Items Turtle Mount Bonus: No Longer Completely Useless!

XenoCat

Steampunker
So, we've all been there. We were fishing for crates, and then, out of nowhere, you get a Hardy Saddle! You imagine the mount it summons to be worth the time... and then...
Turtle_mount_animation.gif

You get the most useless mount in the game. Seriously, who needs to swim that fast? By the time you get the Hardy Saddle, you probably already have everything you'll need from the underwater areas of your world. So, now you're left with a Saddle for your collection or 5 gold.

To effectively make the mount more useful, it could use a bonus.

I propose that it become a combat mount. No, it will not attack, but rather defend. When taking damage while riding the mount, you gain 6 defense for 3 seconds, and your invulnerable state lasts .75 seconds longer than normal (similar to the Cross Necklace, except slightly shorter).

While these effects take place, the turtle itself will react. While the defense stat is raised, it's head is tucked into it's shell, and a bubble surrounds the player. While invulnerable, it's shell glows a bright green.

The effects it provides may be offset by slow movement, and this may incentivize battling in a water arena, or being used with a Tank Build.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks! :dryadtongue:

That is a fairly good suggestion. This mount never made any use for me with exception for when I fished it in early game whilst I didn't possess Rocket Boots/Cloud in a Bottle/Flipper yet. In Hardmode you usually have items to swim and breathe underwater. Not to mention that you will probably farm Pirate Maps on platforms with proper setup ( Blood Moon, Water Candle, Battle Potion ). I'm certainly signing for this, kitten.

Sure.

It might have been useful if it was one of the first mounts you find, but you need to fish to find it and fishing gives you the Rabbit mount, and land is far more common than water.

Yo dawgy dawg someone call Redigit up in here yo cuz this suggestion is TIGHT. He liked a post I made on his profile, that means he's my homie.

Since you're saying it could be for a tank build, maybe have it react to turtle armor?
Turtle armor could have a new type of helmet with a different DEF stat or so that rather than full thorns damage, it buff's the turtle effect. Not sure on how much it would be buffed, but I feel doubling it would be a little over the top. Not very good with numbers.
The new helmet could also be like the spectre hood and lower DPS in return for this DEF. That way, it's still not better than the beetle armor but it's like a DEF variant of turtle.
Only problem I see with this is that it would block out other mounts.

Since you're saying it could be for a tank build, maybe have it react to turtle armor?
Turtle armor could have a new type of helmet with a different DEF stat or so that rather than full thorns damage, it buff's the turtle effect. Not sure on how much it would be buffed, but I feel doubling it would be a little over the top. Not very good with numbers.
The new helmet could also be like the spectre hood and lower DPS in return for this DEF. That way, it's still not better than the beetle armor but it's like a DEF variant of turtle.
Only problem I see with this is that it would block out other mounts.
I dunno, I feel like that may be a bit over powered for turtle armor tanks.

I would not mind seeing this at all. I have always loved the turtle mount, but it always felt under powered (I have no idea why at all) jk Hopefully some changes are made to it.

This would make for a great early-hardmode way to fight Mechanical bosses, however the turtle mount will fall short when you begin preparing for Plantera and more. You don't need the extra 6 defense in that fight or the extra invulnerability, you need mobility and dps (you get the invulnerability from the Star Veil, which is a way better choice).

+/- Indifferent Support

Back
Top Bottom