Truffle Worm AFK Farming Guide

Is any mob off-screen guaranteed to despawn eventually?
I believe so. Within ~12s (15 tops).

Did I see elsewhere that you thought birds were a special case (de-spawn resistant)? Because I didn't see any reason they should be. Sometimes you get an annoying little tweeter stuck on-screen in a little nook, or mostly off screen but periodically renewing their active status by nipping briefly on-screen. ("On-screen" here meaning within the inner 'safe zone'/no spawn box, not necessarily visible, depending upon resolution.)

Hey, DicemanX, this is pretty awesome. The only thing I seem to be missing is the bird statue. Also, will 12 dart traps be enough? Or is there a minimum? My temple only had that many (I used dangersense potions to spot them all.)

Hey, DicemanX, this is pretty awesome. The only thing I seem to be missing is the bird statue. Also, will 12 dart traps be enough? Or is there a minimum? My temple only had that many (I used dangersense potions to spot them all.)

14 is already very close to the cap, so 12 will still do fine. You actually don't need a bird statue, but it is convenient to have one. The bird flies down the tunnel at the same speed that a player walks (without any speed boosting gear), so what you can do is create a stretch of ground with pressure plates spaced the same way that they are spaced in the bird tunnel, and just walk over them to activate the 1-second timers before teleporting into the pit.

Alright, I got all 28 (29 with the bird killer), yet it seems like every other bird activates the traps instead of being continuous like in your video. While watching, I noticed that it's continuous while you're in the teleporter area, but starts acting like mine once you leave and go to the engine towards the end of the video. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Upon further testing, it seems I was a bit mistaken. There were two people on my server (me at the "trap" and one at the engine trying to figure out what was wrong.) When they came to the trap with me, it was continuous... Why does it do that? Why can't someone be by the engine.

Last edited:
Alright, I got all 28 (29 with the bird killer), yet it seems like every other bird activates the traps instead of being continuous like in your video. While watching, I noticed that it's continuous while you're in the teleporter area, but starts acting like mine once you leave and go to the engine towards the end of the video. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Upon further testing, it seems I was a bit mistaken. There were two people on my server (me at the "trap" and one at the engine trying to figure out what was wrong. When they came to me, it was continuous... Why does it do that?

It's because the player's position relative to the statue affects the bird's behavior. In my farm the bird is to my right and the tunnel is to the right as well - as soon as I move so the statue is to my left, the bird hits the wall on the left (in an attempt to fly from me) and thus messes up the mechanism. Of course this isn't a problem since the player is meant to stay in the pit at all times.

If you planned on shifting the bird engine elsewhere, one easy solution is to connect the pressure plates to 1-second timers, and instead of a feedback loop with the bird statue, have a single bird pass through the tunnel to turn on all the timers. A second activation would shut them off.

If you have too many Lizhard Blocks onscreen, is it possible that it will only convert to a jungle biome, even though you have a layer of mushroom grass?

If you have too many Lizhard Blocks onscreen, is it possible that it will only convert to a jungle biome, even though you have a layer of mushroom grass?

The biome doesn't control what spawns - only the surface does (with very few exceptions). The biome however controls spawn rate and max spawns. You thus actually want the jungle biome in every farm, because jungle biomes have one of the fastest spawn rates. Furthermore, the biome that controls spawns is based on the blocks on-screen, so the spawn rate is based on player position, not spawn surface position.

Great farm, really easy to make. The only problems I had was that the bird seems to spawn twice as fast as it needs to, 1 in 2 birds doesn't trigger any traps. Because of this, the bird killing dart trap was on cooldown 1 in 2 times, and it messed up the battery. Also, my battery doesn't fire constantly like in the video, it seems to be on a cooldown. I also found that truffle worms were running away before they could fall in the pit. Once I fixed all that though, it worked fine. I also got a slime staff, 2 jungle keys, and countless yelets while I was making this. A good haul I'd say.

My anti-malware program says the new website download is "known to be dangerous." Is this true? Personally, i trust Diceman and Zerogravitas.

My anti-malware program says the new website download is "known to be dangerous." Is this true? Personally, i trust Diceman and Zerogravitas.

I abandoned filedropper a while ago, and now I use google drive. You can always find the most recent links in my most recent youtube videos or guides I post in these forums, since I constantly update. Here's the most recent link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBZ1I1emJjTWFfZVU/view

However, I have a killer new update pending - video + new world download will be released this week.

DicemanX, you are a credit to the Terraria community. Thank you for all of your work, both on YouTube, and here in the forums.

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind words and support! I still have many more interesting builds and videos lined up in the near future :).

i was testing out the map and i noticed there is one problem. those red beetles. they spawn rarely but when they do the darts cant hit them and if you are going AFK eventually kill you.

The problem with summoning minions is that they can kill the worms. (happened to me)

This is why I summon a minion in the video - to take care of the beetles. I couldn't find any other elegant way of dealing with them other than shifting above the cavern layer (but then potentially not being able to reach the spawn cap).

The red beetles could probably be filtered out using their size, couldn't they? I don't think they fit through 1 block gaps like the worms do. If they are blocked by a wall, their AI should also ensure that they jump into the arrows fired by the traps.

Back
Top Bottom