Game Mechanics Tool Modifiers

stormconure

Duke Fishron
Everyone loves modifiers, right? They make your weapons better, right? And they're completely pointless on pickaxes, right? Right. I find it very annoying when i craft a pickaxe or hammer and the modifier the crafting bench randomly decides to give it is godly. Such a good modifier, wasted on a non-combat tool.

So I have a solution: tool-specific modifiers. They would give boosts in mining speed, tile reach, and even things like "lucky drop" (which I will get to in a minute). Here are my ideas:

Pickaxe
—————
Mining Speed: affects how fast you can mine blocks, NOT pickaxe power (adding power may make, say, a gold pick able to mine dungeon brick).
Tile Reach: extends how far away you can mine or interact with blocks.
Lucky Drop: chance to drop 2 of the ore instead of one. Only works on naturally generated ores, not ores placed by player (to prevent farming)

Axe
——
Can have mining speed, as well as the following:
Power: adds axe power. (Doesnt affect what it can mine, so it can work)
Efficiency: makes it so more wood/acorns drop from every tree mined.

Hammer
—————
Can have mining speed, as well as the following:
Fortune: anything broken has a chance to release more of whatever it drops than normal (ie, more cobalt spawns after breaking a demon altar)

Also, anything considered a "combat tool" like the shroomite digging claw and war axe of the night can receive weapon modifiers as well as tool modifiers.

A few suggestions for names of modifiers
—————————————————————————
For anything that can have mining speed:
Lazy: -10% speed
Streamlined: +10% speed

For pickaxes:
Best: Blessed: +10% speed, +3 tile reach, 5% lucky drop
Exacting: +2 tile reach, 5% lucky drop, -5% speed
Cunning: +6% speed, -1 tile reach, 1% lucky drop

For axes:
Best: Heavy: +10% speed, +5% power, +3

For hammers:
Best: Superpowered: +10% speed, +5 fortune

Ideas for other modifier names are appreciated!

Last edited:
For pickaxe mining speed:
Lazy: -15% pickaxe speed
Sluggish: -10% pickaxe speed
Slow: -5% pickaxe speed
Fast:+5% pickaxe speed
Speedy:+10% pickaxe speed
Continuous: +15% pickaxe speed

For pickaxe mining speed:
Lazy: -15% pickaxe speed
Sluggish: -10% pickaxe speed
Slow: -5% pickaxe speed
Fast:+5% pickaxe speed
Speedy:+10% pickaxe speed
Continuous: +15% pickaxe speed
Thanks for that, but i think there shouldnt be that many that focus only on speed. I will use a couple of those though

Thanks for that, but i think there shouldnt be that many that focus only on speed. I will use a couple of those though
I found some tile reaching modifiers that might work
Stump -15% reach
Tiny -10% reach
Short -5% reach
Long +5% reach
Lengthy +10% reach
Far-Reaching +15% reach

Just so its know currently The speed modifier of a pickaxe affects its mining time (not melee speed from accessories that modifies a different stat than the modifier which is only for weapons)
Its cool and all but I worry about the tools that are meant to be both tools and weapons aka The Axe, The Breaker, Shroomite Digging Claws,Chlorophyte WarHammer ect) loosing offensive modifiers could weaken their effectiveness
Though for no weaponized tools it could be great :)

Things that should be exempt: (as they are a weapon as much as a tool)
Demonite Crimtane tier tools
hell tier(maybe, as you don't give a pick a debuff if its not meant to kill things...)
hardmode ore axes/Chainsaws
Drax
Chlorophyte tools
The Axe
Shroomite Digging Claws
Spectere hamaxe(I could let this one slide it does 60 damage high for a tool but its in the hardmode dungeon though seeing how some other melee weapons for the place are compared its not that different)
(If you note I used DPS all these tools are quite strong for their availability and as such can be used as an effective weapon)

Its cool and all but I worry about the tools that are meant to be both tools and weapons aka The Axe, The Breaker, Shroomite Digging Claws,Chlorophyte WarHammer ect) loosing offensive modifiers could weaken their effectiveness
If im not mistaken, i actually said in the main post that weaponized tools can also recieve weapon modifiers.

You have 7 likes, i only have one thread that has that many. If you want to see it it is The New Mimic: Gargoyle.
Actually, this is one of my most well liked ideas (not including the Frozen Hell Project), and yet it is so simple. Im surprised it turned out this successful.

Actually, this is one of my most well liked ideas (not including the Frozen Hell Project), and yet it is so simple. Im surprised it turned out this successful.
Sometimes the ones we think are going to turn out bad turn out good, while the ones we think will be good turn out bad. Same for my gargoyle thread.

Sometimes the ones we think are going to turn out bad turn out good, while the ones we think will be good turn out bad. Same for my gargoyle thread.
Honestly looking at the threads I think its a mix of simple threads that really add to the game and massive threads with awesome sprites and lots of details that get a lot of support. (Of course depending on when they were posted and where)This is one of the first type; simple and support worthy.

I found some tile reaching modifiers that might work
Stump -15% reach
Tiny -10% reach
Short -5% reach
Long +5% reach
Lengthy +10% reach
Far-Reaching +15% reach

None of these would even work on a common scenario because most pickaxes have a reach of 5 blocks. Some rounding could happen though, but my point still stands. If you really want bonus reach then just stick to +1 or +2 tiles.

I don't agree with the 'fortune' modifiers though, it doesn't seem necessary. More speed/reach is absolutely fine, but that's all I can think about for uniqueness. I'm kind of fine with tools being melee anyway.

There's a problem.
How to manage hamaxes?
Terraria has 4 of them (meteor, molten, spectre and the Axe). They would need both axe and hammer modifiers.
There are also 4 draxes: the pickaxe axe, the drax, the picksaw and the shroomite digging claw.

P.S. I personnally prefer drills, but sadly they are inferior to their counterparts. I'd like drills to be a bit advantaged by speed mods.

Back
Top Bottom