• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Two fixes; pc crash on startup (black screen) and no steam overlay

Tyler Haley

Terrarian
Ok so i have two fixes hopefully, they worked for me anyway. so first one is crash on startup. this was happening on win 7 and win 10. i just got a new pc, (mb, cpu, ram all that.) but same monitor. so i thought it was weird i was getting crashes. so when i started up terraria it was crashing my whole pc, i would get this blackish screen and it would just crash i could not ctrl-alt - del , alt tab or anything, i would play a youtube vid to see what was going on and after a few min the vid would stop, so a weird crash, i would have to restart my pc. well i noticed that when i did get the game running and i exited the game my chrome would be smaller like i changed the resoltion. so a few things i tried was verifiying files. now i always get 1 or 2 files corrupted or missing and it relpaces those and after i restart my pc it would work. but i still was getting crashes. until i restarted my pc, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldnt. i tried compatibility mode for windows vista sp2, wind 7 , windows 8 , windows 10, and no compatibility. all things i seen online non of these worked. so back to the chrome windows being resized i thought about changing my resolution smaller and it worked. so i had my resoluion set to 1600x900 and was getting crashes. so i changed my resolution to 1280x720 and it fixed it. i have not had any crashes on startup yet!

now for the no steam overlay. once u get into terraria change the resolution and change it back and steam overlay will work!

so i think maybe the resolution code should have a second look. it seems like 1600x900 crashes on startup and no steam overlay until u change resolution. thank you for ur time.

Top Bottom