Weapons & Equip Two new equipment slots

Xylia

Terrarian
Quick, name two items that you pretty much always have equipped on you at any given time.

That would be Boots and Wings, right?

Well, some players willingly chuck the boots once they get wings to squeeze that one more accessory in, but I hate doing that, it makes you walk ridiculously slow.

So an idea came to me... why not add 2 more equipment slots in the "other item" list (where the Grappling Hook, Mount, etc are) for Movement Speed and Wings?

Wings are rather universal -- once you get to Hardmode, pretty much everyone has them, and the only reason you'd take them off is to free up an accessory slot for something more important, most likely because you're using the Cosmic Car Key or similar.

And Boots are even more universal! Pretty much as soon as you find a pair of Hermes, Flurry, or Sailfish boots... you're wearing boots clear up until you find wings and many players still wear them even after!

So, here's a list of what the game would allow you to put in these slots:

Boots:
Aglet
Anklet of the Wind
Ice Skates
Any Boots except Flower Boots

Wings:
Jetpack
Any Wings
Hoverboard

Prefixes would not apply to items equipped in these slots. So if you got a Lucky Lightning Boots and you want the crit... then you gotta put them in the accessory slot instead.

-OR-

With this change, we could simply remove Prefixes from all of these items altogether and treat them as though they are not accessories at all.

EDIT: There would also need to be a show/hide button for these two slots.

This is interesting. Now, I have an idea to improve it. Why not we have a "Mobility Tab" which have slots for Boots, Wings and Balloons? That way these three items can have their special place, also now I'm thinking we can take Mounts and Hooks to this new tab also, and opening a "Shield Slot" it the Equipment Tab. It should be like this;
Equipment Tab;
  • Pets
  • Light Pets
  • Minecarts
  • Shields
Mobility Tab;
  • Boots
  • Hooks
  • Mounts
  • Wings (opens in Hardmode)
What do you think about this. I'm just trying to improve it, because I like the entire idea ;) And removing prefixes from Wings and Boots also a required thing from this change.

I'm going to stop you right there. This would completely screw the balance of the game when it comes to accessories. You're essentially proposing adding 2 (3 if you count SteveIsNoob's suggested addition) permanent accessory slots for specific items. While leaving the existing 5.

The only way this wouldn't end up breaking balance completely is by not allowing reforges on Boots, Wings, or Shields, and even then you essentially have 8 accessory slots, and I should not have to say why that'll cause balance problems.

The existing Equipment page slots were added because they didn't have dedicated slots before and could be a pain to use as a result. None of them did much to actually affect your abilities or anything. Everything functions exactly as before (minus the part where mounts can be summoned with a keypress and pets/light pets are auto-summoned), it's just that the things have a place to go now.

What you're proposing basically adds 3 free accessory slots.

Well, we're not adding new accesory slots, we're adding new equipment slots, and yes, Boots/Wings/Shields won't be able to take modifiers. The reason why this thread exists is freeing some accesory slots to have more space to something really important.

Well, we're not adding new accesory slots, we're adding new equipment slots, and yes, Boots/Wings/Shields won't be able to take modifiers. The reason why this thread exists is freeing some accesory slots to have more space to something really important.
They're still accessories. They still have substantial effects that, per game balance, you might have to give up in favor of other things in certain situations. It STILL affects the game's balance negatively, regardless of how you try and pretty it up, precisely BECAUSE it frees up accessory slots whilst still keeping the effects.

Like I said, the other Equipment slots changed absolutely nothing functionally besides a few convenience things, hence justifying their existence. What you're proposing DOES change things functionally, because the items are still functional even outside the accessory slots. It's not for convenience, it's so you can evade the inevitable task of having to swap out accessories (which, granted, is a bit time-consuming, but them's the breaks).

There's other solutions to mobility in high-stress situations. Minecarts. Teleporters. Mounts. Hence, there's no justification for this concept. If you want higher damage, you have to sacrifice something else. That's the entire point of having a limited number of slots in the first place.

Basically, what Hexagonal is saying, by freeing up those two slots, players can and will put emblems into them, meaning you suddenly get another +20% damage or something. And thats pretty damn significant.

Basically, what Hexagonal is saying, by freeing up those two slots, players can and will put emblems into them, meaning you suddenly get another +20% damage or something. And thats pretty damn significant.

Players already do this when they get the Cosmic Car Key, though.

I don't know about anybody else, but when I fight the Cultist or the Moon Lord (IE, the only two things that really matter in Terraria other than Duke Fishron), I take my Wings and Boots off, hop in the Cosmic Car and equip an Emblem and a Cross Necklace.

There is no reason to wear Wings or Boots while using the Cosmic Car Key, and pretty much anybody I know, uses either the CCK or the Duke Fishron Expert Mount for fighting the Moon Lord, and I can tell you that anything Pre-Fishron doesn't matter because it's so easy anyways.

I fully support this idea. How the game is designed around having Boots, Shield and Wings (And the Worm Scarf in Expert Mode) after the points where you obtain them at is telling of how centralizing these three accessories are to the gameplay. As it stands; after they are obtained, there is limited room for customizing your accessory loadout; as you would effectively be left with two or three accessory slots in the end after acquiring them. This runs contrary to what accessories were designed to be: Abilities that you can swap in and out to customize your loadout.
However, leaving the player with 5 accessory slots with the change to Wings, Boots and Shield is a bit much. 4 Accessory slots after the change would be more appropriate. It would be also unreasonable to assume that every player will want to endure the RNG that is needed to get the Cosmic Car Keys after the other RNG stupidity the game forces you through or brave Expert Fishron to get the Cute Fishron Mount (the former of which is telling of how poorly the game is balanced towards the end...).

Players already do this when they get the Cosmic Car Key, though.
Yes, but consider that said mount is fairly endgame, whereas your suggestion would give the player this kind of damage up much earlier, when they enter hardmode.

i'm against this solely because we do enough damage already. if you can't slip a cross necklace into your build somewhere once hardmode rolls in then you need to re-think your arena construction.

we have a limited amount of accessories for a reason. you can either deal without damage boosts and equip utility accessories (boots, shield, necklace, mana flower...) or you can do more raw damage at the cost of being less flexible and more vulnerable. adding slots for boots and wings would comically trivialize building characters and there'd actually be less variety in builds because you now have good mobility and five/six accessory slots to load up with shield+cross necklace without sacrificing any damage emblems.

you have access to asphalt for arena construction and even leaf wings are good enough to carry you to the hoverboard. they're even good enough for fighting duke fishron so you can just farm up to fishron wings if you really wanted to.

i also disagree with the notion that shield/cross necklace are essential, but it's all down to preference at the end. the nurse can tank just about anything as long as the damage source isn't sustained and constantly on her.. put her in your arena construction more often. if you don't want to use the nurse, then practice and learn the boss patterns so you know how to properly avoid attacks.

Yes, but consider that said mount is fairly endgame, whereas your suggestion would give the player this kind of damage up much earlier, when they enter hardmode.

And again, you really don't get good damage emblems until Post-Mechs, and by then, all you got is Plantera and Golem left until you can get the Car Key. Golem is almost always cheaped anyways, and Plantera isn't really what I'd call a challenge to be honest. Not enough that 10% damage is going to suddenly break the game.

And again, you really don't get good damage emblems until Post-Mechs, and by then, all you got is Plantera and Golem left until you can get the Car Key. Golem is almost always cheaped anyways, and Plantera isn't really what I'd call a challenge to be honest. Not enough that 10% damage is going to suddenly break the game.
All a matter of opinion, whether or not you're adequately prepared, and whether or not you're playing Expert Mode. Also, if you're specializing in a particular class, 15% damage is nothing to sneeze at. Avenger Emblem only gives you 12% even if it's in all categories. So, technically speaking, there's no such thing as 'better emblems', unless you're aiming for no particular class of weaponry.

In fact, let me put it this way. With those two extra slots, one specialized emblem and an Avenger Emblem, you can get 27% more damage. Without losing the mobility from the boots and wings. If we count the shield slot, that's 37% with the Destroyer Emblem added. Do you have any idea how much of an effect that 27/37% extra damage actually has?
we have a limited amount of accessories for a reason. you can either deal without damage boosts and equip utility accessories (boots, shield, necklace, mana flower...) or you can do more raw damage at the cost of being less flexible and more vulnerable. adding slots for boots and wings would comically trivialize building characters and there'd actually be less variety in builds because you now have good mobility and five/six accessory slots to load up with shield+cross necklace without sacrificing any damage emblems.
I'd also like to point out this part of what Agastya said. We only have so many accessories, and removing two(/three) entire subclasses of accessory radically reduces the possibilties. And Terraria is a game that's partially dependent on depth.

At the end of the day, if you want mobility, you have to sacrifice damage (or durability). If you want damage, you have to sacrifice mobility (or durability). If you don't like that, you're playing the wrong game, buddy.

Those two mounts just offer infinite flight (which I want to point out is superior to most wings with that alone).

Furthermore, there are many more mounts that offer finite flight including honeyed goggles which is obtained from Queen Bee in pre-hardmode (before you even have the chance to get wings).

Those two mounts just offer infinite flight (which I want to point out is superior to most wings with that alone).

Furthermore, there are many more mounts that offer finite flight including honeyed goggles which is obtained from Queen Bee in pre-hardmode (before you even have the chance to get wings).
The bee is not infinite flight.
The "many more" are just, UFO, Cute Fishron and DCU, all of which are endgame and the latter stops you from attacking whatsoever.
So no.

Also, the wings generally are faster than the mounts, the exception here is fishron if its submerged in water.

The bee is not infinite flight.

Excuse me, but as far as I am aware, neither is any other flying accessory.

Also, while we are discussing new equipment slots I suggest we add a new slot for the magic mirror/cell phone and informational items.

Excuse me, but as far as I am aware, neither is any other flying accessory.
Also, he said FINITE flight. Of which there are three mounts- the bee (Honeyed Goggles), Pigron (Scaly Truffle), and Rudolph (Reindeer Bells). One's pre-Hardmode, one's accessible immediately in Hardmode, and the last is a Frost Moon drop.

While I like the idea of of more slots, mainly because I'm a collectathon nut and wish to be able to collect and use all items I earn in the game at once. (Things like both kind of boots and the like.) I don't see much point in this, you're not necessarily supposed to keep wings forever, and if you just like them for the look there are vanity slots. Most of the items that you're suggesting should get equipment slots are items that get out tiered later on anyway and have no real use. As Hexagonal Donut is reiterating over and over; it's not that you're incorrect that there are items that essentially do what wings do for free, but it's the fact that you're giving up certain things to do more damage in the first place, while you might be getting freebies some places; that doesn't necessarily mean it should be from here too. Wings are faster than the UFO mount, if you want both you can use both in strategic ways but you have to be willing to give up something for those items.

You can't have it all, and if you want it all go help with the modding community. (Note: Not saying to give up on this suggestion because that's rude. Nah I'm just saying you can use your enthusiasm and desire for such a thing and create something to satisfy your wants, someday maybe your mod would be officially added if you balanced it in some way that we can't understand here.)

Grappling Hook - Something you earn as you play, something you can create fairly easy and was usable within your Inventory already- This item makes sense to have an equipment slot because you were already able to use it at a key press. That being said for all the items involved that have equipment slots now, were all usable and stayed in use during whatever variable situation they had surrounding them the equipment slots didn't change anything; the problem with adding an "equipment slot" for the other items is the simple fact that they do more beneficial things than just simple equipment, that's what differs them as an accessory vs equipment in the first place. I'd like to say; again. I want to be able to use my items, more of them because I earned them, I put the time and effort trying to get a desert for sand in the bottle, all the other bottles, to get myself a lovely jumping balloon. However we need to look at this from another angle.

Why can't we combine a lot of the accessories? They would be easily combined- it's for the same reason. It makes the strategic of Terraria Null and void. There's barely any strategy for the most part in the game anyways, it's juke boss projectiles, build an arena, win. Rinse and repeat. The idea that you get more equipment on top of these things will make things too easy for anyone that's just playing the game as normal.

Do I think there should be a way to have those things as well? Yes, do I believe this is the way to do it- no. We need to find another way to do something similar that allows you all your gear, while not changing fundamental truths in the game; without breaking it and keeping a balance. Those are my thoughts on it.

Back
Top Bottom