Ultimate Mob Autofarm (all Mimic drops, 5 Biome Keys, Souls of Light/Night, RoD, many other drops)

Do you have an example on how to wire up only three dart traps for the six surfaces?

The schematic in the opening post shows the way it can be done. Since the Mimics are two tiles tall, you can place each dart trap so that it fires a dart 1 tile above the bottom surface, and fires a dart directly above the next surface. The next dart trap is placed 2 tiles above the first one etc.

If I am to the side is there a safe method to collect the loot that is beyond reach?

You can periodically teleport yourself to a box below the kill chamber and then teleport yourself back to the side (the slime comes with you even). You can wait for a long while before you do this since most drops get collected even from the side.

I found a 3rd party website that utilizes Xbox Live's pubic user content allowing you to get embed codes for your screenshots and videos taken from the Xbox dashboard. Unfortunately Xbox Live does not directly support this function for some unknown reason. Did they forget about the advent of the internet?
http://xboxdvr.com/
Users do not need to sign up for an account. Anyone can post anybody else's content as it is all public. Think of it as a 3rd party kill board for a game that already has a kill board. They publish your data regardless of you using the site or not.

Ah, nice, thanks for the link!

Hi
@DicemanX what is the mod that allowes your free cam mod ? I heard it in the video but cant come up with anything usefull in google. Can you provide a link?
And what software did you use to shoot the video ? I am really curious.

I need those for some ideas i want to present:

1. Farming Station while you wait for the martial drone to appear ( ft. my FarmTower ) - finished
2. 2 Arena Spawn Comparasion - finished
3. The FarmTower (the general idea) - in progress

Nice Map. So many ideas in it which i still have to come up with on my own.

@DicemanX
Could not overcome the issues with the hoik. May wind up trying to reverse all of the teeth.
I'd consider this a successful console build! Does what it was supposed to do.
Just need to pretty it up a bit.
Screenshot-Original[1].png Screenshot-Original[1].png

VIDEO PROOF!

At some point I'll wind up adding corruption blocks and another side for hallow.

Spawn rate is a bit low. Snow and Hallow layers spawn bunnies and skeletons rather than their respective mobs.
:shug: Guess that is to come in the 1.3 patch. Easy enough to build volcanos for those.

I'm VERY HAPPY with this build!

Thanks a lot @DicemanX !!!!

Last edited:
Hi
@DicemanX what is the mod that allowes your free cam mod ? I heard it in the video but cant come up with anything usefull in google. Can you provide a link?
And what software did you use to shoot the video ? I am really curious.

Here's the link to the T-MEC community mod:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mechmod-a-t-mec-community-mod.38088/

I primarily use OBS for recording videos. I initially used FRAPS, but it's a pain to deal with gigantic uncompressed videos and I didn't notice a difference in quality between OBS and FRAPS anyways once the vids were uploaded to youtube.

I also use the Videopad Video Editor because its free and has decent editing tools.

Last edited:
@DicemanX
Could not overcome the issues with the hoik. May wind up trying to reverse all of the teeth.
I'd consider this a successful console build! Does what it was supposed to do.
Just need to pretty it up a bit.
View attachment 92413 View attachment 92414

VIDEO PROOF!

At some point I'll wind up adding corruption blocks and another side for hallow.

Spawn rate is a bit low. Snow and Hallow layers spawn bunnies and skeletons rather than their respective mobs.
:shug: Guess that is to come in the 1.3 patch. Easy enough to build volcanos for those.

I'm VERY HAPPY with this build!

Thanks a lot @DicemanX !!!!

You're making some nice progress! I'm glad the build is working out well. I'm also learning along with you since I don't have access to console Terraria :). Keep me updated as you continue work on the farm (don't forget to add all the biome blocks to enable keymold and souls drops).

You're making some nice progress! I'm glad the build is working out well. I'm also learning along with you since I don't have access to console Terraria :). Keep me updated as you continue work on the farm (don't forget to add all the biome blocks to enable keymold and souls drops).
Will do buddy!

...for anyone like me, who can't seem to get the invulnerability part working, I found that I had to:
  1. Teleport to the entrance
  2. Mount the slime mount
  3. Face right
  4. Move as far right as possible
  5. Throw the switch to get into the kill chamber
  6. Tap down
...and it finally worked, killing mobs, instead of watching my health being eaten, or burning up in lava. So, uh, yeah, that took an embarrassingly long time to figure out, but that works for me.

Well, mostly. I still sometimes get hurt by the mobs, but at least it seems to mostly work. Edit to add: works, like, 10 percent of the time. Could just be bouncing off existing mobs, then falling in the lava. :(

Last edited:
...for anyone like me, who can't seem to get the invulnerability part working, I found that I had to:
  1. Teleport to the entrance
  2. Mount the slime mount
  3. Face right
  4. Move as far right as possible
  5. Throw the switch to get into the kill chamber
  6. Tap down
...and it finally worked, killing mobs, instead of watching my health being eaten, or burning up in lava. So, uh, yeah, that took an embarrassingly long time to figure out, but that works for me.

Well, mostly. I still sometimes get hurt by the mobs, but at least it seems to mostly work.

It's strange why a few are having trouble with the invulnerability part, and the rest have no trouble at all. The key is to make sure you're always bouncing on both dummies, because each time you hit a dummy you are granted invincibility frames and bouncing on two ensures continuous invincibility. Not sure why you'd be getting hit occasionally though - are you playing on a server or are you using any weapons or minions that do piercing damage? If not, then I'm not quite sure what the culprit might be.

It's strange why a few are having trouble with the invulnerability part, and the rest have no trouble at all.

Mmmm. It's a mystery to me, too. I'm reasonably sure I'm not using a piercing weapon, or minion, because I can reproduce this without any minion summoned, or firing any weapon at all. No server, either, just local. Just hallowed armor, no accessories that do damage.

I am playing on the Mac, which I've seen the occasional comment about making a difference, but it's hard to imagine that the invulnerability frames are different, even if other things are.

If I had to guess at a cause, I'd guess that I'm somehow not understanding how to get the dummy bouncing going, but hey, I figure: build a different model of this machine, see if I can make it work. Then I eliminate "can't figure it out" through experimentation, at least. :)

Last edited:
If I had to guess at a cause, I'd guess that I'm somehow not understanding how to get the dummy bouncing going, but hey, I figure: build a different model of this machine, see if I can make it work. Then I eliminate "can't figure it out" through experimentation, at least. :)

There's a bit of wiggle room when it comes to positioning on top of the dummies - you can slide a bit to the left or right and still be OK, because you'll still be making contact with both dummies. I'll have to ask any other players that have experienced this issue whether they are on a mac too - maybe there's some difference between PC and Mac that we're not aware of?

There's a bit of wiggle room when it comes to positioning on top of the dummies - you can slide a bit to the left or right and still be OK, because you'll still be making contact with both dummies. I'll have to ask any other players that have experienced this issue whether they are on a mac too - maybe there's some difference between PC and Mac that we're not aware of?

...I'm reasonably certain that this is actually caused by TEdit not placing all the right things for dummies, actually! If I had place them, they work. If I just tedit the sprites into place, they don't get bounced on.

That also applies for copy and paste of otherwise correct dummies, so... that's probably what's at the heart of this. I'm still testing, but I think it's probably "don't use TEdit to place dummies, and things work" territory.

...and confirmed: I had to hand-replace all the dummies for things to work, but once they are replaced, everything is fine. So, pro tip, I guess, current tedit doesn't transfer dummies around correctly, and they lose their ghosts or whatever.

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest one small change to your directions: I found that it's actually way more reliable to use an auto-swing weapon (Fetid Baghnakhs, in my case) than a minion to deal with the mimics that sit higher than the slime. They seem to kill them much faster, and more effectively, than minions -- and they don't run the risk of bumping me out of invulnerability if I don't yet have the non-piercing minions.

That assumes you have some way to "hold" your left mouse button down while AFK, if you want to automate it. Personally I use Karabiner on OS-X so I can fn-click to lock the button, but there are plenty of solutions out there.

Otherwise, it's all great except for one thing: lots of mobs (granite elementals, corruption floating enemies, hornets) seem to get stuck in the up/down arrows. I'm not sure if that's common for you or not, but it's certainly collecting them at a great rate in my farming...

I'd like to suggest one small change to your directions: I found that it's actually way more reliable to use an auto-swing weapon (Fetid Baghnakhs, in my case) than a minion to deal with the mimics that sit higher than the slime. They seem to kill them much faster, and more effectively, than minions -- and they don't run the risk of bumping me out of invulnerability if I don't yet have the non-piercing minions.

That assumes you have some way to "hold" your left mouse button down while AFK, if you want to automate it. Personally I use Karabiner on OS-X so I can fn-click to lock the button, but there are plenty of solutions out there.

You can rubber-band the LMB too. The Baghnakhs is a great suggestion for both the cavern farming (mimics) and the dungeon farming (dungeon spirits) mainly because of how early you can get them without having to wait until post Plantera to get the minions. The kill rate on the mimics is nice although not critical, since the turnover rate only slows if the mob count builds up, but that won't happen in this style of farm.

Otherwise, it's all great except for one thing: lots of mobs (granite elementals, corruption floating enemies, hornets) seem to get stuck in the up/down arrows. I'm not sure if that's common for you or not, but it's certainly collecting them at a great rate in my farming...

I haven't seen a build-up, but I haven't farmed for extended periods of time. I'm surprised that mobs make it there, but this should be easy to take care of - we could eliminate the fancy arrows and wall-mounted levers and just opt for switches. I might tinker with this once 1.3.1 is released, assuming that the farm components remain intact :).

I haven't seen a build-up, but I haven't farmed for extended periods of time. I'm surprised that mobs make it there, but this should be easy to take care of - we could eliminate the fancy arrows and wall-mounted levers and just opt for switches. I might tinker with this once 1.3.1 is released, assuming that the farm components remain intact :).

I'd be so sad! The arrows were awesome, and I liked them very much. The levers are much easier to be confident targetting too. Possibly useful, this happened before I was using anything like the claws in there, so it isn't just knockback.

I wonder if it's maybe a long enough thing sitting on the teleporter gets zapped through the wall, and then springs out to the left or right into the arrows, when I port across. I did hit it while I was using the "auto-switch" mode in the farm.

I couldn't figure out a way to either hoik, or drop a spiky ball, into them without ruining the aesthetic though, but I'm going to keep thinking on it. I'll be curious to know how much of the stuff I've stolen built survives the transition.

Posting from phone, storm knocked internet out. Having problems with slime invincibility. Originally tried in your world but dummies were dissociated with ghost. Tried manually placing to no avail. Used tedit to copy/paste into my world. Dummies worked but kept getting bumped from slime invincibility. Assumed spider pets were culprit. Same thing. Would get bumped from machine or timing on jumps would be off enough to let me take damage. Tried redesign with extras row of hoiks to box me in better. Nothing. Once again,Tried manually placing dummies. Seemed to help but still getting bumped. Seems higher chance if I switch sides. Will keep testing. Wanted to design something similar but I'm a dummy. Maybe I should trade places with the dummies. Couldn't think of how to get bats to port to kill box or how to do multiple surfaces. You really are a genius and life saver. Your creations are so amazing.

After a few hours of playing around I figured out a couple of things. Wanting to be careful of what weapons I used I decided to just let the machine run. This resulted in mobs eventually piling up in the kill box and get stuck in the ceiling of the kill box near the light switches. Second, I had to remove the marble and granite entirely. Even inactive the blocks were causing a lot of granite and marble themed mobs to spawn. I'm focusing on Hallow and now I get some Hallow mobs, jungle bats and the usual underground cavern mobs like archers and armored skellies. I also noticed while I get hallow mobs I don't see many Illuminat Bats or Chaos Elementals. Just slimes. That being said, not sure if it's possible but it would be nice if you could deactivate the ice, crimson and corruption. Might consider lizhard bricks too. While it does increase spawn rate you loose mobs to jungle bats. You might know better but is the spawn increase really worth all the bats in this case as they spawn quite frequently. Maybe it would help focus certain biomes better.

Last edited:
So I don't know what the exact problem was but it could be a few things. I replaced the pink ice, purple ice and red ice with their respective stone variations. I had also put player made walls behind the platforms in the spawn area thinking it might be a neutral surface. My guess is it was likely the player made walls that was keeping any Chaos Elemental from spawning. I made a copy of your original design and pasted it into my world over the old one. I then removed the granite and marble. Even inactive granite and marble blocks will spawn the respective mobs. This seemed to fix my problem of no Chaos Elemental. As far as falling off the dummies it was just certain weapons I was using. Great design though, I finally got my Rod of Discord I was after as well as many other drops.

So I don't know what the exact problem was but it could be a few things. I replaced the pink ice, purple ice and red ice with their respective stone variations. I had also put player made walls behind the platforms in the spawn area thinking it might be a neutral surface. My guess is it was likely the player made walls that was keeping any Chaos Elemental from spawning. I made a copy of your original design and pasted it into my world over the old one. I then removed the granite and marble. Even inactive granite and marble blocks will spawn the respective mobs. This seemed to fix my problem of no Chaos Elemental. As far as falling off the dummies it was just certain weapons I was using. Great design though, I finally got my Rod of Discord I was after as well as many other drops.

I spent all day troubleshooting this issue too and turns our the man himself answered it on a reddit post:

Turns out the issue was walls, but not in the spawning chamber. I removed the walls behind the teleporter/platform/above the dummies in my kill chamber and boom, problem instantly solved.

The ones I had placed in the teleporter chamber seemed to be the culprit. I started getting them once I removed them and it didn't take long at all to get the Rod. Good to know that plays a part though. I plan on making my own farm this time so thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom