Music Pack Trying to Set Custom Loop Points for a Music Mod

CriticalEdge

Terrarian
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask.

I followed the Tutorial on the forum for setting up a Resource Pack for Custom Music in Terraria. Now, I have an issue and I can't find a sliver of guidance anywhere.

So, for example, I'm trying to have a custom music track loop back to a specific point once it reaches the end, rather than just replaying the music from the start. Let's say I need the music to start the loop around 0:06 seconds instead. Well, I can't figure out how to do this. I know how to loop things, and I've tried with .wav so far, but no luck, and also tried .ogg, but can't seem to figure out how to loop those, aside from following ancient audacity tutorials about setting loop metadata for .ogg, but that didn't work either, and lord knows I'm not touching .mp3.

So with all that said, can anyone help? Does the game even support custom loop points? If not, can custom loops for .wav and .ogg be supported in an update, and if so, can anyone point me to an easier way to loop .ogg files?

Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no support for this. Even when people just made custom wavebanks and replaced the music that way it wasn’t supported.

Unfortunately there is no support for this. Even when people just made custom wavebanks and replaced the music that way it wasn’t supported.
Finally, a proper answer. I had suspected this was the case, but I never got any direct answers. Thanks.

I suppose then that makes modding music useless to me. It's not worth it if the music doesn't loop properly.
To any devs, if proper loops for .wav/.ogg can be supported, that would be fantastic news. I have a feeling something with Terraria's handling of it won't make it possible though.

Finally, a proper answer. I had suspected this was the case, but I never got any direct answers. Thanks.

I suppose then that makes modding music useless to me. It's not worth it if the music doesn't loop properly.
To any devs, if proper loops for .wav/.ogg can be supported, that would be fantastic news. I have a feeling something with Terraria's handling of it won't make it possible though.
It's not a perfect solution, but I usually just cut off the beginning of the track so that it starts at where the custom loop point would be. Terraria tends to fade-in it's songs so it actually doesn't sound as bad as one might think.

You could always just make an actual mod instead of just a resource pack.
Can't work in 1.4 unless you decompile the source code and modify it yourself. And even then it would have to be approved by re-logic for it to be distributed.

It's not a perfect solution, but I usually just cut off the beginning of the track so that it starts at where the custom loop point would be. Terraria tends to fade-in it's songs so it actually doesn't sound as bad as one might think.
Thanks. I thought about that already too, but it would still ruin tracks with long intros or what have you. I'm really stubborn when it comes to music. It has to be a certain way, or it's not worth it.

Can't work in 1.4 unless you decompile the source code and modify it yourself. And even then it would have to be approved by re-logic for it to be distributed.
You do realize that tML has a 1.4 version right? It's not ready for release or even a Beta/Alpha but you can make this kind of mod just fine. They have a guide on Github for compiling it. Also source mods aren't that hard to make, and you don't need permission to distribute it if you use a patcher and get people to run the patcher to decompile and modify the game themselves, essentially what tML does the keep itself open source.

Thanks. I thought about that already too, but it would still ruin tracks with long intros or what have you. I'm really stubborn when it comes to music. It has to be a certain way, or it's not worth it.
I understand. In my own music pack I did my best to make every song loop well and actually made sure that all of the songs were around the same volume too.
You do realize that tML has a 1.4 version right? It's not ready for release or even a Beta/Alpha but you can make this kind of mod just fine. They have a guide on Github for compiling it. Also source mods aren't that hard to make, and you don't need permission to distribute it if you use a patcher and get people to run the patcher to decompile and modify the game themselves, essentially what tML does the keep itself open source.
I wasn't aware of this and thought everyone would do that if they could.

Back
Top Bottom