NPCs & Enemies Town NPC follow

As this is one of my first suggestions, I do not expect it to do well, but I’m trying it anyway.

You know how the town NPCs just roam around your town most of the time, not doing anything to help you in situations other than protect themselves? Does it bother you that they rarely ever leave the buildings?

Does it ever drive you insane when you play single player and must deal with going around the world on your own?

Well then, this idea is meant to fix that.

The idea is to add a follow option for NPCs. You will have to pay them silver coins for every 5 minutes that they follow you. They will follow similar to a summoned creature. This way you won’t have to venture out into the dungeon or any other place alone.

Suggestion optional addition one: Biome based costs

So this addition to my main suggestion is that you will have to pay more for traveling to different biomes. An example of this would be for the guide asking for twice as much to follow you into the corruption. This would attempt to simulate the unwillingness for them to enter such things.

Suggestion optional addition 2: NPC weapon & armour slots.

This extension to the main suggestion might require the changing of NPC code, but the basic idea is to allow them to be more beneficial to you while out in the world. You can give them anything that a player can have, and they will have the same armour and accessory slots as a player. They will also have two new slots: the melee weapon and the ranged weapon.

That is all that I can think of for now, I may add more in the future.

Well, I thought that since they can defend theirselves, maybe they could also follow you and keep you safe. I know that the idea is for them to sell items, but I see a way to expand on one of the features they have.
But they wouldn't keep you safe. They would die extremely rapidly, and any time they spent alive would be with the player trying to stop them from getting killed in annoyance.

while it's a good idea, NPC attacks are pretty weak,slow, and won't do much against enemies. frankly, the only NPCs I would bring with me would be the dryad (for the 8 armour points) and the nurse for the healing.

Ok, I understand that this is your first suggestion, but I have to tell you that there are a few problems with this.

1. NPCs aren't supposed to be for fighting. Most of them are merchants; they sell things to you. The other ones are just as good for fighting. They have weak weapons, have low HP, and can't keep up in the player. It will just hold back the player. Just because NPCs have weapons doesn't mean they should fight. This will annoy the player constantly due to the NPCs dying over and over.
2. This brings us to the next issue. Being able to equip the NPCs with weapons will completely eliminate the diversity of different defenses for different NPCs. The Nurse won't throw her healing dart thingamajigs, but will use her ranged and melee weapons. Also, why would you give them weapons when they have only 250 HP?
3. I don't get how you're supposed to pay more for your NPCs to follow you into different biomes. How will they know to pay you more? You really would just have to pay the same and also offer a ticket to Deathville.

Honestly, no support. Anyway, I like the way you format your thread (unlike some other people).

NPCs are VERY slow. If they were to follow you, they'd not be able to catch up to your wings or your use of grappling hooks and hermes boots. I would be really funny to see a running NPC though.

Back
Top Bottom