Unable to quote posts

I was looking through a thread to quote one of the posts there, however I noticed that neither the quote nor reply buttons were there. I assume this was caused by the anti doublepost system, because my post was the most recent in the thread were I couldn't quote anything, and in a different thread I was still able to quote posts. Is this intentional, or a side effect of the way the anti doublepost system works?

Missing quote and reply buttons:
Screenshot (9).png

Normal placement of buttons for comparison:
Screenshot (10).png

I can understand the reply button being disabled, but why the quote button? as that button just adds it to your quotes list, allowing you to quote posts in a different thread.

I can understand the reply button being disabled, but why the quote button? as that button just adds it to your quotes list, allowing you to quote posts in a different thread.
Maybe when the forum devs did the update, they didn't consider that you could use the added quotes in a different thread.

Also, one of the other problems I could see with not being able to quote while your post is the most recent in the thread, is that if someone posted before you and you didn't notice their post before you replied, then you can't add their post as a quote to your reply by editing.

Also, one of the other problems I could see with not being able to quote while your post is the most recent in the thread, is that if someone posted before you and you didn't notice their post before you replied, then you can't add their post as a quote to your reply by editing.
You couldn’t even do that before, you would have to manually do it yourself or make a “draft” and copy it and add it into the post.

Well, what you described is what I'd do, but to copy and paste it you need to have it quoted. The reason I'd need to quote it to copy it is so it works properly.

You couldn’t even do that before, you would have to manually do it yourself or make a “draft” and copy it and add it into the post.

Greybrynn said:
Notice how one of these example quotes has an arrow? That's by quoting it. I could then copy the BB code of the quote, and could paste it into an edited post. By just copying the text and putting in the BB code myself it won't link to the actual post, and I don't think it will send an alert as a quoted post either.

I was looking through a thread to quote one of the posts there, however I noticed that neither the quote nor reply buttons were there. I assume this was caused by the anti doublepost system, because my post was the most recent in the thread were I couldn't quote anything, and in a different thread I was still able to quote posts. Is this intentional, or a side effect of the way the anti doublepost system works?

Missing quote and reply buttons:
View attachment 308840

Normal placement of buttons for comparison:
View attachment 308839
Thanks for bringing this up @Dragonwolf73 - we'll look into it. Not sure if it's something that can be fixed/changed or not, but we'll try.

Since the latest forum update, posting privileges are blocked on threads that you were the last poster. This is good, since it blocks double posting, but it also blocks messages from being added to the multi-quote, which makes it annoying to quote another member in an edit. I'm not sure how hard this would be to change but it is kinda annoying.

Since the latest forum update, posting privileges are blocked on threads that you were the last poster. This is good, since it blocks double posting, but it also blocks messages from being added to the multi-quote, which makes it annoying to quote another member in an edit. I'm not sure how hard this would be to change but it is kinda annoying.
Hi there @Etotheipi i moved your post into this thread since it’s about the same topic. It’s something we are aware of and hoping to fix.

Oh, oops sorry, I should've checked for duplicates.
And actually, I should correct myself. It’s not something that needs to be “fixed” since it’s not behavior that is broken. It is acting as intended.

Even before the update, the “Insert Quotes” button was not visible while editing a post, so it’s not different behavior than before. But with the removal of the reply box (in which you could insert then copy/paste into your edit) it makes it more difficult.

So it’s not broken, however, we are looking into ways to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom