Xbox One Unacceptable game performance makes endgame unplayable

Nystrai

Terrarian
Okay Ive gotta vent here for a moment.

You guys really dropped the ball here. I could deal with he occasional weirdness. Even the FPS drops. But the lunar events are literally unplayable. We’re talking sub 10fps on the lunar events in split screen multiplayer. And the moon lord dropped to less than 1 FPS.

This has happened twice to me and my wife today back to back with a full shut down and restart of my Xbox one X in between to rule out the console itself.

You’ve had since March to get these issues fixed, instead your working on mobile and switch and I find this absolutely horrifying from a customer perspective.

RYou really should be dedicating all available resources to fixing the problems that you created when rewriting the game, not attempting to pull more money from two other platforms.

I place this issue solely in the hands of pipe works because anyone with an Xbox one would have experienced these issues. And the fact that it only takes two people to notice these gamebreaking problems says that you hardly did any quality assurance with these patch launches whatsoever.

Anyway I’m done ranting. You need to fix this, and to anyone who says I should cut the devs some slack, remember that even free updates shouldn’t ruin an otherwise well working product.

Especially if that product is on a platform that gives little to no choice over updates.

This release wasn’t ready and Pipeworks should be putting out this fire not starting two more.

I’ll update with a link to YouTube and a screen shot showing the literal slideshow we got to experience when I have a chance.

Edited to include screenshot.

I’ll upload to YouTube when I figure out how to do that from my Xbox one x.

Attachments

• 5FD7D560-84FD-403B-801F-E73CBBF57798.png
    5FD7D560-84FD-403B-801F-E73CBBF57798.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Okay Ive gotta vent here for a moment.

You guys really dropped the ball here. I could deal with he occasional weirdness. Even the FPS drops. But the lunar events are literally unplayable. We’re talking sub 10fps on the lunar events in split screen multiplayer. And the moon lord dropped to less than 1 FPS.

This has happened twice to me and my wife today back to back with a full shut down and restart of my Xbox one X in between to rule out the console itself.

You’ve had since March to get these issues fixed, instead your working on mobile and switch and I find this absolutely horrifying from a customer perspective.

RYou really should be dedicating all available resources to fixing the problems that you created when rewriting the game, not attempting to pull more money from two other platforms.

I place this issue solely in the hands of pipe works because anyone with an Xbox one would have experienced these issues. And the fact that it only takes two people to notice these gamebreaking problems says that you hardly did any quality assurance with these patch launches whatsoever.

Anyway I’m done ranting. You need to fix this, and to anyone who says I should cut the devs some slack, remember that even free updates shouldn’t ruin an otherwise well working product.

Especially if that product is on a platform that gives little to no choice over updates.

This release wasn’t ready and Pipeworks should be putting out this fire not starting two more.

I’ll update with a link to YouTube and a screen shot showing the literal slideshow we got to experience when I have a chance.

Edited to include screenshot.

I’ll upload to YouTube when I figure out how to do that from my Xbox one x.
The majority of Pipeworks team are still working on fixing the issues of Xbox One and PS4. It's unfortunate that these issues still exist but they're not being ignored. The fact is that the dev kits they work on for development can not 100% match the configurations of the thousands of people playing the game. Software development isn't bug free on any scale. That's why you see updates from Microsoft, Mac, etc. You're feelings are valid and far from ignored.

hi thanks for getting back to me. While I appreciate you me quick reply. I can’t honestly buy that in the case of console development. In which case I’ve actually seen the Xbox one sdk. This would be giving you guys a completely accurate representation of the system frame rate while playing the game.

While I completely agree with you the the pc side of things is going to have wildly varying configurations and operating systems, consoles do not. They are fixed hardware, all the same as to fit to a set of standard specifications as to promote consistent performance assuming the code being run on the platform has been optimized properly, which in this case it clearly hasn’t.

My post never brought the pc side of things into the conversation, now while I understand that the game is developed first for pc. The console ports do expect a minimum level of consistency, which this game has failed to meet.

At any rate it seems that if you want a good terraria experience pc is the only way to go.

I regret purchasing this game for Xbox one and PS4 as it happens I own both. But hey that’s 40$ that I’ll never see again and a lesson learned. I also own 4 copies on steam and I guess it’s time to build a new computer and just throw horsepower at it to overcome code inefficiency.

I’ll leave it with this and you can close this thread, you’ve let down a customer and his entire family.

The Xbox one x can run the Witcher 3 in 4K at locked 30fps but it can’t run terraria for beans. Maybe you guys should have hired cd projekt red instead to do your ports it seems as though their quality and standards and sense of urgency are more in line with their customer base and when they see a problem the fix it in weeks, not years.

Lock the thread if you want, I know I’m not going to get a straight answer just more “soon”

hi thanks for getting back to me. While I appreciate you me quick reply. I can’t honestly buy that in the case of console development. In which case I’ve actually seen the Xbox one sdk. This would be giving you guys a completely accurate representation of the system frame rate while playing the game.

While I completely agree with you the the pc side of things is going to have wildly varying configurations and operating systems, consoles do not. They are fixed hardware, all the same as to fit to a set of standard specifications as to promote consistent performance assuming the code being run on the platform has been optimized properly, which in this case it clearly hasn’t.

My post never brought the pc side of things into the conversation, now while I understand that the game is developed first for pc. The console ports do expect a minimum level of consistency, which this game has failed to meet.

At any rate it seems that if you want a good terraria experience pc is the only way to go.

I regret purchasing this game for Xbox one and PS4 as it happens I own both. But hey that’s 40$ that I’ll never see again and a lesson learned. I also own 4 copies on steam and I guess it’s time to build a new computer and just throw horsepower at it to overcome code inefficiency.

I’ll leave it with this and you can close this thread, you’ve let down a customer and his entire family.

The Xbox one x can run the Witcher 3 in 4K at locked 30fps but it can’t run terraria for beans. Maybe you guys should have hired cd projekt red instead to do your ports it seems as though their quality and standards and sense of urgency are more in line with their customer base and when they see a problem the fix it in weeks, not years.

Lock the thread if you want, I know I’m not going to get a straight answer just more “soon”
What you have downloaded and running on your xbox one is going to affect performance. In this way practically no one's xbox is identical even with the same hardware. You assume they didn't test their game but that makes no sense given that they were obviously willing to delay release until they believed it was up to snuff.
Given that you mentioned another studio that opens up a whole new bag of conditions. You can hardly assume that ReLogic and Pipeworks have access to the same amount of resources as cd projekt red (they are quoted as having over 200 employees when they developed Witcher 3) meanwhile Re-Logic doesn't have even 20 employees only a handful of which actually deal with software. And Pipeworks apparently has around 52 employees with only an unknown percentage of them actually working on Terraria.
Fixing coding errors is far from simple especially when what might be required to fix one issue often creates new issues elsewhere in the code.
Your frustrations are understandable and your money is yours to spend however you wish. I'm merely trying to give you a different perspective on your experiences with Terraria so far.

Thank you again for the reply. It’s not that I’ve got an axe to grind here. And I apologize for coming off that way. It’s just that this game has sold a literal butt ton of copies at this point and I know they aren’t really doing it for the money else we’d be seeing dlc and a terrible ea-esqe Nickle and dime operation.

But this game continues to perform as evidenced by the loads of people who buy not just on one platform but on many others adding to the pool of resources available to polish and fix this product. I don’t dispute that fixing code errors is hard. I know this empirically, I’m simply saying that even if we would have had to wait, 1.3 was undercooked and needed more time in the console department.

In regards to your comment about the Xbox one ecosystem, games run in a virtual machine, isolated from any other potential process. The same goes with any apps you may have suspended in the background. Developers are given a set amount of ram and a set amount of cpu cores and gpu resources that they have well documented at their disposal. The environment is static, coupled with the fact that the software running on the Xbox must be up to date or you cannot access any functions requiring an internet connection, I.e the terraria 1.3 update.

I just wanted to point out that the software environments of game consoles, this applies to all of them, are meticulously created to be a walled garden of sorts where a game at least in the case of the ps4 and Xbox one cannot be effected by other processes, it is incapable of interfering with the operating system and is isolated for security.

Anyway. I hope they get things caught up. I saw the tree swaying in the latest teaser and I’m hoping it isn’t a year before we can have 1.3.6 it looks really nice.

Thanks again.

Edit: spelling.

Back
Top Bottom