Top 10 underappreciated features...

Recently, I started a new playthrough to celebrate Life [in general], and also, the Jungle being fixed in the upcoming Update(s). 🤔 ☕

While playing, it'd suddenly occurred to me that I had greatly underappreciated a good number of the newer features added in 1.4+. There's too many to name, so I reduced the number to Ten, to keep this post from being too obnoxious. Here are my Top Ten underappreciated features in 1.4+!

10.) Texture Packs. This one obviously speaks for itself, but it's still a nice surprise seeing an Enemy or Boss, and having to take a few moments to realize who or what they are, it's a brief feeling, but still, a rewarding feeling none-the-less!
Texture_Packs_09.01.2022.jpg

09.) Secret World Seeds. Yet another feature that should speak for itself, but I placed it here anyway, for a similar reason to Texture Packs; sometimes the surprises you come across from a Secret Seed World Gen, can range from downright wonky to utterly jaw-dropping!

08.) Mirrored Statues. This pretty much applies to all of the placeable furniture items that were giving the ability to be reversed, I'd actually forgotten this feature was added while placing clutter in some of my NPC homes, only to be reminded that I was allowed to be nitpicky about which direction the Sword Statue was pointing; now it symbolizes that a Sharpening Stations is nearby in all of my Worlds!

07.) Boss Relics. To be honest, it was always possible to make pretty cool-looking Trophy Rooms in Terraria, but there's just something exceptional about having golden, shiny, animated Boss Statues that glimmer! These bad-boiz would make any Trophy Room look good on their own merit, even if you were a terrible builder.

06.) Cracked Dungeon Bricks. Though I do think this newer feature could be improved, it's undeniable that having the floor suddenly fall-out from under you adds something quite special and unique to the game! Recently I even discovered that pre-Hardmode Wings can't save you if don't react quick enough, lest you bonk your head on stray Bricks and fall to your doom [Grappling Hooks anyone?]! 🐶

05.) Magic Conch/ Demon Conch. Forget what most have to say about the 1.4+, Underground Desert, it's totally worth going there as early as possible! With the addition of granted benefits for making Town NPCs happy [Pylons, Gold], fishing and reduced Enemy Spawns near Town, this nifty lil' Item gets you started in the right direction, almost immediately [after obtaining it]; you'll have your Pylon Network in no time!

04.) Sitting/ Sleeping. Simple additions, I know, but what a lovely way to AFK, don't you agree?

03.) Squirrel Hook. I initially ignored this item, because at the time, there were just too many Grappling Hooks in the game for my taste, or at least that's what I assumed. If you don't know about this item, like I didn't, give it a try, it's fun!

02.) Scarab Bomb(s). I don't know why I don't use these Bombs more often, they're extremely good! I just can't seem to keep enough of 'em with me, to use when they'd really come in handy. This is an Item I know is good, but I haven't been able to play around with as much as I'd like to! I'll eventually have to make a concerted effort to incorporate them into my gameplay in the near future, but that's also why they made this list!

01.) Food Items. I'm not entirely sure how this new addition can be fully appreciated outside of Journey Mode, but being able to choose your favorite Food Item as a reliable Buff, among your collection of specialized Buff Potions, is a great feeling! I also think that the value these items add to Terraria's Building Mechanics is staggering! An Ice Cream Shop that actually sells Ice Cream...?? What a treat!

You don't need 10 features, or even Five, just tell me One underappreciated feature you have in Terraria!

Block Swap - Or to be more specific, chest and dresser replacement. Although I haven't played the game before the journey's end update, I haven't known about this feature for a good amount of time, and it always has been a pain in the neck to place a "temporary" chest to change the style of a chest I want.

Number 4 and 8 along with block swap get my thumbs up if I knew how to do that emoticon. I would have to go through the prior updates to pick out something new but I haven’t played the journey‘s end update or after yet (I’m waiting to get a tv to play on pc but I might try on switch).

Edit: I got it…the whole happiness/village system for the npcs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom