tModLoader [Tool] The Terraria Seed Project

Hi, thanks for writing potential bug reports.

And the search stops there?
"757602046" is the number value of an empty string. Did you entered "?" as a world seed (before the mod screen starts)?
So does it start with "Starting seed search at: 757602046" and you changed to 0?
If so, you could write e..g "?0" as world seed. After this "757602046" should not appear again. However, that shouldn't be any issue. After "757602046" it should continue with seed 0 (or that seed you entered in at starting at). The option menu is placed in a loop of world generation. If you start search it needs to finish the last loop first before starting a new one with the settings you selected. It's only an output not needed there but I added to bug list. Thanks for that hint.

It should not have any effect on your search. If the search stops there then there might be the chance some of your mods and seed search don't like each other.
Which other mods you are using? Together with Overhaul it should work. If you like you could try it with other mods disabled (don't forget to reload mods after disable).

It starts at 100000 or something like that, then it skips right to 757602046, and then it stalls out, I usually give 2-3 minutes before I ALT F4 out of the game. And then I'm very unhappy because reload Terraria and all 30+ mods (which takes forever), I could try disabling The Calamity Mod. And for reloading mods I just exit the game, because hitting the reload mods button = Game cashing 9 out 10 times =:(= the f***?
[doublepost=1532498043,1532497814][/doublepost]BTW any Example config I've tried give me the same problem. Sad face. ):

[doublepost=1532498043,1532497814][/doublepost]BTW any Example config I've tried give me the same problem. Sad face. ):
So chances are high two mods don't like each other. Could you test without other mods running?

:confused::confused::joy:It isn't working for me It just dose the normal generation. Or I might just be stupid.:joy::confused::confused:
Did you entered as a world name something starting with "?" ? e.g.:
?MyWorldName

Or do you also have world previewer active? Those don't work together.

Last edited:
So chances are high two mods don't like each other. Could you test without other mods running?

?MyWorldName

Or do you also have world previewer active? Does don't work together.

Lol that may be my problem too ok i'll try running it without world previewer on XD

:confused::confused::joy:It isn't working for me It just dose the normal generation. Or I might just be stupid.:joy::confused::confused:
That was a bug which should be fixed now. But it only happened if you didn't insert a "?" in world name. In that case the normal world gen should start. But cause of this bug it didn't.
Now you should be able to do normal world gen and seed search if entered "?".

Should I change it that you don't need to insert "?" and it always runs the seed search if you start world gen?

a question how does the interface open?
Hi, I didn't force Terraria to open this all the time (in case you don't want to).
To enter the modified world generation: start you world name or seed with "?", e.g. ?MyWorld or just write ? there.
If it still don't work, disable other mods and reload all active mods. It won't work together with e.g. World Gen. Preview mod. But is should work with most (but you can't search for mod content).

Please respond back if it work now.

Some more details:
Anything which starts with "?", e.g.:
?myWorlldName
?mapname
?seed
?1337
?e.g.
?all of those should work
?but you can
? also write just
?

If you write anything after "?" it will take this as initial value.
?myWorlldName---> also set world name to "myWorlldName"
if you write ? in seed option it will use it as a seed as well
?1337 ---> initial seed is 1337

(only one "?" at world name or seed is needed)

Is there a discord for this? would be awesome for sharing these seeds!
There is no official discord (I know off).
But there is thread about nice seeds: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/share-your-map-seed-pc-1-3-4-beyond.51428/
Some seed which may be good for speedrun were also shard at the terraria speedrun discord server. But they wait for next update before starting some new experiments.

You can also share nice seeds here. If you found something amazing, like 7 pyramids, I can quote you on top 2 post of this thread.
I'm not a common discord user. If you like, you can make some discord server about this. I will add it to main post.

What I am looking for and the filters don't exactly line up. So I end up churning maps most of the evening and then having to toss most of the candidates.
I'm hoping someone could see what I'm looking for and help me adjust my filters so I get better candidates or at least find them faster.

Here is what I"m looking for.
Large (I like big worlds I cannot lie).
Expert ( Why make a perfect base if it's not expert)
Crimson (Flesh Cloning Vat requires crimson at generation)

Average ground level below surface 250' (this is optional, digging to flatten the world sucks)
Average ground level above surface 80' (this is must have, because making the world taller sucks worse)

At least 1 altar between the dungeon and the Ocean, 2 or more preferred located in the Surface layer. (to make base complete crafting station area)

Evil
  • Dungeon Ocean is not evil.
  • No evil between dungeon entrance and Ocean
Dungeon
  • Has all 3 dungeon walls.
  • Has at least 1 spot that is within spawn range of all 3 dungeon walls. (suitable to make a dungeon all mobs grinder)
  • The further the dungeon is from the ocean the better gives me more room to build my base.
  • Dungeon entrance isn't exactly on the forced spawn location of Lunar Pillar.
Pillar 1: (1680, 40 above surface) or (5039' West, 80' Surface)
Pillar 2: (3360, 40 above surface) or (1679' West, 80' Surface)
Pillar 3: (5040, 40 above surface) or (1680' East, 80' Surface)
Pillar 4: (6720, 40 above surface) or (5040' East, 80' Surface)

Here is how I set my filters.

Phase 1
size :Large
difficulty: Expert
Evil : Crimson.
Moon Style Green (why not)
Hallow likely to be on dungeon side. (better than evil)

Phase 2.
Positives.
All Dungeon Walls
Evil only one side

Negatives.
Has evil Ocean
Evil Tiles for Ice

Phase 3.
Points carry over, no additional filters.

?MyWorldName

Or do you also have world previewer active? Those don't work together.

Another thing to check is make sure "use experimental features" is turned on in TModLoader settings, otherwise it won't matter if you put a ? in the world name, you never make it to world seed selection, which means the mod won't get triggered.

What I am looking for and the filters don't exactly line up. So I end up churning maps most of the evening and then having to toss most of the candidates.
I'm hoping someone could see what I'm looking for and help me adjust my filters so I get better candidates or at least find them faster.
So you want a base between dungeon and ocean. Will it be your main base or just a side base? If main base, what's the reason for? (just curious)

Mod made for base in mid. A base not in mid can get complicated to implement. Nonetheless there are some ways to filter.

toss most of the candidates
In section "omit rare" (above Phase 1) did you select "Omit All"? Else many worlds can get generated which don't have the probabilities you selected but have a rare world gen phenomena.
If you already did, are there some common properties you don't like of those tossed candidates?

Average ground level below surface 250' (this is optional, digging to flatten the world sucks)
Average ground level above surface 80' (this is must have, because making the world taller sucks worse)
To be clear with 250' (or 80') you mean the distance from the top of the surface (grass, trees) to the depth were you can't remove the wall anymore. If so, why above 80? You building a underground base (just curious)?
It's not exactly what you are looking for but in Phase 3 there is the option "Ground Distance". It's only the distance from your spawn location to underground layer.
There can be a >=40 in positive list and a >125 negative list.
But average ground level is a good idea for a new feature to search for. But besides that, if you want to flatten the world a feature something like ground high variation might be suitable for you too. Will think about it. It need some exceptions for trees, oceans, floating islands, corruption gorges.

At least 1 altar between the dungeon and the Ocean, 2 or more preferred located in the Surface layer. (to make base complete crafting station area)
There is an option "near Altar" in phase 3 but this only counts altars near spawn. I think altar between dungeon and ocean is too specific but I could add something like number of altars in surface layer.

Has at least 1 spot that is within spawn range of all 3 dungeon walls. (suitable to make a dungeon all mobs grinder)
As far as I know spawning dungeon enemies depend on the wall behind the player. So only one can be active at the same time. But you can still build one killing engine and just replace the players position. But what's the exact definition of such a spot? Can't see an efficient way to find those. Also do you need all items? I think a intersection of Slab and Brick wall would be enough. There you can get all shield items and gold from paladin. Also there is a small chance an enemy of another wall type does spawn (they added it in case you aren't lucky with walls). So independent of wall type if you farm long enough you will get all items.
Also the Possessed Hatchet from Golem is very useful for farming. You can just place yourself at top in a bigger hall (so they can spawn below you, at the border of dungeon, so below right/left) and auto-fire.

The further the dungeon is from the ocean the better gives me more room to build my base.
You can add "Distance Dungeon to mid" in negative list of Phase 2. But be careful most values are not possible (for large maps). Don't go too small. It's measured in blocks from mid of map to dungeon. So for large world the distance 4200 would be end of world.

Dungeon entrance isn't exactly on the forced spawn location of Lunar Pillar.
Pillar placement currently not part of the mod. Usually it has some random numbers in it, unless you block it. Not sure if such an option would be used by many.
But there is another way to archive that. As above you can insert option "Distance Dungeon to mid" but this time in positive list. E.g. in positive "Distance Dungeon to mid >= 1000" and in negative "Distance Dungeon to mid > 2500". This will guarantee a dungeon between (4200-2500=)1700 and (4200-1000=) 3200 (or other side). If those numbers too rough you can store the option list you made and edit it with a text editor to the wished number and load it again.

Points carry over, no additional filters.
If not insert anything in positive or negative this phase is skipped. If you add something and selected carry over it starts with the points from phase 2. In your case only 1 point is possible. If now you insert one positive and one negative in phase 3 it only need to fulfill on of those. If it fulfills the positive it has two points. The negative can only subtract one, so it end with one point and pass that phase. If negative is fulfilled (is not >) it won't subtract a point. So will end up with one point from from phase 2 and so pass also phase 3. Can get complicated^^. In most cases "start new" is the better option. But if you didn't select anything in positive or negative list it does not matter.

Another thing to check is make sure "use experimental features" is turned on in TModLoader settings, otherwise it won't matter if you put a ? in the world name, you never make it to world seed selection, which means the mod won't get triggered.
Thanks for that bug report. That will be changed in next update.

Last edited:
So you want a base between dungeon and ocean. Will it be your main base or just a side base? If main base, what's the reason for? (just curious)

Primary reason is Fishing. Since I can't move the Ocean to mid, easier to move base to Ocean. Having main base at ocean means I can put all the artificial fising biomes very close to the base. Then the dungeon is right there for dungeon crate fishing.

Secondary Reason. Arena. By building an Ocean Arena, I can farm all events and bosses in one place except Cultist (at the dungeon entrance) lunar pillars, and Plantera, (enrage danger if I bring her up that high) By having My NPC's in the area (within 186 horizontal blocks) it means I can fight events at the arena, so that Pirate invasions become sell sustaining. because I can farm pirate maps from the pirate invasion.

In section "omit rare" (above Phase 1) did you select "Omit All"? Else many worlds can get generated which don't have the probabilities you selected but have a rare world gen phenomena.
If you already did, are there some common properties you don't like of those tossed candidates?
Yah that was the first thing I did. Omit ALL, forgot to list it.

My most common problem I discarded worlds for was Dungeon wall types, all three would exist but one of them wouldn't be in range of a junction of the other two. (between 62 and 84 blocks horizontal, and 34 and 45 blocks vertical for my screen resolution) This is always the first thing I check, So I lost slightly more than half the worlds for that.

The next problem I discarded worlds for was Missing Altars. Normally there is a line of altars at 8' surface, I prefer a double altar, at that height somewheres between 250 blocks from the edge of map (Just past ocean biome) and the Dungeon entrance.

I like a surface altar near the spawn, but really I make a rush for the dungeon ocean the moment I have 35 cobwebs for a bed, so in practice never use it.

My last most common problem I discarded world for was. Ground elevation. This problem actually affects most the worlds, but given how difficult it is, my willingness to work with less than decent increased quite a bit.

To be clear with 250' (or 80') you mean the distance from the top of the surface (grass, trees) to the depth were you can't remove the wall anymore. If so, why above 80? You building a underground base (just curious)?

I typically level the entire world at exactly 80' surface height. (except my oceans I bring their surface higher so that walking mobs like crabs and zombies can time out and despawn from my ocean grinders. This gives me plenty of room to put my oceans above my ground line (so I can harvest coral from the ocean floor) without having my ocean surface in danger of harpies or wyverns.

The 80' height is the height I force the lunar pillars to spawn at and it makes them look more natural if they are at ground height.
if the average height is less than that I have to make the world taller, and if it's more than that I have to make it shorter.

It's not exactly what you are looking for but in Phase 3 there is the option "Ground Distance". It's only the distance from your spawn location to underground layer.
There can be a >=40 in positive list and a >125 negative list.
But average ground level is a good idea for a new feature to search for. But besides that, if you want to flatten the world a feature something like ground high variation might be suitable for you too. Will think about it. It need some exceptions for trees, oceans, floating islands, corruption gorges.

Yah I found and tried that filter after I posted. Unfortunately, When I added it, my number of seeds searched before I got out of memory error shrunk from 600-800 seeds down to 200-300 seeds when I enabled them. So I ended up turning it back off and just kept checking by hand after the fact. In my particular case Cliffs and jagged surfaces are completely fine, just means less digging for me. Average ground height is all thats important. (having to discard literally 1/2 a million dirt blocks dug with a reaver shark sucks)

There is an option "near Altar" in phase 3 but this only counts altars near spawn. I think altar between dungeon and ocean is too specific but I could add something like number of altars in surface layer.
Specifically what I'm looking for is altar in surface layer between 250 blocks and 400 blocks from map edge. the closer to 250 the better. Number of altars would likely be more useful to others.

As far as I know spawning dungeon enemies depend on the wall behind the player. So only one can be active at the same time
But what's the exact definition of such a spot? Can't see an efficient way to find those.
Having a dungeon wall behind players switches the game from regular mobs to dungeon spawn.
Having a certain Dungeon wall behind the tile above spawn surface selects which dungeon mob to spawn.

on a screen resolution of 1920x1080, that means there is a box somewhere that is 168 wide by 94 tall that contains all three dungeon background wall types.

I actually use a teleport system and actuated spawn surfaces so I can individually turn each spawn surface on or off to grind whatever I'm looking for, from one kill box.
Normally I don't need to use it very long.. but it's part of my "ultimate world" so that I have a grinder to farm everything I possible can.

You can add "Distance Dungeon to mid" in negative list of Phase 2. But be careful most values are not possible (for large maps). Don't go too small. It's measured in blocks from mid of map to dungeon. So for large world the distance 4200 would be end of world.
On futrther thought this isn't critical, I can work with any distance. If it's too close to the ocean, I move my base to the other side, and just make lunar cultist and skeletron part of my arena, if it's a middle distance, I'll just put my fragile biomes on the ocean side and my hardier biomes on the other.

Pillar placement currently not part of the mod. Usually it has some random numbers in it, unless you block it. Not sure if such an option would be used by many.
But there is another way to archive that. As above you can insert option "Distance Dungeon to mid" but this time in positive list. E.g. in positive "Distance Dungeon to mid >= 1000" and in negative "Distance Dungeon to mid > 2500". This will guarantee a dungeon between (4200-2500=)1700 and (4200-1000=) 3200 (or other side). If those numbers too rough you can store the option list you made and edit it with a text editor to the wished number and load it again.

I'll be forcing all the pillars to fixed locations, I've never had to discard a map for this reason, it's just one of those things I have check before it gets "approved". the odds are very low it comes into play because we are really only talking about less than 20 horizontal blocks that can't be at 4 particular x,y coordinates, within 35 vertically and give or take 10 horizontally.

If not insert anything in positive or negative this phase is skipped. If you add something and selected carry over it starts with the points from phase 2. In your case only 1 point is possible. If now you insert one positive and one negative in phase 3 it only need to fulfill on of those. If it fulfills the positive it has two points. The negative can only subtract one, so it end with one point and pass that phase. If negative is fulfilled (is not >) it won't subtract a point. So will end up with one point from from phase 2 and so pass also phase 3. Can get complicated^^. In most cases "start new" is the better option. But if you didn't select anything in positive or negative list it does not matter.

I only selected carry over, because I had no phase 3 filters and the first 600 seeds I checked failed to find any candidates and I was afraid because it couldn't earn points in phase 3 it was discarding them, now that I know the rules I can go back to default "start over".

In conclusion, I know I'm looking for a very specific set of conditions and it's not exactly what most people that use your mod are looking for. Most people usually go for base centered around the spawn point, for obvious reasons. I thank you for taking the time to reply and give me some pointers, clarifying a few things and taking an interest in my little project.
For what it's worth, your mod is the only reason I've ever installed TModloader, and it's the only mod I've ever installed in my 1800 hours of Terraria, so take it as a compliment you have such a useful mod that I couldn't do without it. (Of course when I find my stable seed I'll be uninstalling both again, love my vanilla)

Primary reason is Fishing. Since I can't move the Ocean to mid, easier to move base to Ocean. Having main base at ocean means I can put all the artificial fising biomes very close to the base. Then the dungeon is right there for dungeon crate fishing.
Hehe, I also like fishing. After Angler update I made some beach house connected with teleport to my main base in mid and to artificial fishing biomes.
But I'm playing small worlds and stay in mid with my base. No big deal to walk from mid to ocean.
Why should I make a large world if all I want exist in a small world? What do you miss in small worlds?

Yah I found and tried that filter after I posted. Unfortunately, When I added it, my number of seeds searched before I got out of memory error shrunk from 600-800 seeds down to 200-300 seeds when I enabled them. So I ended up turning it back off and just kept checking by hand after the fact. In my particular case Cliffs and jagged surfaces are completely fine, just means less digging for me. Average ground height is all thats important. (having to discard literally 1/2 a million dirt blocks dug with a reaver shark sucks)
out of memory? full hard drive? Or error in Terraria/Mod?
Also out of memory after those 200-300 with enabled?

Having a dungeon wall behind players switches the game from regular mobs to dungeon spawn.
Having a certain Dungeon wall behind the tile above spawn surface selects which dungeon mob to spawn.
Whoops, mixed it up. Thanks for correct me. Haven't farmed in dungeon for a while.

on a screen resolution of 1920x1080, that means there is a box somewhere that is 168 wide by 94 tall that contains all three dungeon background wall types.
Something like this counts as well?
Capture 2018-09-28 22_12_03.png
Sometimes near blocks have other wall underneath. I mined caves at left and right side. Left side had a wall type which was not adjacent without blocks on top.
As human quite easy to find. But if PC/mod should find it, it can get tricky. E.g. if I do the naive way and test for every wall block (~75,000 in large world) if there are two other wall types somewhere in range +/- 84 times +/- 47 that would be 75,000*168*94 > 1 billion computation tasks. That would take some time to compute. It also doesn't consider the case that those wall regions may have only very small area or bad alignment.
There are many ways to detect it faster. Will think about it.
E.g. I think best would be if they are in horizontal or vertical line. If horizontal there need to be a dungeon-wall spot on top of it, so they can spawn below. If vertical the dungeon-wall spot need to be same height as upper wall and with large enough distance. So for each wall tile you only need to check the wall tiles directly to the left/right or top/bottom. Given this the computation tasks are reduced to 75,000*(168+94) ~= 20 million. Furthermore those wall areas should have some size, so not each wall tile need to be checked.
There might be also the case that all 3 walls intersect each other at one point. This case is cheap to check (<750k). This may not detect all cases but the most good one.

On futrther thought this isn't critical, I can work with any distance. If it's too close to the ocean, I move my base to the other side, and just make lunar cultist and skeletron part of my arena, if it's a middle distance, I'll just put my fragile biomes on the ocean side and my hardier biomes on the other.
You can use >3000 then if you like to not collide with Pillars.

I only selected carry over, because I had no phase 3 filters and the first 600 seeds I checked failed to find any candidates and I was afraid because it couldn't earn points in phase 3 it was discarding them, now that I know the rules I can go back to default "start over".
Large world search can take some time. But to be fair about 500 were skipped in phase 1 with moon type (1 out of 3) and hallow side (1 of 2). So only about 100 were checked in phase 2. But don't care about skipped worlds in Phase 1. It's very fast and you won't run out of seeds.
I think "Evil only one side" is rare and "Evil Tiles for Ice" quite rare for large worlds.

Another thing to check is make sure "use experimental features" is turned on in TModLoader settings, otherwise it won't matter if you put a ? in the world name, you never make it to world seed selection, which means the mod won't get triggered
Tried to reproduce it but it worked for me also with "use experimental features" off. Will have a look into code tomorrow or next days and check there.

For what it's worth, your mod is the only reason I've ever installed TModloader, and it's the only mod I've ever installed in my 1800 hours of Terraria, so take it as a compliment you have such a useful mod that I couldn't do without it. (Of course when I find my stable seed I'll be uninstalling both again, love my vanilla)
Oh thanks, good to hear. Also fan of vanilla. First this mod was only a mod of world viewer Tedit, later I changed Terraria.exe file itself (ported code from my Tedit mod). Later I read more details about TModLoader and ported it again (it contains parts which hardly need some code rewriting^^). Only installed TModLoader to make this mod public. I hoped other find some nice world seeds because you can't test all yourself. So this was also my first mod at TModLoader :).
With time I tested some other mods. People did some great work and put a lot of effort in it. But somehow most mods are unbalanced (nearly impossible to avoid) and introduce some kind of cheating or items which aren't needed for anything (just duplication). In the end I play much less Terraria now because it got boring. Whichever item/enemy problem you have you can just install a mod which solves this. No need to grind resources or building an arena anymore.
But that's only my opinion. It seems many like the mod item content.
Just for fun I made another mod which places a basic base in world generation ("Start with base") on top of player spawn. Didn't though anyone except me would use it. Now that mod is used by at least 5 times more people and it took less than a tenth time to make than this seed search mod. So my thinking about mods don't seem to be common.
Nice to meet someone else who like this mod more than content mods and prefer playing vanilla.
But out of curiosity how did you knew about the existence of that mod?

Why should I make a large world if all I want exist in a small world? What do you miss in small worlds?

Utimately I end up with Massive bases, By the time I make all my farms, generators, fishing biomes, All the houses needed for the painter to get all items,
It's really very cramped in a small world, a medium can fit it in, but it looks much better in a large.

out of memory? full hard drive? Or error in Terraria/Mod?
Also out of memory after those 200-300 with enabled?
Ubuntu 18.04, Steam,
Terraria version 1.3.5.2
TModLoaderver version 0.10.1.5
Terraria seed project version 0.2.0.4
32 Gigs Ram started with 4/32 in use crashed with 15/32 in use.
170GB filespace available.

Out of memory
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object:__icall_wrapper_mono_array_new_2 (intptr,intptr,intptr)
at TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch.analyzeWorld (TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch+ScoreWorld score, TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch+generatorInfo genInfo, System.Boolean doFull) [0x00636] in <a25f71ea15444edaad30579e2ee8c529>:0
at TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch.Initialize () [0x00baa] in <a25f71ea15444edaad30579e2ee8c529>:0
at Terraria.ModLoader.WorldHooks.SetupWorld () [0x00014] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.clearWorld () [0x005fb] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_worldGenCallBack (System.Object threadContext) [0x00015] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.worldGenCallBack (System.Object threadContext) [0x00000] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0

Something like this counts as well?
View attachment 210439
Sometimes near blocks have other wall underneath.
E.g. I think best would be if they are in horizontal or vertical line
There might be also the case that all 3 walls intersect each other at one point
Perfectly fine, just raise character up, and it would work a treat.
yah, have to use a good map viewer so you can see see the wall underneath, or you chunk some perfectly good maps.

Another thing to consider any dungeon walls above level surface don't count at all.

All three in a line less than 168 wide, or 94 tall makes the Grinder construction super easy and the only false positive would be if there wasn't any dungeon wall at slightly less than half the distance Perpendicular to the midpoint of the line. E.g. on the 168 horizontal line containing all three you would need any dungeon wall 36-46 blocks above or below the line.

In my experience the intersection of all three is very rare of dungeons containing all three. because you would basically be looking for 4 squares containing 3 wall types. which usually only happens when the background wall behind the bricks doesn't match the walls of two adjoining rooms.

Large world search can take some time. But to be fair about 500 were skipped in phase 1 with moon type (1 out of 3) and hallow side (1 of 2). So only about 100 were checked in phase 2. But don't care about skipped worlds in Phase 1. It's very fast and you won't run out of seeds.
I think "Evil only one side" is rare and "Evil Tiles for Ice" quite rare for large worlds.
I dropped the moon requirement, I loaded up a green world moon.. wasn't impressed.
I dropped the Evil tiles for Ice, kept evil one side.

I think I'm going to have to drop down to medium size worlds. I can search thousands in the time it takes to do hundreds of large worlds, I go much longer without memory errors.

Tried to reproduce it but it worked for me also with "use experimental features" off. Will have a look into code tomorrow or next days and check there.
could I be using an out of date version?
Could it be an issue with linux version instead of Windows?
Edit. Just confirmed turned use experimental features back off and named world "?" didn't trigger mod.

But out of curiosity how did you knew about the existence of that mod?
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/share-your-map-seed-pc-1-3-4-beyond.51428
I'm actually on page 10.. Unfortunately My binary seed on windows doesn't generate the same on linux, I think it's because it's text instead of a number.. but you would know better than I do on that score.

That thread comes up fairly often at https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/new/
the Thread leads to the mod.. and here I am.

Update.

Changing my filters based on you suggestions has gotten me some much better candidates. Along with the world size change to Medium, I'm happy to report search has been running nonstop for a little over 24 hours with no memory errors and over 2,000 seeds checked and a dozen solid candidates so far. Thanks for all your help.

Here is my new configuration.
Code:
#### The Terraria Seed Project ####
World size: Medium
Difficulty: Expert
Evil type: Crimson
Config file name: config
World Name: SeedSearch
Starting seed search at: 20000
Search until starting seed +: 10000
Stop search if found: 100
Store mini map as picture: Off
Store stats for each seed: Off
/VVVVVVV omit rare VVVVVVV/
Omit All
*VVVVVVV naming order VVVVVVV*
Size, evil type, difficulty
Seed
Fantasy score

### Phase 1 ###
Pyramids possible: 0
Copper or Tin: Random
Iron or Lead: Random
Silver or Tungsten: Random
Gold or Platinum: Random
Moon type: Random
Hallow biome side: Random

### Phase 2 ###
+VVVVVVV positive if >= VVVVVVV+
Evil only one side: 1
All Dungeon Walls: 250
-VVVVVVV negative if > VVVVVVV-
Evil Tiles for Jungle Grass: 8000
Evil Tiles for Ice: 8000
Has evil Ocean: 0

### Phase 3 ###
Takeover positive: Start new
Near Altar: 2
Ground Distance: 75

Last edited:
Update
v0.2.1.0:

• average surface height (due caves and holes it's only a very close approximation)
  • surface height (sqrt) variation (sqrt( E( (X - mean)^2 )))
  • surface, max difference between min and max height
  • altar detection for your beach house "Nearest Altar Dungeon/Jungle beach"
  • shows altar at surface which don't stay on evil biome (blue circle at map)
  • you can also search for a specific ocean not being evil now "Has evil Dungeon/Jungle Ocean"
  • "Dungeon farm spot" detection (beta). Searches for good location with all 3 wall types near by
    • Search for 3 Wall intersection points (cyan circle at minimap)
    • Search for a line containing all 3 Wall with at least 16 block size each (dark cyan circle at minimap)

Ubuntu 18.04, Steam,
Terraria version 1.3.5.2
TModLoaderver version 0.10.1.5
32 Gigs Ram started with 4/32 in use crashed with 15/32 in use.
170GB filespace available.

Out of memory
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object:__icall_wrapper_mono_array_new_2 (intptr,intptr,intptr)
at TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch.analyzeWorld (TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch+ScoreWorld score, TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch+generatorInfo genInfo, System.Boolean doFull) [0x00636] in <a25f71ea15444edaad30579e2ee8c529>:0
at TheTerrariaSeedProject.WorldGenSeedSearch.Initialize () [0x00baa] in <a25f71ea15444edaad30579e2ee8c529>:0
at Terraria.ModLoader.WorldHooks.SetupWorld () [0x00014] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.clearWorld () [0x005fb] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_worldGenCallBack (System.Object threadContext) [0x00015] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
at Terraria.WorldGen.worldGenCallBack (System.Object threadContext) [0x00000] in <e24c815ea5d749ca88f366401db4a98a>:0
Strange, that should not happen there. I also tested for linux some times. I did some test with nearly 3000 large world without any error (but did on Winows). Also have less RAM than you. I added some lines which should not be needed but maybe it helps. If it happen again with new update, can you watch the memory consumption during run time with some kind of task manager and check if the consumption gets greater with run time.
Sometimes there is also some info in "..\Terraria\ModLoader\TheTerrariaSeedProject\debug.txt".

----------
Edit: I did some more tests on linux. I also got that error for large maps. Somehow linux uses more memory than windows. So far I could not find the reason for it but there is some workaround. You need to start Terraria in 64 bit mode. Add -x64 as flag to do so. It uses some more memory as is should but at least it is working until I found the reason.

-----edit end----

In my experience the intersection of all three is very rare of dungeons containing all three. because you would basically be looking for 4 squares containing 3 wall types. which usually only happens when the background wall behind the bricks doesn't match the walls of two adjoining rooms.
I added some intersection detection with new update (cyan circles at mini map). Fun fact: It's very common on small worlds. Nearly every world has at least one. It's more rare on large maps (at least as far I tested).
Also added detection of 3 walls in a line, with at least 16 blocks width each and at least 7 height. The mid wall also has some max size of ~56. So you also should be able to stay on top left or right (mid as well) and have always all walls on screen. That's quite rare on small and large worlds. I skipped vertically because unless your are not at the end of world, you can't view the npc's you are killing.
So it won't find all possible spots but it should find some good one.
It's in also in beta state. If you find some spot which should have been detected or some detected which isn't one please report me.

I dropped the moon requirement, I loaded up a green world moon.. wasn't impressed.
I dropped the Evil tiles for Ice, kept evil one side.
About phase 1 filters you should not care that much. They are fast. Except if you select a high value for pyramids possible. I also suggest you to change "Pyramids possible:" to e.g. 4-6 for large worlds unless you don't like pyramids. This will increase the chance of having one.

I think I'm going to have to drop down to medium size worlds. I can search thousands in the time it takes to do hundreds of large worlds, I go much longer without memory errors.
Another way to search fast is to start Terraria multiple times if you have a CPU with multiple cores/threads. You can view your CPU usage and see how many possible. But don't do too many (it can get slower again). I did 5 with a 4 core/8 thread CPU. Don't forget to start each with a different seed.

could I be using an out of date version?
Could it be an issue with linux version instead of Windows?
Edit. Just confirmed turned use experimental features back off and named world "?" didn't trigger mod.

I'm actually on page 10.. Unfortunately My binary seed on windows doesn't generate the same on linux, I think it's because it's text instead of a number.. but you would know better than I do on that score.
Until now it was the current version. I also playing the linux version most times. I also could not reproduce it on linux. Also the code don't look like it's possible^^.
Asking about the "?" is nearly the first thing this mod does. Did you something else special? like selecting multiplayer. Or did you downloaded mod on linux?
Does it work with new update?

Sadly world generation is bugged and linux and Win produce slightly different worlds. Also if the seed number is too big or containing non-number digits linux and win generate completely different worlds. (hash value of the seed is different in mono @linux and mac)
Because most people have Win I used win for seed search most times (to share results).

Changing my filters based on you suggestions has gotten me some much better candidates. Along with the world size change to Medium, I'm happy to report search has been running nonstop for a little over 24 hours with no memory errors and over 2,000 seeds checked and a dozen solid candidates so far. Thanks for all your help.
Hehe, also did several runs like this. But be careful, some seed also don't work in vanilla world gen and so also the mod can freeze or crash.

Store mini map as picture: Off
Store stats for each seed: Off
Did you try this? This will store a mini-map picture with some more information. Now it also contains the spots in dungeon containing 3 walls.
Storing stats is useful to look up later on. It's txt file with all information about this map and your search.

### Phase 1 ###
Pyramids possible: 0
Copper or Tin: Random
Iron or Lead: Random
Silver or Tungsten: Random
Gold or Platinum: Random
Moon type: Random
Hallow biome side: Random
If you do some long time runs, don't care about selecting stuff you like here. It takes less than a second to check. Only avoid high "Pyramids possible:" values.

### Phase 2 ###
Has evil Ocean: 0
Now you can also search for no evil biome in ocean at dungeon side. Can go a little faster (higher chance). Except you also care about the ocean on jungle side.

### Phase 3 ###
Near Altar: 2
I skipped the option of total altar count. Instead I added an option which allows you to search for the nearest altar near a specific beach. "Nearest Altar Dungeon beach"
is the distance from end of ocean (water->sand) to first altar in surface layer.

I did some tests with new update but can't guarantee all is working as it should be. So do not hesitate writing if something behave strange. Have fun seed searching.
Also can you find something you are looking for with new surface height/variance/maxDist options? Or some ideas to measure it better?

Edit:
v0.2.1.1: bugfix: out of memory at linux large world search. edit: still don't work. Start Terraria with -x64 flag for 64bit mode.
v0.2.2.0:
-added some +profiles for speedrun and flat map and nearly impossible perfect search
-pathlength also available as negative pathlength, so you can also use it in positive part of phase 3.
-added nearest slime statue, shark statue, anvil
-minimap shows also slime statue (king slime icon), shark statue (minishark icon), anvil (anvil icon) and ruby gem (red with magenta surrounding)
-bugfix: out of memory at linux large world search. Should work now at least without
minimap picture generation
-bugfix: sunflower, not all variations worked so far

Last edited:
Just a small update but due to request I made some
. There you can share your seeds, ask questions, suggest new features or just do some random seed talking.

update v0.2.2.3
-added the ability to change the seed cycle step size. Which allows you e.g. to generate one seed multiple times to show the variations of that seed (due to bugged vanilla world gen) or if you want to cycle the seed not in last index, e.g. if you want to find a seed which ends with 42. High values are some sort of randomness to avoid that people search in nearby region.
-improv. detection of seeds which change their appearance during seed search
-adv. feature: custom world size: you can edit the config file of your stored setting. Exchange small/normal/large with e.g. 4000x3000 to generate world with 4000 width and 2000 height. So far max values are large world with 8400x2400. If values too small world gen can make some errors. For larger sizes download "large world enabler" mod.

update v0.2.2.4
bugfix of update v0.2.2.3 not supporting old configs

Last edited:
Maybe posting here will help me...

I am not a native English speaker so some of the options and what they do confuse me, but is there anything in there that makes me able to filter worlds by spawnpoint? I am looking desperately for a large corruption world in which I spawn in a snow biome and I'm ready to murder someone for it at this point as basically 24 hours of map generating hasn't given me anything despite the fact that I know by now that it's possible to spawn in snow even in a large world.
I googled and found this thread here and tested the mod, but couldn't find what I was looking for in the menu, even though there's so many options for far more specific stuff, so maybe I'm just overlooking it? @Unftf am I just blind? Sorry for my maybe really bad English making me too dumb to understand the option I am looking for...

Maybe posting here will help me...

I am not a native English speaker so some of the options and what they do confuse me, but is there anything in there that makes me able to filter worlds by spawnpoint? I am looking desperately for a large corruption world in which I spawn in a snow biome and I'm ready to murder someone for it at this point as basically 24 hours of map generating hasn't given me anything despite the fact that I know by now that it's possible to spawn in snow even in a large world.
I googled and found this thread here and tested the mod, but couldn't find what I was looking for in the menu, even though there's so many options for far more specific stuff, so maybe I'm just overlooking it? @Unftf am I just blind? Sorry for my maybe really bad English making me too dumb to understand the option I am looking for...
There are several ways to search for.
1.)In phase 2, positive list there is an option called "Snow biome surface overlap mid". At this time the exact spawn position is not know. But chance is high it is very close to the mid of the world. It counts how many snow/ice tiles are at the jungle side of the world. If you only want to spawn very near to snow biome a value of 10 would be sufficient in most cases. If you higher the value the deeper you spawn in snow biome. But also the chances get less and less and search time will increase. For large worlds you should not care about this. They have a high surface distance and so many snow biome tiles in there. You can select 10,000 as value there. I mostly search for small worlds and there 10,000 is more than needed. I will higher that value in next update, thanks for that hint.
2.)In negative part there is an option "Snow biome distance to mid". It counts how many tiles from mid to first snow tile. In current version smallest number is only 100. But you can edit this number if you save it in a config file and load it afterwards again. However it checks the distance of the whole snow biome which can also be underground. Will add some surface version and change those values in next update, thank you for that hint. If you edit the config file you can also higher the value from part 1.).
3.) Spawning in snow biome is considered as "rare". It will always output it unless you added it to the "omit rare" part. Many rares can get too common, so I suggest you to omit at least those:
upload_2018-10-21_9-7-41.png

If you don't change the naming order it will always add the rares it found to the world name. If some other rare occur too often you can add them as well. Somehow I missed to add "Spawn in snow biome" in phase 3 ( will add this in next update, thanks for that hint). With that you could just omit all and add spawn in snow biome.

So best way/fastest way is adding "Snow biome surface overlap mid" in phase 2, set value to 10,000 and select "Omit all" in omit rares or those showed in picture above. You can also store map as picture to fast view them (as in picture). Also interesting to view the stats of a seed. You can store them as well (as in picture). That is a normal text file. There you can search for e.g. "Snow biome surface overlap mid" and check how high the value is for a seed you found.

But why looking for a large world if all you want also exist in a medium or small world? Some main reason for making this mod was finding small worlds which offer the same as a large one. But do whatever you like. If you go for smaller world the value 10,000 may be too high.

During writing this I found seed 630000021,630000027 and 630000035 (large, normal, random, both). First two you are only at the edge (selected "Snow biome surface overlap mid:" >= 10, in the 3rd one you are not very deep and in a hole. I'm sure you find some better.
Just now I found 630000069. There you are quite deep in snow but evil biome (corruption) not placed that well. Maybe crimson looks better. Same as 630000035 it has a "Snow biome surface overlap mid"-value of about 10,000. But you spawn much deeper inside. The surface height has high impact in that value for large world. If you edit the value in config-file I suggest to go not much higher. Else you might miss some worlds with low surface level were you spawn very deep inside.

Have fun searching.

Last edited:
There are several ways to search for.
Thank you so, so, so much for that very detailed and long explanation and the time it must have taken you to write this! I really, really appreciate that a ton as this will make things so much easier for me! Now that I know that this is possible, I will also add some other things like Hallow spawn on Jungle side to the search option to search for the perfect world - I never thought I would be able to ever be that picky, so this is really amazing!

But why looking for a large world if all you want also exist in a medium or small world?
I find large worlds feel more "realistic" and the biomes less smashed together, but the main reason for me is always height - I really like to build huge bases (towers, on top of living trees), sky bridges and sky arenas and having Harpies/Wyverns spawn as high as possible is always something I appreciate so that I don't have to worry about them getting in my way. Width-wise, a medium world would be more than enough, but the height keeps bothering me a lot there as well.

At any rate, this is the best mod ever and I'm so happy I found it! It would be awesome if you would actually also add "spawn in snow biome" in a future update for an even easier search - I don't know if other biomes are also wanted? Once I found myself spawning on a sky island, which was both awesome (there was a chest and all) and bad (had to fall with water to survive) at the same time. Maybe that's also something people might want for a possible chest or just for fun? While looking for seeds online I also found reports of someone spawning in the jungle once. If these things are possible and maybe popular for extra challenge, they might all be good additions.

Back
Top Bottom