Transparency Issues

Syrup

Terrarian
Hi all-

I am trying to make my own textures for fun and experimenting, but encountering some transparency issues when I import the new objects. This is my first time modding and I have zero idea what I am doing.

The backgrounds on the objects are transparent and I just colored over the top of the original file, so no changes were made beyond that.

I have set it to 8-bit Indexed Color, trying both black and transparent as the designated transparency options.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use Photoshop CS6

GTHvUyb.png

Ah, I see. What you will want to do is make a new layer (which will be blank by default), then copy the pixels you want to draw. The quickest way for you to do this is this:
  1. Select the Magic Wand Tool (press W).
  2. In the options that appear above your canvas, make sure Anti-alias and Contiguous are turned off.
  3. Click any of the black pixels in your layer. All the black pixels should now be selected.
  4. Right click your canvas and click Select Inverse.
  5. Right click again and click Layer Via Cut.
  6. Select your old layer and delete it (press Del, or if that doesn't work, click the little trash can icon below it). What used to be black should now sport a white-gray checkerboard pattern (this indicates transparency).
  7. Save as a .png.
That should do the trick. If you get stuck or have any more question, feel free to ask!

To make it transparent, right? It was transparent initially, then I tried changing the transparency index to black (and white), which is why it is black there. Other threads indicate that this is what you need to do to solve the problem, but all it did for me is make it a solid block instead of a slightly transparent block, haha.

TTj7m1v.png

I reset my transparency grid back to default (I typically have it set to a solid dark gray) so that you can see here it is what the transparency typically looks like. Setting it to Indexed Color has made the overall transparency disappear completely from the game and I am left with big white (or black) blocks.

TTj7m1v.png

I reset my transparency grid back to default (I typically have it set to a solid dark gray) so that you can see here it is what the transparency typically looks like. Setting it to Indexed Color has made the overall transparency disappear completely from the game and I am left with big white (or black) blocks.
That is odd. Can you upload the .png file you got from that just to make sure that's not the issue?

Sorry for the super delayed response! We've been crazy busy. I was following various tutorials here on the forums and Youtube. Most of my stuff is packed up now so this learning experience is probably on hold for a couple of months. I look forward to trying again in the future, and thank you guys so much for your help and advice!

Sorry for the super delayed response! We've been crazy busy. I was following various tutorials here on the forums and Youtube. Most of my stuff is packed up now so this learning experience is probably on hold for a couple of months. I look forward to trying again in the future, and thank you guys so much for your help and advice!
That's no problem, priorities are priorities. But please, if you do have any new questions, don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Back
Top Bottom