Working as Designed Torch God's Favor torch swap doesn't work in Ocean (Doesn't convert to Coral torches)

Lythael

The Destroyer
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Intended or a bug?
I'm asking cause it still converts to bone torches and demon torches in Dungeon / Underworld despite these torches not having any effect on luck.
Yet it doesn't work for Ocean's coral torches which do have positive luck in that biome.

I heard it's intended because Coral torches works underwater. Which would be too convenient.

Wrong, check my posting. Coral torches get placed inside sky lakes, which makes no sense, since it is not ocean.

sorry, Autoselect made my coral torches selected, even though i had normal torches further left/up.

Last edited:
Yep, Auto Select will choose a glowstick, or a Coral/Cursed/Ichor torch (whichever of these is further top-left in the inventory).

Where did you hear that ? This would apply to bone torches for forest/caverns too then.

Bone torches can't be placed underwater like how Coral Torches can. The small amount of luck bone torches can give is less of a concern compared to how it would be easy to get Coral Torches without needing to mass farm Coral for them for their ability to be placed underwater.

Bone torches can't be placed underwater like how Coral Torches can. The small amount of luck bone torches can give is less of a concern compared to how it would be easy to get Coral Torches without needing to mass farm Coral for them for their ability to be placed underwater.

ok, maybe i miss something here and you can give me a clue.

Ocean gives you pirate maps, jellyfish necklace, shark fin. So you get abit coral, make 20-30 coral torches and place them at ocean floor and more you dont need.
The major part of the game is not ocean, so i dont see that as a concern.

ok, maybe i miss something here and you can give me a clue.

Ocean gives you pirate maps, jellyfish necklace, shark fin. So you get abit coral, make 20-30 coral torches and place them at ocean floor and more you dont need.
The major part of the game is not ocean, so i dont see that as a concern.

With biome torch swap if it worked with coral torches, you could keep placing regular torches down in the ocean biome, then mine them up after they convert to Coral to get them without needing coral to craft them. From there you could easily have a full stack of 999 or more coral torches in little time to use throughout the rest of the world.

Previously Cursed & Ichor Torches were the only torches that worked underwater and they are only obtainable in Hardmode. The Coral Torches can be obtained as soon as the player enters the Ocean in Pre-Hardmode. It's made harder to get Ocean Torches so they aren't used all the time.

The Ocean Torch not working with Biome torch swap was brought up to the developers and it is confirmed that it is intentional.

My own speculation on this (and it doesn't mean this was the exact reason why this decision was made) is that they don't want torches that can be placed underwater to be too easy to get until Hardmode. I don't know if this is the main reason, or if there is another reason as well. But due to the prior existence of Cursed & Ichor Torches, I can understand if this is part of the reasoning for it.

With biome torch swap if it worked with coral torches, you could keep placing regular torches down in the ocean biome, then mine them up after they convert to Coral to get them without needing coral to craft them. From there you could easily have a full stack of 999 or more coral torches in little time to use throughout the rest of the world.

Previously Cursed & Ichor Torches were the only torches that worked underwater and they are only obtainable in Hardmode. The Coral Torches can be obtained as soon as the player enters the Ocean in Pre-Hardmode. It's made harder to get Ocean Torches so they aren't used all the time.

The Ocean Torch not working with Biome torch swap was brought up to the developers and it is confirmed that it is intentional.

My own speculation on this (and it doesn't mean this was the exact reason why this decision was made) is that they don't want torches that can be placed underwater to be too easy to get until Hardmode. I don't know if this is the main reason, or if there is another reason as well. But due to the prior existence of Cursed & Ichor Torches, I can understand if this is part of the reasoning for it.

ok, i get some of your explanation, but why would i make "xxx coral torches to use throughout the rest world",
if 1) i only would use them very rarely for big pools of water and 2) they give negative torch luck in the rest of the world ?

ok, i get some of your explanation, but why would i make "xxx coral torches to use throughout the rest world",
if 1) i only would use them very rarely for big pools of water and 2) they give negative torch luck in the rest of the world ?
Negative torch luck no longer exists. Only positive torch luck. The other reason you stated is still a big benefit.

Negative torch luck no longer exists. Only positive torch luck. The other reason you stated is still a big benefit.
Yes and no.
Torches still reduce luck. They just can't reduce it to less than 0.
A torch put in the wrong place still reduces your luck, to a minimum of 0.

Yes and no.
Torches still reduce luck. They just can't reduce it to less than 0.
A torch put in the wrong place still reduces your luck, to a minimum of 0.

Maybe you misunderstood the wiki. It is only "torch luck" which gets reduced and then set back to a minimum of zero. So this is only about different torches, which affect the player.

Wrong placed torch( zero torch luck) + garden gnome is still positive total luck.

How would it be 'too convenient'? Coral can be farmed infinitely, so it would only save time farming.
Probably because it would add a feature that's unintentional for Torch God Favor? It just change torches to match the biome. Not to grant the ability to place torches underwater.

I personally would've removed the underwater feature so they could still be placed in the ocean though.

Maybe you misunderstood the wiki. It is only "torch luck" which gets reduced and then set back to a minimum of zero. So this is only about different torches, which affect the player.

Wrong placed torch( zero torch luck) + garden gnome is still positive total luck.

You're right. I went back over how the calculations were done, and worked it out from there. So torches only cancel one another out (1 normal torch in an ice biome and one ice torch would be cancelled to zero, not turned to -1), but your ladybug (and other) luck wouldn't be affected by it. :) My apologies!

Back
Top Bottom