PC Ultimate survival | Tank/Regen build

I recently beat 4 player expert moon lord with this, didn't even come close to dying because I dodged as if wearing stardust armor.

Everyone is talking about Moon Lord, but it's Duke Fishron the one I wonder how this build performs against.

While the Ankh Shield has a lot of debuff. I find it's use rather situational. and the situation where you need it's debuff resistance is even less during bossfights and invasions.
That's the reason why the Ankh Shield is not a major accessoire.

It's certainely an useful accessoire, and during some events is also useful to have one equipped too, but It's not necessary for this build to become successful.
Ankh Charm is in a big competition against the other defensive accessoires in the minor section, so it's up to you to choose which one will fits you the best. :)

I guess the Ankh Shield would be useful mainly against Duke Fishron. He can inflict Bleeding and Feral Bite on Expert, and both of those debuff screw heavily with regeneration.

Everyone is talking about Moon Lord, but it's Duke Fishron the one I wonder how this build performs against.

I guess the Ankh Shield would be useful mainly against Duke Fishron. He can inflict Bleeding and Feral Bite on Expert, and both of those debuff screw heavily with regeneration.
I tried it against 4 player expert duke, was easier because you have to keep track of less in order to fight him.

That's actually a good question. I've at least mentioned/warned that Fishron can do big damage in a short amount of time. But I've actually not tried it out myself. Though in general this build works better when you're giving it a little time to heal up again.

I guess I should give it a shot.

He can inflict Bleeding and Feral Bite on Expert, and both of those debuff screw heavily with regeneration.
So far Duke Fishron is without a doubt more difficult to stay at one spot than Moon Lord, even with this armor build on normal mode. You'll certainely need wings or some kind of movement to give the life regen a moment to do it's work.

Though, for a little mythbuster:

False, while Bleeding's effect literally says "Cannot regenerate life", it only seem to talk about natural life regeneration. Not the life regeneration from armor and accessories.
It will still be slightly less, but that's not something to worry about.
bleeding ineffective.gif

In comparison with other DoT debuffs, like On Fire!, these will cancel out all forms of life regeneration to slowly lose life.
So these are still something to keep in mind when fighting enemies like Betsy.
Fire Effective.gif

This was stated wrong in my thread, so bleeding is removed as a danger. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Interesting, someone should probably update the wiki with that new information about bleeding...
Edit: I've checked, and it does mention bleeding counters like the band of regeneration, nevermind then I guess.

Last edited:
Well, I've decided to give this build a revisit and a rematch, without moving away:

Without a doubt, Fishron's fast melee attacks and tornadoes that spawn right on top of me made it a more difficult boss to survive than Moon Lord.
But it leaves me with some conclusions too, the
Squire%27s_Great_Helm.png
Squire Helm +
Worm_Scarf.png
Worm Scarf will perform better than the
Chlorophyte_Mask.png
Chlorophyte Helmet +
Worm_Scarf.png
Worm Scarf.
In fact, it may even be stronger than any other possible combination to make with the headgear. Because the Worm Scarf will resist more if you take more damage.
Low damage will get healed up instantly, so there aren't any downsides.
So I'm going to update the OP with this, by making the Squire Helm and Worm Scarf a Major item.

It felt great to revisit and be able to improve the build by a little, so thanks a lot for the suggestion. :)

Have done some research on this build again. And actually...it seems that I've misjudged the
Shiny_Stone.png
Shiny Stone completely.

It really is an useful tool to amplify your high healing rate with, even if you're attacking or get attacked, it's not completely useless. It still amplifies.

On top of that, some summoners out there only prefer their minions to attack. So they may use the increased healing rate as well.

So yes, this basically means that maxing out life regen means maxing out survivability. >:v

I could revisit it's position on this thread again, but then it would only be up to date for like 2 weeks. It's better to wait untill 1.4 is out. :)

So, with 1.4 released, things have quite changed up around.

Valhalla's and Squire sets have been cut through half, Celestial Stones are now less stackable. And Master Mode is introduced, where more enemies are able to deal massive damage, which is harder for the regen armor to recover. Even if it wasn't nerved.

I'd like to research this build further, but I want to do future research in Journey Mode. So I have access to more mechanics and testing in one go. I don't want to rush things. So it would take some time.

On top of that, if I would discover something broken now, it would also be more likely to be fixed. Tough choices, but I appreciate the work of the devs. ;)

Just sharing some thoughts that currently goes into mind:
Regen can still be useful as long as you don't get hit continiously, but at a later stage of the game, one may probably stay alive longer if they've more damage resistence.
Eventually, been able to 'shadow dodge' or 'black belt dodge' a lethal laser may be more useful as well.

Or if you want to go reckless, just grab a Zenith and destroy everything before they can destroy you. The best defence is a good offense, am I right? :p

Guys, there's a new equip in 1.4 using itens from this build:

Can stack pretty well with worm scarf, but using this the build will go more towards a tanker build, not hp regen
The devs actually did it, huh? That's amazing. This might probably be my most preferred shield then. :)

I've been thinking, since a new strategy would probably overhaul this whole build. I think it's better to leave this thread as is, for those sticking with 1.3.5. And then focus on a new thread for 1.4 and later.

The devs actually did it, huh? That's amazing. This might probably be my most preferred shield then. :)

I've been thinking, since a new strategy would probably overhaul this whole build. I think it's better to leave this thread as is, for those sticking with 1.3.5. And then focus on a new thread for 1.4 and later.
That's a good idea! Would be great if you just clarified on the post that the build is kinda outdated you know?
And if you wright another build like this, can you please link for us here? I been using solar set with hp regen equips in the meantime and its solid. One or two potions and I'm immortal again

That's a good idea! Would be great if you just clarified on the post that the build is kinda outdated you know?
And if you wright another build like this, can you please link for us here? I been using solar set with hp regen equips in the meantime and its solid. One or two potions and I'm immortal again
For now I've added the notice that it's meant for 1.3.5. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll probably update the main thread later with this, but since Terraria is still up to hotfixes, I'll do a quick rundown for now:

Current tested version: 1.4.0.5

As far I've tested, this is my current pre-ML build that I've found the most useful against Expert Moon Lord:
1591528142441.png

Armor:
- The Squire's Great Helm and the Chlorophyte Mask were already in competition against each other, and now both have been nerved. Personally, I think having more defence is more useful than relying on the Squire's life regen to make up for it. Thus so far, Hallowed Mask with 24 defence has earned it's top spot. (It also was the most offensive melee helmet as well, lol)
- Valhalla's Chestpiece may no longer be broken, but it's still viable to use, it's however more in competition with Beetle Armor's set bonus though.
- The Valhalla Leggings have been buffed in defence, and may have become the most defensive leggings so far. Which makes up for the lost defence of the Chestpiece.

Overall, this set works pretty well, but it comes in competition with Beetle Armor's set bonus with Shell. Both rely on not getting hit too much to work efficient.
For Master Mode, I certainely recommend Beetle Armor. As the damage reduction scales with the damage, where life regen remains the same.
Accessoires:
A rundown of probably major accessoires to use:
- Celestial Shell, Cross Necklace and Worm Scarf remain as they are.
- The Frozen Shield may have become my favorite shield by now. Immumity to Knockback, 6 defence and extra damage resistence after reaching half health is very welcoming.

As for other possible options:
- Flesh Knuckles and it's tinkers are decent options as well. 7 extra raw defence is already enough to make up the loss of Celestial Stone stacking.
- This part may become a bit luck-reliable, but the Brain of Confusion and the Black Belt work really well as dodging accessoires, you also get extra immumity frames if you're wearing the Cross Necklace as well. Even just having 1 dodge may already make up for other accessoires it could've used instead.
- Ankh Shield can prove it's use in Expert/Master Mode against debuffs, but the Paladin Shield and it's tinkers tops it's other uses, good thing that it's a vanity accessoire, so you can swap it out whenever needed.
- The Shiny Stone, It's cooldown after getting hit is much shorter than I expected, and with the amplified effect, it may even be worth using over some other accessoires, if you don't mind standing still using only minions though. (This makes it from 'not recommended' to 'minor', so I updated the OP)

Buffs:
1591528528972.png

For now only gonna mention the changes since last time:
- Bast Statue is a new placeable buff (like campfire) that increases defence by 5.
- Major well fed is basically double the well fed buff, which doubles the defence given. (which is only 2 defence though)
- And something I've overlooked in the past, Obsidian Skin Potion actually cancels out On Fire! Which can be helpful against fighting Betsy. (I've also updated the OP with this)

VS Moon Lord
With this build, I've managed to defeat Expert Moon Lord without using cheesy strategies. But standing still in one spot won't do.
You'll still have to move around a bit to dodge some attacks, like the eyeball sphere's, and I had to use Greater Healing potions as well. (Forgotting that Super Healing potions are technically available pre-moon lord)

In my strategy to dodge the Moon Lord's Deathray, I've let me get hit by a weaker attack and then pass through the beam using the Cross Necklace's invinicility frames, the Moon Lord throws a lot of small projectiles at you, so it was not too difficult to get hit before the laser hits you. And if you happen to either Black-Belt-dodge the weaker attack or the Deathray itself, then you're safe too.

Additionally, setting teleporters, using the teleport hook, or even the Magic Mirror may work as well to dodge the Deathray, but there also are some new mobility tools that helps you to dodge the laser by outrunning it.

Hopefully this helps out some of you struggling against the new Moon Lord, Empress of Light strategies. :)

I'll probably update the main thread later with this, but since Terraria is still up to hotfixes, I'll do a quick rundown for now:

Current tested version: 1.4.0.5

As far I've tested, this is my current pre-ML build that I've found the most useful against Expert Moon Lord:
View attachment 276896

Armor:
- The Squire's Great Helm and the Chlorophyte Mask were already in competition against each other, and now both have been nerved. Personally, I think having more defence is more useful than relying on the Squire's life regen to make up for it. Thus so far, Hallowed Mask with 24 defence has earned it's top spot. (It also was the most offensive melee helmet as well, lol)
- Valhalla's Chestpiece may no longer be broken, but it's still viable to use, it's however more in competition with Beetle Armor's set bonus though.
- The Valhalla Leggings have been buffed in defence, and may have become the most defensive leggings so far. Which makes up for the lost defence of the Chestpiece.

Overall, this set works pretty well, but it comes in competition with Beetle Armor's set bonus with Shell. Both rely on not getting hit too much to work efficient.
For Master Mode, I certainely recommend Beetle Armor. As the damage reduction scales with the damage, where life regen remains the same.
Accessoires:
A rundown of probably major accessoires to use:
- Celestial Shell, Cross Necklace and Worm Scarf remain as they are.
- The Frozen Shield may have become my favorite shield by now. Immumity to Knockback, 6 defence and extra damage resistence after reaching half health is very welcoming.

As for other possible options:
- Flesh Knuckles and it's tinkers are decent options as well. 7 extra raw defence is already enough to make up the loss of Celestial Stone stacking.
- This part may become a bit luck-reliable, but the Brain of Confusion and the Black Belt work really well as dodging accessoires, you also get extra immumity frames if you're wearing the Cross Necklace as well. Even just having 1 dodge may already make up for other accessoires it could've used instead.
- Ankh Shield can prove it's use in Expert/Master Mode against debuffs, but the Paladin Shield and it's tinkers tops it's other uses, good thing that it's a vanity accessoire, so you can swap it out whenever needed.
- The Shiny Stone, It's cooldown after getting hit is much shorter than I expected, and with the amplified effect, it may even be worth using over some other accessoires, if you don't mind standing still using only minions though. (This makes it from 'not recommended' to 'minor', so I updated the OP)

Buffs:
View attachment 276897

For now only gonna mention the changes since last time:
- Bast Statue is a new placeable buff (like campfire) that increases defence by 5.
- Major well fed is basically double the well fed buff, which doubles the defence given. (which is only 2 defence though)
- And something I've overlooked in the past, Obsidian Skin Potion actually cancels out On Fire! Which can be helpful against fighting Betsy. (I've also updated the OP with this)

VS Moon Lord
With this build, I've managed to defeat Expert Moon Lord without using cheesy strategies. But standing still in one spot won't do.
You'll still have to move around a bit to dodge some attacks, like the eyeball sphere's, and I had to use Greater Healing potions as well. (Forgotting that Super Healing potions are technically available pre-moon lord)

In my strategy to dodge the Moon Lord's Deathray, I've let me get hit by a weaker attack and then pass through the beam using the Cross Necklace's invinicility frames, the Moon Lord throws a lot of small projectiles at you, so it was not too difficult to get hit before the laser hits you. And if you happen to either Black-Belt-dodge the weaker attack or the Deathray itself, then you're safe too.

Additionally, setting teleporters, using the teleport hook, or even the Magic Mirror may work as well to dodge the Deathray, but there also are some new mobility tools that helps you to dodge the laser by outrunning it.

Hopefully this helps out some of you struggling against the new Moon Lord, Empress of Light strategies. :)

Is the black belt preferable over master ninja gear?

Is the black belt preferable over master ninja gear?
I specifically mentioned the Black Belt as I would equip it for it's 10% dodge chance.
Technically the Master Ninja Gear is a direct upgrade, (same goes for the Star Veil), but I only mentioned the equipment that benefits the build, to ease the grind.

Would the Tabi help dodging bullets and increase survivability even more? Of course, but movement and defence are two different elements to go in-depth about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom