Too many support threads are being submitted to Guides

Baconfry

Terrarian
Nowadays it seems like every other thread posted to Terraria Guides is a thread that belongs to in-game or technical support. Perhaps the name "Terraria Guides" isn't clear enough? There is some room for ambiguity, especially if English isn't your first language. These people are looking for someone to "guide" them after all. Renaming to "Player-made Terraria Guides" might make things less ambiguous.

Or instead of changing the name of the subforum, we could add a notice when they hit "post thread" that asks them to check a box to indicate that they understand the purpose of the subforum they're posting in. I know for a fact that this is possible with XenForo; not sure if TCF is any different. Guides are written infrequently enough that this wouldn't negatively affect people who write actual guides, I think.

I see this a lot in the suggestions page as well, where people go in to ask people for suggestions for how to kill a boss or suggestions for what items to use, etc.

I think that one thing that would help is to make the in game support forums more obvious, because unless you already know where it is it takes a little bit of digging around to find, and most people will just go straight to guides or suggestions areas because they don’t see the in game support forums.

It’s certainly something that can be looked into, to see if renaming a section or rearranging the layout can help new members find things easier. The forums can be overwhelming to someone new with the vast amount of info and sections.

The Guides and Suggestions section do see their share of “In-Game Support” questions. They also show up here in Forum Help & Feedback and over in Crossroads a lot as well. So it’s not just one section that gets confused. Plus, for every thread that you guys see (and helpfully report) that are in the wrong spot, there are even more that were moved by the forum staff (into the correct section) that weren’t even noticed - beyond just support questions being in the wrong spot.

Perhaps the In-Game Support section can be highlighted more - it’s something that can be discussed. A bit ago, the “Quick Hookup” sections were made more prevalent because we heard it was too hard to find them. Members coming here just to find others to play with and not knowing where to go. So they were moved up into a more highlighted area - and yet there are still Hookup threads that end up other places. :D

As far as a check box that they need to read and check before posting, that’s not something native to Xenforo that I‘m aware of, though it may be a customized add on. I have doubts that it’ll be read though - we’ve all seen where an announcement thread has huge red letters saying something, and then we’ve all seen members that post something that shows they didn’t read the big red letters.

Back
Top Bottom