Other Torch God's Favor

I also note that the Torch God's Favor doesn't give you coral torches underwater, which could be changed.

If torches are going to matter beyond how much light they provide and in what color, we should commit to making that as painless as possible for the "favored".

Last edited:
The coral torches have been discussed. If my memory serves me right, the reason why you don't get free coral torches is because they can be used underwater.
The only other two torches that can be used underwater appear in hardmode, so having access to free underwater torches right from the game's start is a big no-no.

The difference between glowsticks and coral torches is that glowsticks dissapear after a while, and coral torches remain until you remove them.
I am well aware. Also why is your text bold? You can turn that off by clicking the "B" button in the posting interface, or Ctrl+B if you are using a keyboard. Also,
having access to free underwater torches right from the game's start is a big no-no.
It's not "right from the game's start" if you have to beat an event/boss first!

Indeed, you'll have to dodge some fireballs first, which isn't hard if you make an appropriate arena.
Even so, the devs didn't want you to have underwater torches in easy mode, so you'll have to live with it.

I am well aware. Also why is your text bold? You can turn that off by clicking the "B" button in the posting interface, or Ctrl+B if you are using a keyboard. Also,
That's just my style. A lot of people like to use colors which make it harder to read the text, but this makes it easier instead.

the devs didn't want you to have underwater torches in easy mode, so you'll have to live with it.
You said something interesting here, "in easy mode". There are some mechanics that change a bit in Hardmode, so maybe this could be one?

In Hardmode:
Instead of corrupt and crimson torches, cursed and ichor torches (even underwater).
Coral torches elsewhere underwater.
Bone torches everywhere that isn't already covered by biome-specific torches.

Pre-Hardmode it could continue to work as it does now.

The Torch God's Favor definitely isn't tied 100% to torch luck as suggested so far. You can check the wiki page for confirmation.

• Coral torches are not swapped in for the ocean biome, despite improving luck there.
  • Bone torches are swapped in for the Dungeon, despite not improving luck there.
  • Demon torches are swapped in for the Underworld, despite it being Bone Torches that provide luck there.
This doesn't exactly support or challenge EHellJumper's idea that started this thread, I just wanted to clear this up. And perhaps it suggests the torch luck system needs some tweaking.

If EHellJumper's reasoning was based on the luck usefulness of bone torches, then I ask, should bone torches be so universal? What about the more popular regular torches? A lot of players really like those, so it's kind of a shame that they have to exchange them for colder bone torches for a bit of luck in a large portion of the world.

In reality, I think most players don't bother with bone torches for luck, which may or may not be intended. Damn, I hadn't even realised I didn't put one in my 'purity' biome arena and I'm up to lunatic cultist.

Back
Top Bottom