Game Mechanics Toggling the visual effects of armor on and off

I've encountered a lot of times where I wish I could rid myself of those Beetles, or to have the Stardust Guardian permanently off my back without changing my armor. Those visual armor set effects can mess with certain vanity costumes and ruin the look.

So essentially what I'm proposing is the ability to toggle the sprites for those set bonuses on and off. The abilities still function, and the buff icon will still appear so you can identify if the buffs are active.

Palladium Armor (The Hearts don't appear)
Palladium_armor.png

Titanium (The shadows are negated)
Titanium_armor.png

Chlorophyte (Leaf Crystal is absent)
Chlorophyte_armor.png

Shroomite (You remain visible while standing still)
Shroomite_armor.png

Beetle (Beetles vanish)
Beetle_Armor.png

Solar Flare (Solar Shield vanishes)
Solar_Flare_armor.png

Nebula (When boosters are obtained, they don't appear rotating around the player)
Nebula_armor.png

Stardust (The Guardian will not appear behind you, but when you double tap DOWN, it will become visible and fight for you as it normally would)
Stardust_armor.png

Vortex (Similar to Shroomite, you remain visible when you double tap DOWN. All other effects occur, such as the lowered speed)
Vortex_armor.png

These effects would be toggled by clicking a grey oval that would be attached to the chestpiece slot (similar to how one would toggle accessories on and off)

Remember, the only thing that will be toggled on and off is the visual effects of the armor set bonus. You will still get the 30% damage reduction from Solar Flare Shield if you toggle the shield off, since it's only getting rid of the sprite.

@Neon and @Darkness Wizard suggested that players should also have the option to silence effects such as afterimages and pulses, and the extra sounds as well. (These effects differ from the armors above because they don't provide a buff.) How this would be incorporated could be something like this: We could have a second grey oval on the left side of the armor, and when clicked, that would cancel the special effects. The oval on the right side would cancel things such as the Beetles or Leaf Crystal. The corresponding ovals would only appear if the armor equipped has one or both types of effects. So if someone equips Hallowed armor, only the left oval would appear.

Ninja (Afterimage is absent)
Ninja_clothes.png
Ninja_Clothes2.png

Meteor (Flame Particles are extinguished)
Meteor_armor.png
Female_Meteorite_Armor.png

Shadows (No Afterimage)
Shadow_armor.png
Ancient_Shadow_armor.png

Crimson (Pulsing effect is prevented)
Crimson_armor_male.png
Crimson_armor_female.png

Molten (Embers are negated)
Molten_armor.png
Female_Molten_Armor.png

Jungle (Spores are absent)
Jungle_armor.png
Female_Jungle_Armor.png

Necro (Afterimage and additional sound effects are gone)
Necro_armor.png
Female_Necro_Armor.png

Cobalt (No Afterimage)
Cobalt_armor.png

Mythril (Sparkles are dulled)
Mythril_armor.png

Adamantite (Pulse is absent)
Adamantite_armor.png

Hallowed (Everything is prevented)
Hallowed_armor_Headgear.png
Hallowed_armor_Mask.png
Hallowed_armor_Helmet.png

Frost (Snow effects are negated, and the extra sound effects are silenced)
Frost_armor_male.png
Frost_armor_female.png

Spectre (Armor is completely opaque)
Spectre_armor_mask.png

Thanks for taking a look at my suggestion, if you have questions or any feedback, please leave them :D

Last edited:
I completely blew over the fact that Chlorophyte also has that Leaf Crystal thing, so I added that to the suggestion. If there is any more armor that has a special effect, let me know.

Thanks for the support so far everyone! With a bit more backers I think we could bring this thread to the attention of one of the devs?

I completely blew over the fact that Chlorophyte also has that Leaf Crystal thing, so I added that to the suggestion. If there is any more armor that has a special effect, let me know.

Thanks for the support so far everyone! With a bit more backers I think we could bring this thread to the attention of one of the devs?
What about special effects like Shadowscale armor afterimage and Chlorophyte blinking/dimming/whatever

What about special effects like Shadowscale armor afterimage and Chlorophyte blinking/dimming/whatever
We could have a second grey oval on the left side of the armor, and when clicked, that would cancel the special effects. The oval on the right side would cancel things such as the Beetles or Leaf Crystal. The corresponding ovals would only appear if the armor equipped has one or both types of effects. So if someone equips Hallowed armor, only the left oval would appear.

That's just from the top of my head, I figure that's probably the simplest way. Should I add that to the original post?

We could have a second grey oval on the left side of the armor, and when clicked, that would cancel the special effects. The oval on the right side would cancel things such as the Beetles or Leaf Crystal. The corresponding ovals would only appear if the armor equipped has one or both types of effects. So if someone equips Hallowed armor, only the left oval would appear.

That's just from the top of my head, I figure that's probably the simplest way. Should I add that to the original post?
The effects he is describing are already cancelled upon vanity.

The effects he is describing are already cancelled upon vanity.
But that's assuming that something is wanted in the vanity slot. If I have Adamantite armor equipped, and I so happen to like the look of the armor, I wouldn't want to equip any vanity armor to rid myself of the effects. I don't know if I explained that well :p

But that's assuming that something is wanted in the vanity slot. If I have Adamantite armor equipped, and I so happen to like the look of the armor, I wouldn't want to equip any vanity armor to rid myself of the effects. I don't know if I explained that well :p
Why would you want to rid yourself of the effects :/

assuming you make them dissapear, the attacks and stuff still appear, right? it wuold be kind of distracting to see enemies randomly getting damaged for no reason

(talking mainly about the chlorophyte crystal)

assuming you make them dissapear, the attacks and stuff still appear, right? it wuold be kind of distracting to see enemies randomly getting damaged for no reason

(talking mainly about the chlorophyte crystal)
Good question. The projectile thing would still be visible, but the crystal itself wouldn't be.

Back
Top Bottom