Mac Trying to download a map for the Mac/Linux open beta but it's not working?

Antoferri93

Terrarian
I've watched instructional videos of people going through My Games>Terraria>Worlds and moving the world into that file, and it works perfectly. However; since i'm on mac it's an "exec file". I'm not sure what that means but whenever I drag and drop it into the Terraria worlds folder it doesn't show up in game.

I've tried resetting steam/terraria, I also tried resetting my mac and doing everything over again.. No luck though. If anyone can give me some insight, maybe it doesn't work for the beta?

Thanks.

I know it works for the beta, as I've had no issues with it before (Even today). What the issue is, is with those "World" files. If they are an "Executable file" or an EXE, they aren't worlds, but applications. World files have the postfix of "WLD" or "WLD.BAK". In the "Kind" property of the files in Finder, they should be registered as just "Documents".

Can you ensure that the files you are using have an extension of "WLD", and that they are in ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Worlds"?

I know it works for the beta, as I've had no issues with it before (Even today). What the issue is, is with those "World" files. If they are an "Executable file" or an EXE, they aren't worlds, but applications. World files have the postfix of "WLD" or "WLD.BAK". In the "Kind" property of the files in Finder, they should be registered as just "Documents".

Can you ensure that the files you are using have an extension of "WLD", and that they are in ~/Library/Application Support/Terraria/Worlds"?

The file name is "builder.wld" but the image of the file shows "exec" on it. I'm not tech savvy so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.
Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 4.29.24 PM.png

Ok, now... I will ensure that the files are in the correct location. Copy ("Edit > Copy" OR "command + c") the two files. Next, find "Spotlight". This is the little magnifying glass in the top-right of your screen (Or use "command + SPACE"). Now, a little text box pops up. Type "~/Library/Application Support/Terraria" in the box, and hit enter. It should open the Terraria saves folder, with all of your worlds and players. Next, go inside the worlds folder, and paste the "Builder.wld" files and "Builder.wld.bak" files. This should work :)

Let me know if you'd prefer a quick little video tutorial, since that would probably be easiest.

Ok, now... I will ensure that the files are in the correct location. Copy ("Edit > Copy" OR "command + c") the two files. Next, find "Spotlight". This is the little magnifying glass in the top-right of your screen (Or use "command + SPACE"). Now, a little text box pops up. Type "~/Library/Application Support/Terraria" in the box, and hit enter. It should open the Terraria saves folder, with all of your worlds and players. Next, go inside the worlds folder, and paste the "Builder.wld" files and "Builder.wld.bak" files. This should work :)

Let me know if you'd prefer a quick little video tutorial, since that would probably be easiest.

Hehe I appreciate the extensiveness of your understanding of my non-tech savvy-ness. It worked perfectly, just odd because I did those exact same steps asides from the ~/library/application support/terrari step. I'm guessing that's a different folder than the one I was opening?

Either way, thank you very much!

I did those exact same steps asides from the ~/library/application support/terraria step.
No problem, glad I could help :) You're issue was likely from the old directory, which was back when Terraria used the My Games directory on Mac and OS X. Anyway, if you need any more Mac / OS X technical help, feel free to PM me ;)

What @The Mythical Dagger said is accurate. If you'll join (or just read) the beta discussion group, you'll find a thread in which another player ran into this. Same map, too. We got it straightened out.

No problem, glad I could help :) You're issue was likely from the old directory, which was back when Terraria used the My Games directory on Mac and OS X. Anyway, if you need any more Mac / OS X technical help, feel free to PM me ;)

Yeah, you're right. I was posting the world files in the old directory. Thanks a lot, i'll definitely keep you in mind if I need any help!

What @The Mythical Dagger said is accurate. If you'll join (or just read) the beta discussion group, you'll find a thread in which another player ran into this. Same map, too. We got it straightened out.

I just joined the site when I posted this thread. I had a bit of difficulty navigating through the site looking for a Terraria Mac Support thread. Now that you mention it, i'll keep it in mind the next time I come across more difficulty, thanks!

Glad you got it sorted.
I just joined the site when I posted this thread. I had a bit of difficulty navigating through the site looking for a Terraria Mac Support thread. Now that you mention it, i'll keep it in mind the next time I come across more difficulty, thanks!
Beg pardon, there's a message at the top of the forum pages but it can be dismissed/closed. I ought to have linked to it. Here y'go:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...c-linux-open-beta-testing-feedback-group.690/

If you run into other beta-related problems, that's the best place to get in touch with other testers and the developers. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom