[UK] Terraria: Exploration and Adventure Handbook Out Now!

Safeman🌻

Community Manager
Staff member
Re-Logic
Hello Terrarians!

The third book in Puffin's guide series, Terraria: Exploration and Adventure Handbook, is out now in the UK!

divid.png

b3putnow.jpg
The third book in the Terraria Guide series, the Exploration and Adventure Handbook focuses on the world around you, covering everything from floating islands to the Underworld. If you are a new player, an experienced Terrarian, or a collector, this guide series is for you! Check out the preview below and/or order yours here.

SneakPeak1.jpg

divi.png

Missed books 1 and 2? Check out Terraria: The Ultimate Survival Handbook and Terraria: Crafting and Construction Handbook, available now! Our team is super excited about these additions to the world of Terraria. Already have your copy? Tell us what you think! :)
Thanks as always for your support!​

So, I haven't seen editions 1 and 2, but what the hell is this?

If you're going to write a book about Terraria, at least make it a novel. Something interesting.

I will not be buying this book, nor will I be buying the other two. These are books for children.

I feel like collectors would love them as well. I have gotten kind of lazy lately and google everything, but I used to LOVE getting strategy guides and collectors books for all the games I obsessed over. Some books I used often, some just sat on a shelf because I loved the game so much :)

I have to say that - for me - the collectible nature of these is still pretty high, even if you already know every single bit of info inside. Penguin did a really good job with these handbooks, imho.

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to write 3 books of information about this game. The game isn't rocket science, so I wonder what kind of stuff is in there to try to keep the books interesting. Seems like a waste of money to buy them.
Buuuuuuut hey, if people want to spend money on something that's also available in the form of a free online wiki, more power to them!

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to write 3 books of information about this game. The game isn't rocket science, so I wonder what kind of stuff is in there to try to keep the books interesting. Seems like a waste of money to buy them.
Buuuuuuut hey, if people want to spend money on something that's also available in the form of a free online wiki, more power to them!
They are guides, not story, so the content isn't so much trying to capture your imagination as much as inform you. There is plenty of events, bosses, armor, gear, items, crafting, building, etc in Terraria to fill up 3 guides and more!

As much as I'd love to have a few books about my favourite game,
but being 16 and all my mother still controls my economy and the last thing she'll do is buy books about a game ^-^

I feel like collectors would love them as well. I have gotten kind of lazy lately and google everything, but I used to LOVE getting strategy guides and collectors books for all the games I obsessed over. Some books I used often, some just sat on a shelf because I loved the game so much :)
Hey man, sorry if it seems out of place for me saying this, but I am very strongly opposed to books like these. Keep that in mind before you read the following message I have to you, as I mean no offense.

If you work for Re-Logic, aren't you obligated to say this? I know that you may still love it either way, but you're still biased. As for collectors, they have the collectors edition for a reason. Again, while novels or the like would be fine, I just don't agree with this marketing.

I have to say that - for me - the collectible nature of these is still pretty high, even if you already know every single bit of info inside. Penguin did a really good job with these handbooks, imho.
Same as above.

I love my books. They are so well done. Glossy and eye catching, and I love having them. Here is my little collection.

View attachment 147282
Same as above.

Exactly. Based on the images they gave of it, it doesn't seem to be entertaining. Perhaps a business strategy, in order to get younger kids interested in the game, but not as a serious endeavor.

They are guides, not story, so the content isn't so much trying to capture your imagination as much as inform you. There is plenty of events, bosses, armor, gear, items, crafting, building, etc in Terraria to fill up 3 guides and more!
Why would they need a guide if they have the wiki, as @Gotcha! said.

@Sonnette, I think you are missing the point. If this product doesn't appeal to you, that's OK - just move along to something else. The notice is here to make people aware of it, that's all. It's Re-Logic's forum and their outlet for news.

Yes, these books are aimed at children, as most books published by Penguin are. The store page says Ages: 8-11. They are not meant for experienced, older Terraria players in the sense of teaching them something new. Rather, they are aimed for younger people who may only get limited time to play, and many children are limited by their parents who may not allow randomly searching websites or wikis for game info. The store page comments are very positive and mostly reflect their purchase as gifts for children/grandchildren.

Or, you know - just maybe we actually like them.

You seem to have Re-Logic confused with a corporate behemoth. No one at our company is "required" to say anything (other than @Safeman making people aware of course).

If it isn't for you, that's cool, not everyone feels the same about things - but the notion that we are acting like cash-grabbers is kind of disputed by 5 years of pretty strong evidence. Of course people can use a wiki - much the same can be said of any print vs digital media, to be honest. Just saying - not liking the books is cool...but taking that as a route to question our character is more than a bit much. :)

...and I'll just leave it at that and stop distracting the thread.

Yes, these books are aimed at children, as most books published by Penguin are. The store page says Ages: 8-11. They are not meant for experienced, older Terraria players in the sense of teaching them something new. Rather, they are aimed for younger people who may only get limited time to play, and many children are limited by their parents who may not allow randomly searching websites or wikis for game info. The store page comments are very positive and mostly reflect their purchase as gifts for children/grandchildren.
I don't know much about Penguin, but it does seem to be that way.

Or, you know - just maybe we actually like them.
Well, yeah, of course, but still, you're a bit biased.

No one at our company is "required" to say anything (other than @Safeman making people aware of course).
This is why I aimed my question specifically at Safeman. Re-Logic is amazing, don't get me wrong, but if the person in charge of publicity (Or at least forum-wide) claimed he didn't like it, what would that show. Hence, my statement of "Obligation."

If it isn't for you, that's cool, not everyone feels the same about things - but the notion that we are acting like cash-grabbers is kind of disputed by 5 years of pretty strong evidence. Of course people can use a wiki - much the same can be said of any print vs digital media, to be honest. Just saying - not liking the books is cool...but taking that as a route to question our character is more than a bit much. :)
Of course. I have very strong opinions, and I am not attempting to claim you are "Cash-grabbers." I know Re-Logic, I just don't believe this is a very good route, and I disagree to you guys marketing towards younger children.

...and I'll just leave it at that and stop distracting the thread.
As will I, as my point is abundantly clear, even if you disagree.

Again, sorry if it looks like I was judging anybody's character, I just saw some flaws in the logic. Thanks for at least having valid arguments.

Personally, I love strategy and video game guides, especially in book form. That's not bias, that's just fact. I have dozens of strategy guides accumulated over several decades of gaming, some of which I bought literally only as a collectible item. My bookshelf actually strains under the weight of them, and I suspect one day it may actually collapse. One of my most treasured items is my Final Fantasy 1 "strategy guide", which was actually an issue of Nintendo Power that I got when I was only 4.

They are entirely optional and non-required, but I consider there to be nothing negative about them in principle. As for why someone would purchase them in the age of wikis . . . well, remember, some children aren't allowed to use the internet. Perhaps as the years carry on, this perspective will be relaxed by increasingly internet-comfortable parents, but many parents won't let their 6 or 7 year old children use the internet unsupervised, while few would share the same concerns for a book.

I don't own these books, and at my level of knowledge in Terraria (5 years and several thousand hours of experience under my belt), I'd be unlikely to buy them at this point. But if I were just starting out, I'd be all about this sort of thing. A wiki is nice, but I'm big on my collectibles and tangible ownership. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom