Xbox One Unable to move NPC’s

I have tried every single tiny bit of advice given from anybody here, i tried going to custom and applying Y switch to world, the simplified button layout, making the queuery horizontal. Doing everything to no avail.

there is 2 ways to move NPCs.
the new method which involves 'switch to world' and 'use item' keybinds ('navigate inventory' keybind can also be helpful with this method so can switch which NPC your assigning without having to go back into menu mode and then back into world mode again)
and the old method (yes it DOES still exist) this is using the 'housing query' keybind (good idea to set this with the same key as 'use item') which allows you to assign housing while still in menu mode. only difference now is that it uses the cursor position instead of the player position (helpful for prison houses where the "door" is just 1 block of platform in the wall)

I bought Terraria on PS4 about a week ago. I have been playing mobile and PC off and on for about 7 years. I have followed all the previous steps, nothing worked. I have gone and destroyed every house in the world with a table chair and torch except the houses in use. Then say I want the painter in the jungle. I build the house there then destroy the one he's currently in. I have worked around the issue. I would like this to be fixed cause I'm assuming it's a bug. If I go in the menu and try to query then triangle or Y to go to world the R2 or RT and it doesn't do or say anything. At the bottom it does say R2 for query so it should do something. I have also changed between every setting and set up. This is also my first ever issue with Terraria in my whole 7 years.

Last edited:
I’m unable to assign npc’s to houses or check the housing query. When I try to move an npc into a house or check the housing query it does nothing. I have “housing query” set to RT in the control options. I’ll hover over the house with my cursor while the npc is selected but it does nothing when I try to move them. It doesn’t say my housing is invalid, it just does nothing. I’ve tried disabling other actions set to RT in the options but that doesn’t seem to fix it. I’m not sure if I’m missing something obvious or if this is bugged.
Best way I got it to work is to make a new character entirely and use them to move the npcs, dont know why but it works for me.

still have problems with this. it works about 10% of the time.

Edit: might be the problem is trying to change my settings while the inventory tab is up

Last edited:
I have a similar problem on my switch, but it's with the truffle. Any time I try to set a house to the truffle, it says "This housing is not suitable for the truffle." It's in a mushroom biome, above ground, housing is perfectly polished, yet the truffle is just being stubborn.

still have problems with this. it works about 10% of the time.

Edit: might be the problem is trying to change my settings while the inventory tab is up
Hi @Xythraqos, try this….
  • Open Inventory
  • Hit the right bumper twice to get to the Housing icon (don’t use the left joystick to get to the Housing menu)
  • Use left joystick to choose ?Housing Query -or- an NPC to move
  • Use right joystick to position cursor (if the right joystick doesn’t move the cursor, press the button assigned to “World”, then use right joystick to move the cursor)
  • Press the button assigned to “Query”

I have a similar problem on my switch, but it's with the truffle. Any time I try to set a house to the truffle, it says "This housing is not suitable for the truffle." It's in a mushroom biome, above ground, housing is perfectly polished, yet the truffle is just being stubborn.
Can you post a screenshot of your house for Truffle? Where is he currently living (if you’re wanting to move him)?

• Open Inventory
  • Hit the right bumper twice to get to the Housing icon (don’t use the left joystick to get to the Housing menu)
  • Use right joystick to position cursor (if the right joystick doesn’t move the cursor, press the button assigned to “World”, then use right joystick to move the cursor)

Can you post a screenshot of your house for Truffle? Where is he currently living (if you’re wanting to move him)?
I'm sorry, I can't take a screenshot because I play on switch, but he's living in a mushroom shaped house in the glowing mushroom biome. This is in space, and I can't see the problem as I do this setup every single time for pc, and it works fine. The best I can do is take a photo of the house with a separate camera and upload it, but it will be low quality.

• Open Inventory
i guess using the joystick to get to the housing menu was the real problem. Thank you very much this worked first try.

This doesn’t work at all for me— and I’m late to the party. What happened to just pressing ‘A’ on the NPC’s icon and it transferring them if it was valid? I’ve tried everything that I’ve seen in the post and I can’t get anything to work. I’ve got simplified controls on, ‘switch to world’ as ‘Y’, and then ‘query’ as ‘RT’. It’s almost like it’s not registering that I’m pressing query to begin with. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the controller either…

This doesn’t work at all for me— and I’m late to the party. What happened to just pressing ‘A’ on the NPC’s icon and it transferring them if it was valid? I’ve tried everything that I’ve seen in the post and I can’t get anything to work. I’ve got simplified controls on, ‘switch to world’ as ‘Y’, and then ‘query’ as ‘RT’. It’s almost like it’s not registering that I’m pressing query to begin with. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the controller either…
Make sure that you are using the bumper button to move from inventory to housing menu. Open inventory, bumper to housing menu.

I found that switching accounts or making another player join fixes it. Make them try, then they can leave. This should fix it for you as well as them if they have the problem too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom