Items Transport Buffer

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Description

The Buffer is a clamp-like device purchased from the Steampunker for 20 silver that acts as a wire tile; that is to say, it acts outside of space, like an actuator. Several different kinds of buffers would be available for purchase, the difference being the amount of time the Buffer stays active. The Buffer would become active when its tile receives energy. Upon being activated, the Buffer allows a signal to reach whatever tile it is attached to, then "clamps" onto the tile, lighting up in wire vision. Within the duration of the Buffer's timer, any further signals sent to the affected tile are nullified.

Application

I originally meant to create a suggestion that the finicky Teleporter item be addressed, as often its quirks, mainly activating at arbitrary times after use and creating feedback loops, are detrimental. This evolved into the idea of an item being able to fix this problem; creating a signal buffer for a short time after use would prevent the player from accidentally activating a pressure plate or what have you upon reaching their destination and allow them to safely exit the device. I decided this sort of concept may be useful for other mechanical purposes and expanded it into an addition to the wire kit, as adding an item solely to fix a Teleporter bug would be questionable.

But this thing is pretty doable in game right now (if I understood correctly), no?
Here's this delayed teleporter (two of them of course) that ports you a second after you pressed the button (so you have a chance to get away) and doesn't accept any more signals during this time:

Also, I didn't quite get your trouble with teleporter "quirks" and stuff. For me they (with a single button in the mid) work as clockwork:

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

But this thing is pretty doable in game right now (if I understood correctly), no?
Here's this delayed teleporter (two of them of course) that ports you a second after you pressed the button (so you have a chance to get away) and doesn't accept any more signals during this time:

Also, I didn't quite get your trouble with teleporter "quirks" and stuff. For me they (with a single button in the mid) work as clockwork:

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
A teleporter that takes a second to teleport me is useless in a dangerous situation; I want only the signal after I arrive to be nullified.

I have never had teleporters work like in that video. Uncommonly, I transport cleanly and end up where I want to be. Most of the time, I immediately activate the pressure plate upon arrival and teleport back to where I was. Sometimes I get stuck in a loop of infinitely activating each pressure plate and cannot get out of the teleporter. A significant portion of the time, activating the pressure plate does nothing whatsoever, and I have to turn around and run back onto the pad.

Hm, could you show me or explain somehow how are pressure plates placed on your TPs and how many of them? What blocks do you have around TPs (this might affect/prevent your movement pattern and interfere with the teleportation process somehow)?

Adding a slight delay on after the teleportation seems quite possible as well.

From my experience problems might happen when you're using 2+ plates per teleporter, especially/or if you place them asymmetrically. Let's say left teleporter has plate on it's leftmost block and the right one plate on it's rightmost block. Then if you run into the left TP from the left you'll port to the left side of the right TP, and (as you keep running) in a couple of steps you'll hit that plate on the rightmost block of the right TP... and get ported back to the rightmost block of the left TP as the result.
It's also very useful to make teleporter "cabins". Small rooms with just the TP and a button inside and a single entrance from one of the sides. To make it work nicely the other end should have exit on the other side, so you wouldn't hit a well after the port and would just smoothly run out of it. I usually add an automatic door to TP cabins as well, it looks cooler that way :) With cabins it's totally acceptable to put pressure plate on the block furthest from the entrance, as you won't be able to run into it from the other side anyway.

Could you provide some more info, so we could try to solve your inconvenience, please?

Hm, could you show me or explain somehow how are pressure plates placed on your TPs and how many of them? What blocks do you have around TPs (this might affect/prevent your movement pattern and interfere with the teleportation process somehow)?

Adding a slight delay on after the teleportation seems quite possible as well.

From my experience problems might happen when you're using 2+ plates per teleporter, especially/or if you place them asymmetrically. Let's say left teleporter has plate on it's leftmost block and the right one plate on it's rightmost block. Then if you run into the left TP from the left you'll port to the left side of the right TP, and (as you keep running) in a couple of steps you'll hit that plate on the rightmost block of the right TP... and get ported back to the rightmost block of the left TP as the result.
It's also very useful to make teleporter "cabins". Small rooms with just the TP and a button inside and a single entrance from one of the sides. To make it work nicely the other end should have exit on the other side, so you wouldn't hit a well after the port and would just smoothly run out of it. I usually add an automatic door to TP cabins as well, it looks cooler that way :) With cabins it's totally acceptable to put pressure plate on the block furthest from the entrance, as you won't be able to run into it from the other side anyway.

Could you provide some more info, so we could try to solve your inconvenience, please?
I use perfectly ordinary teleport cabins with a single pressure plate in the middle of each.

Back
Top Bottom