Linux (Ubuntu) Player Movement stutter.

EmeraldLizard

Terrarian
The bulk of system information is displayed in the attached file however, that is not all. I am not certain of my .NET version although, I have installed it according to this link.
The Issue is occasionally I will be walking and while holding down the walk (left/right) button my character will slow down and stutter. The behavior is that of submerged honey. It appears as though the character is receiving hundreds of multiple short pressed commands to walk instead of the constant command that it should be receiving by my keyboard. The behavior most often occurs when turning and usually last several seconds.

Note: The game itself is not stuttering, nor is the fps, as I can still get attacked at full speed by incoming mobs.

(P.S. I do apologize for the formatting. I am not the best at making things user-friendly)

Edit:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install libsdl2-dev

copy /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.8.0

delete /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
and
/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0

paste libSDL2-2.0.so.0.8.0 to both directories

-
I followed this guide roughly
enabled repeat keys (minimum delay, maximum speed)
worling perfectly

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-07-01 02-39-08.png
    Screenshot from 2019-07-01 02-39-08.png
    217.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Got two questions:

1. Do you by chance dual boot windows so you can check if this happens to you in Windows?

2. I assume the character restarting the movement happens with other keyboards, but we should test to make sure.

Got two questions:

1. Do you by chance dual boot windows so you can check if this happens to you in Windows?

2. I assume the character restarting the movement happens with other keyboards, but we should test to make sure.

1. I am not dual booting windows. I have completely deleted the partition before installation. I have a 100% linux system.

2. I tried my old alienware keyboard. it has the same problem. Both the built in keyboard (it's a laptop) and the external keyboard produce the effect.

I should also note that i have not received this issue on my windows desktop using the same keyboard.

The Issue is occasionally I will be walking and while holding down the walk (left/right) button my character will slow down and stutter. The behavior is that of submerged honey. It appears as though the character is receiving hundreds of multiple short pressed commands to walk instead of the constant command that it should be receiving by my keyboard.

If this is the same thing I had, the only workaround I know of is to turn off keyboard repeat in the system controls.

This isn't perfect -- if you switch to and from other programs, they can turn it back on without telling the control panel; this is probably why using terminal-setting commands in the launch script didn't work too well. So I keep the control panel page open in the background, and if the stutter comes back, I just go back to the control panel and toggle the setting on and off again before switching back to Terraria.

The bulk of system information is displayed in the attached file however, that is not all. I am not certain of my .NET version although, I have installed it according to this link.
The Issue is occasionally I will be walking and while holding down the walk (left/right) button my character will slow down and stutter. The behavior is that of submerged honey. It appears as though the character is receiving hundreds of multiple short pressed commands to walk instead of the constant command that it should be receiving by my keyboard. The behavior most often occurs when turning and usually last several seconds.

Note: The game itself is not stuttering, nor is the fps, as I can still get attacked at full speed by incoming mobs.

(P.S. I do apologize for the formatting. I am not the best at making things user-friendly)

Edit:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install libsdl2-dev

copy /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL2-2.0.so.0.8.0

delete /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
and
/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Terraria/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0

paste libSDL2-2.0.so.0.8.0 to both directories

-
I followed this guide roughly
enabled repeat keys (minimum delay, maximum speed)
worling perfectly

Hey, folks. Just dropped in to say...

1. The fix worked. I made two soft links to the libraries installed in my system.

2. There's an error on your post; if you copy the x86_64 library to both directories and try to launch the 32 bits version you'll probably be in for some trouble...

There's a big caveat to the 'it worked' item, though: even though there's no more input problem, I can no longer alt-tab out of the game and use the desktop normally. Gnome becomes unusable if I try to do this. Here's a link to my system info: Computer Information: Manufacturer: Unknown Model: Unknown Form - Pastebin.com

Would someone kindly give us some feedback on this bug?
I'd also like to thank you guys for supporting Linux. Really, can't quite express how much I love that you guys support Linux! :)

2. There's an error on your post; if you copy the x86_64 library to both directories and try to launch the 32 bits version you'll probably be in for some trouble...
...and more errors in addition, this $ sudo apt install libsdl2-dev will install development files (but pull the real library as dependency afaik) and it might only install either 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your installed distribution. You might want to add libsdl2.i686 (or something) for only the 32-bit dynamic library. (dunno who really needs that today though?). I dont have ubuntu myself so I cant say I got the correct spelling on on package names.

And furthermore, is it really necessary to copy any libraries? I just deleted the bundled libraries (except mojoshader). The system should know where to find them if they are installed. I have the GOG version though, but it would be surprising if steam is doing something to prevent normal linux library lookup.

Copying lilbraries around like is just messy and you will need to re-do it in case Ubuntu fixes any bugs in it's version later. At the very least use a symlink if above default lookup does not work.

Edit: Oh, oops. Did not most recent post was from last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom