Sprites Trap Improvements

Erikfassett

Duke Fishron
If you've played Terraria, which you probably have, you may have encountered some traps while traveling underground, and these traps tend to be simple, either having something fall on you or shooting at you. Sometimes something explodes, or bees execute a sneak attack on you, but otherwise, not much variation.
Well let's fix that!

New traps!
Frozen Dart Trap
Weak Ice Crystal
Obsidian and Hellstone Fragmenter

Please remember that these are suggestions and in no way have to be added to the game. These are my ideas, nothing has been taken from anyone else, and any similarity to other articles is just a fun little coincidence, or someone stole my idea, though probably the former.

Before we get to some new traps, let's improve the old. Most placed traps can be hammered into different orientations, and the geyser trap can be placed on the ceiling, so why don't they spawn in these different orientations?

sQIXgGe.png

This above image shows some of the ways the traps could be placed in different orientations, with traps facing straight up directly under the plate!

Now, onto the new, cooler traps!
If you have a name or a sprite that is better than the one I suggested, go right ahead and reply with it below!

Thanks to those who created or improved sprites for my suggestion!
Sprites with a ★ were made by @652Graystripe!

The Grenade Trap
MA2OULg.png

This little bugger works like the spiky ball trap, but instead launches small, explosive grenades out of the wall. The grenade deals 40 damage and explodes after 3 seconds, or after colliding with the player. The grenade also collides with enemies. This trap is 3 to 4 times rarer than the dart trap.

The Aqua Trap
3fcXNDP.png

A specialty in the dungeon, looking like the Aqua Scepter, this trap, when activated, spits a stream of water toward the nearest player. This stream deals 20 damage. If it so happens to be placed by the player, it will instead aim toward enemies (The stream will still damage players though). If no enemies are near the trap, it will instead shoot toward the direction it is pointing, up if on the ground, down if it is on the underside of a block, or sideways if it is placed on the side of a block. This trap is twice as rare as the dart trap in the dungeon.
P.S mining one of these will not give you the aqua scepter. :( It will instead give you the trap version to use.

The Lava Trap
uG9vzNQ.png

You probably find the boulder trap really annoying, but what if the boulder is replaced by lava? How much more annoying would that be? Each boulder trap in the lava layer would have a 10% chance of being a lava trap instead of a normal boulder trap.

The Sprout Trap
J5FWnD3.png

This fun little guy, when activated, shoots out two projectiles spreading outward 45 degrees from the trap. These projectiles will arc and hit the ground about 10 blocks away in both directions on level ground. The projectiles resemble jungle grass seeds inflict poison for a short time, and deal 24 damage. These are slightly rarer than dart traps and only spawn in the jungle. These can also be oriented any direction.

The Burning Stone
M9A8V1u.png

This glowing stone will burn you if stepped on just like Hellstone or Meteorite! But instead of being useful, it is useless! Spawns in small pockets next to lava above the underworld.

The Chest Trap
Ajfj7uN.png

Normally, when you find a golden chest underground, you expect amazing loot, this time, you will instead spawn a skeleton! Every gold chest would have a 2% chance of being trapped instead of holding loot.

The Frozen Dart Trap
BzETtnV.png

This dart trap works almost exactly like the normal dart trap, except instead of inflicting poison, it inflicts the chilled debuff! But, it also has a 7.5% chance of freezing you in place for a second or two! All dart traps in the ice biome are frozen dart traps

The Weak Ice Crystal
146707-f3866bde5e8a92765d4a99bedf5d7e76.jpg

Just like the annoying falling bee hives in the Jungle, this Ice Crystal will fall when it is hit by a weapon or the block it is attached to is moved. Unlike the bee hives, it doesn't release bees, but instead just releases a few, damaging fragments, giving the landing an area of effect. These fragments deal 5 damage, and the crystal itself deals 30 damage. Ice crystals in the snow biome have a 1/40 chance of being weak!

The Obsidian/Hellstone Fragmenter
XOb9ANg.png
uXeqg2H.png

In the underworld, you will find obsidian houses, but those are boring. So now you have a chance of finding one of these in a obsidian house! All this does is just launches a cute little obsidian fragment that acts like a spiky ball, but instead damages the player, dealing 24 damage. There is also a hellstone variant that spawns in the hellstone houses. This burning fragment deals 32 damage and has a 10% chance of setting the player on fire for a few seconds! The obsidian variation has a 4% chance of spawning in a room while the hellstone variation has a 8% chance of spawning in a room.

I may update this with more traps and other changes.

Last edited:
This is actually a pretty cool idea! These traps would make life a lot harder, PvP a lot more frustrating, and adventure maps a lot more entertaining. I support!

i like it! but there maybe should be ice themed traps that slow you rather than poison. so go ahead, if you like that idea make some sprites! id love to see what you come up with

i like it! but there maybe should be ice themed traps that slow you rather than poison. so go ahead, if you like that idea make some sprites! id love to see what you come up with
I can actually see quite a few options for ice-themed traps, like one that sets off an avalanche. Or a dart trap that shoots icicles.

Heh, I completely forgot that the ice biome existed until now
Don't know how after 5 years of playing :p

Anyways, I've got three more trap ideas incoming! I just need to get to making the sprites for them!
The new traps will be related to the Ice Biome and the Underworld.

Edit: New traps are out! Feel free to make a sprite for the trap I couldn't sprite in time!

Last edited:
Rotten_icicle.gif Rotten_icicle.png
Made two versions of the weak ice crystal. I personally despise the .gif since I'm garbage at making them, but I needed the practice and I figured it could be useful for a game visualization.
The reason they used that color palette is because I was going off of candle ice, which I see a lot in the lakes near my town. I wanted them to be easily distinguishable from normal ice crystals - bee hives don't have that problem, since there's nothing for them to be mistaken for. In the case of rotten icicles, I felt that it wasn't fair to use a similar palette, since having a player be killed by an unpreventable death feels punishing and like faux difficulty.

I also made sprites for the obsidian and hellstone shrapnel traps, with a bonus sprite thrown in: a hellstone flamethrower trap.
Hellstone_flamethrower.png Hellstone_Fragmenter.png
Obsidian_fragmenter.png
Both the hellstone ones were intended to be slightly different from the surrounding hellstone bricks, so as to make them slightly visible. The obsidian one, I'm less happy with - I may redo it so it looks like normal obsidian, so as not to be camouflaged completely.

All I ask for is a tag crediting me if you end up using them.

Best of luck! I'm a fan of the suggestion. My only concern is that they might feel "unfair" if there's no way to distinguish them from the surrounding environment, especially in the case of the weak ice crystal and the chest trap. I did my best to avoid that in my sprites.

There's one thing you need to remember about seeing them: most traps are camoflauged. Lihzahrd traps and the dart traps are very difficult to spot. Same goes with boulder traps and (if it's dark enough) explosive traps. The latter two can easily one-shot an unprepared player, or at least deal severe damage to them.

There's one thing you need to remember about seeing them: most traps are camoflauged. Lihzahrd traps and the dart traps are very difficult to spot. Same goes with boulder traps and (if it's dark enough) explosive traps. The latter two can easily one-shot an unprepared player, or at least deal severe damage to them.
I agree on those counts - it's just that I don't want a prepared player, actively looking, to be unable to spot the traps because they blend in so well. Lihzahrd traps are possibly the only in-game traps that fit that description.
I'm happy to redo the sprites to be more camouflaged though.

I agree on those counts - it's just that I don't want a prepared player, actively looking, to be unable to spot the traps because they blend in so well. Lihzahrd traps are possibly the only in-game traps that fit that description.
I'm happy to redo the sprites to be more camouflaged though.
As long as they're not absolutely invisible in their environments, they should be fine.

View attachment 146625 View attachment 146626
Made two versions of the weak ice crystal. I personally despise the .gif since I'm garbage at making them, but I needed the practice and I figured it could be useful for a game visualization.
The reason they used that color palette is because I was going off of candle ice, which I see a lot in the lakes near my town. I wanted them to be easily distinguishable from normal ice crystals - bee hives don't have that problem, since there's nothing for them to be mistaken for. In the case of rotten icicles, I felt that it wasn't fair to use a similar palette, since having a player be killed by an unpreventable death feels punishing and like faux difficulty.

I also made sprites for the obsidian and hellstone shrapnel traps, with a bonus sprite thrown in: a hellstone flamethrower trap.
View attachment 146627 View attachment 146628
View attachment 146629
Both the hellstone ones were intended to be slightly different from the surrounding hellstone bricks, so as to make them slightly visible. The obsidian one, I'm less happy with - I may redo it so it looks like normal obsidian, so as not to be camouflaged completely.

All I ask for is a tag crediting me if you end up using them.

Best of luck! I'm a fan of the suggestion. My only concern is that they might feel "unfair" if there's no way to distinguish them from the surrounding environment, especially in the case of the weak ice crystal and the chest trap. I did my best to avoid that in my sprites.
The sprites are really good! I do agree that traps should look a bit different from the environment themselves, but they should camouflage well enough that they can still catch most players off guard if they aren't paying attention, but not well enough for those actually looking for them will have almost no chance at finding them.
I think your obsidian trap sprite would work fine as it isn't just the trap that is there, but the pressure plate would also have some level of visibility

Anyways, sprites made by you are credited in a spoiler above the trap suggestions saying that all sprites made by you have a star next to them. :)

Back
Top Bottom