Weapons & Equip TREATS, A DETAILED OVERHAUL OF THE SUMMONER CLASS

Kadius

Terrarian
Okay guys my name is kadius and this is my first idea thread! SO yeah let me get into this. In PvP Summons do nothing. My idea is treats. Treats can be thrown by hand or combined with the empty shells given my the arms dealer to create Treat Bullets which can then be fired from any gun. Upon contact with any player that you could normally interact in PvP with (PvP enabled and not on your team), the treats will cause a debuff on said player. This debuff then causes the minions to attack the target for the duration of this buff.

This can also be used on mobs, say during and event, to make them focus on one specific mob of choice such as a boss.

Here are some details:
Treats:
Mechanics of treat:
The treat can be thrown like any throwable and has an arc, it has a fairly short range (the same as the minion attack range.... obv). When the treat comes into contact with a player it will cause a debuff which causes all of the palyer's minions to attack said target until one of the following parameters are met:
-The target dies
-The debuff ends
-A treat is thrown at a different target
This means that the debuff can only effect 1 player/mob at a time.
The debuff lasts 5 seconds
The debuff can be removed by any debuff removing potions/items but is NOT blocked by ankh shield.

TREAT BULLET:
Upon crafting a treat with a empty shell obtained from the arms dealer, you can create a treat bullet.
Tool-tip: "this doesn't look like it can do much harm, but I'm sure it can make something else do some..."
Effect of the bullet:
-The bullet lowers the range of any gun fired by 40%. The reason I've stuck with a percentage and nto a set distance is because then a sniper would have a huge range and a shotgun would not even have a range. This means that it is just making the distance smaller and makes it more balanced.
-The bullet lowers the damage of the gun by 50%, THIS IS STILL WORTH IT DUE TO THE STUPID DAMAGE COMING FROM ALL YOUR MINIONS BUT MAKES IT SO THIS ITEM ISNT OP AND CAN JUST GO "ONE HIT WITH SNIPER TO GET LOW AND THEN MINIONS FINISH OFF GG". Oops, caps... meh too lazy to fix. Deal with it :cool:
-The debuff on the bullet gets lowered to 3.5 seconds due to the massively increased range/RoF depending on gun and also some increased damage.

Treat Dispenser:
The treat Dispenser is the ultimate weapon for any summoner. It is bought from the summoner NPC (again see the above thread) for 2 plat.
Tooltip: "if a gun can shoot coins then why not treats?"
Here are a few pointers as to why this is the endgame summoner treat weapon:
-It fires raw treats which means you get the full 5 second duration on them.
-The gun has an average rate of fire which means they will be debuffed almost all the time if you land your hits.
-IT ISN'T AFFECTED BY THE DAMAGE REDUCTION RO RANGE REDUCTION but has the same range as any medium range weapon and only does 15 damage. Again though, the main point is minion damage.
-This buffs minion damage by 5% when the minions are attacking a debuffed player or mob.
Great one to grab and is definately your best friend as a summoner!

TREAT CLUSTER:
WHen you combine 5 treats it gives you a treat cluster. These are melee consumables that, when a entity is hit, applies a 25 second rebuff. They do 7 damage and are a great way of hitting someone and then attacking with a different weapon. Hiowever you can't witch targets as easily as only one target can be debuffed so if you dont use the full duration you're losing out. This makes it more efficient lategame to just use the treat dispenser.

Laser Pointer:
Small idea I'd like to touch on. You hold it and it follows yoru cursor. This also makes your summons go to the end of the lazer. Great way to make them defend a spot. Doesn't activate PvP minion fighting and only works on mobs. Good for events and invasions.

SO yeah guys this is a W.I.P and will be updated as i get more ideas so stay tuned as always leave your thoughts in the comments below!

CREDITS: (Continuously updated as i get help!)
@Loki for giving me some great ideas

Last edited:
great idea this is just perfect

( ive always wanted to rek people with eyes and sharks)
I came up with the idea when feeding my dog and he was going nuts over this treat and i thought "Hey, I wonder if Summons would do the same..."

Or just make minions attack players in pvp? But I do like the laser pointer so
Badge of Approval.gif

Or just make minions attack players in pvp? But I do like the laser pointer so View attachment 6091
Haha this is what most would think of but one of my main points is being able to direct your summons. This cam about when I was fighting the twins and They were atacking Retenizer and I was like "OMG WTF ATTACK TEH OTHER ONE U NUBS", so I said "Hey, what if i could control what they attack?" And i made this thread after feeding my dog and coming up with treats. I am so glad though everybody enjoys this idea! Almost every suggestion thread I've seen had haters but this idea just seems to not have any. Thank you guys fro your support and i really hope this thread grows so that one day maybe red will see this and implement it!
EDIT: Just got a rename on the thread! Got a much better name now then just TREATS.

Last edited:
I give full support to this idea, but I have a concern. From what I understand, minions cannot attack players for the same reason homing weapons cannot home in on players, and for the same reason spectre armour heals enemy players in PvP. I would imagine this was unintentional. I think this idea might not work because it might be too hard to code.

Of just make them attack the targeted player when you spawn summon the minion with the staff directly onto the player...

Of just make them attack the targeted player when you spawn summon the minion with the staff directly onto the player...
You, sir, aren't getting the point. In a PvP or PvE fight you don't want to have your summon staff out, you want to be hitting things. Plus this adds more variety. And it isn't hard to code it's a debuff pretty much that triggers the same code that makes summons attack a monster normally.

You, sir, aren't getting the point. In a PvP or PvE fight you don't want to have your summon staff out, you want to be hitting things. Plus this adds more variety. And it isn't hard to code it's a debuff pretty much that triggers the same code that makes summons attack a monster normally.

Given this fact, that would make Summoners over powered if they attack players automatically like they do in a PvE situation. This would mean you can cause double the trouble by holding out a magic weapon, while your minions do the extra damage as well...

This is why I stated, you NEED to use the minion staff on a player to target it, this then, is less overpowered, and requires strategy instead of stroke of luck with double the fire-power.

Given this fact, that would make Summoners over powered if they attack players automatically like they do in a PvE situation. This would mean you can cause double the trouble by holding out a magic weapon, while your minions do the extra damage as well...

This is why I stated, you NEED to use the minion staff on a player to target it, this then, is less overpowered, and requires strategy instead of stroke of luck with double the fire-power.
If you have a better idea, go make your own damn thread, but don't come here whining all over mine.

This is OK, I suppose. I mean, some parts I like while on the other hand, there are some parts I don't particularly like. Whilst the concept is relatively original, I don't find it all too great.

This isn't an overhaul of the summoner class.

It's barely a change to the summoner class for those that don't PvP (which is nearly everyone that plays Terraria).

This isn't an overhaul of the summoner class.

It's barely a change to the summoner class for those that don't PvP (which is nearly everyone that plays Terraria).
If you bothered to read it you would notice that it has multiple PvE applications. This is by no means a PvP only summoner suggestion

This is unnecessarily complicated. There are more elegant ways to exert control over your summons. Like this.

Couldn't be simpler. Less of an issue in terms of this extra-credit thing we call PvP balance, as well.
i have to agree with Baconfry, this really is unnecessarily complicated. just as there are better ways to control your minions. honestly, i've never once had an issue with my minions targeting something desired, it just takes some practice to place things at the right place at the right time.

i can not support this suggestion, sorry. :(

A lot of positive feedback at first but now, I guess the thread got noticed and then the suggestion Nazis came in. Doesn't feel to great but I am determined to get my idea in the game (that's the point of these, right?) so I will take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and improve the guide. The only way anyone of you can actually help and not make my feel like my idea is worthless is for you guys to actually say "I liked this bit, but this bit could use some work. Maybe change it to ___?". Also if you help out you get your name in the OP.... just sayin...

Back
Top Bottom