Other Two Simple New World Customisation Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_

Terrarian
1. Allow players to pick if they want corruption or crimson, even if they haven't beaten the game yet.
2. Allow players to pick what ore generates in the world - copper/tin, iron/lead, etc.

I've had Terraria since 2013, yet I've never beaten it! I'm planning on giving it another go once 1.4 comes out and I'm hoping these changes make it in that update. When I first played the game, there was no crimson, nor the 4 alternate ores. I'd love to create a world that has corruption and the 4 classic ores so it feels like I'm playing in 2013 again but with all the new, awesome content.

It's not much but I'm sure a lot of people would also like the change to be made. Not only is it good for older players like myself but it's good for people who want a specific resource for a building project or if someone simply prefers an ore over the other.

Thanks for reading! I'd like to become a game designer one day and therefore hope you like my suggestion!

1. Allow players to pick if they want corruption or crimson, even if they haven't beaten the game yet.
2. Allow players to pick what ore generates in the world - copper/tin, iron/lead, etc.

I've had Terraria since 2013, yet I've never beaten it! I'm planning on giving it another go once 1.4 comes out and I'm hoping these changes make it in that update. When I first played the game, there was no crimson, nor the 4 alternate ores. I'd love to create a world that has corruption and the 4 classic ores so it feels like I'm playing in 2013 again but with all the new, awesome content.

It's not much but I'm sure a lot of people would also like the change to be made. Not only is it good for older players like myself but it's good for people who want a specific resource for a building project or if someone simply prefers an ore over the other.

Thanks for reading! I'd like to become a game designer one day and therefore hope you like my suggestion!
Number 1 in is the game once you beat the Wall of Flesh on any world. There is so much content after Wall of Flesh that I don't really consider that beating the game.
Number 2 isn't a good idea, because all ore alternatives are just better than the classic ones. Why would I ever pick copper, iron, silver, or gold, when I can have just something straight up better in stats? If you want the ores that aren't in your world, then feel free to open crates or use an extractinator.

People may like the look of the old ones more. I tend to use iron doors and fences more than their lead counterparts when building. Plus copper plating looks so much better in most things, especially after some painting.

People may like the look of the old ones more. I tend to use iron doors and fences more than their lead counterparts when building. Plus copper plating looks so much better in most things, especially after some painting.
Again, crates and silt.

That's incredibly tedious in comparison, though; both of those require you to find a thing and then cross your fingers, while just having the ores in the world requires you to simply find a thing.
Not to mention the latter option also has a lot MORE of the ore.
It isn't balanced to be able to pick and choose these ores. If you want them that badly for building you can just generate another world.

It isn't balanced to be able to pick and choose these ores. If you want them that badly for building you can just generate another world.
Ah yEs, of cOUrsE, MorE FINger-CrOsSIng! I have literally gone 5 worlds in a row now without ever getting Lead; do you really wanna leave players at RNG's mercy for building purposes?
I'm pushin' it with the attitude, here, apologies, but I'm truly unsure of where the balance issue lies. I usually skip the ore armors entirely, only using them to upgrade tools if another alternative isn't immediately available. Playstyles and skill levels, yeah, I know, but my point's that they aren't game-changing when you've got the Jungle and Meteors and Evil Biomes, etc., to loot from.

do you really wanna leave players at RNG's mercy for building purposes?

Yes, because:
A: It's just building purposes.
B: Making 5 worlds in a row without Lead is the equivalent of rolling a 1 thrice in a row
C: Making a Small world takes like, 3 minutes.

The problem with letting you pick the ore variant isn't the fact that the 1.2 ores are objectively better, it's the fact that the differences are so small that it's just a cosmetic difference, something meant to make each world feel more unique. If you could have the ability to choose the variants, then that feeling of uniqueness in each run is lost.

Yeah, who cares? Millions of people wasting 3 minutes doesn't add up at all.
Millions of people's annoyance doesn't add up, though. That wouldn't make sense and isn't how people work.

Anyway, my point is: Just because you wouldn't use it in an unbalanced manner doesn't mean that other people wouldn't. This suggestion would make it less tedious for building, sure. But it would also make most worlds just brainlessly have the superior ores generated, because their stats are superior and people like to look at numbers and choose those above all else.

Last edited:
Number 1 in is the game once you beat the Wall of Flesh on any world. There is so much content after Wall of Flesh that I don't really consider that beating the game.
Number 2 isn't a good idea, because all ore alternatives are just better than the classic ones. Why would I ever pick copper, iron, silver, or gold, when I can have just something straight up better in stats? If you want the ores that aren't in your world, then feel free to open crates or use an extractinator.

1. I know it's in the game later on. I'd like it to be a starting option though as there's no reason not to have it as an option and it would be incredibly useful.
2. Number 2 is a good idea. I'd like to make a world with the classic ores. You want to make a world with the alternate ores. Having the option would be useful to both of us.

"It isn't balanced" isn't a valid argument. If you're playing multiplayer, everyone has access to the same ores.

Yes, because:
A: It's just building purposes.
B: Making 5 worlds in a row without Lead is the equivalent of rolling a 1 thrice in a row
C: Making a Small world takes like, 3 minutes.

The problem with letting you pick the ore variant isn't the fact that the 1.2 ores are objectively better, it's the fact that the differences are so small that it's just a cosmetic difference, something meant to make each world feel more unique. If you could have the ability to choose the variants, then that feeling of uniqueness in each run is lost.
A: It's not just building purposes. I've already given my example of how I'd like a world with the classic ores for the nostalgia/classic feeling.
B: Trying to get a classic world with the four classic ores and corruption is a 1/2^5 chance or 3.125%
C: Large worlds can take much longer than 3 minutes, depending on your computer. Simply having the option from the start means you only need to generate a single world.

"If you could have the ability to choose the variants, then that feeling of uniqueness in each run is lost." This is a terrible argument. If you want to have random ores then select the "random ores" option. Your "feeling of uniqueness" is subjective, just like how my "classic feeling" is also subjective. We want different things. If we had my two world customisation choices, we'd both get what we want.

"It isn't balanced" isn't a valid argument. If you're playing multiplayer, everyone has access to the same ores.
I don't understand how that invalidates my argument. Playing multiplayer is different anyway, because you can have more people fishing at once to get crates which have these other ores. Enemies are more common so slimes which drop the other ores are therefore more common. The reason it isn't balanced is because some ores are just innately stronger than others, and that is why it's random which pool of ores you get.

I don't understand how that invalidates my argument. Playing multiplayer is different anyway, because you can have more people fishing at once to get crates which have these other ores. Enemies are more common so slimes which drop the other ores are therefore more common. The reason it isn't balanced is because some ores are just innately stronger than others, and that is why it's random which pool of ores you get.

You don't have an argument! You're saying my idea is bad because of a problem YOU'VE created! I'd like the option to choose what ores I'd like in my world. If you don't want that option, then just create a world with random ores like you already do! Seriously, my suggestion impacts you in no way. Stop saying it's a terrible idea when it literally doesn't change anything for you.

A: It's not just building purposes. I've already given my example of how I'd like a world with the classic ores for the nostalgia/classic feeling.
B: Trying to get a classic world with the four classic ores and corruption is a 1/2^5 chance or 3.125%
C: Large worlds can take much longer than 3 minutes, depending on your computer. Simply having the option from the start means you only need to generate a single world.

"If you could have the ability to choose the variants, then that feeling of uniqueness in each run is lost." This is a terrible argument. If you want to have random ores then select the "random ores" option. Your "feeling of uniqueness" is subjective, just like how my "classic feeling" is also subjective. We want different things. If we had my two world customisation choices, we'd both get what we want.
A: The problem with that is that others would exploit this feature to get the stronger ores every single time.
B: You can factor corruption out of that. Being able to choose corruption is gated behind just over 25% of the game's content.
C: That wasn't his point. The point was generating a bunch of small worlds, seeing if they have the ores you want, then deleting them once you have what you need. Large worlds are completely invalid in this example.

It's not a feeling of uniqueness being lost, it's the fact that some ores are weaker and stronger in every playthrough and it's basically gating power behind knowledge intentionally.

You don't have an argument! You're saying my idea is bad because of a problem YOU'VE created! I'd like the option to choose what ores I'd like in my world. If you don't want that option, then just create a world with random ores like you already do! Seriously, my suggestion impacts you in no way. Stop saying it's a terrible idea when it literally doesn't change anything for you.
Yes, I'm a developer of terraria, I'm totally that. I totally made the stats of prehm ores assymetrical.

It DOES affect me. I play multiplayer, and I'm rarely the host. People will just choose the strongest ores every. single. time. It doesn't matter that you have self control, because not everyone does. I also fish quite a lot, and guess what 4 ores are going to clog up my storage if I have the strongest ores available every playthrough?

Edit: If you're unapposed to mods, TerraCustom lets you choose ores and world evils on world generation.

Is is just building and cosmetic purposes. The whole reason they allow you to choose Crimson/Corruption now is because the difference between the two is simply massive. On the contrary, the early game variants for ores are not gameplay significant at all. You completely stop caring about them after the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, which will be after at most 4 hours in a normal run. If they add the feature to the game, then I can guarantee you that:

A: You will use it exactly once, just for that "Nostalgia/Classic world" that you want, and then you will never care about it again.
B: No one else will care about it, because as I said the differences are practically visual so everyone would still just randomize for fun.
C: Problems will arise with that there wouldn't a single objective reason to not make a world with Tin/Lead/Tungsten/Platinum.

And lastly, you say my feeling of uniqueness is subjective, except that it simply isn't. It's objective. That's how the game was designed. Just like a world has a 1/3 chance to never spawn one of Salamanders, Giant Shellies or Crawdads. Or how there were 3 new variants added to Pre Mech ores, with the originals focusing on raw stats and others on fancy set bonuses. Or how there are exclusive variants of Tree designs on each world. Or how some worlds don't have those Giant Trees with rooms underground. Or Enchanted Swords and especially Arkhalis having a chance to simply not exist in some world.

And none of these things alter your run in any significant way, they are just meant to give something special to every world. Giving players the ability to remove a big part of each world's uniqueness (The Ore randomization) just because you and maybe a couple others want one "Nostalgia/Classic world" is a bad idea.

My greatest fear is that if this gets added, then people will want to choose hardmode ores too. And those have the potential to massively affect your playthrough (titanium and palladium especially).

A: The problem with that is that others would exploit this feature to get the stronger ores every single time.
B: You can factor corruption out of that. Being able to choose corruption is gated behind just over 25% of the game's content.
C: That wasn't his point. The point was generating a bunch of small worlds, seeing if they have the ores you want, then deleting them once you have what you need. Large worlds are completely invalid in this example.

It's not a feeling of uniqueness being lost, it's the fact that some ores are weaker and stronger in every playthrough and it's basically gating power behind knowledge intentionally.

Yes, I'm a developer of terraria, I'm totally that. I totally made the stats of prehm ores assymetrical.

It DOES affect me. I play multiplayer, and I'm rarely the host. People will just choose the strongest ores every. single. time. It doesn't matter that you have self control, because not everyone does. I also fish quite a lot, and guess what 4 ores are going to clog up my storage if I have the strongest ores available every playthrough?

Edit: If you're unapposed to mods, TerraCustom lets you choose ores and world evils on world generation.

A: Don't play with those people.
B: I was giving an example of a classical world as that's what I would like. 3.125% is far too low to just keep on generating new worlds.
C: I'd like my world to have the classical ores. Generating a new world for the ore isn't a valid compromise.

So you believe that because a couple of idiots lack self-control, the rest of us should not have access to basic world customisation? That's a terrible argument.

Is is just building and cosmetic purposes. The whole reason they allow you to choose Crimson/Corruption now is because the difference between the two is simply massive. On the contrary, the early game variants for ores are not gameplay significant at all. You completely stop caring about them after the Eye of Cthulhu has been defeated, which will be after at most 4 hours in a normal run. If they add the feature to the game, then I can guarantee you that:

A: You will use it exactly once, just for that "Nostalgia/Classic world" that you want, and then you will never care about it again.
B: No one else will care about it, because as I said the differences are practically visual so everyone would still just randomize for fun.
C: Problems will arise with that there wouldn't a single objective reason to not make a world with Tin/Lead/Tungsten/Platinum.

And lastly, you say my feeling of uniqueness is subjective, except that it simply isn't. It's objective. That's how the game was designed. Just like a world has a 1/3 chance to never spawn one of Salamanders, Giant Shellies or Crawdads. Or how there were 3 new variants added to Pre Mech ores, with the originals focusing on raw stats and others on fancy set bonuses. Or how there are exclusive variants of Tree designs on each world. Or how some worlds don't have those Giant Trees with rooms underground. Or Enchanted Swords and especially Arkhalis having a chance to simply not exist in some world.

And none of these things alter your run in any significant way, they are just meant to give something special to every world. Giving players the ability to remove a big part of each world's uniqueness (The Ore randomization) just because you and maybe a couple others want one "Nostalgia/Classic world" is a bad idea.

A: It doesn't matter if it is just once. It would save so much time instead of randomising the world over and over or downloading a tedious mod for the option.
B: Many people would like the option and no one can provide a valid argument not to have the option.
C: What problems? Who cares if you generate a world with the alternate ores? If having the option bugs you so much, just generate your own world. If someone offers you Coca Cola and Pepsi, you don't say "you shouldn't offer me Pepsi, I'll always take Coca Cola". That's such a ridiculous thing to say.

"That's how the game was designed." The game was designed with 4 ores and 1 evil biome. I'd love the option to play it that way again yet still retain the new ores and all the other cool features. Also I've not seen all that other stuff you mentioned. Most of that probably wasn't in the game when I first started playing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom