Truffle Worm AFK Farming Guide

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Truffle Worm farming tends to be a pain for many players who wander around mushroom biomes trying to catch those rare and elusive worms. I present an approach to catching Truffle Worms in vast quantities in a very short period of time:

The design of the farm is based upon Full Metal Kirby's pit idea presented here:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/truffle-worm-farm-100-per-hour.147672/

The farm presented in the video is designed to catch upwards of around 300 worms per hour. It can be fully automated as well, since the player can hold down the left mouse button to continuously swing the net and catch any truffle worms that fall into the pit.

Autofarm set-up (with and without wiring):

3I02cqp.jpg

3ZRKoeT.jpg

Dimensions are very important. Spawns in the farm are limited to the off-screen surfaces to the left and right of the player. Truffle Worms spawn on mushroom grass surfaces, so the mushroom grass surfaces need to be between 62 tiles and 84 tiles to the left and right of the player. The farm has open space above those surfaces up to 47 blocks above where the player is stationed, since spawns can initiate in mid-air. Having such open space will maximize spawn rate. All areas below the spawn surfaces up to 47 blocks are filled in to prevent spawns there.

Kill Engines:

To rapidly kill non-truffle worm mobs, dart traps and spiky ball traps are used. The spiky ball chambers are for killing Fungi Bulbs that spawn on the surface and move their bulbs below the surface towards the player. A player-placed background wall in those chambers prevents spawns there. A dart trap battery sweeps 1 block above the spawn surface to kill all other non-truffle worm mobs. Here's a closer look at the dart trap battery:

B3tF9se.jpg

EjKV6Zu.jpg

The battery consists of 28 super dart traps that have been actuated into the background so that they can shoot through each other (14 Super Dart Traps will also work well so long as they have a 1 block space in between each other). Each dart is wired to a pressure plate that is activated when a bird passes over it. When the player teleports into the farm the bird statue is automatically activated, and the bird that spawns passes over all of the pressure plates in the bird tunnel activating the dart traps in sequence. The final pressure plate in the bird tunnel also activates the bird statue, spawning the next bird. All birds fly up and to the right after passing through the bird tunnel, activating a dart trap there that kills them. This bird engine avoids having to use any 1-second timers and automatically shuts off when the player teleports out of the arena since all birds despawn.

Maximizing Spawn Rates of Truffle Worms:

Spawn rates are maximized by building the farm in the jungle biome in the stone layer. To create a jungle biome, 80 jungle grass blocks or 80 Lihzahrd Temple blocks need to be on-screen. Spawn rate in Terraria is capped at 60 (which means a 1 in 60 chance of a spawn occurring every 1/60th of a second; the lower the spawn rate the better) and the maximum number of spawns is capped at 15. A player-placed Water Candle increases both the spawn rate and max spawns by 25% (which means the spawn rate is multiplied by 0.75 for the water candle). Here are the actual spawn rates and max spawns with and without a placed candle for jungle biomes in stone layers:

Jungle biome in the Stone layer:
Spawn Rate = 86
Max spawns = 15

Jungle biome in the Stone layer + mounted Water Candle:
Spawn Rate = 86(0.75) = 64.5
Max spawns = 15

Source:

http://terraria.wiki.gg/NPC_spawning

Since the max number of spawns in the farm is already at the cap, and since the spawn rate is extremely close to the cap, there is no need to use Battle Potions.

List of items needed to build this farm:

28 Super Dart Traps (although 14 is already enough to make a good farm)
1 Dart Trap (to kill birds in the bird engine)
20 Spiky Ball Traps
1 Bird Statue
1 Water Candle
Jungle Seeds
Mushroom Seeds
Wires

World download:

http://www.filedropper.com/dicemanx-ultimatehmworldv2

Here's a video of the older, more resource-heavy truffle worm farm:

Last edited:
Can truffle worms be farmed pre-plantera? I would like to set one of these up myself. Also, what is the stone layer? Is that underground or cavern?

Can truffle worms be farmed pre-plantera? I would like to set one of these up myself. Also, what is the stone layer? Is that underground or cavern?
truffle worms spawn at the very beginning of hardmode. The only thing pre hardmode here is the super dart traps. You could use dart traps as a supplement, but super works better.

Truffle worms spawn in any mushroom biome below 0 depth (underground)

Indeed, super dart traps are better, although dart traps can still be used for a slower farming rate. The farm should still be very reliable for finding worms.

Nice farm, I will try to set up one of these, though I suck at wiring... I will be back with my results after about two years of trying to get all the wire;)

The wiring cost a small fortune with my first version, although the current one featured in this thread isn't too bad :). A teleporter into the farm isn't strictly necessary - it's possible to just take a hellevator down to this farm and run into the pit before turning on the traps.

Last edited:
I know you've already seen this, Diceman, but thought I'd post a link to my new truffle worm farm here, since I reference your design rather directly in my video. Written guide and video guide of farm, which uses an active size 1 hoik (and hoik engine) to collect up the worms rapidly to the player, with farm in a vertical layout.
the spawn zone block distances have been changed, and I'm going by ZeroGravitas' findings.
I also refer to exactly what I believe the spawn ranges to be, in both guides, from careful testing in game.

These contraptions are amazing but... in the world you've shared (named dicemanX-ultimatehmworldv2), there is no truffle worms farm and it didn't match the one in the top video at all (and there is some places that has not been yet unveilled, like the "pressure plates tunnel").

Could you upload a world with the farm you shown in your thread please ?
Thanks.

These contraptions are amazing but... in the world you've shared (named dicemanX-ultimatehmworldv2), there is no truffle worms farm and it didn't match the one in the top video at all (and there is some places that has not been yet unveilled, like the "pressure plates tunnel").

Could you upload a world with the farm you shown in your thread please ?
Thanks.

Here's the latest link:

Ultimate Hardmode World: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/v8UcpD92/file.html

Check the teleport hub directory for the code to the Truffle Worm farm.

Here's the latest link:

Ultimate Hardmode World: http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/v8UcpD92/file.html

Check the teleport hub directory for the code to the Truffle Worm farm.

Amazing, thanks :).

Can't imagine how much time have been spent creating all these stuff ! It's very inspiring.
By the way, there is maybe a little issue, going back from the truffle worms farm to teleports hub put the character in the middle of the "maze" without any way to go out unless I miss something, which is quite expected as teleporters are connected, perhaps a double link (one way in, one way out) would help in such case.

i was testing out the map and i noticed there is one problem. those red beetles. they spawn rarely but when they do the darts cant hit them and if you are going AFK eventually kill you.

i was testing out the map and i noticed there is one problem. those red beetles. they spawn rarely but when they do the darts cant hit them and if you are going AFK eventually kill you.

This is why I summon a minion in the video - to take care of the beetles. I couldn't find any other elegant way of dealing with them other than shifting above the cavern layer (but then potentially not being able to reach the spawn cap).

Amazing, thanks :).

Can't imagine how much time have been spent creating all these stuff ! It's very inspiring.

Thanks! It's been a year-long effort, and I add to the map when inspiration hits. There's a new massive machine in the works right now that will be added soon :).

By the way, there is maybe a little issue, going back from the truffle worms farm to teleports hub put the character in the middle of the "maze" without any way to go out unless I miss something, which is quite expected as teleporters are connected, perhaps a double link (one way in, one way out) would help in such case.

The teleport hub has up hoiks for the return, and they can be an issue unless the player doesn't touch the controls on the return. Without touching the controls I can consistently teleport back without any issue from every teleporter :). In fact in a later video I show the return from this very farm back to the teleport hub. Issues also arise when playing on servers unfortunately.

Well, the bird in my farm keeps despawning as long as it's off-screen. And only the first two dart traps are able to shoot, the rest are blocked by each other.

Well, the bird in my farm keeps despawning as long as it's off-screen. And only the first two dart traps are able to shoot, the rest are blocked by each other.

You need to actuate all the traps into the background and then remove the actuators - that way the darts can shoot trough the dart traps that would otherwise be in their way.

The bird will despawn only if you're too far away - birds can exist off-screen but up to a limit. I think @ZeroGravitas can shed some light on the maximum distances since I forgot where he posted this info previously.

shed some light on the maximum distances
It's about 250 tiles away before getting instant mob despawns (as partially demonstrated in my Practical Rapid Fire Dart Trap Battery Guide Video). So as long as you keep spawning (and terminating) new birds (i.e. with a 3s timer) then you should have pretty reliable operation while off-screen, to a limit. Stick a timer on each dart line if this is not sufficient.

It's about 250 tiles away before getting instant mob despawns (as partially demonstrated in my Practical Rapid Fire Dart Trap Battery Guide Video). So as long as you keep spawning (and terminating) new birds (i.e. with a 3s timer) then you should have pretty reliable operation while off-screen, to a limit. Stick a timer on each dart line if this is not sufficient.

Good stuff. Is any mob off-screen guaranteed to despawn eventually?

Back
Top Bottom