes without constant expansion are doomed, hence why Minecraft and Terraria have stayed relevant for so long. It would certainly be an unequal opportunity to let this secondary team involve itself with the suggestion community and allow the main team to almost completely prioritize elsewhere while at the same time bolstering the first game with new content.
Cenx and Yoraiz0r are going to be part of the new team (and Cenx will be leading it) Its not going to be new people, just a few members of the Re-Logic team. Cenx said updates would be smaller and more frequent, 1.3.1 might be a wiring update, and hell might get revamped.

I have a concept for the Wall of Death.

Basically, it's a giant wall of mud with Contagion-grass on the outside. The mouth is facing you, while there is a single eye on the other side of the mouth (the side not facing you). There are Entangling Vines (the Hungry counterpart) that act like the Hungry but they also shoot thorns at you that are affected by gravity. Meanwhile, the mouth scatters spores that land on blocks and turn into Fly Traps, the Leech counterpart. Fly Traps are Plant AI enemies that have a huge extension range.

Every once in a while, the eye, mouth and Entangling Vines retract into the wall, and the wall passes you. This doesn't make you get the equivalent to the Tongue, instead, the mouth pops out on the other side of you and the Wall changes directions! It stops attacking you other than charging, and starts speeding extremely fast towards the edge of the world it came from. To get it to turn around, you must deal 500 damage, after which it returns to its original speed and direction.
I was just browsing curiously through Zoomos' art thread, and I saw something that would be absolutely perfect for a Contagion Wall here's the link to his art thread http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/zoomos-art.533/ there's actually two different walls, one that looks like a wall of shadow (Corruption Wall?) and at the very bottom there's something for the Contagion, it almost seems like Zoomos made it just for that!

I was just browsing curiously through Zoomos' art thread, and I saw something that would be absolutely perfect for a Contagion Wall here's the link to his art thread http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/zoomos-art.533/ there's actually two different walls, one that looks like a wall of shadow (Corruption Wall?) and at the very bottom there's something for the Contagion, it almost seems like Zoomos made it just for that!
It wasnt for the Contagion though :P

Yeah that one is made for The Brim or some such, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't recall what @SzGamer227 calls it, a suggestion for an alt to hell.
It wasnt for the Contagion though :P
Funny you say that, because actually it might just be. We've been considering a collaboration between suggesters with one hell version for each of the three evils, we're all in agreement that it's a good idea, no one has just bothered making the thread yet. I'll probably look into doing it at some point.

Yeah that one is made for The Brim or some such, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't recall what @SzGamer227 calls it, a suggestion for an alt to hell.

Funny you say that, because actually it might just be. We've been considering a collaboration between suggesters with one hell version for each of the three evils, we're all in agreement that it's a good idea, no one has just bothered making the thread yet. I'll probably look into doing it at some point.
:O, if I knew anything about coding (I know a little but not enough to make a Terraria mod) I would be willing to help you make a mod for this, but if you need another guy to do something (not sure what that would be (Testing? ;))) I'd do it.

A while back something major happened in the Terraria world, I guess you all know what it was.
1.3 changed a lot of things. It left Tobbvald's Tinkering way out of the loop, since there were now two sets of patterns, those I've worked with, and the endgame. Up until just recently I wasn't entirely sure whether or not I would have the motivation to actually work with these new patterns and unwritten pages, but now I feel ready to tackle this new set of holes that need filling. This project barely even aims to be part of the game anymore, since the sheer magnitude of its components would call for at least one more large update, of which there are supposedly not going to be any more with this version. I will make these changes purely for myself, I've stopped fooling myself.

But regardless
work on Tobbvald's Tinkering Season Two starts now.

A while back something major happened in the Terraria world, I guess you all know what it was.
1.3 changed a lot of things. It left Tobbvald's Tinkering way out of the loop, since there were now two sets of patterns, those I've worked with, and the endgame. Up until just recently I wasn't entirely sure whether or not I would have the motivation to actually work with these new patterns and unwritten pages, but now I feel ready to tackle this new set of holes that need filling. This project barely even aims to be part of the game anymore, since the sheer magnitude of its components would call for at least one more large update, of which there are supposedly not going to be any more with this version. I will make these changes purely for myself, I've stopped fooling myself.

But regardless
work on Tobbvald's Tinkering Season Two starts now.
ron-paul-its-happening.jpg

Super excited for this, and very much looking forward to where this goes. And remember, there's always the possibility of mods, I mean you've already done all the spriting :)

I'm getting really anxious to know what your next big plan is... a fourth playthrough sounds super awesome but I'm trying to think of what theme it could be... Not to mention that with the new throwing class being implemented it could open up even more possibilities.

I'm getting really anxious to know what your next big plan is... a fourth playthrough sounds super awesome but I'm trying to think of what theme it could be... Not to mention that with the new throwing class being implemented it could open up even more possibilities.
I think the color will be dark blue, with its opposite yellow. :)

Just found a piece of gold on my Twitter feed. The image is attached.

Paying close attention to the middle paragraph, "NEW MECHANICS AND ALTERNATE BIOMES", could this mean that Tobbvald's Tinkering has a chance of implementation?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-05-14-20-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-05-14-20-47.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 230
Just found a piece of gold on my Twitter feed. The image is attached.

Paying close attention to the middle paragraph, "NEW MECHANICS AND ALTERNATE BIOMES", could this mean that Tobbvald's Tinkering has a very high chance of implementation?
Regardless of whether or not this happens, OFFICIAL MODDING SUPPORT. That means Tobbvald's Tinkering in its entirety could become a thing.

Add a heaping amount of Zoomo's ideas to that mod and you've got yourself the future of Terraria.
If we get modding support on the scale of Minecraft Forge (rather than tAPI, which sadly is not as effective), they could actually be handled using separate mods, for those who don't really want one or the other.

As an additional note, there was mention earlier of sandbox games requiring a constant stream of new content to survive- and while this IS true, it doesn't have to be official content. I'm going to be that one :red: and compare Terraria to Minecraft (solely on the basis of they're both sandbox games, and NOTHING else)- if not for the fact that mods exist, I would have lost interest in Minecraft a LONG time ago, and I know I'm not the only one. For a lot of people, vanilla Minecraft's pretty boring (it's really shallow tbh), but with mods it gets REALLY interesting. While that entire thing is not necessarily true for Terraria, the point of mods maintaining interest in the game still does.

In fact, Steam Workshop support would probably dramatically increase the amount of interest in the game, not to mention make it easier for modders to be, well, known. (Mods aren't as well-known in the Terraria community as they are in the Minecraft community.)

Oh yeah, and before I forget.

The concept of a fourth set of biomes terrifies me. I'm afraid of whatever Tobbvald has planned.

If we get modding support on the scale of Minecraft Forge (rather than tAPI, which sadly is not as effective), they could actually be handled using separate mods, for those who don't really want one or the other.

As an additional note, there was mention earlier of sandbox games requiring a constant stream of new content to survive- and while this IS true, it doesn't have to be official content. I'm going to be that one :red: and compare Terraria to Minecraft (solely on the basis of they're both sandbox games, and NOTHING else)- if not for the fact that mods exist, I would have lost interest in Minecraft a LONG time ago, and I know I'm not the only one. For a lot of people, vanilla Minecraft's pretty boring (it's really shallow tbh), but with mods it gets REALLY interesting. While that entire thing is not necessarily true for Terraria, the point of mods maintaining interest in the game still does.

In fact, Steam Workshop support would probably dramatically increase the amount of interest in the game, not to mention make it easier for modders to be, well, known. (Mods aren't as well-known in the Terraria community as they are in the Minecraft community.)

Oh yeah, and before I forget.

The concept of a fourth set of biomes terrifies me. I'm afraid of whatever Tobbvald has planned.
Completely agreed with this post. Ideally I'd want to see the various major portions of this as separate mods, obviously for some things that wouldn't work out because they're all connected, unless there would be a way to get past that.

Completely agreed with this post. Ideally I'd want to see the various major portions of this as separate mods, obviously for some things that wouldn't work out because they're all connected, unless there would be a way to get past that.
There's a reason I specified 'Minecraft Forge-level'. If modding support on its level was implemented, adding x thing if y mod is ALSO installed is not that hard. People have done some pretty crazy stuff with cross-mod compatibility before, and it's been used for module-based mods as well.

Honestly, if I DIDN'T know that was possible, I wouldn't have put the idea forward. :p

I wonder what a fourth evil would possibly look like... we have dark, chaos, and death... there's not much more that'd be serious. Perhaps Tobbvald could give us a hint? :p
I can probably come up with some ideas. The first one that comes to mind is some kind of Void-like biome, but I don't think an alternate for that would be feasible. XD

I'll think about it, and maybe I can come up with some things that would definitely fit the definition of 'evil'.

Back
Top Bottom